Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely


I wouldn't go that far.

they've claimed that they would be admitting the same people as they would have before the scholly, but one can only wonder as to the truth of that

Read it carefully, dude. Johann technically said that their overall admission practices/targets will be the same, in response to a question about the ED. He was very careful not to say that ED admissions will be the same. I can't imagine that it possibly will be.

At the same time, if you at LSN, for last year's cycle at Chicago, only three (probably) people who were offered at least $75k actually chose to attend. And those people were offered 75k, 75k, and 90k. http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... 00&type=jd

So, no one on LSN actually took the Rubenstein offer. It's possible that Northwestern will see that and be more aggressive towards mild splitters, with the thinking that if NU doesn't lock them in with the scholly, they'll go MVPB. NU has dropped a spot in the rankings each of the past two years, so this is their attempt to get out of the DCGT bracket and into the MVPB bracket.

TL;DR NU will almost certainly accept fewer people this cycle via ED, but I like your chances, Jam.



Since when is "DCGT" a bracket?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:30 am

Real Madrid wrote:
Since when is "DCGT" a bracket?

It's not.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
Since when is "DCGT" a bracket?

It's not.

If you have YHS, CCN, and MVPB, the rest of the T14/T would thus be DNCGT. I used it merely for illustrative purposes. Sooooo sorry I used an acronym not included in the official TLS glossary. :roll:

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Samara wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
Since when is "DCGT" a bracket?

It's not.

If you have YHS, CCN, and MVPB, the rest of the T14/T would thus be DNCGT. I used it merely for illustrative purposes. Sooooo sorry I used an acronym not included in the official TLS glossary. :roll:


LOL at the outrage over your statement. Weird.

JamMasterJ wrote:
jim-green wrote:Jam,
Mum is right. Go for the $$$ in today's job mkt. Plus it is a great school.
Personally, I wish I had your problem. It is a good problem to have. My own situation is that I already have the $$$ for tuition but feel scared about the loss in salary over the next 3 years in law school. So for me scholly $$$ is no attraction.

I think you guys might be overestimating my chances at getting in ED. Also, my WE is pretty weak


We're in the same boat over this decision.

booasa
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby booasa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely


I wouldn't go that far.

they've claimed that they would be admitting the same people as they would have before the scholly, but one can only wonder as to the truth of that

Read it carefully, dude. Johann technically said that their overall admission practices/targets will be the same, in response to a question about the ED. He was very careful not to say that ED admissions will be the same. I can't imagine that it possibly will be.

At the same time, if you at LSN, for last year's cycle at Chicago, only three (probably) people who were offered at least $75k actually chose to attend. And those people were offered 75k, 75k, and 90k. http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... 00&type=jd

So, no one on LSN actually took the Rubenstein offer. It's possible that Northwestern will see that and be more aggressive towards mild splitters, with the thinking that if NU doesn't lock them in with the scholly, they'll go MVPB. NU has dropped a spot in the rankings each of the past two years, so this is their attempt to get out of the DCGT bracket and into the MVPB bracket.

TL;DR NU will almost certainly accept fewer people this cycle via ED, but I like your chances, Jam.

This is wrong. Indy was a Rubenstein

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:37 pm

booasa wrote:
Samara wrote:Read it carefully, dude. Johann technically said that their overall admission practices/targets will be the same, in response to a question about the ED. He was very careful not to say that ED admissions will be the same. I can't imagine that it possibly will be.

At the same time, if you at LSN, for last year's cycle at Chicago, only three (probably) people who were offered at least $75k actually chose to attend. And those people were offered 75k, 75k, and 90k. http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... 00&type=jd

So, no one on LSN actually took the Rubenstein offer. It's possible that Northwestern will see that and be more aggressive towards mild splitters, with the thinking that if NU doesn't lock them in with the scholly, they'll go MVPB. NU has dropped a spot in the rankings each of the past two years, so this is their attempt to get out of the DCGT bracket and into the MVPB bracket.

TL;DR NU will almost certainly accept fewer people this cycle via ED, but I like your chances, Jam.

This is wrong. Indy was a Rubenstein

Oops, you're right. I was going to type two different things, and one wrong thing came out.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Also, sometimes people put their options and not where they actually decided to go.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Xifeng wrote:Also, sometimes people put their options and not where they actually decided to go.

Hey Xifeng, does Chi consider ED'ers for scholarship money?

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Also, sometimes people put their options and not where they actually decided to go.

Hey Xifeng, does Chi consider ED'ers for scholarship money?


Uhhh I'm not sure. The only person I know who applied ED didn't get any. I would assume they probably don't give EDers any money, though.

ETA: nevermind, apparently they gave out $15k to some EDers this year: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =3&type=jd

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Flash » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Xifeng wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Also, sometimes people put their options and not where they actually decided to go.

Hey Xifeng, does Chi consider ED'ers for scholarship money?


Uhhh I'm not sure. The only person I know who applied ED didn't get any. I would assume they probably don't give EDers any money, though.

ETA: nevermind, apparently they gave out $15k to some EDers this year: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =3&type=jd

:evil:

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Can anybody give me a fair idea of how important softs are? I have a 172/3.97 (167 before retake), but I honestly have below average/poor softs (i.e. my resume is 4/5 of a page after much thinking and formatting to lengthen...). My PS is pretty airtight but not particularly fascinating. Maybe I'm overreacting, but how much can softs hurt you exactly?

User avatar
cubbiesyear
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cubbiesyear » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:38 pm

checking in. see you all in Hyde Park

I really, really hope so anyway

User avatar
nine-and-fifty
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nine-and-fifty » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
nine-and-fifty wrote:Sitting at 178/3.5x and I can't stop vacillating between ED and RD. Do you guys feel that the boost is substantial enough (yay for gut feelings!) to give up all other prospects?


My numbers are almost exactly the same. I do think ED would be pretty close to a lock, but obviously a lot of other factors go into that decision.


Thanks for the response. ED it is (somehow I went from "I'd love to attend" to "I need to attend").
Also, no longer stressing about this is the greatest thing.
Last edited by nine-and-fifty on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Same call for me. 3.98, 170, not really worth holding out hope at H/S and risking a WL at UChicago. Probably will ED.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:46 am

nine-and-fifty wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
nine-and-fifty wrote:Sitting at 178/3.5x and I can't stop vacillating between ED and RD. Do you guys feel that the boost is substantial enough (yay for gut feelings!) to give up all other prospects?


My numbers are almost exactly the same. I do think ED would be pretty close to a lock, but obviously a lot of other factors go into that decision.


Thanks for the response. ED it is (somehow I went from "I'd love to attend" to "I need to attend").
Also, no longer stressing about this is the greatest thing.

still stressing about this, but I'm feeling about the same :lol:

User avatar
j12
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby j12 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Can anybody give me a fair idea of how important softs are? I have a 172/3.97 (167 before retake), but I honestly have below average/poor softs (i.e. my resume is 4/5 of a page after much thinking and formatting to lengthen...). My PS is pretty airtight but not particularly fascinating. Maybe I'm overreacting, but how much can softs hurt you exactly?

I think the general consensus is that unless you have awesome softs that make you stand out, or a complete lack of softs that may cause people to wonder if you ever do anything the spectrum in the middle doesn't make much difference. Good luck.

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Can anybody give me a fair idea of how important softs are? I have a 172/3.97 (167 before retake), but I honestly have below average/poor softs (i.e. my resume is 4/5 of a page after much thinking and formatting to lengthen...). My PS is pretty airtight but not particularly fascinating. Maybe I'm overreacting, but how much can softs hurt you exactly?


I'm on the other side, trying to make my softs really stand out since my gpa is nothing amazing. Really think about everything you do. For any internships or jobs, discuss what the firm does or especially if it's a Fortune 500. If you are bilingual or conducted work in a different language, include that. If you ran a marathon, are a black belt, are an accomplished musician, an Eagle scout...all of these things are experiences which are meaningful. I read the Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions and she discusses what other sorts of things you can include on your resume but you might not think about doing. Figure out how you want the admissions council to see you then focus your resume that way.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:01 pm

App submitted!

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anewaphorist » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Mine too! ED.

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby American_in_China » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:40 pm

ED app submitted. Let's go heavy splitters!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 pm

American_in_China wrote:ED app submitted. Let's go heavy splitters!

wow, that is a heavy split. I think I'll be submitting ED early next week

ETA: If I ED

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
American_in_China wrote:ED app submitted. Let's go heavy splitters!

wow, that is a heavy split. I think I'll be submitting ED early next week

ETA: If I ED


You're EDing to Chi bro. Just do it. Like Nike.

User avatar
nine-and-fifty
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nine-and-fifty » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:03 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
American_in_China wrote:ED app submitted. Let's go heavy splitters!

wow, that is a heavy split. I think I'll be submitting ED early next week

ETA: If I ED


You're EDing to Chi bro. Just do it. Like Nike.


If he did, he'd have to stop being a tease about it. And that's simply no fun.

User avatar
mickeyD
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mickeyD » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:39 pm

tagged. good luck everyone!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:58 pm

nine-and-fifty wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
American_in_China wrote:ED app submitted. Let's go heavy splitters!

wow, that is a heavy split. I think I'll be submitting ED early next week

ETA: If I ED


You're EDing to Chi bro. Just do it. Like Nike.


If he did, he'd have to stop being a tease about it. And that's simply no fun.

It's not being a tease if you're not that hot




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mse2020, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests