Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:51 pm

3.5/166/166/176

I was set on NU ED for the new 120K scholarship, but what are my chances at U of Chicago? Would I need ED? RD for money?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:3.5/166/166/176

I was set on NU ED for the new 120K scholarship, but what are my chances at U of Chicago? Would I need ED? RD for money?


I'd think ED locks it in based on past cycles, but with the Ruby money and the huge GPA 25th/median increases RD is a roll of the dice for us.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:3.5/166/166/176

I was set on NU ED for the new 120K scholarship, but what are my chances at U of Chicago? Would I need ED? RD for money?


I'd think ED locks it in based on past cycles, but with the Ruby money and the huge GPA 25th/median increases RD is a roll of the dice for us.

I figured. I'll probably ED NU then

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:3.5/166/166/176

I was set on NU ED for the new 120K scholarship, but what are my chances at U of Chicago? Would I need ED? RD for money?


I'd think ED locks it in based on past cycles, but with the Ruby money and the huge GPA 25th/median increases RD is a roll of the dice for us.

I figured. I'll probably ED NU then


Yeah man, I think ED NU is the safe bet to try to snag that scholarship. Chicago is just tough to call with the massive increase in GPA numbers.

ETA: I guess it depends on what numbers people think are needed for the ED $$. Do you need to be above both medians?

The ED to Chicago would force you in all likelihood to pay sticker, so if you're okay with that.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:3.5/166/166/176

I was set on NU ED for the new 120K scholarship, but what are my chances at U of Chicago? Would I need ED? RD for money?


I'd think ED locks it in based on past cycles, but with the Ruby money and the huge GPA 25th/median increases RD is a roll of the dice for us.

I figured. I'll probably ED NU then


Yeah man, I think ED NU is the safe bet to try to snag that scholarship. Chicago is just tough to call with the massive increase in GPA numbers.

ETA: I guess it depends on what numbers people think are needed for the ED $$. Do you need to be above both medians?

The ED to Chicago would force you in all likelihood to pay sticker, so if you're okay with that.

Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely


I wouldn't go that far.

Mavraides87
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mavraides87 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:15 am

Tiago thanks for being sensible.

That 176 is stout for sure, but with no historical precedent on NU ED with full scholly too hard for anyone to say if it is likely.

Personally I think they will only give NU ED admits to above 75's on both and/or people with amazing softs. But I'm wrong a lot so you might have a great chance.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely


I wouldn't go that far.

they've claimed that they would be admitting the same people as they would have before the scholly, but one can only wonder as to the truth of that

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:18 am

What's up guys, checking in with my October LSAT. Chicago is one of my reaches but I love this place from everything I hear. Does a 3.9+/170 get me anywhere RD or ED? Don't mean to take over the thread but just trying to weigh a T6 ED vs. T14 with some money. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
Cosmopolitanist
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Cosmopolitanist » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 am

Alright. I left Chicago for San Francisco, but this will be a good reason to go back. Best of luck all!

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby elibrarian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely


I wouldn't go that far.

they've claimed that they would be admitting the same people as they would have before the scholly, but one can only wonder as to the truth of that


I think they said the process of review would be the same, not that the same people (splitters) would necessarily be accepted.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 am

No way would the same people get in ED now that it comes with a fully scholly, simply because it will be much much more competitive than in past years (or they will scrap it next year). Its a clear attempt to raise their numbers by locking in people they give scholarships too. I would say to qualify they would probably be looking for someone at least above one 75th and above the other median (though HP may be right, it will depend on what the new offer attracts, which given the bad press about law school debt may be better candidates looking to simply avoid the uncertainty).

Anyhow, Congratulations on the great LSAT score! I think ED gives you a good Chicago shot JamJ, but I don't think there will be alot of money in it. You are def a splitter for them and I think the RD money will most likely go to those above both medians and up. I've seen it happen otherwise though. If I were you, given NU's great employment prospects and the chance you *might* get the ED scholarship, ED there and hope for the best. Apply to Chicago RD and hope for the best. Won't NU just "reserve" you if you don't qualify for ED off the bat?

To the other person with the 170/3.9+, I think you def get in ED. Its obvious they are trying to really keep their GPA up and your LSAT is by no means low. That said, I think you have a good shot at RD. Hard to say on $$ though. So it just depends on how you feel about their peer schools or having a shot at HYS.

m3taphysician
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby m3taphysician » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi all,

Just submitted by app on LSAC today. When should I expect my status checker information? Does it normally get processed several days after submission?


Thanks!

User avatar
nine-and-fifty
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nine-and-fifty » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Sitting at 178/3.5x and I can't stop vacillating between ED and RD. Do you guys feel that the boost is substantial enough (yay for gut feelings!) to give up all other prospects?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm

nine-and-fifty wrote:Sitting at 178/3.5x and I can't stop vacillating between ED and RD. Do you guys feel that the boost is substantial enough (yay for gut feelings!) to give up all other prospects?


My numbers are almost exactly the same. I do think ED would be pretty close to a lock, but obviously a lot of other factors go into that decision.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 pm

MumofCad wrote:To the other person with the 170/3.9+, I think you def get in ED. Its obvious they are trying to really keep their GPA up and your LSAT is by no means low. That said, I think you have a good shot at RD. Hard to say on $$ though. So it just depends on how you feel about their peer schools or having a shot at HYS.


Thanks for your response. I was thinking along the same lines as this. There are a few people with similar numbers on LSN who got a tiny bit of money from here but also a few got H off the waitlist (very rare)and who got good money at MVP. So I'll have to think hard about whethe the ED boost is worth sticker and other offers. Good luck to everyone else, can't wait to hear when the decisions start rolling in.

User avatar
blank403
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:18 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby blank403 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:53 pm

3.43/172 ED app sent in.

new gpa stats = disheartening =(

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Not really wanting to pay sticker anywhere when the NU 120K seems fairly(?) likely


I wouldn't go that far.

they've claimed that they would be admitting the same people as they would have before the scholly, but one can only wonder as to the truth of that

Read it carefully, dude. Johann technically said that their overall admission practices/targets will be the same, in response to a question about the ED. He was very careful not to say that ED admissions will be the same. I can't imagine that it possibly will be.

At the same time, if you at LSN, for last year's cycle at Chicago, only three (probably) people who were offered at least $75k actually chose to attend. And those people were offered 75k, 75k, and 90k. http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... 00&type=jd

So, no one on LSN actually took the Rubenstein offer. It's possible that Northwestern will see that and be more aggressive towards mild splitters, with the thinking that if NU doesn't lock them in with the scholly, they'll go MVPB. NU has dropped a spot in the rankings each of the past two years, so this is their attempt to get out of the DCGT bracket and into the MVPB bracket.

TL;DR NU will almost certainly accept fewer people this cycle via ED, but I like your chances, Jam.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:17 am

After talking to my fiancee about job prospects vs. overall debt, I am starting to swing back to Chicago ED. FFFFffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :? :?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 am

JamMasterJ wrote:After talking to my fiancee about job prospects vs. overall debt, I am starting to swing back to Chicago ED. FFFFffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :? :?

hahaha, and this is exactly why you'd have a decent chance at the NU scholly.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:26 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:After talking to my fiancee about job prospects vs. overall debt, I am starting to swing back to Chicago ED. FFFFffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :? :?

hahaha, and this is exactly why you'd have a decent chance at the NU scholly.

maybe. I dunno

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:After talking to my fiancee about job prospects vs. overall debt, I am starting to swing back to Chicago ED. FFFFffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :? :?

hahaha, and this is exactly why you'd have a decent chance at the NU scholly.

maybe. I dunno

Yeah, it's a tough decision. I'm enjoying this three-thread conversation because I get to play both sides of the debate.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 am

Seriously Jam, go for the $$$. It will give you so much more security without knowing how you'll fair in law school. And NU has great employment prospects. Are you wanting to go big law?

I wish this whole thing weren't so complicated, with the money and the EDs and each school now coming up with their own programs to attract candidates. Wouldn't it be nice if they did their recruiting in the spring and used the fall to sit down, read applicants, and give out timelier responses so that candidates could reasonably expect to get more than one shot at an ED or what not? I would really like to see numbers on how many qualified people up and decide to apply to a school based on a recruiting event. Seems like a grand waste of money to me. They ought to do them online only if they must continue the tradition.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:15 am

Jam,
Mum is right. Go for the $$$ in today's job mkt. Plus it is a great school.
Personally, I wish I had your problem. It is a good problem to have. My own situation is that I already have the $$$ for tuition but feel scared about the loss in salary over the next 3 years in law school. So for me scholly $$$ is no attraction.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:19 am

jim-green wrote:Jam,
Mum is right. Go for the $$$ in today's job mkt. Plus it is a great school.
Personally, I wish I had your problem. It is a good problem to have. My own situation is that I already have the $$$ for tuition but feel scared about the loss in salary over the next 3 years in law school. So for me scholly $$$ is no attraction.

I think you guys might be overestimating my chances at getting in ED. Also, my WE is pretty weak




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, Chipotle85, Christinabruin, JazzyMac, Long shot hero, PDX4343, ProductofUnreality, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests