Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ScoutFinch
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScoutFinch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 pm

thelong wrote:Just went under review. Hooray! Now to wait for two more under reviews...

Submitted 1/5, complete 1/27 UR 2/15.


Good luck! I got my second UR today, first was yesterday. Hoping they don't ding me tomorrow :(

steelers2012
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby steelers2012 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been posted earlier in the thread but I was just curious how those of you who have gotten accepted heard back (email/status checker/snail mail). I just went under second review today after first UR on 2/9 so hopefully I hear back soon

Best of luck to the rest of the applicant pool!

User avatar
brettashley
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brettashley » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:16 pm

steelers2012 wrote:Hey guys, I'm sure this has been posted earlier in the thread but I was just curious how those of you who have gotten accepted heard back (email/status checker/snail mail). I just went under second review today after first UR on 2/9 so hopefully I hear back soon

Best of luck to the rest of the applicant pool!


I realized after seeing this post that I never put my dates up for data, so I hope this helps.

Submit: 12/20
App Complete: 1/11
UR: Late Jan (forgot the actual date), 2/7, and then 2/9
Decision: 2/10

It definitely does feel like 3 URs yields a decision, but I don't think that's by any means a hard and fast rule.

User avatar
moxy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Went UR today (2/17). I will update tomorrow as soon as I am dinged.

User avatar
mr_unemployed
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mr_unemployed » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:09 pm

moxy wrote:Went UR today (2/17). I will update tomorrow as soon as I am dinged.


you're funny, moxy :lol:

User avatar
moxy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm

mr_unemployed wrote:
moxy wrote:Went UR today (2/17). I will update tomorrow as soon as I am dinged.


you're funny, moxy :lol:


With numbers like mine, being funny is my only chance at a successful application. I hope you were not being sarcastic :)

User avatar
mr_unemployed
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mr_unemployed » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 pm

moxy wrote:
mr_unemployed wrote:
moxy wrote:Went UR today (2/17). I will update tomorrow as soon as I am dinged.


you're funny, moxy :lol:


With numbers like mine, being funny is my only chance at a successful application. I hope you were not being sarcastic :)


no, not sarcastic. your gloomy outlook - "they are going to spend one day reviewing my application and then ding me the next day without a second review or any other due diligence" - was funny the same way that eeyore is funny. i think that they will give you a fair shot. good luck, and i'm rooting for you!

User avatar
moxy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 pm

mr_unemployed wrote:
moxy wrote:
mr_unemployed wrote:
moxy wrote:Went UR today (2/17). I will update tomorrow as soon as I am dinged.


you're funny, moxy :lol:


With numbers like mine, being funny is my only chance at a successful application. I hope you were not being sarcastic :)


no, not sarcastic. your gloomy outlook - "they are going to spend one day reviewing my application and then ding me the next day without a second review or any other due diligence" - was funny the same way that eeyore is funny. i think that they will give you a fair shot. good luck, and i'm rooting for you!


If your LSN page, and the numbers are your reals numbers .. I am rooting for you bro .. otherwise .... fu lol .. I'm just kidding .. good luck!!

User avatar
mr_unemployed
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mr_unemployed » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:32 pm

moxy wrote:
mr_unemployed wrote:
moxy wrote:
mr_unemployed wrote:
you're funny, moxy :lol:


With numbers like mine, being funny is my only chance at a successful application. I hope you were not being sarcastic :)


no, not sarcastic. your gloomy outlook - "they are going to spend one day reviewing my application and then ding me the next day without a second review or any other due diligence" - was funny the same way that eeyore is funny. i think that they will give you a fair shot. good luck, and i'm rooting for you!


If your LSN page, and the numbers are your reals numbers .. I am rooting for you bro .. otherwise .... fu lol .. I'm just kidding .. good luck!!


already waitlisted. but i'll take the luck anyway. i'm planning to submit a LOCI.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 2014 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 pm

I posted this in the admissions forum but curious what you guys think. Do you think it would be to my advantage to visit in hopes of showing interest and getting off the WL? And for those who have visited do you schedule your visit and talk to anyone in admissions or just show up?

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:17 pm

ttt

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:21 am

Any bets on when they will send the (non-Ruby) financial aid emails this year? They mentioned in an email that it would be sometime this week. I just checked, and last year the emails went out on a Friday (02/18).

User avatar
brogoc
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby brogoc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

.

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Received the admitted student package today and it is incredibly impressive. VERY excited about the prospect of attending! 8)

User avatar
ru1ess
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:39 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ru1ess » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm

UR 2: 2/22/2012..... Chicago is moving today, keeping the faith

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby boosk » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

I havent been following this thread at all, but can anyone tell me if there is a waitlist thread? or if this has already been discussed, how are LOCI's/Updated Resumes handled? email? snail mail?

Thanks

User avatar
LawGuy321
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:02 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LawGuy321 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 am

173 / 4.0 / great softs and...waitlisted.

In at Harvard, Held at Columbia, and WL'd at Chicago. Just more proof that these schools are subjective.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby boosk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 am

LawGuy321 wrote:173 / 4.0 / great softs and...waitlisted.

In at Harvard, Held at Columbia, and WL'd at Chicago. Just more proof that these schools are subjective.


lol what are these "great softs" I've seen you post about like 3 times now?

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 am

boosk wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:173 / 4.0 / great softs and...waitlisted.

In at Harvard, Held at Columbia, and WL'd at Chicago. Just more proof that these schools are subjective.


lol what are these "great softs" I've seen you post about like 3 times now?


+1 Just out of curiosity, not out of cruelty.

My guess is that the prestige of one's undergrad as well as what they studied and have accomplished in a working environment plays an influential role. Top schools genuinely want a diverse student body that will challenge one another and cultivate an environment conducive for growth... makes them look better as well.

I'm fairly certain my waitlists were a product of not writing an essay that said this is why I want to attend X school, rather I chose to write about what I would bring to a program... some schools are more akin to wanting to know why them. As for being rejected from Michigan, I applied deferred and was told that they must be absolutely positive that I would get in the following year and that wasn't the case, nonetheless they gave me an application fee waver for next cycle. In all honesty I won't be needing that, as I've been admitted to Chicago and it is my top place due to growing up not too far from there.

Your reward for bearing with my long post... good luck and I'm glad life isn't always as predictable as a numbers game. I'm confident most of the TLSers will make-due with where they go and be successful.

*Group Hug* :P

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm

This cycle has been weird for me as well. 4.0/170: WL'd at Harvard, In at Columbia and Chicago (attending, of course), big $ at UVA and UMich, sticker at Duke/Georgetown, absolute silence from UPenn...weirdness.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:My guess is that the prestige of one's undergrad as well as what they studied and have accomplished in a working environment plays an influential role. Top schools genuinely want a diverse student body that will challenge one another and cultivate an environment conducive for growth... makes them look better as well.


Not really

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Bronck wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:My guess is that the prestige of one's undergrad as well as what they studied and have accomplished in a working environment plays an influential role. Top schools genuinely want a diverse student body that will challenge one another and cultivate an environment conducive for growth... makes them look better as well.


Not really

Yeah. you're right. Admissions probably doesn't care about where you went and what you've done with your life professionally and academically. What was I thinking? They certainly don't take the indiviual into consideration when admitting students. Shoot, take a look at these admissions officers of top schools, none of them say anything about the importance of the individual and their academic/life experiences :roll:

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.top-law-schools.com/asha-ran ... rview.html

http://www.top-law-schools.com/ann-perry-interview.html

Edit: Then again, we are all entitled to our own opinions, now aren't we?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Because the adcomms have no incentive to create a facade of holism, right? Yale and Stanford, sure. But no need to drink the kool aid wrt other schools.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Bronck wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:My guess is that the prestige of one's undergrad as well as what they studied and have accomplished in a working environment plays an influential role. Top schools genuinely want a diverse student body that will challenge one another and cultivate an environment conducive for growth... makes them look better as well.


Not really

It plays some role. At this level of school there are more candidates with the numbers than slots. Work experience, your undergrad major/institution, and other softs must be a factor for differentiating applicants with roughly the same numbers profile. I think that's what Torts was getting at.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15515
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Poptorts take a look at the NYU graph on LSN. Numbers make up about 95% of the "holistic" equation there. Other selective schools might be more like 85%, but it's still pretty much only about TEH NUMBERS.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ferrisjso and 5 guests