Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm

dakure wrote:Lol. The difference between H and Chicago is actually a lot smaller in placement than most people think. Go look at the aliarrow thread from a couple years ago, the nlj 250 data, as well as clerkship and academia data. Chicago placed more graduates in biglaw than wanted it (leaked data) and also is astronomically good at getting clerkships and is great for getting people into academia. This notion that Harvard is worth considerably more than Chicago with a scholarship, in most cases, is ridiculous. If you ask people who have graduated and are in the field, most would say that they'd take a Butler at Columbia or the equivalent at Chicago over Harvard at sticker ten times out of ten.

stop reminding me how badly I want to go here

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 am

dakure wrote:Lol. The difference between H and Chicago is actually a lot smaller in placement than most people think. Go look at the aliarrow thread from a couple years ago, the nlj 250 data, as well as clerkship and academia data. Chicago placed more graduates in biglaw than wanted it (leaked data) and also is astronomically good at getting clerkships and is great for getting people into academia. This notion that Harvard is worth considerably more than Chicago with a scholarship, in most cases, is ridiculous. If you ask people who have graduated and are in the field, most would say that they'd take a Butler at Columbia or the equivalent at Chicago over Harvard at sticker ten times out of ten.

The egregious Chicago trolling that has gone on this cycle is second only to the egregious Michigan trolls... And that is spoken as someone who likes Chicago and would seriously consider the school if admitted.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:12 am

Nelson wrote:

The egregious Chicago trolling that has gone on this cycle is second only to the egregious Michigan trolls... And that is spoken as someone who likes Chicago and would seriously consider the school if admitted.

The whole world is a Harvard troll. We're just balancing it out a little

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Nelson wrote:

The whole world is a Harvard troll. We're just balancing it out a little

Now that I can agree with.

dakure

Postby dakure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 am

Nelson wrote:

I like Chicago but in no way is it "my top choice." I don't really have a top choice right now. I'm reading and interpreting the data. You're welcome to do the same.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:18 am

dakure wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I like Chicago but in no way is it "my top choice." I don't really have a top choice right now. I'm reading and interpreting the data. You're welcome to do the same.

dakure

Postby dakure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 am

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 am

dakure wrote:
Nelson wrote:

So your andcdotal suggestion of "interviewing people in the field" equals interpreting data? Are you guys TaipeiMort alts or what? Even Leitner disagrees with you. I guess I'm the maddest uncommitted 0L ever.

dakure

Postby dakure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 am

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 am

dakure wrote:Image

Wait is that your straw man or mine? Because I'm pretty sure the evidence is on my side that if you want to do anything other than firm work your chances are better at HYS than Chi.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:28 am

Nelson wrote:
dakure wrote:
Nelson wrote:

So your andcdotal suggestion of "interviewing people in the field" equals interpreting data? Are you guys TaipeiMort alts or what? Even Leitner disagrees with you. I guess I'm the maddest uncommitted 0L ever.

the bolded is not an anecdote

dakure

Postby dakure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:28 am

Nelson wrote:

Wait is that your straw man or mine? Because I'm pretty sure the evidence is on my side that if you want to do anything other than firm work your chances are better at HYS than Chi.

Find where I said that you'd be better off at Chicago rather than at HYS if you're not doing firm work. That'll answer your question.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 am

dakure wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Find where I said that you'd be better off at Chicago rather than at HYS if you're not doing firm work. That'll answer your question.

dakure wrote: This notion that Harvard is worth considerably more than Chicago with a scholarship, in most cases, is ridiculous. If you ask people who have graduated and are in the field, most would say that they'd take a Butler at Columbia or the equivalent at Chicago over Harvard at sticker ten times out of ten.

I guess it depends on how you define considerable but for anyone considering not working for a firm or not making market you should be looking at Harvard first because of tuition replacement.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:40 am

From our deputy dean (who is AWESOME, by the way):

Lior Strahilevitz @liorjs
Magic 8-ball: Will Friday the 13th be an auspicious day for lots of University of Chicago Law School applicants? #signspointtoyes

dakure

Postby dakure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:42 am

Nelson wrote:
dakure wrote: This notion that Harvard is worth considerably more than Chicago with a scholarship, in most cases, is ridiculous. If you ask people who have graduated and are in the field, most would say that they'd take a Butler at Columbia or the equivalent at Chicago over Harvard at sticker ten times out of ten.

I guess it depends on how you define considerable but for anyone considering not working for a firm or not making market you should be looking at Harvard first because of tuition replacement.

I don't know how your post is relevant to anything I said...

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:42 am

I was JUST going to post "What if tomorrow's not the day either?" How exciting! :D

dakure

Postby dakure » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 am

On a more terrifying note:

--LinkRemoved--

Magic 8-ball: Will Friday the 13th be an auspicious day for lots of University of Chicago Law School applicants? #signspointtoyes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:44 am

dakure wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I don't know how your post is relevant to anything I said...

"Agree to disagree"

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:44 am

soj wrote:I was JUST going to post "What if tomorrow's not the day either?" How exciting! :D

Now I'm going nuts.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:44 am

soj wrote:I was JUST going to post "What if tomorrow's not the day either?" How exciting! :D

hey Chicago: admit a ton of reverse splitters tomorrow so that you need to maintain your LSAT median later in the cycle plz

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 am

I heard some people were mad.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

hey Chicago: admit a ton of reverse splitters tomorrow so that you need to maintain your LSAT median later in the cycle plz

Dear Chicago: Do not do this.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Dear Chicago: Do not do this, especially for TLSP who would love to go to Chicago. Jam's LSAT score will more than make up for hers.

FTFM

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 am

If you're only concerned with securing a 160k big law job out of law school and have the least/no amount of loans, then I think Chicago with a Ruby would be an obvious choice for you. Going to Harvard is not going to make your first your associate salary any higher...

If you...want to be a founding father president, won't settle for ANY big law job and want to go to the MOST prestigious firms, see the positive benefits of the huge Harvard alumni network/Harvard's alumni benefits, would rather live on the east coast for law school, and genuinely believe that other people's perception of Harvard will contribute to your happiness, or a combination of any of those factors...then Harvard is for you. These might be very subjective advantages, difficult to measure in dollar terms, but most of the legal profession is based on subjective things like "prestige" anyway. Also--I imagine a Harvard degree would be MUCH, MUCH more advantageous if you plan to do anything on an international scale. As important as an Ivy League education is in the States, it is valued even more internationally. Yes, I concede that it'll take a little longer to pay off loans in this circumstance, but in this case, that would be an acceptable disadvantage to going to Harvard.

In any event, I hope we all have the problem of picking Harvard over Chicago with a Ruby. =)

I know no one read this, but whatevs 8)
Last edited by WhiteGuy5 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 am

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Fuck you, whore.
Last edited by Curious1 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”