Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 am

soj wrote:Aw shit, apps are coming out tomorrow? But I'm not ready to apply yet. Why did I waste another weekend. :x


Hell yeah! I'm fillin' that shit out the moment I wake up.

uchi15hopeful
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby uchi15hopeful » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 am

Ah, I see. It does put me above the median, where I am flirting with last year's 75th percentile.

Thanks.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dakure » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 am

uchi15hopeful wrote:Ah, I see. It does put me above the median, where I am flirting with last year's 75th percentile.

Thanks.

Its always good to flirt with 75th percentiles.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Chicago is tied for number one for me (I'm still vacillating between it and NYU). Very excited to apply; has TLS reached a consensus on a Why Chicago?

+1, minus the whole "tied" thing. It's a one horse race for me. What is everyone's opinion on the score I'd need WRT RD vs. ED with a 3.53 gpa?


Unfortunately, it looks like no shot at Chicago with RD: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =1&type=jd

And there aren't many data points for ED, so I'm not really sure: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =3&type=jd


Give it to me straight Hawkeye. I didn't want to apply ED but you might be scaring me into it.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:44 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Chicago is tied for number one for me (I'm still vacillating between it and NYU). Very excited to apply; has TLS reached a consensus on a Why Chicago?

+1, minus the whole "tied" thing. It's a one horse race for me. What is everyone's opinion on the score I'd need WRT RD vs. ED with a 3.53 gpa?


Unfortunately, it looks like no shot at Chicago with RD: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =1&type=jd

And there aren't many data points for ED, so I'm not really sure: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =3&type=jd


Give it to me straight Hawkeye. I didn't want to apply ED but you might be scaring me into it.


Honestly, I thought the odds would be better. But looking at these numbers, if you REALLY want Chicago and are willing to pay sticker (over $$ at other T14 schools), I think I would apply ED.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Give it to me straight Hawkeye. I didn't want to apply ED but you might be scaring me into it.


Honestly, I thought the odds would be better. But looking at these numbers, if you REALLY want Chicago and are willing to pay sticker (over $$ at other T14 schools), I think I would apply ED.


Crud. Problem is I don't know if I could get $$ from the other schools based on past trends and my GPA. I really don't want to go lower than Northwestern.

Oh well, I will be in Chicago this week. Maybe I can get a better idea after that trip.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby soj » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 am

Tiago, your chances at CLS RD or NYU RD are quite good so I wouldn't ED Chicago unless you like Chicago much more than CLS or NYU.

Not to mention $ below.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 am

Looks like I better plan a trip to New York for this fall. Why can't there just be a super good school in San Diego to make this easy?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:17 am

Image

"Primary application" is unclickable :x

I hope we don't have to wait until Sep 1 for a) all other applications and b) the ability to fill out the Chicago one:

Image

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Looks like I better plan a trip to New York for this fall. Why can't there just be a super good school in San Diego to make this easy?

Stanford is the only good school in CA. There, I said it.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 am

Good luck, guys! (Once you can actually submit the application and all)

bball1997
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bball1997 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Image

"Primary application" is unclickable :x

I hope we don't have to wait until Sep 1 for a) all other applications and b) the ability to fill out the Chicago one:

Image


So what's the deal here? Do we fill out the common information form and it automatically fills in the primary when it becomes available? Are we supposed to submit the primary in the end?

bball1997
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bball1997 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:28 am

On a separate topic, the consensus is against writing a "why Chicago" essay, correct?

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:31 am

bball1997 wrote:So what's the deal here? Do we fill out the common information form and it automatically fills in the primary when it becomes available? Are we supposed to submit the primary in the end?


Some people didn't ever bother with the common information form, but I did. Just BE SURE to read through the application after it autofills it. Some applications would switch the mom/dad information and whatnot, which was annoying. But in general you should have a family member/friend read over your application before you submit it to avoid any errors :)

bball1997 wrote:On a separate topic, the consensus is against writing a "why Chicago" essay, correct?


Yeah, save it for LOCIs if you need em

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:35 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:+1, minus the whole "tied" thing. It's a one horse race for me. What is everyone's opinion on the score I'd need WRT RD vs. ED with a 3.53 gpa?


Unfortunately, it looks like no shot at Chicago with RD: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =1&type=jd

And there aren't many data points for ED, so I'm not really sure: http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... =3&type=jd


Give it to me straight Hawkeye. I didn't want to apply ED but you might be scaring me into it.


Honestly, I thought the odds would be better. But looking at these numbers, if you REALLY want Chicago and are willing to pay sticker (over $$ at other T14 schools), I think I would apply ED.

Just want to point out that 2010-11 is the only cycle on LSN reporting no acceptances for the 3.5 area. Every past cycle shows about 20-25% acceptance rate for the 3.5 area. What makes you think last cycle is more indicative of this cycle than all the previous ones, especially considering apps are expected to decrease?

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 am

Samara wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Honestly, I thought the odds would be better. But looking at these numbers, if you REALLY want Chicago and are willing to pay sticker (over $$ at other T14 schools), I think I would apply ED.

Just want to point out that 2010-11 is the only cycle on LSN reporting no acceptances for the 3.5 area. Every past cycle shows about 20-25% acceptance rate for the 3.5 area. What makes you think last cycle is more indicative of this cycle than all the previous ones, especially considering apps are expected to decrease?


I haven't been paying attention to most of this convo, but something you all should keep in mind is that because of the introduction of the full-tuition Rubenstein scholarships, this has freed up $$ for other applicants and so it's probably shaken up their process a bit. Obviously I wouldn't discount other cycles completely, but I'd put a little more weight on this past one as it's the first one to have the Ruby scholarships in play. But who knows what the decreased apps will do to all of that!

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 am

Xifeng wrote:
Samara wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Honestly, I thought the odds would be better. But looking at these numbers, if you REALLY want Chicago and are willing to pay sticker (over $$ at other T14 schools), I think I would apply ED.

Just want to point out that 2010-11 is the only cycle on LSN reporting no acceptances for the 3.5 area. Every past cycle shows about 20-25% acceptance rate for the 3.5 area. What makes you think last cycle is more indicative of this cycle than all the previous ones, especially considering apps are expected to decrease?


I haven't been paying attention to most of this convo, but something you all should keep in mind is that because of the introduction of the full-tuition Rubenstein scholarships, this has freed up $$ for other applicants and so it's probably shaken up their process a bit. Obviously I wouldn't discount other cycles completely, but I'd put a little more weight on this past one as it's the first one to have the Ruby scholarships in play. But who knows what the decreased apps will do to all of that!

Good to know, thanks! It's interesting that everyone in that group last cycle was waitlisted, no acceptances, but no rejections either. That would seem to be consistent with uncertainty from changes to the cycle.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

Yeah I think they waitlisted the CRAP out of people this year because they didn't know how people would respond to scholarships, so it might be different this year! They also used the WL a lot this summer, which is different than a couple years ago, so who knows. Admissions is craziness

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:48 am

Samara wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
I haven't been paying attention to most of this convo, but something you all should keep in mind is that because of the introduction of the full-tuition Rubenstein scholarships, this has freed up $$ for other applicants and so it's probably shaken up their process a bit. Obviously I wouldn't discount other cycles completely, but I'd put a little more weight on this past one as it's the first one to have the Ruby scholarships in play. But who knows what the decreased apps will do to all of that!

Good to know, thanks! It's interesting that everyone in that group last cycle was waitlisted, no acceptances, but no rejections either. That would seem to be consistent with uncertainty from changes to the cycle.

This is all news to me. Incomp seemed to think that about a 174 would make RD a pretty solid shot with a 3.5x

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Is there a reason for the earlier application date this year? I noticed on the thread from last year, that it appeared you couldn't submit until Oct 1 and the first RD went out Jan 10thish. Is the earlier application date supposed to ensure an earlier notification? Jan would be tough for me. I'd ideally like to make a decision in Dec for my son's lottery chances at the schools I am looking at for him. I know its overly optimistic, but it'd be awful to have to make a decision without hearing back from a top choice.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:43 pm

MumofCad wrote:Is there a reason for the earlier application date this year? I noticed on the thread from last year, that it appeared you couldn't submit until Oct 1 and the first RD went out Jan 10thish. Is the earlier application date supposed to ensure an earlier notification? Jan would be tough for me. I'd ideally like to make a decision in Dec for my son's lottery chances at the schools I am looking at for him. I know its overly optimistic, but it'd be awful to have to make a decision without hearing back from a top choice.

Private Elem?

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Private Elem?


Public. They have lotteries now for all the good public schools in every city. Of course, it just happens that my son is starting kindergarten the same year I am starting law school. We're trying to get into a school in the same city lol ;)

User avatar
j12
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby j12 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm

MumofCad wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Private Elem?


Public. They have lotteries now for all the good public schools in every city. Of course, it just happens that my son is starting kindergarten the same year I am starting law school. We're trying to get into a school in the same city lol ;)

If he doesn't get in to a T6 kindergarten he shouldn't bother going unless the economy picks up.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dakure » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 pm

j12 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Private Elem?


Public. They have lotteries now for all the good public schools in every city. Of course, it just happens that my son is starting kindergarten the same year I am starting law school. We're trying to get into a school in the same city lol ;)

If he doesn't get in to a T6 kindergarten he shouldn't bother going unless the economy picks up.

Now now. I'd say the T5. Number six makes them do a bunch of volunteer work that may not be beneficial to his future.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey, don't sell my kid short, T-5 all the way ;)

Seriously though, he speaks Chinese and I would like to continue him in an immersion program. For some reason, they hold the lotteries for the programs in most cities in January. I have to prove potential residency by then (ie. signed lease) to enter him. I guess they take the wait-list pretty seriously for kindergartens these days. Who knew. No transfer option after 1K either.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”