Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Gold

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Samara » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Xifeng wrote:
tmon wrote:If I were to start an ED application and end up deciding to go RD (pending October LSAT) I can switch right? Seems like that would make sense, but just want to make sure.
I actually don't know. I think last year you couldn't. I'd email LSAC and check before you start anything
Yeah, it looks like you can't. :/ When you click apply a window pops up and says "Once you save this application for processing, you will no longer be able to select any other application for the same term and academic year for this school." This seems like a silly rule. Does anyone know if you can change an RD application to an ED?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:35 pm

sea15 wrote:Thanks. I'm kind of applying to a lot of schools, so I think it would be ridiculous to list them all. Would 4 or 5 be appropriate and not lying?
What's the exact language of the question? I remember either WUSTL or UIUC asking this question last year and I just listed a few peer schools, not an exhaustive list, and I think that's what everyone did.
Xifeng wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
sea15 wrote:Quick question. Started filling out the application basics. What about the question what other law schools are you applying to? What's the correct answer?
I'm looking at the app from last year and don't see this question, so I'm not sure what I put (which would of course be the credited response). Sorry :/
I looked at HP's and this year's is COMPLETELY different (we didn't have that question). I think people on TLS think that when lower-tiered schools ask this question, they're trying to figure out how seriously you're taking that school, but Chicago is pretty high up there so no clue why they want to know.
Sounds like they're making the process much more RIGOROUS. I approve.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Samara wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
tmon wrote:If I were to start an ED application and end up deciding to go RD (pending October LSAT) I can switch right? Seems like that would make sense, but just want to make sure.
I actually don't know. I think last year you couldn't. I'd email LSAC and check before you start anything
Yeah, it looks like you can't. :/ When you click apply a window pops up and says "Once you save this application for processing, you will no longer be able to select any other application for the same term and academic year for this school." This seems like a silly rule. Does anyone know if you can change an RD application to an ED?
I believe you can't change RD to ED or ED to RD. You have to pick one and go for it.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Bils, the question states:

"Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them."

sea15

Bronze

Post by sea15 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
sea15 wrote:Thanks. I'm kind of applying to a lot of schools, so I think it would be ridiculous to list them all. Would 4 or 5 be appropriate and not lying?
I'm sure that would be fine. To be honest, you could probably just list the peer schools.

that's what I was thinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Samara wrote:Does anyone know if you can change an RD application to an ED?
You mean after submitting the application? Used to be some schools would allow this, but a post by Dean Zearfross of Michigan indicates that new model admissions practices rules require the ED or RD decision to be made at the time you submit your app. Ad it was predominantly heinous TTTs (GULC and UVA) that allowed that late ED switch anyway.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Samara wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
I believe you can't change RD to ED or ED to RD. You have to pick one and go for it.
Hmmmmm...okay...maybe I should just wait. I feel confident that I've considered every aspect to come to the conclusion that I should ED to Chicago, but I can't shake a nagging feeling that it might be a bad idea. I'd feel so much better about it with a real LSAT of course, but I don't want to wait that long to do the application. ARRRGH

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
You mean after submitting the application? Used to be some schools would allow this, but a post by Dean Zearfross of Michigan indicates that new model admissions practices rules require the ED or RD decision to be made at the time you submit your app.
Or even after selecting one of the applications to fill out. I want to get my apps ready before I start school, but I won't have an LSAT until October so I'm reluctant to make the ED commitment.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Samara wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
You mean after submitting the application? Used to be some schools would allow this, but a post by Dean Zearfross of Michigan indicates that new model admissions practices rules require the ED or RD decision to be made at the time you submit your app.
Or even after selecting one of the applications to fill out. I want to get my apps ready before I start school, but I won't have an LSAT until October so I'm reluctant to make the ED commitment.
Yeah don't think you can do that. Definitely email LSAC before you try.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uchi15hopeful

New

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm

To Chicago hopefuls...

Full ride to NU or Sticker for Chicago?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:46 pm

uchi15hopeful wrote:To Chicago hopefuls...

I doubt you'd ever run into that situation. If you can get a full ride at NU, you're probably looking at some money at Chicago.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Full ride at NU over half tuition at Chi.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
sea15 wrote:Quick question. Started filling out the application basics. What about the question what other law schools are you applying to? What's the correct answer?
I went ahead and listed the other schools I'm applying to.
LOL. Seems so easy. Anybody think I should list schools I applied to last year but won't be applying to this year? I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acadec

Bronze

Post by acadec » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:51 pm

95% done! So that means writing my personal statement will be about one-nineteenth as much effort as filling out those forms, right?

Right?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
You mean after submitting the application? Used to be some schools would allow this, but a post by Dean Zearfross of Michigan indicates that new model admissions practices rules require the ED or RD decision to be made at the time you submit your app. Ad it was predominantly heinous TTTs (GULC and UVA) that allowed that late ED switch anyway.
Well looks like RD it is for me then. Already got the process underway.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 pm

acadec wrote:95% done! So that means writing my personal statement will be about one-nineteenth as much effort as filling out those forms, right?

Right?
Haha I was thinking the same thing.

uchi15hopeful

New

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

I doubt you'd ever run into that situation. If you can get a full ride at NU, you're probably looking at some money at Chicago.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess I am just still a bit wary of EDing at Chicago. While I really want to, I'm just trying to play out all of the scenarios in my mind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:54 pm

acadec wrote:95% done! So that means writing my personal statement will be about one-nineteenth as much effort as filling out those forms, right?

Right?
That's the way it was for me. A PS is easy, getting started on it is the hard part.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Right?
That's the way it was for me. A PS is easy, getting started on it is the hard part.
My PS is done from last year but my LORs have not yet arrived. I am very excite!

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey guys, I'm working through the application right now. I'm unfortunately stuck at the Education section. Under the "academic awards" paragraph, after I typed in my awards and such, it keeps saying I have an error of some sort. Has anyone experienced this issue? Are there any formatting issues perhaps that I may be having? I just basically typed in my awards and numbered them. Thanks.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:17 pm

madvillain wrote:Hey guys, I'm working through the application right now. I'm unfortunately stuck at the Education section. Under the "academic awards" paragraph, after I typed in my awards and such, it keeps saying I have an error of some sort. Has anyone experienced this issue? Are there any formatting issues perhaps that I may be having? I just basically typed in my awards and numbered them. Thanks.
I got through it. I would guess that numbering might be the problem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Hm, you're right, I think they just don't like numbers. Also, I noticed that some of the fields in this app don't seem to be required, since there isn't an asterisk next to them, for example. Does this mean we don't have to fill them out? For instance I had a pretty terrible GPA at my first college, and I figure they'll see it on the transcript anyway. Or the rank, for example.

uchi15hopeful

New

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Does anyone know if scholarships are only renewable if a gpa/rank requirement is met? Is anything required to keep a scholarship, once it's been given?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 pm

uchi15hopeful wrote:Does anyone know if scholarships are only renewable if a gpa/rank requirement is met? Is anything required to keep a scholarship, once it's been given?
No. Top 14 schools don't have scholarship stipulations. Even if they did, it would be something like 'good academic standing', so not failing out.

uchi15hopeful

New

Post by uchi15hopeful » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Oh, that makes sense. I wasn't aware that the t14 operated like that.

By the way, you're really helpful and knowledgable; cheers to you!

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”