Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote: And if we want to use NLJ250 as a demarcation for law firms, then we should only include people in the categories of 101+ people (granted, this may be cutting out some prestigious lit boutiques), which means ~60% got it.
looool.
So, come up with a better way to demarcate biglaw from not-biglaw using those statistics. Or is this Chicago trolling hour?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote: And if we want to use NLJ250 as a demarcation for law firms, then we should only include people in the categories of 101+ people (granted, this may be cutting out some prestigious lit boutiques), which means ~60% got it.
looool.
So, come up with a better way to demarcate biglaw from not-biglaw using those statistics. Or is this Chicago trolling hour?
If you want to use NLJ250 numbers as the point of demarcation, why not go right to the source? Keeping in mind that NLJ250 doesn't cover a lot of highly sought-after firm jobs, Chicago still outplaced Columbia and NYU (the former by a small margin, the latter by a lot). You're comparing Chicago's relatively comprehensive jobs data to rumors from NYU and Columbia, mostly rumors circulated by students at those schools who go there and have an interest in making it seem as good as possible, instead of looking at objective indicators. I'm not saying Chicago is way better than Columbia and NYU. They're peer schools, and all available data indicate that Chicago easily performs as well as NYU and Columbia.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
looool.
If you want to use NLJ250 numbers as the point of demarcation, why not go right to the source? Keeping in mind that NLJ250 doesn't cover a lot of highly sought-after firm jobs, Chicago still outplaced Columbia and NYU (the former by a small margin, the latter by a lot). You're comparing Chicago's relatively comprehensive jobs data to rumors from NYU and Columbia, mostly rumors circulated by students at those schools who go there and have an interest in making it seem as good as possible, instead of looking at objective indicators. I'm not saying Chicago is way better than Columbia and NYU. They're peer schools, and all available data indicate that Chicago easily performs as well as NYU and Columbia, if not better.
Of course my analysis was imperfect, but the entire point of the post was to show that people were misreading the data, and that yes, Chicago performs as well as NYU and CLS. I'm not going to say better, because their strengths are in different fields. I mean, let's be honest... using old c/o 2010 data isn't exactly the most fruitful when we're looking at current placement. It's much better to look at the leaked OCI data (not exactly 'rumors') of the most recent classes.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:It's much better to look at the leaked OCI data (not exactly 'rumors') of the most recent classes.
I haven't seen this leaked data. How comprehensive was it? All that I've seen regarding this year's and last year's OCI placement at Columbia and NYU is educated guesses by current students as to how they felt, how their classmates felt, what the people they talked to said, etc. If you have the data I'd love to see it.

And if you're comparing OCI from this year or last year to Chicago's c/o 2010 employment information, then you're performing a worthless analysis given 1. the differences in the legal job market between the two time periods at issue, and 2. the differences what the data includes (hint: number of SAs and number of full-time offers resulting from SAs are two very different numbers).
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:It's much better to look at the leaked OCI data (not exactly 'rumors') of the most recent classes.
I haven't seen this leaked data. How comprehensive was it? All that I've seen regarding this year's and last year's OCI placement at Columbia and NYU is educated guesses by current students as to how they felt, how their classmates felt, what the people they talked to said, etc. If you have the data I'd love to see it.
If you use the search bar, you can find the threads that have the broken down data.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
If you use the search bar, you can find the threads that have the broken down data.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Lol, okay. I'm not doing your research for you.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Lol, okay. I'm not doing your research for you.
Scumbag 0L: makes claims based on data, doesn't actually provide data to back up his claims.

Too lazy to actually meme it, but you get the idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Scumbag 0L: makes claims based on data, doesn't actually provide data to back up his claims.

Lol at calling me a 'scumbag'.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Are you new to the internet? Scumbag Steve is a meme, and it's been adapted to a a lot of "Scumbag _____" versions.

Did I hurt your fee fees? Sorry, I'll stop responding to you so the thread for people to talk about UChicago doesn't get derailed by your very obvious desire not to end up at UChicago.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Hawkeye the thread is turning on you. Quick! Save face by telling everyone how you feel about the troops.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Are you new to the internet? Scumbag Steve is a meme, and it's been adapted to a a lot of "Scumbag _____" versions.

Did I hurt your fee fees? Sorry, I'll stop responding to you so the thread for people to talk about UChicago doesn't get derailed by your very obvious desire not to end up at UChicago.
Lol, no. It's funny that you think you're epistemically privileged just by virtue of being a 1L. How sad and egregious Chicago trolling is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

wow. please do.
Last edited by cubbiesyear on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:52 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Hawkeye the thread is turning on you. Quick! Save face by telling everyone how you feel about the troops.
I lol'd.

...if anyone has any non-employment-related questions for 1Ls, I can answer them. Or PI-related questions.

I will start the happy question trend:

Q: How awesome is it to be done with your first set of 1L exams by December 13?

A: Really awesome. It's even more fun if you have friends who go to other law schools who haven't even started exams yet!

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 pm

What's the typical academic year temperature range?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:11 pm

icedflames wrote:What's the typical academic year temperature range?
I'm not entirely sure since I haven't been here a full academic year, but so far it hasn't been too bad. Snowed a couple times, has been in the 20s in the mornings a few times (but then warms up so I look stupid in my puffy coat).

When I visited in April for ASW the weather was pretty shitty (low 40s and gray). So I assume it gets really gross in the intervening time. But hopefully we won't have a snowpocalypse this year :)

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Xifeng wrote:
I'm not entirely sure since I haven't been here a full academic year, but so far it hasn't been too bad. Snowed a couple times, has been in the 20s in the mornings a few times (but then warms up so I look stupid in my puffy coat).

When I visited in April for ASW the weather was pretty shitty (low 40s and gray). So I assume it gets really gross in the intervening time. But hopefully we won't have a snowpocalypse this year :)
Hows the 1L summer search looking? Good amount of decent options?

probably way too early to tell i guess

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Xifeng wrote:
...if anyone has any non-employment-related questions for 1Ls, I can answer them. Or PI-related questions.

A: Really awesome. It's even more fun if you have friends who go to other law schools who haven't even started exams yet!
You're a terrible terrible person, you know that?

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:19 pm

cubbiesyear wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

Hows the 1L summer search looking? Good amount of decent options?

probably way too early to tell i guess
I have heard that some people have gotten offers. Some of us are lazy and still need to send out a lot more stuff :oops: But OCS says we'll all get something, and there are a lot of cool options out there.

& dakure, I am awesome. HTH.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LaRon James

New

Post by LaRon James » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Updated today 3.4 173. So probably everybody

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm

LaRon James wrote:Updated today 3.4 173. So probably everybody
Updated as well, so I'd assume so.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Xifeng wrote:...if anyone has any non-employment-related questions for 1Ls, I can answer them. Or PI-related questions.

The quarter system rules!

Speaking of PI, I have a two-parter for you. I think I want to do biglaw (from my limited 0L perspective), but I feel bad about not doing PI. 1) Should I feel bad about that? 2) Is it possible to do some sort of mix, i.e. PI :arrow: biglaw or biglaw :arrow: PI :arrow: in-house, or does biglaw pro bono work offer a real opportunity to do some PI work?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Samara wrote:
Xifeng wrote:...if anyone has any non-employment-related questions for 1Ls, I can answer them. Or PI-related questions.

The quarter system rules!

Speaking of PI, I have a two-parter for you. I think I want to do biglaw (from my limited 0L perspective), but I feel bad about not doing PI. 1) Should I feel bad about that? 2) Is it possible to do some sort of mix, i.e. PI :arrow: biglaw or biglaw :arrow: PI :arrow: in-house, or does biglaw pro bono work offer a real opportunity to do some PI work?
I'll let Xi answer this more fully as the PI expert of Chicago, but you will soon learn about the unfortunate cliquishness of legal PI. My understanding is that they tend to be very suspicious of people who come from big law and want to go full PI.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”