Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 am

catholicgirl wrote:Got in. Seriously cried because in a weird way I was totally devastated. Had I gotten in at the beginning of my cycle when I originally applied, I would have gone without reservation. But now I've made a bunch of ties in Virginia...

So obviously, if I get aid from Chicago I will go. Though I don't know how likely that is given the fact I'm a waitlister. But what would you guys do in my position? I want to end up working in the Midwest. If both Chicago and UVA at sticker which would you pick?
Well for starters, I wouldn't assume you'll be getting nothing money wise. They've been very generous with the $$ and some people admitted very late and off the WL have gotten some. So that might solve your problem easily.

If not, I don't think any amount of connections you could build up in a few months will make VA>Chi in the midwest. Unless you're having an affair with a Senator from a midwest state- or someone else explicitly promised you a sweet job after graduation but only if you went to Virginia- well I just can't imagine a likely scenario that works here.

I'm assuming "ties" at UVA simply means you've found a roommate/friends and all that nonsense, in which case I say it's plenty early to switch to Chicago.

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:31 am

catholicgirl wrote:Got in. Seriously cried because in a weird way I was totally devastated. Had I gotten in at the beginning of my cycle when I originally applied, I would have gone without reservation. But now I've made a bunch of ties in Virginia...

So obviously, if I get aid from Chicago I will go. Though I don't know how likely that is given the fact I'm a waitlister. But what would you guys do in my position? I want to end up working in the Midwest. If both Chicago and UVA at sticker which would you pick?
I signed a lease in Charlottesville, told my family, friends, and coworkers I was going to UVA, networked with some UVA alumni that I was introduced to, etc. I forgot about all that stuff real quick when Chicago let me in off the waitlist.

It sounds like Chicago was your first choice. If you are really facing sticker at UVA, this is an easy decision. As others have said, you'll make plenty of ties at Chicago.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:

Well for starters, I wouldn't assume you'll be getting nothing money wise. They've been very generous with the $$ and some people admitted very late and off the WL have gotten some. So that might solve your problem easily.

If not, I don't think any amount of connections you could build up in a few months will make VA>Chi in the midwest. Unless you're having an affair with a Senator from a midwest state- or someone else explicitly promised you a sweet job after graduation but only if you went to Virginia- well I just can't imagine a likely scenario that works here.

I'm assuming "ties" at UVA simply means you've found a roommate/friends and all that nonsense, in which case I say it's plenty early to switch to Chicago.
This made me lol. And I really needed to laugh :-p

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm

ringo wrote:

I signed a lease in Charlottesville, told my family, friends, and coworkers I was going to UVA, networked with some UVA alumni that I was introduced to, etc. I forgot about all that stuff real quick when Chicago let me in off the waitlist.

It sounds like Chicago was your first choice. If you are really facing sticker at UVA, this is an easy decision. As others have said, you'll make plenty of ties at Chicago.
So rough guesstimate because I'm too frazzled to search TLS. What are we talking about money wise here if I have to pay sticker at Chi?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
ringo wrote:

So rough guesstimate because I'm too frazzled to search TLS. What are we talking about money wise here if I have to pay sticker at Chi?
Whatever the CoL difference is between Chicago and Charlottesville will be more than made up by your improved job prospects from UChi. Given that you want to end up the midwest, this is such a no-brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 pm

cerealdan wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
ringo wrote:

Whatever the CoL difference is between Chicago and Charlottesville will be more than made up by your improved job prospects from UChi. Given that you want to end up the midwest, this is such a no-brainer.

Yeah. Starting to realize that. I think I just panicked because I had everything set. Fingers crossed for a small grant to push me over the edge.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:56 pm

My personal experience was to choose Chicago at near-sticker, even though UVA gave me 75k. Maybe that'll help you feel better about your decision :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”