Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jeninamillion

New

Re: Chicago c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by jeninamillion » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:21 am

Second UR 1/27. I haven't been following the board closely, but does the second UR mean anything? Like does everyone's UR date change?

lawschoolquestions57

New

Post by lawschoolquestions57 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:49 pm

Please read through the other posts.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:14 pm

luxxe wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:hoping to get accepted in time for ASW

alternatively, I'll probably crash it and bug Dean Perry until she lets me in/kills me
I'm willing to join. And im not above a lot of sobbing and shameless flattery.

Also, has your status checker updated since you sent in an LOCI (if you did)? Mine hasn't and I've sent an updated transcript/LOCI 2-ish weeks ago.
nope

MikeTheWilliams

New

Post by MikeTheWilliams » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:17 am

Just went UR for the 2nd time. Sorry I'm too lazy to read back in the thread. What do people think this signifies? I first went UR 1/18.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 am

I just trolled last years applicant thread and I think 3 UR dates is good good indicator of accept waitlist. I think the last date around february split the accept/WL group by like two days, with the accept group having their status checker update two days before the waitlisters. I could be wrong about lots of this however so I would love to have some other TLS user confirm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ricsllscir

Bronze

Post by ricsllscir » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:54 am

Finally went UR on 1/28....missing the midwest so much right now! come ooooon chicago!

xwing_redleader

Bronze

Post by xwing_redleader » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Second UR today, anyone else?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 am

Got my package in the mail today! I was really disappointed to see that we have to make our deposit by April 15th - that is BEFORE Yale and Stanford even have their ASW, but even worse it says that scholarships are likely to require an even earlier deposit? Its a little frustrating that they are the very last ones to notify of acceptances and then want to be the first ones to require a decision, even before you will have a chance to visit all the schools and make a decision, OR on the other hand that some schools have their ASWs so late because they don't notify their admits until late in the game. I know HYS are May 1st, but now I'm wondering if I should check the rest. Maybe this is normal, but then I don't get why some ASWs are after that date. It seems the T-14 could come up with a system that allows students to make visits AND then decide on where to go.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:50 pm

MumofCad wrote:Got my package in the mail today! I was really disappointed to see that we have to make our deposit by April 15th - that is BEFORE Yale and Stanford even have their ASW, but even worse it says that scholarships are likely to require an even earlier deposit? Its a little frustrating that they are the very last ones to notify of acceptances and then want to be the first ones to require a decision, even before you will have a chance to visit all the schools and make a decision, OR on the other hand that some schools have their ASWs so late because they don't notify their admits until late in the game. I know HYS are May 1st, but now I'm wondering if I should check the rest. Maybe this is normal, but then I don't get why some ASWs are after that date. It seems the T-14 could come up with a system that allows students to make visits AND then decide on where to go.
I agree about the timing failures across the board, but I think it's only the Rubenstein that requires an earlier decision. That being said, you're as likely as anybody to end up with that so I can see how it will be an inconvenience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:00 pm

MumofCad wrote:that is BEFORE Yale and Stanford even have their ASW
First world problems.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
First world problems.
Haha yeah, if there isn't an In at Chicago thread there probably should be one so this sort of thing isn't horrible for people still waiting to have to read.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm

MumofCad wrote:Got my package in the mail today! I was really disappointed to see that we have to make our deposit by April 15th - that is BEFORE Yale and Stanford even have their ASW, but even worse it says that scholarships are likely to require an even earlier deposit? Its a little frustrating that they are the very last ones to notify of acceptances and then want to be the first ones to require a decision, even before you will have a chance to visit all the schools and make a decision, OR on the other hand that some schools have their ASWs so late because they don't notify their admits until late in the game. I know HYS are May 1st, but now I'm wondering if I should check the rest. Maybe this is normal, but then I don't get why some ASWs are after that date. It seems the T-14 could come up with a system that allows students to make visits AND then decide on where to go.
Cliff Notes: MoC Edition wrote:
In at Chicago, but I have to deposit before YLS and SLS ASWs. I wish law schools allowed us to visit all ASWs we wanted to visit before making a seat deposit.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I noticed somewhere (I can't remember where but if I do, I'll edit) in the Chicago materials that they check in June to see if you have multiple deposits at that point, and if you do, they question you about it. I take this to mean they don't force you to withdraw your other apps when you send in your seat deposit, so the worst case scenario here is that you lose $500. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

ETA: Not that I think that $500 is inconsequential- it is very annoying that the deposit date is so early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

thatkid wrote:

I noticed somewhere (I can't remember where but if I do, I'll edit) in the Chicago materials that they check in June to see if you have multiple deposits at that point, and if you do, they question you about it. I take this to mean they don't force you to withdraw your other apps when you send in your seat deposit, so the worst case scenario here is that you lose $500. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
This is the case with most (all?) first seat deposits. Some schools even give you a partial refund if you put down your seat deposit and then withdraw before a certain date. That is to say, deposits aren't binding in the way that ED contracts are.

And honestly if you have that much trouble deciding between your full tuition scholly at CCN vs. HYS, just visit the schools before ASW.

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:48 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Cliff Notes: MoC Edition wrote:
In at Chicago, but I have to deposit before YLS and SLS ASWs. I wish law schools allowed us to visit all ASWs we wanted to visit before making a seat deposit.
I love you.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:03 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 am

BEFORE Yale and Stanford ASW?!?!? HOW CAN THEY BE SO CRUEL??!!?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 pm

snehpets wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
First world problems.
Haha yeah, if there isn't an In at Chicago thread there probably should be one so this sort of thing isn't horrible for people still waiting to have to read.
Sorry, I searched for one. I expect though that these things will lead to some withdrawals and I still believe that anyone on a WL this year should be very optimistic about how this cycle will play out across the board.

I wasn't bashing any particular school or looking to whine. I was just noting that this is another example of how haphazard this whole process seems to be. I think the schools could work out some sort of system whereby they didn't overlap on ASWs, had a set date for deposits across the board, etc. It really doesn't matter if it Chicago-HYS or Cornell-Texas, etc, etc. It would be nice to have some coordination of deposit dates and ASWs between the peer schools. Either all deposit dates should be after "X" and all ASWs should thus be before "X" or vice versus. Some people getting pulled off WL would still be screwed out of some money in the summer (but it would be their choice), but this whole process could run much more smoothly and doing so would ultimately be better for ALL the applicants and the schools, not just ones that are in at certain schools but also for those waiting to have a singular date as well where they can expect another round of pulls from WL or what not so they could make their decisions fairly.

I know a good number of people who were forced to make deposits last year and then got pulled a week later from the WL at another school, most who didn't really have the money to lose but also clearly didn't have a choice. I didn't get why this seemed so common until now going through the process myself. I hate to see so much needless anxiety regarding all these different dates and the impact that they have all down the line on pushing everyone's decisions later or leaving people up in the air. It seems that if they get our apps in Sept, they could try to push up all admit decisions at all the schools (reducing anxiety), then stick with a decision by Apr 15th at all the schools but moving up the ASWs to late-Feb-late Mar. In the end, people will suck up the $500 loss or whatever, but really when you're getting ready to take on over 100k in debt, I think they could cut us all a break on this.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:36 pm

MumofCad wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
First world problems.
Sorry, I searched for one. I expect though that these things will lead to some withdrawals and I still believe that anyone on a WL this year should be very optimistic about how this cycle will play out across the board.

I wasn't bashing any particular school or looking to whine. I was just noting that this is another example of how haphazard this whole process seems to be. I think the schools could work out some sort of system whereby they didn't overlap on ASWs, had a set date for deposits across the board, etc. It really doesn't matter if it Chicago-HYS or Cornell-Texas, etc, etc. It would be nice to have some coordination of deposit dates and ASWs between the peer schools. Either all deposit dates should be after "X" and all ASWs should thus be before "X" or vice versus. Some people getting pulled off WL would still be screwed out of some money in the summer (but it would be their choice), but this whole process could run much more smoothly and doing so would ultimately be better for ALL the applicants and the schools, not just ones that are in at certain schools but also for those waiting to have a singular date as well where they can expect another round of pulls from WL or what not so they could make their decisions fairly.

I know a good number of people who were forced to make deposits last year and then got pulled a week later from the WL at another school, most who didn't really have the money to lose but also clearly didn't have a choice. I didn't get why this seemed so common until now going through the process myself. I hate to see so much needless anxiety regarding all these different dates and the impact that they have all down the line on pushing everyone's decisions later or leaving people up in the air. It seems that if they get our apps in Sept, they could try to push up all admit decisions at all the schools (reducing anxiety), then stick with a decision by Apr 15th at all the schools but moving up the ASWs to late-Feb-late Mar. In the end, people will suck up the $500 loss or whatever, but really when you're getting ready to take on over 100k in debt, I think they could cut us all a break on this.
yeah, mid April is a huge time for waitlist mvmt because of the deposit deadlines.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 pm

JamMasterJ wrote: yeah, mid April is a huge time for waitlist mvmt because of the deposit deadlines.
Yeah, and fwiw, I know that holding a spot at a school sucks for those waiting who know its their top choice. I'm trying to be really sensitive to that and make a decision as early as I can. These confusing, jumbled dates don't make it easy to do the right thing by each other. Ideally if you knew that all deposits were due by a certain date and had a chance to visit and meet your peers through ASWs 2 weeks prior to said date, you could manage to not be a jackass (hopefully though there would always be outliers), make a fully-informed decision, withdraw from all schools two weeks prior to doomsday and the mass WL offers could go out PRIOR to date "X" when all deposits were due, thus not costing a huge number of applicants to forfeit deposits. The way they have it set up now, there is a trickle down screwed effect. I know plenty will be happy to have the spot, $500 poorer or not, but it really seems unnecessary to not just coordinate.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Who wants to look at my LOCI to Chicaaaaago?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Who wants to look at my LOCI to Chicaaaaago?
I'm stuck on the couch rocking an infant, feel free to PM it to me

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 pm

MumofCad wrote:
snehpets wrote:
No, I do actually see your point, and I wasn't personally offended at all. I think I'm withdrawing from the waitlist this week anyway. I just remember when I was waiting to get into my top choice how stressful/frustrating it was to read people talking about applying for scholarships, attending ASW, etc. when I was still looking at my status checker forlornly every 45 seconds. Because of that, I just think everyone could benefit from an In at thread for almost any school. I would have just made one and linked it, but it would've looked a little weird since I'm not "In at Chicago" :P

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

... srsly?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

MumofCad wrote:
I'm stuck on the couch rocking an infant, feel free to PM it to me

A PM you will receive, thanks!
dakure wrote:
... srsly?

srsly. ... stop being angry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”