SMU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Re: SMU 2012

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Awesome, thanks! GL all. In the meantime we should all cross our fingers for Dallas after NALP's newest article on buying power came out: http://www.nalp.org/buying_power_index_class_of_2010
sarahmargie wrote:

It's definitely non-binding.

I copied and pasted this from the email they sent me:

Your application to SMU Dedman School of Law is complete. As you have met our early decision deadline, a non-binding decision letter will be mailed at the end of January.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Stevoman wrote:Hey guys, question about the "Why SMU?" paper.

One of the many reasons I want to end up in Dallas is that my grandparents lives there and my grandmother has Alzheimer that is rapidly deteriorating, and she probably only has 3-4 years left on this earth. They have very little family in the area, and while I certainly won't be able to take care of them full-time while in law school, I will be able to help them a lot more than I currently can from Houston, and of course spend more of what little time she has left with them.

Is this the sort of thing worth mentioning, or better left out, of the "Why SMU?" paragraph? I don't want to derail the paragraph with a story, but this is a big factor in me trying to break into the Dallas area.
It's important to have a reason to want to go to Dallas. The reason you've given is better than most people's will be. I would include it (but maybe not in so much detail -- say that you have grandparents in the area that you'd like to get to spend more time with, etc.), but as a separate essay, not as a paragraph within your PS.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:51 pm

swilson215 wrote:It's important to have a reason to want to go to Dallas. The reason you've given is better than most people's will be. I would include it (but maybe not in so much detail -- say that you have grandparents in the area that you'd like to get to spend more time with, etc.), but as a separate essay, not as a paragraph within your PS.
Thank you.

Yes, this is for the separate "Why SMU?" essay, not my PS. :)

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:05 pm

If I have a 3.68/162 what are my chances for full-time admissions and part-time with a scholarship?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:05 pm

UNTravis wrote:If I have a 3.68/162 what are my chances for full-time admissions and part-time with a scholarship?
I would think if you apply early (as in NOW), you have a shot at getting in with $$ FT. Are you a URM? Because that would definitely increase your chances at $$!

Either way, apply now. I would definitely go with FT if I were you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

@swilson215, YGPM! :)

ClutchCity24

New

Post by ClutchCity24 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Stevoman wrote:
swilson215 wrote:It's important to have a reason to want to go to Dallas. The reason you've given is better than most people's will be. I would include it (but maybe not in so much detail -- say that you have grandparents in the area that you'd like to get to spend more time with, etc.), but as a separate essay, not as a paragraph within your PS.
Thank you.

Yes, this is for the separate "Why SMU?" essay, not my PS. :)

I would definitely include that fact about your grandparents and the Alzheimers. My whole reason was that I am from Texas and really like Dallas. Your reason is far superior to mine and shows a strong desire to attend SMU. I would also highlight some other reason as to why you want Dallas...such as you live in Houston now and want to stay in Texas for law school and after.

ClutchCity24

New

Post by ClutchCity24 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 pm

UNTravis wrote:If I have a 3.68/162 what are my chances for full-time admissions and part-time with a scholarship?
SMU cares more about the LSAT and last year the magic number was really a 165. I am not sure as to how the GPA will play in terms of money. If i were you I would consider retaking in December to see if you can improve just a couple points. A small increase will get you money.

Sorry I really don't know about part-time.

Also for any of those applying I am an 1L and I know that both me and SWilson will be around to answer questions.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Name is in the hat. Big thanks to swilson/ClutchCity for the help! :)

I'm sitting on 161/3.72. Consider retaking in December for scholly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 am

swilson215 wrote:
I would think if you apply early (as in NOW), you have a shot at getting in with $$ FT. Are you a URM? Because that would definitely increase your chances at $$!

Either way, apply now. I would definitely go with FT if I were you!
Not a URM. I thought I had no chance for $$ with FT? I thought I was boarder line just to get in to their FT program? Would you say my chances are good for $$ with their PT?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:42 am

UNTravis wrote: Not a URM. I thought I had no chance for $$ with FT? I thought I was boarder line just to get in to their FT program? Would you say my chances are good for $$ with their PT?
I would never say that you have no chance of $$. Personally my LSAT was higher than yours, my GPA was lower, and I got $. But I'm "technically" a URM (non-Mexican/PR Hispanic, so not a huge boost, but not no boost). However, I did hit that "magic" number that ClutchCity was talking about.

It's just a numbers/time game. You're not low enough that you're out of the game. I think they give less $$ to the PT kids than they do to the FT kids, but that's just from my observation on the boards over the last year(ish). Also, I noticed that (proprtionally) way more people got $$ if they applied early and were accepted in the first wave than if they applied and were accepted later.

But take all of these statements with a grain of salt. Nothing is definite, or even predictive.

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:06 pm

1L currently at SMU so the admissions process is still fresh in my mind if anyone wants to PM me with questions.

Also, a word of advice: go to a law school where Legal Writing is pass/fail

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:13 am

ClutchCity24 wrote:
SMU cares more about the LSAT and last year the magic number was really a 165. I am not sure as to how the GPA will play in terms of money. If i were you I would consider retaking in December to see if you can improve just a couple points. A small increase will get you money.

Also for any of those applying I am an 1L and I know that both me and SWilson will be around to answer questions.
Thanks for the advice. However, the October LSAT was the second time I took it and after 6 months of studying for the LSAT I am done. So I will take my chances with 162.

If I choose part time, how bad does it look if I do not work? I would prefer not to work while in law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 pm

UNTravis wrote:
ClutchCity24 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. However, the October LSAT was the second time I took it and after 6 months of studying for the LSAT I am done. So I will take my chances with 162.

If I choose part time, how bad does it look if I do not work? I would prefer not to work while in law school.
Hi! I am a current 1E PT student. I knew a guy who got in last year with a 160/3.9 FT. I would apply to both if I were you. If it seems like you are going to get WL'ed or rejected (you won't get rejected), then you can e-mail them and ask to be considered mainly for PT and they will accept you with money. This happened to quite a few people last year. I had a 161/3.33 and got $9k.. I think $12k was max.

As for the PT program, I would say about 60% of students don't work their first year. A lot of people do the PT program so they can have the ABILITY to work FT after their first year. First year it is important to focus on grades and do the best you can. The nice thing about the PT program is that you can work FT if you'd like whenever. It will not hurt you if you don't work FT your first semester or your 1E year.

If anybody else has any questions about the PT program, feel free to PM me or write me on here and I'd be happy to answer!

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:43 pm

I screwed up my application. Somehow a different document ended up attached somewhere else. I've e-mailed them. But I have a dark pit in my stomach. Ugh

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 am

How hard is it to transfer from PT to FT? Is it even possible? If so, and if I have PT $$, does the scholarship transfer over as well?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:49 am

Stevoman wrote:Name is in the hat. Big thanks to swilson/ClutchCity for the help! :)

I'm sitting on 161/3.72. Consider retaking in December for scholly?
Yes. I wish I had retaken the LSAT. If you think you can do better you should retake. Otherwise you're leaving dollars on the table.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 pm

UNTravis wrote:How hard is it to transfer from PT to FT? Is it even possible? If so, and if I have PT $$, does the scholarship transfer over as well?
It's simple to transfer. You can do it after your first year by just adding more classes. You will have to either take a heavy course load for a couple semesters or make up hours in the summer. From what I understand, your scholarship stays but you don't get the money allocated to you for the fourth year.

That being said, you miss out on certain opportunities by transferring into the FT program. As nerdy as this sounds, I'm not quite sure I should be telling you over an open forum.. so I'll PM you :). If anybody else wants this info feel free to PM me as well.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Scholarship chance question here: URM, 162, 3.55. Any possibility?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm

ebo wrote:Also, a word of advice: go to a law school where Legal Writing is pass/fail
+1million

Undoubtedly the worst part about 1L year. You will probably spend more time on this one class than all of your other classes combined.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:27 pm

fathergoose wrote:
ebo wrote:Also, a word of advice: go to a law school where Legal Writing is pass/fail
+1million

Undoubtedly the worst part about 1L year. You will probably spend more time on this one class than all of your other classes combined.
Is SMU's legal writing pass/fail?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reepS

New

Post by reepS » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm

no

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm

DportIA wrote:Scholarship chance question here: URM, 162, 3.55. Any possibility?
with the URM, likely/probably. Apply early.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:10 am

If you miss early decision does it matter now early you apply? Does the day AFTER early admission give you the same chances as the day before the deadline?

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm

UNTravis wrote:If you miss early decision does it matter now early you apply? Does the day AFTER early admission give you the same chances as the day before the deadline?
It always matters how early you apply. The earlier you apply, the better the chances. I applied after the Nov. 1 deadline last year (I applied on 11/15), and I got in with the first "wave" of applicants, so if you apply in early November you're probably going to get reviewed around the same time as the ED people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”