SMU 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Flappy Scribbleneck
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 am

Kalvano, your comment about being confident that all of your classmates will be employed. It stands out to me as a very un-TLS-like comment. Coming especialy from a very level headed poster (no sarcasm). Can I ask, do you also feel like everyone will be employed with a salary that makes their financial investment in SMU worthwhile? As a Dallas person, SMU is going to be my best choice. TLS has made me strongly question my plans, being shut out of the T15, bimodal distribution of salaries, lack of biglaw midlaw jobs, etc.

apeopleshistory
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 am

.
Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby chrisokc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 am

Gail wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Hmm... Does attending Colorado put one in a better position than SMU?


Depends on who you are, what you want, and who you know


Of course, but the post I quoted was phrased as though a school like Colorado is unequivocally better than SMU because it is "ranked higher." My aim was to point out that those rankings shouldn't be given that much consideration, and I hope everyone here knows that.

RaiderBlue17
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 am

chrisokc wrote:
Gail wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Hmm... Does attending Colorado put one in a better position than SMU?


Depends on who you are, what you want, and who you know


Of course, but the post I quoted was phrased as though a school like Colorado is unequivocally better than SMU because it is "ranked higher." My aim was to point out that those rankings shouldn't be given that much consideration, and I hope everyone here knows that.


Well here's is my reasoning. She will be. number 1 in a HUGE market in Denver as well as number one in the entire state of Colorado.

She got flat our rejected at SMU but got into a better ranked school that would also cost her less money than sticker at SMU. So yeah if she's looking for great career prospects Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder etc gives her a leg up that SMU does not.

So I stand by my statement that she should be proud to be accepted into boulder and she can save $$$ and agony.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 am

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Kalvano, your comment about being confident that all of your classmates will be employed. It stands out to me as a very un-TLS-like comment. Coming especialy from a very level headed poster (no sarcasm). Can I ask, do you also feel like everyone will be employed with a salary that makes their financial investment in SMU worthwhile? As a Dallas person, SMU is going to be my best choice. TLS has made me strongly question my plans, being shut out of the T15, bimodal distribution of salaries, lack of biglaw midlaw jobs, etc.


I can't speak to everyone, but I think that with SMU's generosity with scholarships, most people will be alright. At full pop, SMU is shockingly expensive, and that's where it gets hazy to me.

But...the Dallas legal market is pretty big, and SMU still has a very, very good name in the area. I think that everyone will be employed, but not everyone will get the job they want. Obviously, things don't always go perfectly.

I think that any consideration of whether salary will be worth it is personal to your debt and your current earnings potential. I think it's important to look at what you make now, what the earnings potential at your current job is in 5-7 years, and compare that to the possibility of earnings after school. One thing to keep in mind is that starting salary is not the be-all, end-all. Talk with some attorneys and see what people are making 5 years in. Then compare that to what you lose out on for 3 years, and how much SMU will cost you.

Obviously if Biglaw is the only goal, then SMU does OK, but higher-ranked is better. If you simply want to be a lawyer in Dallas (or Fort Worth / Plano / etc.), and are OK not making $160K out of the gate, then SMU makes a lot of sense. I think Dallas is a little harder to judge by TLS standards because most places are either Biglaw at $160K or crap at $40K, whereas Dallas has a lot of smaller firms that can place you into that $65K - $100K range.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby swilson215 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08 am

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Kalvano, your comment about being confident that all of your classmates will be employed. It stands out to me as a very un-TLS-like comment. Coming especialy from a very level headed poster (no sarcasm). Can I ask, do you also feel like everyone will be employed with a salary that makes their financial investment in SMU worthwhile? As a Dallas person, SMU is going to be my best choice. TLS has made me strongly question my plans, being shut out of the T15, bimodal distribution of salaries, lack of biglaw midlaw jobs, etc.


As a 1L who has yet to go through OCI, I can't really speak to your question, but I can say this: please please PLEASE take TLS with a grain of salt. Those of us joining and posting generally do so because we're type A personalities who are used to being some of the more intelligent people in a room. Also, a TON of the posters are 0Ls, or T14 students with no actual working knowledge of a school ranked below 14, only anecdotal evidence.

There is some really good advice on this site, and as a poster you'll probably go into 1L with a better understanding of what's going on than many of your classmates. But don't let the site fool you with its "T14 or BUST!" mentality. There are lots of good options outside the T14, and going to a more regional or less prestigious school than Harvard can indeed be beneficial. Just weigh all of the factors and make the right decision for you.

apeopleshistory
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 am

.
Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby freaknroll » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 am

This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.

User avatar
Flappy Scribbleneck
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am

Can I just say how much I appreciate the TLS-SMU contingent. Kalvano, Miss Wilson, chrisokc et al, you guys are super solid

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby swilson215 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:30 am

freaknroll wrote:This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.


You don't hesitate to ask any questions. Seriously, I have civ pro this morning. I'm going to need something to do...

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby swilson215 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 am

Off topic, I know. But I'm dyyyyyyying laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jw3T3J ... ata_player

Kristen Bell and I are basically the same person when it cows to dealing with overwhelming emotions. But I don't get weird about sloths. I do, however, have panic attacks and fits of sobbing in the library when I see videos f animal testing sites shut down and the puppiez freed and walking on grass for the first time.
Last edited by swilson215 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby freaknroll » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:34 am

swilson215 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.


You don't hesitate to ask any questions. Seriously, I have civ pro this morning. I'm going to need something to do...


Does the law school get into the football tailgates and how is the social scene among students?

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby swilson215 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 am

freaknroll wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.


You don't hesitate to ask any questions. Seriously, I have civ pro this morning. I'm going to need something to do...


Does the law school get into the football tailgates and how is the social scene among students?


Yes, free tickets for you and guests to the law school tent at the tailgate, which is food and beer. The social scene among law students is what you make it, but it's a very insular world, so you end up hanging out with a BUNCH of law students. We have bar reviews often, and even when we don't we generally end up running into (either by design or coincidence) other groups of law students out uptown or in Greenville every weekend.

As far as the social scene on campus, it really depends on you and your personality, but in my experience everyone is really friendly to everyone else. We go grab Starbucks or JDs cookies after class together, etc. It's not that cutthroat, "I'm going to rip the pages out of the books and only talk to you about my outlines" world here.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby freaknroll » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

swilson215 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.


You don't hesitate to ask any questions. Seriously, I have civ pro this morning. I'm going to need something to do...


Does the law school get into the football tailgates and how is the social scene among students?


Yes, free tickets for you and guests to the law school tent at the tailgate, which is food and beer. The social scene among law students is what you make it, but it's a very insular world, so you end up hanging out with a BUNCH of law students. We have bar reviews often, and even when we don't we generally end up running into (either by design or coincidence) other groups of law students out uptown or in Greenville every weekend.

As far as the social scene on campus, it really depends on you and your personality, but in my experience everyone is really friendly to everyone else. We go grab Starbucks or JDs cookies after class together, etc. It's not that cutthroat, "I'm going to rip the pages out of the books and only talk to you about my outlines" world here.


I know that the SMU undergrad scene is dominated by a fratty atmosphere, is the law school comparable?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 am

Not in my experience.

User avatar
Flappy Scribbleneck
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:57 am

kalvano wrote:Not in my experience.

Are you disagreeing with swilsons opinion about the social scene or are you disagreeing with the fratty tag?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not in my experience.

Are you disagreeing with swilsons opinion about the social scene or are you disagreeing with the fratty tag?


The fratty thing. Granted, I'm not the most involved in the social scene, but I don't think it's a factor unless you want it to be.

My only complaint is the dumbass sorority girls that literally hang out in the streets on my way home and look mad that someone has the temerity to drive a car on their street.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby freaknroll » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not in my experience.

Are you disagreeing with swilsons opinion about the social scene or are you disagreeing with the fratty tag?


The fratty thing. Granted, I'm not the most involved in the social scene, but I don't think it's a factor unless you want it to be.

My only complaint is the dumbass sorority girls that literally hang out in the streets on my way home and look mad that someone has the temerity to drive a car on their street.


Don't care if hot.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby chrisokc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:04 pm

freaknroll wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.


You don't hesitate to ask any questions. Seriously, I have civ pro this morning. I'm going to need something to do...


Does the law school get into the football tailgates and how is the social scene among students?

I'll tell you what, my wife and I walked around the "boulevarding" (SMU for tailgating) scene, and if I was back in my hard-partying days, it would be a lot of fun. Free booze everywhere. If you're a decent looking single guy, there are tons of above-average looking super-rich undergraduate girls at that stuff. I suppose the same would go for girls seeking guys. In 2010, the school had Everclear performing before the first football game.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 pm

freaknroll wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not in my experience.

Are you disagreeing with swilsons opinion about the social scene or are you disagreeing with the fratty tag?


The fratty thing. Granted, I'm not the most involved in the social scene, but I don't think it's a factor unless you want it to be.

My only complaint is the dumbass sorority girls that literally hang out in the streets on my way home and look mad that someone has the temerity to drive a car on their street.


Don't care if hot.


Hot can only go so far. At some point their stupidity becomes overwhelming.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby freaknroll » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm

chrisokc wrote:
freaknroll wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:This has been awesome information from those of yal who go to the school, please don't hesitate to share any more info.


You don't hesitate to ask any questions. Seriously, I have civ pro this morning. I'm going to need something to do...


Does the law school get into the football tailgates and how is the social scene among students?

I'll tell you what, my wife and I walked around the "boulevarding" (SMU for tailgating) scene, and if I was back in my hard-partying days, it would be a lot of fun. Free booze everywhere. If you're a decent looking single guy, there are tons of above-average looking super-rich undergraduate girls at that stuff. I suppose the same would go for girls seeking guys. In 2010, the school had Everclear performing before the first football game.


This sounds great. I've got high expectations coming from a big state school where football was enormous.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby chrisokc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm from Oklahoma, and I'd say this looks like almost as much fun as OU's pregame stuff, just on a much smaller scale.

User avatar
Flappy Scribbleneck
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Someone in a random thread attributed SMUs relative strength to the Methodist community and Methodist patronage, like there is a Methodist mafia or something. Comparing SMU to Yeshiva and BYU. This seems silly to me, but I am going to ask anyway: is there any truth to this?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Someone in a random thread attributed SMUs relative strength to the Methodist community and Methodist patronage, like there is a Methodist mafia or something. Comparing SMU to Yeshiva and BYU. This seems silly to me, but I am going to ask anyway: is there any truth to this?


Methodist in name only. Whoever said that is wildly misinformed.

Also, what thread? Curious.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby chrisokc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Kalvano is right, but there is a really beautiful Methodist church on the southwest corner of campus.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, GoGreen17, Long shot hero, Rich Uncle Skeleton, spookyg_g_ghost and 30 guests