SMU 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Magnifique1908

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 am

kalvano wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:Yeah....IDK if I'll be waiting that long. It's my only option in Dallas but I'm not sure if I prefer Dallas over Austin.

May give it a month, then I'll probably withdraw.

Wait, you're in at UT? Withdraw from SMU now. Go to UT.

I'm still waiting on a few options but moving with a family doesn't give me the option to just go to the highest ranked school. I have to take other things in to account, including the fact that the SO could be transferred to his company's office in Dallas. No such deal in Austin.

We'll see what happens though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 am

No, you don't understand. If you have a choice between UT and SMU, you need to do whatever is necessary to go to UT. The difference between the two schools is astonishing.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:32 am

kalvano wrote:No, you don't understand. If you have a choice between UT and SMU, you need to do whatever is necessary to go to UT. The difference between the two schools is astonishing.

It's not always so simple. If SMU offers magnifique a good scholly and the SO can transfer, thus keeping the debt very small or nil, SMU could be a good choice. SMU has great ties to Dallas and places great there. The highest ranked school is not always the smartest choice. There could be many reasons why someone would choose a lower ranked school over a higher one. We're not talking about turning down Yale for Cooley.

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

My application is held, and it says on status checker that they only want to review "at least some of the regular decision applicants." Well, I know that they have reviewed at least some, because some RD applicants have already been accepted. I know what "at least some" means.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 am

citykitty wrote:
kalvano wrote:No, you don't understand. If you have a choice between UT and SMU, you need to do whatever is necessary to go to UT. The difference between the two schools is astonishing.

It's not always so simple. If SMU offers magnifique a good scholly and the SO can transfer, thus keeping the debt very small or nil, SMU could be a good choice. SMU has great ties to Dallas and places great there. The highest ranked school is not always the smartest choice. There could be many reasons why someone would choose a lower ranked school over a higher one. We're not talking about turning down Yale for Cooley.

Having been at SMU for almost two years and been through OCI, plus experienced SMU's stupid graded LRW program, I would take UT at full cost over SMU on full scholarship. No question. It's something you won't understand until you actual start looking for jobs, but the difference in opportunities that are available to you from UT versus SMU is mind-boggling.

And I don't mean opportunities that are open to UT and the top 10% or so at SMU. I mean opportunities that will never be open at all to SMU people, simply because they go to SMU.

I'm married, wife has a job, etc., so I'm not just throwing stuff out there. SMU is a fine school, and there are many aspects of it I like, but there is simply no comparison.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am

citykitty wrote:

I'm at SMU, and an SMU fan. Go to UT if at all possible. Yeah, SMU places well in Dallas...UT places better. Of course sometimes it's not so easy, but if you can at all, you should REALLY try.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 am

I appreciate the responses all.

Everyone's situation is different. I wish I was making this decision as a brand new graduate with little responsibilities but life didn't pan out that way for me.

Please believe I'm making every preparation that I can (outside scholarships, negotiations, etc.) to try to attend the best school I can, but my new family (SO and a brand new little one) is no small consideration.

I want to do what's best for me in getting the best chance at employment which will obviously help my family but three years of living and major debt are considerations as well. I know all about the whole ranking and prestige thing, I'm an Ivy grad and first in my family to even go to college. I'm being optimistic....and also realistic lol.

Again, we'll see what happens.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

If you're OK with living in Texas, I'm not sure if there's a better option that UT, period.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btw384

Postby btw384 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

citykitty wrote:

+ 1000

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

chrisokc wrote:If you're OK with living in Texas, I'm not sure if there's a better option that UT, period.

We haven't even decided on Texas, so yeah, there's that.

Its February 1st. I have not even begun to make a decision people lol.

I have acceptances all over the country (which I'm enormously grateful for) and still waiting on others. There's no indication that we may not even stay in OH.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
citykitty wrote:

Having been at SMU for almost two years and been through OCI, plus experienced SMU's stupid graded LRW program, I would take UT at full cost over SMU on full scholarship. No question. It's something you won't understand until you actual start looking for jobs, but the difference in opportunities that are available to you from UT versus SMU is mind-boggling.

And I don't mean opportunities that are open to UT and the top 10% or so at SMU. I mean opportunities that will never be open at all to SMU people, simply because they go to SMU.

I'm married, wife has a job, etc., so I'm not just throwing stuff out there. SMU is a fine school, and there are many aspects of it I like, but there is simply no comparison.

What kinds of opportunities are you referring to that are not even open to any SMU people at all?

Lindsey4468

Postby Lindsey4468 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Did anyone else get denied.... Besides me :(

Not even held for further review. Just flat deny from both programs. Screw this. I'm going to Colorado. I had super ties to dallasand SMU too. Laclasjclsjdiownecounwdoucnd ugh.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I wouldn't sweat denial from SMU.... I mean You got into COLORADO BOULDER... Its ranked higher and you have a cheaper tuition rate...!

I applied to SMU with numbers a small bit better than yours and I expect to be rejected as well... But hey I got into Washington and Lee!

So the old saying goes: When one door closes another opens couldn't be more true regarding you.

Congrats on Boulder. I wouldn't pass that up in a heartbeat!

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:I wouldn't sweat denial from SMU.... I mean You got into COLORADO BOULDER... Its ranked higher and you have a cheaper tuition rate...!

I applied to SMU with numbers a small bit better than yours and I expect to be rejected as well... But hey I got into Washington and Lee!

So the old saying goes: When one door closes another opens couldn't be more true regarding you.

Congrats on Boulder. I wouldn't pass that up in a heartbeat!

Hmm... Does attending Colorado put one in a better position than SMU?

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:28 pm

ucbkenn wrote:
kalvano wrote:
citykitty wrote:

What kinds of opportunities are you referring to that are not even open to any SMU people at all?

+1, I'm curious about this as well.

cch24

Postby cch24 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Status checker updated yesterday but got the call today. She mentioned scholarships in my admit packet so I guess I have to wait for that to show up.

eaper

Postby eaper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm

cch24 wrote:Status checker updated yesterday but got the call today. She mentioned scholarships in my admit packet so I guess I have to wait for that to show up.

+1.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:55 pm

chrisokc wrote:Hmm... Does attending Colorado put one in a better position than SMU?

Depends on who you are, what you want, and who you know

A Colorado resident with a desire to stay in Colorado should go to Boulder. *

Anyone that wants Dallas should go to SMU. *

* Assuming that they can't get into the top 15 schools.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: opportunities...I'm on my phone on the way home, so I can't type much. I'll try and remember to fill in more later. But just as a quickie...guess how many firms showed up to OCI at SMU, total? Around 75. And in the Dallas market, you're not just competing with UT and other SMU people anymore. They have specific T14 programs to bring Duke, UVA, etc., to Dallas for interviews. So even if a Dallas firm has 8 slots for SA's, only 1 or 2 of those may go to SMU people.

I'm not sure the exact number of firms that show up to UT's OCI, but it's a vastly higher number than SMU's. Not to mention the amount of boutique firms that only take UT people is a lot higher than the SMU-only firms.

As I've said before, there are many good points to SMU. But this whole "dominates Dallas" idea isn't that valid anymore, not with the amount of attorneys looking for work. It's still a strong presence, but nowhere near what it was. But SMU still likes to pretend its 2001, not 2012.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

kalvano wrote:Re: opportunities...I'm on my phone on the way home, so I can't type much. I'll try and remember to fill in more later. But just as a quickie...guess how many firms showed up to OCI at SMU, total? Around 75. And in the Dallas market, you're not just competing with UT and other SMU people anymore. They have specific T14 programs to bring Duke, UVA, etc., to Dallas for interviews. So even if a Dallas firm has 8 slots for SA's, only 1 or 2 of those may go to SMU people.

I'm not sure the exact number of firms that show up to UT's OCI, but it's a vastly higher number than SMU's. Not to mention the amount of boutique firms that only take UT people is a lot higher than the SMU-only firms.

As I've said before, there are many good points to SMU. But this whole "dominates Dallas" idea isn't that valid anymore, not with the amount of attorneys looking for work. It's still a strong presence, but nowhere near what it was. But SMU still likes to pretend its 2001, not 2012.

How badly have you been affected by some of the slower nature of SMU? By which I mean 1L grades?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Several things I applied for as a 1L were at least somewhat affected by the fact that we didn't get our grades until almost the end of January, weeks after almost everyone else, and then vey late into the summer.

It won't affect you at OCI, but it could cost you a 1L gig.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 pm

Just wanted to add that I am really not trying to drag the thread down. People that have been accepted should be very pleased. SMU is a good school, and I can name off as many things I like about it as things that irritate me. Even regarding employment, it's still a strong school, if not where it was. I have every confidence that everyone in my class will be employed either at graduation or within a few months of it. I still advocate UT, even with a large cost differential, simply because the opportunities are so much better. As well, there is more opportunity at a lower class rank than there is at SMU. But there are a lot of opportunities at SMU as well...even given my criticisms, it is without a doubt one of the strongest lower T1's out there. As far as potential Biglaw placement goes, I'm not sure any school anywhere close to its ranking performs as well.

I'll end on this note, sort of an uplifting one. Without a doubt, one thing SMU has done exceedingly well is pull in A LOT of extremely intelligent, young, enthusiastic professors. Not just paper-writing-machines that teach as little as necessary, but professors that actually enjoy teaching and put a lot of effort into it. I cannot say enough about the quality of the teachers in general. Sure there are a few that I wouldn't want to take a class with, but the good far outweigh the bad. The majority of them not only want to teach, they want to help you do well, and if you're willing to put in the time, so are they. They are exactly what you would hope to see in professors at a quality law school...they teach well, they are interesting, and most important, they are willing to help you do well. Office meetings, going over exams or practice exam answers, willing to chat in their office about their experiences and help you figure out what you want to do, letters of rec...by and large, the faculty is superb.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahmargie

Postby sarahmargie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 am

apeopleshistory wrote:Should I send a LOCI after being held? I'm not sure of the protocol for my situation.

There's a really logical explanation of what to do on this website. The explanation is in reference to waitlists, but I think it applies. It says that if you've been accepted to at least one school you prefer, to politely withdraw. If you prefer the school that waitlisted you above every school that accepted you, send in a LOCI.

I know being held is not the same as being waitlisted, but so many of us were held that those who are really serious about SMU should do what they can to stand out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”