SMU 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 pm

eaper wrote:
kalvano wrote:They've always called in the past. Plus, it's still a little early.


"We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed." Guess they changed that. And, yeah, it'll probably close to another week before they release stuff (if past trends hold).


They've always had that disclaimer, though, if I'm recalling correctly. So I think you'll still get a phone call if you've been accepted.

User avatar
HankBeech
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby HankBeech » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm

citykitty wrote:
PrincetonLaw wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
eaper wrote:Updated to 1/23... Apparently they're mailing all decisions, so, even if they did decide (and didn't update the status) I'll still have a wait to do=\


+1


+1


Same for me!


Me too!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby eaper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
eaper wrote:
kalvano wrote:They've always called in the past. Plus, it's still a little early.


"We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed." Guess they changed that. And, yeah, it'll probably close to another week before they release stuff (if past trends hold).


They've always had that disclaimer, though, if I'm recalling correctly. So I think you'll still get a phone call if you've been accepted.


Oh really? ._. What teases.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Gail » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 pm

well it looks like they updated everyone. Damn. Thought I might have a leg up, like this was a good sign. Alas, it's just a sign.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby swilson215 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
eaper wrote:
kalvano wrote:They've always called in the past. Plus, it's still a little early.


"We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed." Guess they changed that. And, yeah, it'll probably close to another week before they release stuff (if past trends hold).


They've always had that disclaimer, though, if I'm recalling correctly. So I think you'll still get a phone call if you've been accepted.


Last year the disclaimer was there, and we were notified by status checker and phone call. They couldn't call everyone because there was an ice storm and they ended up shutting down the school/admin offices and sending everyone home.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Dash41 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Gail wrote:well it looks like they updated everyone. Damn. Thought I might have a leg up, like this was a good sign. Alas, it's just a sign.


I'm not updated. Although my application only became complete on January 13.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby snehpets » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm

So, out of curiosity I read through last year's SMU thread. In case any of you are interested:

-It seems like a first round of people updated around 1/23 (the thread is kind of unclear) to complete
-Following these updates (a couple of days later) a few people way below their usual acceptances were denied via status checker
-Following these updates (around the same time as the denials, maybe a day or two later), a few people with borderline numbers were held for further review
-Around the 28th, another group of people updated.
-The morning of the 31st decisions for the first group of updates (or at leasts that's what it seems like) went out via status checker. The 28th updaters did not have a status change. These seem to be all admits, but I didn't read that closely, I admit.
-Later in the day those who updated on the 28th had their status changed, also to admitted mostly.
-A few more holds went out towards the end of the day on the 31st.
-These decisions were a mix of EA and RD people.

So, summary, you probably won't have to wait for your letter, but it's not unlikely that you'll have to wait till the 31st. Hope this is helpful to some of you!
Last edited by snehpets on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HankBeech
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby HankBeech » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 pm

snehpets wrote:So, out of curiosity I read through last year's SMU thread. In case any of you are interested:

-It seems like a first round of people updated around 1/23 (the thread is kind of unclear) to complete
-Following these updates, a few people way below their usual acceptances were denied via status checker
-Following these updates, a few people with borderline numbers were held for further review
-Around the 28th, another group of people updated.
-The morning of the 31st decisions for the first group of updates (or at leasts that's what it seems like) went out via status checker. The 28th updaters did not have a status change. These seem to be all admits, but I didn't read that closely, I admit.
-Later in the day those who updated on the 28th had their status changed, also to admitted mostly.
-A few more holds went out towards the end of the day on the 31st.
-These decisions were a mix of EA and RD people.

So, summary, you probably won't have to wait for your letter, but it's not unlikely that you'll have to wait till the 31st. Hope this is helpful to some of you!


This is great. Thank you!

defendthefort
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby defendthefort » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:09 am

Hmm... I didn't get an update like y'all did. But I went complete on November 3rd...

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 am

defendthefort wrote:Hmm... I didn't get an update like y'all did. But I went complete on November 3rd...


I didn't either. I went complete on 12/2.

dallas12
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby dallas12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 am

what are you stats

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 am

Updated to 1/23 as well.

defendthefort
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby defendthefort » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 am

dallas12 wrote:what are you stats


They're good for SMU. Just interesting. Wonder if its alphabetical (I'm at the end..) or just a precursor that doesn't mean all that much yet.

Lindsey4468
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Lindsey4468 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:09 am

Mine has not updated either, and I was complete 11/1. I did receive an email back in November stating that I did meet all requirements for ED though, so this is a bit strange. :(

mooseman2216
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby mooseman2216 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:32 am

3.6 166 updated today

andresmtz147
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby andresmtz147 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:45 am

Hello all,

I've read all ya'lls posts... impressive LSATs and great GPAs.

I know this is not the threat for this, but you're a "friendly bunch"

URM... Hispanic... Undergrad GPA 3.51 ... MBA GPA 3.91 (2012) LSAT 148 (twice)...

Will submit app this week.

Could I be one of their affirmative-action/diversity acceptees?

seeking honesty, with a dash of hope.

SMU is my target!

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby chrisokc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:16 am

mooseman2216 wrote:3.6 166 updated today

Congratulations! You are accepted!

User avatar
MBshine22
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby MBshine22 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:34 am

Trying to get into SMU this Fall and feel I'll need AT LEAST a 168 to stand a good chance. I'm taking the February LSAT and will be a late decision applicant. I have a 3.41 GPA from FSU. I believe the median LSAT at SMU (full-time) is around 163 and sharply rising? I could be wrong about that. Regardless I know my chances are heavily diminished due to late application and a so-so GPA. I'm thinking a killer LSAT will be my only shot. What number do you guys think I'd need to 1) make me competitive 2) secure acceptance?

Might be worth noting my undergrad was Econ/Physics. Could count for something. Dunno how many math kids are applying to law school.

Appreciate any feedback

User avatar
MBshine22
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby MBshine22 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 am

andresmtz147 wrote:Hello all,

I've read all ya'lls posts... impressive LSATs and great GPAs.

I know this is not the threat for this, but you're a "friendly bunch"

URM... Hispanic... Undergrad GPA 3.51 ... MBA GPA 3.91 (2012) LSAT 148 (twice)...

Will submit app this week.

Could I be one of their affirmative-action/diversity acceptees?

seeking honesty, with a dash of hope.

SMU is my target!



Honestly, I'm not sure even a 3.91 MBA and being Hispanic will compensate for a 148 LSAT...especially twice. But it also really matters where you got your degrees; a 3.91 GPA at a big-name school means a lot more than a 3.91 GPA at a local college. If I were in your situation and set on SMU, I would probably try applying to the night program (part-time), since SMU doesn't demand as high an LSAT score for those students.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Gail » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 am

MBshine22 wrote:
andresmtz147 wrote:Hello all,

I've read all ya'lls posts... impressive LSATs and great GPAs.

I know this is not the threat for this, but you're a "friendly bunch"

URM... Hispanic... Undergrad GPA 3.51 ... MBA GPA 3.91 (2012) LSAT 148 (twice)...

Will submit app this week.

Could I be one of their affirmative-action/diversity acceptees?

seeking honesty, with a dash of hope.

SMU is my target!



Honestly, I'm not sure even a 3.91 MBA and being Hispanic will compensate for a 148 LSAT...especially twice. But it also really matters where you got your degrees; a 3.91 GPA at a big-name school means a lot more than a 3.91 GPA at a local college. If I were in your situation and set on SMU, I would probably try applying to the night program (part-time), since SMU doesn't demand as high an LSAT score for those students.



Well, the MBA certainly won't, but the URM status could. It will be really difficult though. It would be one thing if the MBA GPA were an undergrad GPA, I'd say he has a great chance then.

User avatar
Magnifique1908
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am

No update for me either.....10/18

User avatar
sarahmargie
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby sarahmargie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am

andresmtz147 wrote:Hello all,

I've read all ya'lls posts... impressive LSATs and great GPAs.

I know this is not the threat for this, but you're a "friendly bunch"

URM... Hispanic... Undergrad GPA 3.51 ... MBA GPA 3.91 (2012) LSAT 148 (twice)...

Will submit app this week.

Could I be one of their affirmative-action/diversity acceptees?

seeking honesty, with a dash of hope.

SMU is my target!



When I met a recruiting agent from SMU, she told me about a special program they have to help students who have low LSATs get admitted. She told me that last year the floor for that program was 153, but that she moved it up to 155. I don't know if the URM status might make it different, and I can't remember the name of the program, but maybe you could look into it.

User avatar
sarahmargie
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: SMU 2012

Postby sarahmargie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 am

Also, no update for me either. Baylor, SMU, and Houston all ignore me completely. I applied to all these schools the day the applications opened up. Is it possible I applied too early? Or maybe they just don't like me because my GPA is low.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:26 am

andresmtz147 wrote:Hello all,

I've read all ya'lls posts... impressive LSATs and great GPAs.

I know this is not the threat for this, but you're a "friendly bunch"

URM... Hispanic... Undergrad GPA 3.51 ... MBA GPA 3.91 (2012) LSAT 148 (twice)...

Will submit app this week.

Could I be one of their affirmative-action/diversity acceptees?

seeking honesty, with a dash of hope.

SMU is my target!


I don't think you have a shot with a 148. I think you need to get that to at least a 155 or so, even with URM status. I could be wrong, but they are an LSAT-heavy school, and you're applying very late.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2012

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am

MBshine22 wrote:Trying to get into SMU this Fall and feel I'll need AT LEAST a 168 to stand a good chance. I'm taking the February LSAT and will be a late decision applicant. I have a 3.41 GPA from FSU. I believe the median LSAT at SMU (full-time) is around 163 and sharply rising? I could be wrong about that. Regardless I know my chances are heavily diminished due to late application and a so-so GPA. I'm thinking a killer LSAT will be my only shot. What number do you guys think I'd need to 1) make me competitive 2) secure acceptance?

Might be worth noting my undergrad was Econ/Physics. Could count for something. Dunno how many math kids are applying to law school.

Appreciate any feedback


168 would be a solid in with money. 165-166 would still be a good chance, and almost certainly in if you held off and applied next cycle. Even if you get in with a 165-166, you may not get money, and in that case I would sit out and re-apply. SMU is expensive without some help.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, BruiseWillis, Helioze, JoshLyman13, Long shot hero, PDX4343, potterotter, spookyg_g_ghost, tlsfan13 and 29 guests