SMU 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flappy Scribbleneck

Re: SMU 2012

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm

kalvano wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
kalvano wrote:Terriers was fantastic TV. Still mad that's off the air.

NO! It is canceled?

It was canceled before it even finished it's first season. Thankfully, they let it play out.

Oh well, at least Private Practice is still on the air (sarcasm).

NN4

Postby NN4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Damn - I am sad that this thread is so dead
When I see some other TLSers from previous years that passed up some big name schools to go to SMU I feel like "Hell Yeah" and then I look at our 2012 thread and I feel a little embarrassed
Has anyone been to the campus, sat in on any classes, talked to any professors?
Are there any other Dallas people in here?
Anyone married, kids?
Quitting a job to go to Law School?
Struggling with the idea of Part-Time vs. Full Time?
Anyone with any information at all?

Current SMU student. I'm married with kids and go full time. I decided on FT instead of PT because I wanted to finish sooner. Not a native Texan, but passed up other schools for SMU because we wanted Dallas - it still had a relatively healthy job market and my kids are in good schools here. And after visiting a number of schools I liked the people at SMU - turned out that my intuition was good, my classmates are great. What kind of information are you looking for?

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:13 pm

I will be finished with my application tonight, when should I expect to hear back from the school?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 pm

UNTravis wrote:I will be finished with my application tonight, when should I expect to hear back from the school?

Not for a while, unfortunately. SMU is pretty slow about getting back to people, but when they do get back to you they normally include everything, including scholarship $, so that's a positive.

For reference, last year people who applied by the EA deadline started hearing back in waves mid- to late-january. The first batch of acceptances came out via status checker very close to the last day of Jan. Check out last year's thread for more info, or look at LSN to get the exact notification dates of a bunch of the applicants.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Seems like there are more older people applying this year. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. 31, married, no kids (2 awesome dogs), and I commute to SMU for the FT program.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 pm

swilson215 wrote:
UNTravis wrote:I will be finished with my application tonight, when should I expect to hear back from the school?

Not for a while, unfortunately. SMU is pretty slow about getting back to people, but when they do get back to you they normally include everything, including scholarship $, so that's a positive.

For reference, last year people who applied by the EA deadline started hearing back in waves mid- to late-january. The first batch of acceptances came out via status checker very close to the last day of Jan. Check out last year's thread for more info, or look at LSN to get the exact notification dates of a bunch of the applicants.

Would it be before April? My girlfriend and I are trying to go to the same school (she is getting her masters in Speech Pathology), it would be nice to now by then because thats when her deadline to decide is.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 pm

When was the EA deadline? I went complete around 11/23.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:52 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:Are there any scholarship opportunities for 2L/3L's based on rank or anything else?

Not that I am aware of.

I am happy to answer any questions on the PT program; I am a 3E and I work FT.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

freaknroll wrote:When was the EA deadline? I went complete around 11/23.

All materials in by the 15th of November, I believe.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 pm

kalvano wrote:

damn, I missed it by about a week. Any clue as to when people in my situation will begin hearing back?

ClutchCity24

Postby ClutchCity24 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm

freaknroll wrote:
kalvano wrote:

damn, I missed it by about a week. Any clue as to when people in my situation will begin hearing back?

I had exact same completion. 1 week after the EA deadline. I was still accepted in the first batch because of my LSAT. If your numbers are there you will probably hear in the first batch at the end of January. If not expect to wait awhile.

Also on the comment about will SMU let you know by beginning of April that is really up in the air. Last year a lot of people found out after April 1. And I'm not talking about wait list people getting in. SMU is really slow but you should be able to get a pretty good idea based on your LSAT and GPA.

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm

I just took a little walking tour of SMU and Highland Park. Would have actually talked to students/professors and inquired some more if I wasn't just passing through on a Roadtrip. It was a beautiful area. Hope to do a more formal tour when I get my decision!

zx92027xz

Postby zx92027xz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 pm

since there is so much talk about walk throughs and tours here, I thought I would chime in... I did an official guided tour a while back, and I was a little bit put off by how old everything seemed. It smelled like an old church building in the administration building... when you walk in and the floors creak, the paint looked dead, etc.

I liked the people I met there, and the library seemed great. It's a quaint little area, but yeah... just an honest assessment. To give some perspective, I walked around the University of Oklahoma law facility and enjoyed the aesthetics a lot more. Don't get me wrong, I would choose SMU over OU, but I was disappointed.

ElCoqui

Postby ElCoqui » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 pm

I am part of the waiting game like everyone else. I went complete back in November and am counting the days.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 pm

zx92027xz wrote:since there is so much talk about walk throughs and tours here, I thought I would chime in... I did an official guided tour a while back, and I was a little bit put off by how old everything seemed. It smelled like an old church building in the administration building... when you walk in and the floors creak, the paint looked dead, etc.

I liked the people I met there, and the library seemed great. It's a quaint little area, but yeah... just an honest assessment. To give some perspective, I walked around the University of Oklahoma law facility and enjoyed the aesthetics a lot more. Don't get me wrong, I would choose SMU over OU, but I was disappointed.

I understand your description. Quite a bit of Dallas is new, but there are some older buildings and many of them can be described like you just described SMU. It kind of grows on you, I promise. I studied every weekend for the LSAT in the third stacks which is exactly like you described, that smell propelled me to victory.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 pm

The oldness of SMU is what is appealing to me. Timeless look.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:37 pm

zx92027xz wrote:since there is so much talk about walk throughs and tours here, I thought I would chime in... I did an official guided tour a while back, and I was a little bit put off by how old everything seemed. It smelled like an old church building in the administration building... when you walk in and the floors creak, the paint looked dead, etc.

OU's law building is vastly superior to SMU's law facilities. Not that you'll ever go into many of them, but outside of the law quad, most of the buildings on SMU's campus are really nice. The rec. center is great. SMU Law did just remodel its worst classroom over the summer, and it now has a great feel. The actual law library is oddly designed, but you get used to it, and then it kind of grows on you.

By the way, zx92027xz, I'm a UCO grad as well.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Seems like there are more older people applying this year. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. 31, married, no kids (2 awesome dogs), and I commute to SMU for the FT program.

What kind of dogs?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:52 pm

kalvano wrote:Seems like there are more older people applying this year. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. 31, married, no kids (2 awesome dogs), and I commute to SMU for the FT program.

What kind of dogs?

I'm not Kalvano, but I have a schnoodle that I got a few months into 1L. He's really cute. Ask ClutchCity.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:01 am

What kind of dogs?

A German Shepherd and a pit bull. I can provide photos, if desired. They are awesome.

Mattthebarbarian

Postby Mattthebarbarian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:20 am

swilson215 wrote:
I'm not Kalvano, but I have a schnoodle that I got a few months into 1L. He's really cute. Ask ClutchCity.

Whoa. I have a schnoodle and his name is Wilson. He's two years old and weighs 15 pounds.

Freaky.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:40 am

Mattthebarbarian wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

Whoa. I have a schnoodle and his name is Wilson. He's two years old and weighs 15 pounds.

Freaky.

is schnoodle the next labradoodle?

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:44 am

kalvano wrote:

What kind of dogs?

A German Shepherd and a pit bull. I can provide photos, if desired. They are awesome.

lets see them!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Also, we have a cat -

Pets are great in school. They don't care what grade you made on anything, they just want food and a squeaky toy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”