SMU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nouseforaname123

Bronze

Re: SMU 2012

Post by nouseforaname123 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:13 am

profbarium wrote:Why do you say that? From what I understand, law schools aren't required to report stats for their transfers. Thus, they'd be more likely to let in "marginal" candidates. Or is that inconsistent from what you've heard?

For me personally, I was "good enough" to get wait-listed at SMU as a 1L (and wasn't taken off the list until the very last minute). My prior record remains intact, but now I've finished in the top third of my law school class. Seems like someone like me (who's shown a desire to work hard and a willingness to borrow money) would make a good Dedman grad.

Now I realize I'm biased, and I don't pretend otherwise. But I do doubt SMU is somehow so "caught up in itself" that anyone who didn't blow the doors off his T3/T4 1L year is simply "unworthy" to pay his tuition and come to class every day.
The problem is that you aren't the only person from TW applying to transfer into SMU. I started at SMU in the PT-program as c/o of 2013. I've seen three rounds of transfers into the school. SMU seems to take 3-5 TW transfers per year. Why choose the top third applicant when SMU can take 4 or 5 TW applicants in the top tenth?

ETA for busted: Job situation at TW?

profbarium

New

Post by profbarium » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:51 am

nouseforaname123 wrote:The problem is that you aren't the only person from TW applying to transfer into SMU. I started at SMU in the PT-program as c/o of 2013. I've seen three rounds of transfers into the school. SMU seems to take 3-5 TW transfers per year. Why choose the top third applicant when SMU can take 4 or 5 TW applicants in the top tenth?

ETA for busted: Job situation at TW?
Well, I guess you'd know better than me. My application is in, and I haven't been rejected yet. So I'm not giving up hope. We'll just have to see.

As for ETA for busted: Job situation at TW?, for the life of me I can't figure out what you're asking there. Please clarify. Thanks!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:32 am

profbarium wrote:
busted wrote:
profbarium wrote:Anyone else on this thread attempting to transfer into SMU in 2012? . . . I just finished 1L at Texas Wesleyan.
Unless you were near the top of the class (single digit percentile) don't even waste your time thinking about it.
Why do you say that? From what I understand, law schools aren't required to report stats for their transfers. Thus, they'd be more likely to let in "marginal" candidates. Or is that inconsistent from what you've heard?

For me personally, I was "good enough" to get wait-listed at SMU as a 1L (and wasn't taken off the list until the very last minute). My prior record remains intact, but now I've finished in the top third of my law school class. Seems like someone like me (who's shown a desire to work hard and a willingness to borrow money) would make a good Dedman grad.

Now I realize I'm biased, and I don't pretend otherwise. But I do doubt SMU is somehow so "caught up in itself" that anyone who didn't blow the doors off his T3/T4 1L year is simply "unworthy" to pay his tuition and come to class every day.

Top 1/3? Don't plan on it. Everyone I know who transferred is top 10%. That's pretty much the minimum to transfer.

SMU2013

New

Post by SMU2013 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 am

kalvano wrote:
profbarium wrote:
busted wrote:
profbarium wrote:Anyone else on this thread attempting to transfer into SMU in 2012? . . . I just finished 1L at Texas Wesleyan.
Unless you were near the top of the class (single digit percentile) don't even waste your time thinking about it.
Why do you say that? From what I understand, law schools aren't required to report stats for their transfers. Thus, they'd be more likely to let in "marginal" candidates. Or is that inconsistent from what you've heard?

Top 1/3? Don't plan on it. Everyone I know who transferred is top 10%. That's pretty much the minimum to transfer.
As a transfer I can say that unless you are transferring from a similarly ranked school top 10% is necessary to transfer.

profbarium

New

Post by profbarium » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Well, I got in: full-time J.D. program. A straight, white male, transferring from the top third of Texas Wesleyan Law. Go figure.

Pony up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:30 pm

profbarium wrote:Well, I got in: full-time J.D. program. A straight, white male, transferring from the top third of Texas Wesleyan Law. Go figure.

Pony up!
Awesome. Congrats and we'll see you in the Fall.

Any ideas what you want to/have to take?

profbarium

New

Post by profbarium » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:27 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:
profbarium wrote:Well, I got in: full-time J.D. program. A straight, white male, transferring from the top third of Texas Wesleyan Law. Go figure.

Pony up!
Awesome. Congrats and we'll see you in the Fall.

Any ideas what you want to/have to take?
Thanks so much! I really don't know what I'll be taking: I register at orientation. Which is the day before (August 16) classes start (August 17). I'm sure they'll tell me then.

hihowareyou

New

Post by hihowareyou » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:44 pm

still on the waitlist

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:50 pm

hihowareyou wrote:still on the waitlist
It's the first day of class already, so I can't imagine they'll be taking anyone else. They normally take one or two people after the first day of orientation, once they see who hasn't shown up, but I wouldn't count on hearing anything this late in the game. Sorry. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hihowareyou

New

Post by hihowareyou » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:52 pm

swilson215 wrote:
hihowareyou wrote:still on the waitlist
It's the first day of class already, so I can't imagine they'll be taking anyone else. They normally take one or two people after the first day of orientation, once they see who hasn't shown up, but I wouldn't count on hearing anything this late in the game. Sorry. :(
ha its all good, taking the year off anyways, should probably retake

annelise88

New

Post by annelise88 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 pm

How do pass/fail classes affect gpa?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:30 pm

annelise88 wrote:How do pass/fail classes affect gpa?
They don't, but you can't really take classes pass / fail. They have a 6-hour cap on P/F hours.

annelise88

New

Post by annelise88 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm

kalvano wrote:
They don't, but you can't really take classes pass / fail. They have a 6-hour cap on P/F hours.
Oh, ok. I'm doing an externship that's p/f, so I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks, Kal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm

annelise88 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Oh, ok. I'm doing an externship that's p/f, so I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks, Kal.
I did one in the spring. It will go towards your credit hours but not affect your GPA at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”