SMU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Titleist

Silver

Re: SMU 2012

Post by Titleist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Can anyone elaborate on switching from PT to FT? Pros-Cons?

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:20 am

UNTravis wrote:Can anyone elaborate on switching from PT to FT? Pros-Cons?
See my post in last year's SMU thread (in the middle of the post).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... e#p4154935

iahurricane

New

Post by iahurricane » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 pm

swilson215 wrote:I'm pretty much going to second what ClutchCity said about living expenses. There are some pretty expensive places around SMU and uptown, but there are also some pretty affordable apartments within a few minutes drive. You can find a 1BR within 5 - 10 minutes of campus for between $600 and $1000 (and up). I personally pay $800/mo + utilities, and I live directly across the street from campus. Usually you can get lunch on campus, and other expenses can be kept pretty low.

Remember, that 70K is an estimate...it's just the most that you can take out in loans -- you don't HAVE to take out that amount.
Apartment prices fluctuate a lot based on demand. If you can move here in April or May, you would be able to save a ton of money. The same 1 BR apartment that costs $1000 in July goes for 600's during typical non-moving months.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:39 am

Checking in.. Completed 11/8.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:41 pm

I just emailed to ask for a fee waiver, and regardless if I get on in the next 18 hours I will be applying. I feel like I have been putting off applying for a while for no good reason...well I do have a 164/3.05. LSN doesn't really help with my numbers, how does it look for me? One thing I like(but others may not) is that acceptances don't go out until Jan 31, at least according to LSN and TLS, does this mean I am not too late for a better shot at an acceptance/scholarship? Scholly would be a-mazing, I just don't know how a 164/Dec 5ish complete date will look. Kicking myself for waiting

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JTD21

New

Post by JTD21 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 pm

mattviphky wrote:I just emailed to ask for a fee waiver, and regardless if I get on in the next 18 hours I will be applying. I feel like I have been putting off applying for a while for no good reason...well I do have a 164/3.05. LSN doesn't really help with my numbers, how does it look for me? One thing I like(but others may not) is that acceptances don't go out until Jan 31, at least according to LSN and TLS, does this mean I am not too late for a better shot at an acceptance/scholarship? Scholly would be a-mazing, I just don't know how a 164/Dec 5ish complete date will look. Kicking myself for waiting
For what it's worth, I have very similar numbers to you and received a fee waiver from an email request. It took about a day. Also I spoke with SMU admissions at the Houston LSAC forum because of GPA concerns and she said that she likes to see at least a year of strong upward rise in GPA trend. I think that you have a good shot. SMU allows you to apply for full and part time as well if that's an option for you.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:17 pm

well i'm not really looking to do pt, and really a scholly is a deciding factor. I feel like I'm not applying late, but I'm nervous anyways

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:25 pm

mattviphky wrote: I feel like I'm not applying late, but I'm nervous anyways
I'm submitting once the LSAC receives my letters this week. I also feel nervous though. FT will be a stretch, but I'm pretty confident that I'll get in PT. I'd love to move to Dallas.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:58 pm

mattviphky wrote:well i'm not really looking to do pt, and really a scholly is a deciding factor. I feel like I'm not applying late, but I'm nervous anyways
pt is your best bet if you want money. medians for last cycles ft was 3.72 and 165 but pt was only 160 and 3.5

Your lsat gives you a real shot at pt money but not being above median really shoots you in the foot for ft money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Storm

New

Post by Storm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 am

If it is of consolation to anyone applying with borderline numbers, the number of LSAT takers fell 19% and 17% in June and October, respectively, as compared to last year. I have no idea if this will translate into lower medians, but it sure seems like it could.

http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/lsat ... stered.asp

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 am

Curious, SMU's website repeats "diversity" in their literature. I can only assume this means they want URMs, however, I also noticed that they claim the majority of applicants are from Texas. Could I write a diversity statement as an elementary school teacher--born and raised in Oregon--and actually have it mean something to the adcomms?

I guess the real question is, how does SMU define "diversity"?

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 pm

I think diversity to SMU means more than ethnic, socioeconomic, etc. diversity. I think it may account for diversity of experiences (elem. school teacher as well as geographic diversity may apply). That's just my guess.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm

mattviphky wrote:I just emailed to ask for a fee waiver, and regardless if I get on in the next 18 hours I will be applying. I feel like I have been putting off applying for a while for no good reason...well I do have a 164/3.05. LSN doesn't really help with my numbers, how does it look for me? One thing I like(but others may not) is that acceptances don't go out until Jan 31, at least according to LSN and TLS, does this mean I am not too late for a better shot at an acceptance/scholarship? Scholly would be a-mazing, I just don't know how a 164/Dec 5ish complete date will look. Kicking myself for waiting

The January 31st date is for people that applied EA. You missed that deadline, and could be waiting a while.

As far as numbers go, yours are OK. SMU seems to be trying to bump everything, and 165-66 seems to be the magic number now, but you are by no means out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 pm

nickjive wrote:Curious, SMU's website repeats "diversity" in their literature. I can only assume this means they want URMs, however, I also noticed that they claim the majority of applicants are from Texas. Could I write a diversity statement as an elementary school teacher--born and raised in Oregon--and actually have it mean something to the adcomms?

It won't help that much. At most, it will be a tie-breaker.

SMU defines "diversity" the way all the other law schools do. SMU has mostly Texas applicants since it's a regional school for Dallas.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Just submitted!
kalvano wrote:
nickjive wrote:Curious, SMU's website repeats "diversity" in their literature. I can only assume this means they want URMs, however, I also noticed that they claim the majority of applicants are from Texas. Could I write a diversity statement as an elementary school teacher--born and raised in Oregon--and actually have it mean something to the adcomms?

It won't help that much. At most, it will be a tie-breaker.

SMU defines "diversity" the way all the other law schools do. SMU has mostly Texas applicants since it's a regional school for Dallas.
yeah i filled one out too. They were really broad in terms of the essay, so i just highlighted military exp. I know for practical purposes it won't make much of a difference, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Storm

New

Post by Storm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with SMU, but we're not going to be hearing back from them for a while anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00eZtsuJ9M

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:08 am

Would any 2Ls or 3Ls be willing to talk about job prospects for the top 25% and for those below the top 25%?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Would any 2Ls or 3Ls be willing to talk about job prospects for the top 25% and for those below the top 25%?
What do you want to know?

Don't be below top 25% is the best advice I've got. It's a pretty big dividing line.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:Would any 2Ls or 3Ls be willing to talk about job prospects for the top 25% and for those below the top 25%?

Don't be below top 25% is the best advice I've got. It's a pretty big dividing line.
What happens if you are below top 25?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's not like the world implodes but it becomes significantly more difficult to find paid summer work. You can pretty much rule out Biglaw if you aren't top 10%, and below top 25% won't get you a look from smaller, more local firms that come to OCI.

At that point, it becomes up to you. Career Services will be largely useless, and you'll have to bust ass to find something, though it is possible.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:15 am

kalvano wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's not like the world implodes but it becomes significantly more difficult to find paid summer work. You can pretty much rule out Biglaw if you aren't top 10%, and below top 25% won't get you a look from smaller, more local firms that come to OCI.

At that point, it becomes up to you. Career Services will be largely useless, and you'll have to bust ass to find something, though it is possible.
So, is it like: letter campaign and most people find something okay?
Or is it more like: letter campaign is a waste and go beg for your old job back?
Are there any grads who did not finish top 25% who can describe what they went through?
Am I getting too off topic for this thread?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:39 am

It's like mass mail, and at that point it's up to you. I don't know how many people have something off that, or even how many people have tried or started. A lot of smaller firms aren't even looking at hiring yet.

It's too early to tell, really. But are you asking for summer work or for real work after you graduate? For real work, SMU still has a great name in Dallas and you'll find something.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:16 am

I wouldn't say you have to be top 10% to get big law, but it certainly becomes about you as a law student as to whether you can pull that off. Most of the 2Ls I've heard of who have had success with biggish to big size firms outside of the top quarter are interesting people, good interviewers, or have interesting backgrounds.

I think outside of OCI it becomes about you hustling to get a job. It's putting yourself in front of people, be it through mailings, going to CLE lunches and meeting attorneys in practice areas you are interested in, etc. It won't just fall in your lap outside of OCI but thats not to say that you can't find a good gig outside the top quarter or even the top half. It really becomes like any normal job search and you get out what you put in.

Our Career Services office is actually really helpful if you take the initiative to ask them to help you. They have been really instrumental thus far for me.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 am

fathergoose wrote:I wouldn't say you have to be top 10% to get big law, but it certainly becomes about you as a law student as to whether you can pull that off. Most of the 2Ls I've heard of who have had success with biggish to big size firms outside of the top quarter are interesting people, good interviewers, or have interesting backgrounds.

I think outside of OCI it becomes about you hustling to get a job. It's putting yourself in front of people, be it through mailings, going to CLE lunches and meeting attorneys in practice areas you are interested in, etc. It won't just fall in your lap outside of OCI but thats not to say that you can't find a good gig outside the top quarter or even the top half. It really becomes like any normal job search and you get out what you put in.

Our Career Services office is actually really helpful if you take the initiative to ask them to help you. They have been really instrumental thus far for me.
Awesome, thanks to both of you

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:53 am

fathergoose wrote:I wouldn't say you have to be top 10% to get big law, but it certainly becomes about you as a law student as to whether you can pull that off. Most of the 2Ls I've heard of who have had success with biggish to big size firms outside of the top quarter are interesting people, good interviewers, or have interesting backgrounds.

This...from an employed graduate who ended up right outside top 25%

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”