SMU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paul34

Bronze

Re: SMU 2012

Post by paul34 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm in.

Question about the optional essay. From what I read on the application, it is required to be considered for a merit scholarship. Does that mean no optional essay = no chance at scholly money (other than need based, for which I doubt I'd qualify)?

Reason I ask is because the things they ask for are already pretty much covered in my personal statement, I think.

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm

I filled out my app a while ago, but I feel like there was an optional essay for a few particular merit scholarships, like one for disadvantaged students or something. I don't think there was one you had to write to be considered for merit scholarships, period.

Maye

Bronze

Post by Maye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Applying! Good luck guys

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Is anyone else doing the optional scholarship essay (under "optional question" under attachments)?

edit: turns out that everyone is considered for the academic scholarship so long as one applies by the regular decision deadline. However, if you wish for additional consideration based on the extra factors, you'll have to complete the optional question. Found this on the website:

http://www.law.smu.edu/Prospective-Stud ... ships.aspx
A number of full and partial scholarships are awarded to entering first-year students. The Financial Aid Committee endeavors to use the available funds to attract students who will enhance the SMU Dedman School of Law with their academic achievement and potential and life experiences.

Applications completed by the regular decision deadline will automatically be considered for academic scholarships. Scholarships for full-time students typically are awarded on the basis of an outstanding undergraduate record and a strong performance on the LSAT. Scholarships are awarded to evening students on the basis of an outstanding record of academic, career, and/or other achievements.

In addition, because we believe that a broad spectrum of viewpoints enhances our educational environment, we also award academic scholarships to any student whose experiences, accomplishments, or background suggest that his or her perspective will enhance or diversify the learning atmosphere at SMU. To be considered for an academic scholarship that is awarded on the basis of your experiences, accomplishments or background, you must complete Optional Admissions Question 15 on the Application for Admission. If you are awarded an academic scholarship, we will notify you shortly after you have been admitted.
That makes sense.

And yes, the Why SMU question is definitely important, although I wonder how good it has to be. From what I've read, something basic will do fine.
Last edited by paul34 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ClutchCity24

New

Post by ClutchCity24 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Make sure to write the Why SMU paragraph. Take it serious because SMU admissions takes it very serious.

And yes it does not have to be something spectacular. Just make it clear you want to go to school at SMU.

Also the BSG avatar is great. We need more fans here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 pm

ClutchCity24 wrote:Make sure to write the Why SMU paragraph. Take it serious because SMU admissions takes it very serious.

And yes it does not have to be something spectacular. Just make it clear you want to go to school at SMU.
+1. I felt like mine was pretty crappy, but I did it, and I know that it made a difference. DO IT.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm

If you're stuck on what to write in a "Why SMU", it probably can't hurt to talk about how incredibly wonderfully amazingly awesome you think Dean Attanasio is, how you've heard that SMU has a lot of Fortune 50 CEO's, and you just want to be graced by the presence of Attansio, as it will complete you.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 am

kalvano wrote:If you're stuck on what to write in a "Why SMU", it probably can't hurt to talk about how incredibly wonderfully amazingly awesome you think Dean Attanasio is, how you've heard that SMU has a lot of Fortune 50 CEO's, and you just want to be graced by the presence of Attansio, as it will complete you.
And that SMU is just as good as, if not better than, Harvard.

fountino

New

Post by fountino » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Flew out last week for a visit and had a great time. All of the admission people I spoke with were helpful. They told me that the Why SMU essay helps them to screen out people who are applying just because their numbers are in line with SMU and those who legitimately want to be there. Hope to have my app submitted by end of the week. I hope they are content to hold their median at 165 and not push for 166...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 pm

What do you guys think about the prospect of living in Dallas?

I'm hoping for merit at SMU as a splitter (170 LSAT/3.28 GPA)... I hope they continue to care more about LSAT (if not, I might not get in at all!) :?

I haven't submitted apps yet since I'm still waiting on LORs.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:06 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:What do you guys think about the prospect of living in Dallas?

I'm hoping for merit at SMU as a splitter (170 LSAT/3.28 GPA)... I hope they continue to care more about LSAT (if not, I might not get in at all!) :?

I'm sure you'll get in, judging by LSN, with money. I definitely wouldn't worry with stats like that! I visited Dallas (city and suburbs) a few months ago. I really liked the place. Of course, I guess whether you'll like ti depends on where you lived before what kind of place you like to live in. It is quite hot during the summer, though. If you really hate the heat it might not work out, but then again, it's not like you'll be spending a lot of time outdoors anyway (unless you choose to).

icecold3000

Bronze

Post by icecold3000 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 am

Thinking about applying. Did everyone do the supplemental essay?

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 am

I didn't notice a supplemental essay. All I noticed was a required "Why SMU" paragraph. I wrote "why not?" and submitted. What supplemental essay are y'all talking about?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 pm

sarahmargie wrote:I didn't notice a supplemental essay. All I noticed was a required "Why SMU" paragraph. I wrote "why not?" and submitted. What supplemental essay are y'all talking about?
Optional Question. Assuming we all have the same application layout, it should be right below "Why SMU" and above "Character and Fitness" under the Attachments section.

Anyway, I did not write it. I hope that doesn't screw me. I really want to get into SMU (with money, preferably)! I probably won't submit until my LSAT score comes through, though. So I still have some time in case someone wants to try to change my mind.

edit 2: just read this.

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/should- ... nal-essay/

It helps to confirm my decision not to write the optional essay.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:45 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:What do you guys think about the prospect of living in Dallas?

I think you should be in with $$, especially if you applied this early. As far as Dallas goes, I actually am REALLY enjoying Dallas as a city. There's lots to do on the weekends, which is great if you need a break and not-so-great if you're stuck in the library longing to be out doing something else. There's really something for everyone here. FYI, I moved here from California (born and raised there, did my undergrad in Ohio, moved back to CA). PM if you want more information about SMU or Dallas -- I'm a 1L now.

AgLaw

New

Post by AgLaw » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:34 am

Did all of you submit letters of recommendation?

I would ask for LOR's from my current employer, but I don't have my LSAT scores yet (October) and ideally I would like to see how well I did before I ask my bosses for a recommendation to change careers... I would like to apply early, but will wait if you all think I should get my recommendation letters!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 am

It can take a while before your LOR's get processed. You should get on that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zx92027xz

New

Post by zx92027xz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 am

AgLaw wrote:Did all of you submit letters of recommendation?

I would ask for LOR's from my current employer, but I don't have my LSAT scores yet (October) and ideally I would like to see how well I did before I ask my bosses for a recommendation to change careers... I would like to apply early, but will wait if you all think I should get my recommendation letters!
The guy above me is right, but it can go a lot faster if you have the recommender fax the recommendations in. Call the LSAC to ask for the fax number and it will be processed in < 3 days

AgLaw

New

Post by AgLaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 am

On the LSAC application it said LOR's are optional but you can send up to three, I am assuming by the responses that I should send in LOR's... so reckon I'll get on that!

Thanks! :D

mlh1988

New

Post by mlh1988 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:39 am

Throwing my hat into the ring! It seems we will be waiting a while until the first round of decisions. Good luck to everyone. I'm looking forward to visiting the campus soon and taking a look around.

Texan1989

New

Post by Texan1989 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:01 am

Last edited by Texan1989 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

revival2005

New

Post by revival2005 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:57 am

I’m here. This is going to be a long wait!

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 am

Hey guys, question about the "Why SMU?" paper.

One of the many reasons I want to end up in Dallas is that my grandparents lives there and my grandmother has Alzheimer that is rapidly deteriorating, and she probably only has 3-4 years left on this earth. They have very little family in the area, and while I certainly won't be able to take care of them full-time while in law school, I will be able to help them a lot more than I currently can from Houston, and of course spend more of what little time she has left with them.

Is this the sort of thing worth mentioning, or better left out, of the "Why SMU?" paragraph? I don't want to derail the paragraph with a story, but this is a big factor in me trying to break into the Dallas area.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Submitted a few days ago via ED. For some reason I'm now suddenly nervous that ED is binding. Someone please tell me it is non-binding...
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:22 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Submitted a few days ago via ED 166 3.89. For some reason I'm now suddenly nervous that ED is binding. Someone please tell me it is non-binding...

It's definitely non-binding.

I copied and pasted this from the email they sent me:

Your application to SMU Dedman School of Law is complete. As you have met our early decision deadline, a non-binding decision letter will be mailed at the end of January.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”