Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sdwhodat

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby sdwhodat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Well that was a bit anti-climatic. The interview lasted about four and half minutes and half of that was her explaining how the law clinics at Harvard would give me great experience for what I want to do with my degree...

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:56 pm

sdwhodat wrote:Well that was a bit anti-climatic. The interview lasted about four and half minutes and half of that was her explaining how the law clinics at Harvard would give me great experience for what I want to do with my degree...

What questions did she ask?

She's probably near the end of her day, busting these things out. I think they are already leaning one way on alot of these...I got that sense anyway.

sdwhodat

Postby sdwhodat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:01 pm

MumofCad wrote:
sdwhodat wrote:Well that was a bit anti-climatic. The interview lasted about four and half minutes and half of that was her explaining how the law clinics at Harvard would give me great experience for what I want to do with my degree...

She's probably near the end of her day, busting these things out. I think they are already leaning one way on alot of these...I got that sense anyway.

She asked me what I have been doing and why I want to pursue law school. I'm hoping that since she was extolling the virtues of Harvard Law and how it would help me, that means they are leaning towards admitting me.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 pm

I must have been really chatty, mine lasted 9 minutes.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:08 pm

sdwhodat wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

She asked me what I have been doing and why I want to pursue law school. I'm hoping that since she was extolling the virtues of Harvard Law and how it would help me, that means they are leaning towards admitting me.

You must have been seriously efficient with why law. My response to what I'd been doing was short, but I went into detail on why law. I didn't time it, but who knows. Hopefully, we won't have to wait long or speculate too much before we get answers. I mean the blog did say that sometimes they already are basically decided and sometimes they are really wondering.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
roguewave19 wrote:I've been eagerly checking my email for a KB1 and JUST got my complete email even though I've been UR since 11/2.

Does this mean I'll have to wait a lot longer for a KB1?

+1
and I got so excited when I saw the "from" address...
The email says, "As of today, your application is complete," and I've been UR since late Oct. Anyone know what this means?

this happened to me...i ws under review for like 3 wks and then i got the app complete email....3 days after this i got my kb1 invite...idk what this is, but for me at least...the app complete email almost immedialty led to the kb1 email...so who knows..

Submitted 10/27, went UR 11/2, and just got a complete email on 11/10. Here's to hoping the complete email leads to the KB1.

I would assume the only way to know if it bears any significance would be to figure out if anyone who got the complete e-mail prior to the last round of KB emails did not get a KB1 yet. Or, if anyone who had a KB1 didn't get that email.

Schola

Postby Schola » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Mine lasted over 12 minutes, which I was a bit surprised to learn when I hung up and looked at my phone. I didn't feel that good about the interview. In fact, I was a bit disappointed. The night before I had rehearsed w/ my wife who, being mischievous and someone who actually has to interview and hire people in her job, had fun interrogating my answers w/ quite pointed questions, trying to put me on the defensive. And even that mock interview went better than my actual interview w/ KB, who was eminently reasonable and nice. I almost feel as if the 12 minute interview is an indication that I did something wrong. I'm also not sure it was a good idea to ask some pointed questions about Harvard itself, since KB spent about half the interview clearing up my "common misconceptions" about Harvard. Either they made me seem thoughtful and discerning, or ignorant. But I did honestly want to know the answers... Oh well.

Edit: To explain more fully, I expected to get the question "Why Harvard," for which I had a very specific, detailed answer, since I had a long conversation w/ a friend in my grad program who graduated recently from HLS in preparation. Then, after showing that I was really interested in HLS, I would show that I had a couple honest but "difficult" questions. But since the "Why Harvard" question never came up, and I never got to showcase all of the reasons I am excited about HLS, I think KB might have come away thinking that I was someone who was simply worried that he isn't a good fit.
Last edited by Schola on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Schola wrote:Mine lasted over 12 minutes, which I was a bit surprised to learn when I hung up and looked at my phone. I didn't feel that good about the interview. In fact, I was a bit disappointed. The night before I had rehearsed w/ my wife who, being mischievous and someone who actually has to interview and hire people in her job, had fun interrogating my answers w/ quite pointed questions, trying to put me on the defensive. And even that mock interview went better than my actual interview w/ KB, who was eminently reasonable and nice. I almost feel as if the 12 minute interview is an indication that I did something wrong. I'm also not sure it was a good idea to ask some pointed questions about Harvard itself, since KB spent about half the interview clearing up my "common misconceptions" about Harvard. Either they made me seem thoughtful and discerning, or ignorant. But I did honestly want to know the answers... Oh well.

Edit: To explain more fully, I expected to get the question "Why Harvard," for which I had a very specific, detailed answer, since I had a long conversation w/ a friend who graduated recently from HLS in preparation. Then, after showing that I was really interested in HLS, I would show that I had a couple honest but "difficult" questions. But since the "Why Harvard" question never came up, and I never got to showcase all of the reasons I am excited about HLS, I think KB might have come away thinking that I was someone who was simply worried that he isn't a good fit.

Aww, I'm sure it wasn't so bad. What questions did you get, if not Why H?

edit: Also, what questions did you ask?

Schola

Postby Schola » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:30 pm

kulshan wrote:
Schola wrote:Mine lasted over 12 minutes, which I was a bit surprised to learn when I hung up and looked at my phone. I didn't feel that good about the interview. In fact, I was a bit disappointed. The night before I had rehearsed w/ my wife who, being mischievous and someone who actually has to interview and hire people in her job, had fun interrogating my answers w/ quite pointed questions, trying to put me on the defensive. And even that mock interview went better than my actual interview w/ KB, who was eminently reasonable and nice. I almost feel as if the 12 minute interview is an indication that I did something wrong. I'm also not sure it was a good idea to ask some pointed questions about Harvard itself, since KB spent about half the interview clearing up my "common misconceptions" about Harvard. Either they made me seem thoughtful and discerning, or ignorant. But I did honestly want to know the answers... Oh well.

Edit: To explain more fully, I expected to get the question "Why Harvard," for which I had a very specific, detailed answer, since I had a long conversation w/ a friend who graduated recently from HLS in preparation. Then, after showing that I was really interested in HLS, I would show that I had a couple honest but "difficult" questions. But since the "Why Harvard" question never came up, and I never got to showcase all of the reasons I am excited about HLS, I think KB might have come away thinking that I was someone who was simply worried that he isn't a good fit.

Aww, I'm sure it wasn't so bad. What questions did you get, if not Why H?

edit: Also, what questions did you ask?

If you want to know what questions I asked, I can PM you since I don't want to make my identity TOOOO obvious. After about 30 seconds of small chat I got, "What have you been up to," the answer to which she honestly seemed uninterested, then "Why Law," and finally, "What do you want to study in law." The last one threw me off a bit b/c I have interests, which I stated, but I firmly believe in the value of having a breath of knowledge of a subject, so I am actually someone who looks forward to taking a wide array of classes b/c I think they will make me a better lawyer. I said this, and she seemed to think it was reasonable, but it also might have come off as a cop-out.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Well I mean they could also be YPing you since your numbers are really high. Did you write Why M/V? Either way, I think you're in good shape and you should be fine! It's far too early to start worrying! Although I may be a bit of a hypocrite because I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm never getting Harvard. I have multiple LSAT scores too, so it was probably an impossible dream.

Well I'm hoping it's just YPing...I didn't write an M/V, because honestly, I DON'T' want to go there and applied because I thought of them as "safeties". In retrospect that was a poor decision, as I'm really beginning to like both M and V a lot in terms of culture and environment and whatnot.

And you're right that it's still early, but I was hoping and hoping this would be over with before thanksgiving so I can have a restful break...now it looks like I'll be checking my email no matter where I am over the holiday.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm am sure this is not the case! If you want, you could always ask people to look over your PS to alleviate your worries and if mistakes are found, you could email an updated copy. All the schools allow this.

I don't think it's in the content of my PS--I've had that checked again and again and again. I think it's either the TOPIC of the PS (which might potentially be offensive/off-putting, but I wrote it for the unusual factor because I imagined that might help with reaches) OR something else with the application, for example, if I didn't fill out a specific section in the specific order they wanted or something...

m3taphysician

Postby m3taphysician » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Curious1 wrote:
I'm am sure this is not the case! If you want, you could always ask people to look over your PS to alleviate your worries and if mistakes are found, you could email an updated copy. All the schools allow this.

I don't think it's in the content of my PS--I've had that checked again and again and again. I think it's either the TOPIC of the PS (which might potentially be offensive/off-putting, but I wrote it for the unusual factor because I imagined that might help with reaches) OR something else with the application, for example, if I didn't fill out a specific section in the specific order they wanted or something...

I imagine that this (the bolded) should not be much of a concern for someone with your number profile. I figure that if you're an otherwise very strong candidate, a small error on your application form would have essentially no effect on your candidacy (unless you absolutely butchered the application form). Then again, maybe I'm just writing this to cope with my own worries about exactly this same issue.

sdwhodat

Postby sdwhodat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 pm

MumofCad wrote:
sdwhodat wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

You must have been seriously efficient with why law. My response to what I'd been doing was short, but I went into detail on why law. I didn't time it, but who knows. Hopefully, we won't have to wait long or speculate too much before we get answers. I mean the blog did say that sometimes they already are basically decided and sometimes they are really wondering.

Well, I want to be a defense attorney because I know there are flaw in the justice system from my past studies. I told her the moment I first decided I wanted to pursue this path and how things just have been piling on top of each other since then. ::shrug:: My personal statement went into why law as well, and she mentioned that and just wanted me to expound upon it. I was surprised she didn't ask why Harvard as I know others received that question. She only asked those two questions though.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:58 pm

m3taphysician wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

I imagine that this (the bolded) should not be much of a concern for someone with your number profile. I figure that if you're an otherwise very strong candidate, a small error on your application form would have essentially no effect on your candidacy (unless you absolutely butchered the application form). Then again, maybe I'm just writing this to cope with my own worries about exactly this same issue.

Here in lies the problem of TLS anxiety: they put hardly any emphasis on PS (we think) but when things take 12 hours too long we freak out that some minor detail on the application form is going to delay our app/stop us from getting in. I have a feeling even if you did make some mistake in ordering/listing on the application form it would have little to no effect on your file.

m3taphysician

Postby m3taphysician » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:04 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
m3taphysician wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

Here in lies the problem of TLS anxiety: they put hardly any emphasis on PS (we think) but when things take 12 hours too long we freak out that some minor detail on the application form is going to delay our app/stop us from getting in. I have a feeling even if you did make some mistake in ordering/listing on the application form it would have little to no effect on your file.

I completely agree.

I used to think I was neurotic, then I found TLS.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:06 pm

m3taphysician wrote:

At one point during an application freak-out my girlfriend actually said to me, "you need to get off that forum with all those crazy people". With TLS you take the good and you take the bad :)

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm

during my interview kb actually said "i really enjoyed reading ur ps"...and then she proceeded to ask me a question about it....

so...if i do get waitlisted or turned down...we will have a definitive answer of how much a ps is worth :lol:

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm

thederangedwang wrote:during my interview kb actually said "i really enjoyed reading ur ps"...and then she proceeded to ask me a question about it....

so...if i do get waitlisted or turned down...we will have a definitive answer of how much a ps is worth :lol:

Interesting that you all had chit-chat stuff. I felt like mine was very much just busting it out. Hard to explain. Nothing specific to me was asked.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:29 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
m3taphysician wrote:

At one point during an application freak-out my girlfriend actually said to me, "you need to get off that forum with all those crazy people". With TLS you take the good and you take the bad :)

+1

This happens to me all the time.

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:21 pm

MumofCad wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:during my interview kb actually said "i really enjoyed reading ur ps"...and then she proceeded to ask me a question about it....

Interesting that you all had chit-chat stuff. I felt like mine was very much just busting it out. Hard to explain. Nothing specific to me was asked.

Yeah she didn't say anything specific to me either. I was kinda hoping she would....

She didn't specifically ask me "why Harvard" either, but I brought it up myself by tying it in to an answer she gave to one of my questions.

I really hope we hear back by Thanksgiving to help end the anxiety! I think I'd be even more disappointed now if I didn't get in than if I didn't have the KB1, because before I thought my chances were relatively low and now I have my hopes up a bit.

PleaseHarvardIloveyou :)

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:28 am

Hey all, have been semi-lurking for a bit but now would love some input.

In a nutshell: 3.8 from a lower-ranked Ivy, 179 (on 2nd take). Serving as a sharpshooter in the IDF. Submitted in late September, been complete for a while. The calculators give me a good shot but I'm just not sure how much faith to put in them with a place like Harvard.

I can't check my email or this forum all that often; at the moment I'm home for a few days on furlough, and a little disappointed with an empty inbox.

Basically, I want H so bad it's got to be unhealthy, and I'm not sure how bummed out to be about this. Is the consensus that those who miss the first few waves of interviews are in trouble? Not sure what to think at this point, and of course going a few weeks at a time w/out email access makes it a little more difficult to follow along as well. Thanks for any thoughts, cheers.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:43 am

Thank God I have not convinced myself that I have a real shot at Harvard. I'm more concerned about Columbia.

You guys sound neurotic :D.

sdwhodat

Postby sdwhodat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:04 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:Hey all, have been semi-lurking for a bit but now would love some input.

In a nutshell: 3.8 from a lower-ranked Ivy, 179 (on 2nd take). Serving as a sharpshooter in the IDF. Submitted in late September, been complete for a while. The calculators give me a good shot but I'm just not sure how much faith to put in them with a place like Harvard.

I can't check my email or this forum all that often; at the moment I'm home for a few days on furlough, and a little disappointed with an empty inbox.

Basically, I want H so bad it's got to be unhealthy, and I'm not sure how bummed out to be about this. Is the consensus that those who miss the first few waves of interviews are in trouble? Not sure what to think at this point, and of course going a few weeks at a time w/out email access makes it a little more difficult to follow along as well. Thanks for any thoughts, cheers.

Dude, I would seriously NOT sweat it. This forum will make you crazy if you let it get to you. If you haven't heard by February, then you can worry, but until then you have plenty of time. These people have to weed through thousands of applications. That takes time.

That beings said, if you are away from e-mail/phone access, I would drop a call/e-mail to the admissions office and have them make note of that on your file. I only had three days notice on my interview, and if you can't check your e-mail often, you may miss it. I'm sure they'll understand.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:38 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:Hey all, have been semi-lurking for a bit but now would love some input.

3.8/179. You think you can probably relax just a wee-bit.

Schola

Postby Schola » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:27 am

FryBreadPower wrote:

3.8/179. You think you can probably relax just a wee-bit.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry at all until a good way into the new year. If you go through LSN last year you will see that people w/ your numbers almost always get in, and those who don't seem to get rejected at a number of schools, which suggests they made a serious mistake in their application or have some incident in their past that would indicate a real character flaw.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”