Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
aperfectmap
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby aperfectmap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 pm

kulshan wrote:
annyong wrote:Anyways, do those of you who've had your interviews already have any advice for those of us who will have ours this week and next? I know the questions are pretty standard, but any collected wisdom would be much appreciated!


I would say just give some genuine thought to the questions she's been asking, find a relatively quiet place to wait for the call, and be yourself!


Quiet, like the middle of my 7th grade math class at the end of the day. She seemed apologetic about interrupting my lesson on converting word phrases to multi-step equations.

That's what they get for not specifying whether they were going to call on Eastern time or Mountain.

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby spek » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:17 pm

bok92 wrote:what kind of answers do you guys come up with for "why law"?


I'm having a bit of trouble with this as well. Don't want my answer to seem shallow or overly contrived.

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby kulshan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 pm

aperfectmap wrote:Quiet, like the middle of my 7th grade math class at the end of the day. She seemed apologetic about interrupting my lesson on converting word phrases to multi-step equations.

That's what they get for not specifying whether they were going to call on Eastern time or Mountain.


Ha! At least being in the middle of things probably kept you from being too nervous in the run-up to the call. I'm also in Mountain time, and it didn't occur to me that the call was scheduled for Eastern time until the day before. I had to be on campus, so I found a back hallway area that turned out to be a very popular place for making and taking phone calls. When I started my call, a couple of other people left. Maybe I was talking really loud :S.

User avatar
aperfectmap
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby aperfectmap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 pm

kulshan wrote:
aperfectmap wrote:Quiet, like the middle of my 7th grade math class at the end of the day. She seemed apologetic about interrupting my lesson on converting word phrases to multi-step equations.

That's what they get for not specifying whether they were going to call on Eastern time or Mountain.


Ha! At least being in the middle of things probably kept you from being too nervous in the run-up to the call. I'm also in Mountain time, and it didn't occur to me that the call was scheduled for Eastern time until the day before. I had to be on campus, so I found a back hallway area that turned out to be a very popular place for making and taking phone calls. When I started my call, a couple of other people left. Maybe I was talking really loud :S.


I was considering telling my kids, "If Mr. Aperfectmap runs out of the room like a madman halfway through class, don't worry," but settled for telling them that I had an important call to take. Luckily, they didn't ask questions about it because they don't know I'm leaving at the end of the year, and it didn't seem like a good time to bring it up.

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am

aperfectmap wrote:I was considering telling my kids, "If Mr. Aperfectmap runs out of the room like a madman halfway through class, don't worry," but settled for telling them that I had an important call to take. Luckily, they didn't ask questions about it because they don't know I'm leaving at the end of the year, and it didn't seem like a good time to bring it up.


Haha, yeah, I've considered keeping my phone out later in the semester when calls might be coming in. I only have to teach 2 hours per week, though, so the chances that the call comes while I'm teaching are pretty small.

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby LaCumparsita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:16 am

This is encouraging! *knocks profusely on wood* From the Assistant Dean's corner, 2010:

"For those of you unfamiliar with this, one requirement for admission to Harvard Law is that you have a short phone interview with me. In addition to giving me the pleasure of getting to know you a little bit, the interview is a great opportunity for me to learn something about you that I might not pick up from your application.

Everyone invited to interview is a pretty strong candidate; generally, an invitation to interview means that you have a good chance of admission. Now that doesn’t mean that the interview is dispositive, because we’re interviewing a wide range of candidates. In some cases we have a really strong evaluation of your candidacy and the interview is more about making sure you’ll be a good fit for HLS; in other cases the committee may be a bit more uncertain of where you stand or we may have a specific question about something on your application. The interview gives me another chance to get a sense of what you can add to the class.

It’s a pretty straightforward conversation, and to a large extent I give out the questions ahead of time. So there shouldn’t be any surprises. Being somewhat prepared is critical – I’m a little bit shocked if you can’t articulate why you’re interested in coming to law school. In general though, if you do a little homework, come prepared, and honestly convey why you’re interested in law school and Harvard Law, you’re likely to have a good interview."

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby planeride » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

More KB1s today please! 8)

User avatar
igelchen
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby igelchen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

I asked if she thought the drop in LSATs administered will impact H's admissions, and she said she doesn't think it'll change the top-end at all, still plenty of qualified candidates-- such as all of yourselves. :>

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm

igelchen wrote:KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

I asked if she thought the drop in LSATs administered will impact H's admissions, and she said she doesn't think it'll change the top-end at all, still plenty of qualified candidates-- such as all of yourselves. :>


lol @ you actually asking.

Anyway, checking in (as if I have a chance). Feel arrogant.

User avatar
instantwonton
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby instantwonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
igelchen wrote:KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

I asked if she thought the drop in LSATs administered will impact H's admissions, and she said she doesn't think it'll change the top-end at all, still plenty of qualified candidates-- such as all of yourselves. :>


lol @ you actually asking.

Anyway, checking in (as if I have a chance). Feel arrogant.


Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

(I hope I didn't screw mine up with all my nervous laughter lol)
Same questions everyone else has been saying... Mine was like exactly 8 mins long. Now the big wait starts.... Eep!!!! :/ :)

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm

instantwonton wrote:Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

(I hope I didn't screw mine up with all my nervous laughter lol)
Same questions everyone else has been saying... Mine was like exactly 8 mins long. Now the big wait starts.... Eep!!!! :/ :)


Why would you mislead me like this? ..

(also, are you a URM? survived the holocaust, etc?)

User avatar
instantwonton
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby instantwonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
instantwonton wrote:Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

(I hope I didn't screw mine up with all my nervous laughter lol)
Same questions everyone else has been saying... Mine was like exactly 8 mins long. Now the big wait starts.... Eep!!!! :/ :)


Why would you mislead me like this? ..

(also, are you a URM? survived the holocaust, etc?)


Lol... Nope! Nothing like that at all! 2 yrs of solid work experience is my best soft... I'll keep you updated on if I actually get in or not :p.... But hopefully you'll have tour kb1 by then too!

User avatar
instantwonton
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby instantwonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:04 pm

instantwonton wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
instantwonton wrote:Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

(I hope I didn't screw mine up with all my nervous laughter lol)
Same questions everyone else has been saying... Mine was like exactly 8 mins long. Now the big wait starts.... Eep!!!! :/ :)


Why would you mislead me like this? ..

(also, are you a URM? survived the holocaust, etc?)


Lol... Nope! Nothing like that at all! 2 yrs of solid work experience is my best soft... I'll keep you updated on if I actually get in or not :p.... But hopefully you'll have tour kb1 by then too!


Your I mean... Not tour haha... Stupid iPhone!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm

instantwonton wrote:Lol... Nope! Nothing like that at all! 2 yrs of solid work experience is my best soft... I'll keep you updated on if I actually get in or not :p.... But hopefully you'll have tour kb1 by then too!



Thank youuu<33

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 pm

igelchen wrote:KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

I asked if she thought the drop in LSATs administered will impact H's admissions, and she said she doesn't think it'll change the top-end at all, still plenty of qualified candidates-- such as all of yourselves. :>


Interesting. I hope she's wrong lol.

Anyone get a KB1 today?

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 pm

for those who did or gonna do their kb1's...u guys arent gonna send a thank u email right? seems kinda pointless considering the email address is the general harvard law address....

bleylaw
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby bleylaw » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:37 pm

its okay to say were not exactly sure what kind of law right? dont they want us to like learn from them or something like that? especially if only an ug?

starr3287
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby starr3287 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Is anyone who received a KB1 so far planning on sending a "thank you" email? Is that overkill?

Thanks!

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:52 pm

I wasn't planning on it.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone sending a thank you email....

User avatar
dean159
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby dean159 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Just had my KB1. It was really very relaxed and seemed like it was over pretty quickly. My questions were similar to everyone elses. What are you doing lately, why law and what areas of law are you particularly interested in.

Good luck to everyone else.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Got my application in late last week; any one know how long it usually takes to get your KB1? (assuming that you do, in fact, get the KB1?)

User avatar
snailio
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby snailio » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:32 pm

bleylaw wrote:its okay to say were not exactly sure what kind of law right? dont they want us to like learn from them or something like that? especially if only an ug?



It's ok if you don't tell them you want specialize in municipal finance law, but you should have a general idea of why you want to go to law school, rather than iunno.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 pm

The question of what kind of law you want to go into will come up again in job interviews. I'm not sure about the advice for the KB1, but I've heard the general idea of interviews is to get specific if you can really back it up, otherwise state that you're open to learning.

Illustrative examples:
If you majored in econ/finance in undergrad, worked in wall-street for a couple years at, say, Goldman, and are now in law school, it makes sense to say "Corporate".
Or, if you majored in computer science, worked at, say, Google, and are now in law school, it makes sense to say "Intellectual Property."
If you are straight from undergrad with a liberal arts major like anthropology, it is probably nonsensical to say "Patent Law."

Use your best judgment.

m3taphysician
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby m3taphysician » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:The question of what kind of law you want to go into will come up again in job interviews. I'm not sure about the advice for the KB1, but I've heard the general idea of interviews is to get specific if you can really back it up, otherwise state that you're open to learning.

Illustrative examples:
If you majored in econ/finance in undergrad, worked in wall-street for a couple years at, say, Goldman, and are now in law school, it makes sense to say "Corporate".
Or, if you majored in computer science, worked at, say, Google, and are now in law school, it makes sense to say "Intellectual Property."
If you are straight from undergrad with a liberal arts major like anthropology, it is probably nonsensical to say "Patent Law."

Use your best judgment.

Good to know. Thanks a lot!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests