Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sn20

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby sn20 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:-Emails for JR1s are on a fairly random timeline. (As in you might get your email two weeks after somebody else who submitted the same date or a person who submitted later might get one earlier).

This is good news.

+1

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Popping in before bed - I have to say, I think there is alot of over analysis of things that are probably meaningless. IMO We should all just take a step back, enjoy the great football games or fall weather or what not going on this weekend.

Anyhow, I got a little perspective from a friend at HLS today who happened to ask how my trip was going. I mentioned it'd be better if I weren't having to rush around trying to get internet access to check to see if I get an email from Harvard. She started laughing at me! I told her I didn't see what was funny in the situation...turns out she thought I was joking. She applied in early Oct last year and didn't hear a thing from H until almost May - MAY. She said, "isn't that normal?" Aww....the beauty of no TLS. She went blithely along with her daily routine, waiting for 7 months until she found out she was in. She's such a winner - no difference now between her and anyone else at Harvard, except she probably had a much better fall/spring than most of them did last year - same result. I'm pretty sure that your date of acceptance to Harvard will not effect your class ranking, chance at Bar Review, or SA prospects lol.

It would be nice to know, but we're just not ever going to know why we get accepted, WL, or rejected at particular times.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Last edited by jim-green on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:57 pm

jim-green wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Popping in before bed - I have to say, I think there is alot of over analysis of things that are probably meaningless. IMO We should all just take a step back, enjoy the great football games or fall weather or what not going on this weekend.
Bed at 1:45 PM! You're like my roommate.
On a serious note, your post means I can relax now till May. Thanks.

Well, I'm in the Middle East so your time is a little off ;) With 3 kids and a full-time job, I might want to sleep in the middle of the day, but it ain't going to happen.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Last edited by jim-green on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:11 pm

MumofCad wrote:Popping in before bed - I have to say, I think there is alot of over analysis of things that are probably meaningless. IMO We should all just take a step back, enjoy the great football games or fall weather or what not going on this weekend.

Anyhow, I got a little perspective from a friend at HLS today who happened to ask how my trip was going. I mentioned it'd be better if I weren't having to rush around trying to get internet access to check to see if I get an email from Harvard. She started laughing at me! I told her I didn't see what was funny in the situation...turns out she thought I was joking. She applied in early Oct last year and didn't hear a thing from H until almost May - MAY. She said, "isn't that normal?" Aww....the beauty of no TLS. She went blithely along with her daily routine, waiting for 7 months until she found out she was in. She's such a winner - no difference now between her and anyone else at Harvard, except she probably had a much better fall/spring than most of them did last year - same result. I'm pretty sure that your date of acceptance to Harvard will not effect your class ranking, chance at Bar Review, or SA prospects lol.

It would be nice to know, but we're just not ever going to know why we get accepted, WL, or rejected at particular times.

Thank you for sharing this with us! This made me feel a lot better :)

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 pm

App under review today. Never got a complete email. Submitted 10/30

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 pm

about to work on my kb1 outline....i cant believe my palms r getting sweaty just thinking about typing about what i should be talking about....lol

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20 pm

thederangedwang wrote:about to work on my kb1 outline....i cant believe my palms r getting sweaty just thinking about typing about what i should be talking about....lol

lmao. You should take it serious but not overboard. its a semi-formal interview. As long as you let KB know who you truly are (which should be reflected in your PS, resume, DS, etc) you should be fine. Just make sure you don't sound like you are reading from a piece a paper.

Good Luck.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:about to work on my kb1 outline....i cant believe my palms r getting sweaty just thinking about typing about what i should be talking about....lol

Just make sure you don't sound like you are reading from a piece a paper.

Hahaha, this.

euskadi

Postby euskadi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:App under review today. Never got a complete email. Submitted 10/30

I know I shouldn't read into this, but I'm somewhat disappointed that mine hasn't shown any movement - submitted 10/29.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 pm

MumofCad wrote:I'm pretty sure that your date of acceptance to Harvard will not effect your class ranking, chance at Bar Review, or SA prospects lol.

I don't know... at Bar Review, you could tell hot people that you were accepted in November and see if that impresses them. Might have better chances. But you're right, probably not.

(Sorry, this was just the first thing that came to mind. Bar Review is a weekly event in which HLS students go to a bar and party. Law Review, on the other hand, is a fairly prestigious journal that students compete to work on.)

I was accepted right before Thanksgiving last year, and the only difference between that and being accepted in, say, March is that I was less anxious for the next few months because I knew I could go somewhere I'd be happy with.

I'm probably going to say this a bunch of times throughout the next few years when I stop by TLS, but the one thing that I find striking now about how people talk about applications on TLS that I didn't notice before is that people talk about schools grouped by ranking as if they're at all similar, and they're kind of not. Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are all really top-notch law schools, but Harvard and Yale put you in very different places than Stanford does. Columbia, Chicago, and NYU are all great law schools, but the character of Chicago is very different from Columbia and NYU. And down it goes through the rankings. Even if all you are about is prestige, it's really debatable whether, say, Stanford is more prestigious than, say, Columbia or Chicago. People are fond of saying not to take the rankings too literally, but also don't take TLS's arbitrary groupings too literally.

So what I'm saying is that people talk about wanting to go to "HYS," but I honestly don't think that applying to all three of those schools makes a great deal of sense for most people. Two of those schools are small, and one is big. Two are in the Northeast and one is on the West Coast. Two much more frequently place people into the federal government and legal academia than the third does. I could go on. I don't think that HYS constitute a coherent group in any logical sense.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:54 pm

tomwatts wrote:
MumofCad wrote:I'm pretty sure that your date of acceptance to Harvard will not effect your class ranking, chance at Bar Review, or SA prospects lol.

I don't know... at Bar Review, you could tell hot people that you were accepted in November and see if that impresses them. Might have better chances. But you're right, probably not.

(Sorry, this was just the first thing that came to mind. Bar Review is a weekly event in which HLS students go to a bar and party. Law Review, on the other hand, is a fairly prestigious journal that students compete to work on.)

Hahaha - that is what happens when your typing on your phone at 2 AM in the morning. Though you are right, both would apply, I meant Law Review. I'm pretty sure the inverse would also apply at Bar Review - bragging about your early acceptance would probably significantly decrease your odds of a successful pick-up.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:51 pm

tomwatts wrote:

I was accepted right before Thanksgiving last year, and the only difference between that and being accepted in, say, March is that I was less anxious for the next few months because I knew I could go somewhere I'd be happy with.

I'm probably going to say this a bunch of times throughout the next few years when I stop by TLS, but the one thing that I find striking now about how people talk about applications on TLS that I didn't notice before is that people talk about schools grouped by ranking as if they're at all similar, and they're kind of not. Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are all really top-notch law schools, but Harvard and Yale put you in very different places than Stanford does. Columbia, Chicago, and NYU are all great law schools, but the character of Chicago is very different from Columbia and NYU. And down it goes through the rankings. Even if all you are about is prestige, it's really debatable whether, say, Stanford is more prestigious than, say, Columbia or Chicago. People are fond of saying not to take the rankings too literally, but also don't take TLS's arbitrary groupings too literally.

So what I'm saying is that people talk about wanting to go to "HYS," but I honestly don't think that applying to all three of those schools makes a great deal of sense for most people. Two of those schools are small, and one is big. Two are in the Northeast and one is on the West Coast. Two much more frequently place people into the federal government and legal academia than the third does. I could go on. I don't think that HYS constitute a coherent group in any logical sense.

Well, there's one similarity that matters: all three schools give you a very good shot at a job--this is probably more important (to me anyway) than fit or geography or whatever.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Curious1 wrote:Well, there's one similarity that matters: all three schools give you a very good shot at a job--this is probably more important (to me anyway) than fit or geography or whatever.

+1.

All the data indicate that YHS have superior employment prospects to CCN. Going to S will not hinder one's chances at getting elite firms in NYC.

I'll chalk it up to anti-S trolling.

RabbitTroop

Postby RabbitTroop » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi All,

I usually get all that I need out of TLS by lurking, but I could use some specific advice this time.

My KB1 is scheduled for 3-4p on Mon., but I'm in Europe and will be without a private room to myself at that time (I'm backpacking). What public place do you all think would suffice? The best thing I've come up with is finding a cafe with a personal bathroom and bolting in as soon as the call comes. But then I run the risk of having it be in use when the time comes. Any ideas?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:49 pm

LOL, the thought of going into a bathroom and doing an interview is pretty funny.

Private study rooms in public libraries?

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:00 pm

RabbitTroop wrote:Hi All,

I usually get all that I need out of TLS by lurking, but I could use some specific advice this time.

My KB1 is scheduled for 3-4p on Mon., but I'm in Europe and will be without a private room to myself at that time (I'm backpacking). What public place do you all think would suffice? The best thing I've come up with is finding a cafe with a personal bathroom and bolting in as soon as the call comes. But then I run the risk of having it be in use when the time comes. Any ideas?

I imagine a quiet cafe would be fine without resorting to the bathroom. The small amount of background noise would make a great icebreaker vis a vis your backpacking trip. Going in the bathroom would be weird, even if it was "private."

medialoop

Postby medialoop » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:45 pm

What about a quiet public park?

yoiav

Postby yoiav » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Looks like emails aren't going out today.... it's gunna be a looooooooooonnnggg weekend.

No kidding although I've got lots of football this weekend to keep me occupied.

+++1!

medialoop

Postby medialoop » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 am

Also, I want to be in Europe and have a JR1. Either of those things would be great, but both? I'm jealous : )

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:36 am

For those who are interviewing this week: We don't have to confirm our our interview time, correct? If my reading of the email is correct, then it's assumed that if we don't reply to the email the time interval KB gave us works for us.

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am

MyLegendLives wrote:For those who are interviewing this week: We don't have to confirm our our interview time, correct? If my reading of the email is correct, then it's assumed that if we don't reply to the email the time interval KB gave us works for us.

Yeah that's what I took out of it as well... Good luck!

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 pm

instantwonton wrote:
MyLegendLives wrote:For those who are interviewing this week: We don't have to confirm our our interview time, correct? If my reading of the email is correct, then it's assumed that if we don't reply to the email the time interval KB gave us works for us.

Yeah that's what I took out of it as well... Good luck!

I just noticed that your name is 'instantwonton' rather than 'instantwoman'. D'oh. Need new glasses, too poor to get any :(.

annyong

Postby annyong » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Good luck to those with your interviews tomorrow - and good luck to those of us that are still waiting that we might hear something next week!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”