Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Wonk wrote:Another splitter here, very low GPA, had KB1 on Friday, constantly freaking out since.


Congrats to all that got an interview!
Sounds like the Splitter boat left with me still on the pier...Please come back!

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby aekea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:23 pm

yepyepyep wrote:
Wonk wrote:Another splitter here, very low GPA, had KB1 on Friday, constantly freaking out since.


Congrats to all that got an interview!
Sounds like the Splitter boat left with me still on the pier...Please come back!

+1

teacher10456
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby teacher10456 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:38 pm

KB2!!!

User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:41 pm

teacher10456 wrote:KB2!!!


CONGRATULATIONS! :) First one in awhile!

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Hold email 20 minutes ago, first thing I've heard from Harvard since my complete email 3/1. They even suggest I might want to deposit at another school. Gee thanks! Baaaaahhhh just tell me already!

Dancers4eva
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Dancers4eva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Elendil wrote:
teacher10456 wrote:KB2!!!


CONGRATULATIONS! :) First one in awhile!


When did you have your kb1? And was your kb2 a call or email?

User avatar
whenwin
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby whenwin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Hold email 20 minutes ago, first thing I've heard from Harvard since my complete email 3/1. They even suggest I might want to deposit at another school. Gee thanks! Baaaaahhhh just tell me already!

What the? Holding people in April? Now I'm just confused.
If there is a method to their madness it certainly isn't obvious from the outside looking in.

User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm

whenwin wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Hold email 20 minutes ago, first thing I've heard from Harvard since my complete email 3/1. They even suggest I might want to deposit at another school. Gee thanks! Baaaaahhhh just tell me already!

What the? Holding people in April? Now I'm just confused.
If there is a method to their madness it certainly isn't obvious from the outside looking in.


Maybe JS is coming back again and KB wants to save some good ones for her to review also! :lol:

Dancers4eva
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Dancers4eva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Hold email 20 minutes ago, first thing I've heard from Harvard since my complete email 3/1. They even suggest I might want to deposit at another school. Gee thanks! Baaaaahhhh just tell me already!


Wow why did you apply so late with such solid numbers. Not great move my friend.

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Elendil wrote:
whenwin wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Hold email 20 minutes ago, first thing I've heard from Harvard since my complete email 3/1. They even suggest I might want to deposit at another school. Gee thanks! Baaaaahhhh just tell me already!

What the? Holding people in April? Now I'm just confused.
If there is a method to their madness it certainly isn't obvious from the outside looking in.


Maybe JS is coming back again and KB wants to save some good ones for her to review also! :lol:


hahahaha this makes me laugh, in the crying kind of way :D

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 pm

KB1s for non-URMs with a 3.4 gpa, holds in early April...I'm done trying to figure out what's going on up in Cambridge. They're off the grid on their craziness this cycle.

Syme
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Syme » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:20 pm

KB2!

I had my JS1 almost a month ago. Had lost hope. Obviously, freaking out.

hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby hellothisisme » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Dumb question: Does Harvard do phone interviews with all candidates that they eventually put on the waitlist? Or is anybody waitlisted without a KB1/JS1/whatever it is called these days?

I haven't been following this thread at all since I don't have a shot in hell of being accepted. The absolute best I can hope for is a waitlist, and even that would be a miracle. So I'm just wondering.

cfrob14
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby cfrob14 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Hold email 20 minutes ago, first thing I've heard from Harvard since my complete email 3/1. They even suggest I might want to deposit at another school. Gee thanks! Baaaaahhhh just tell me already!




+1

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Applying_Late » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Curious1 wrote:
encaenia wrote:On the people's therapist article, I wonder whether a Harvard JD is even worth the punishment of a biglaw job and 200k in debt. I personally feel anything less than a HYS JD is definitely not worth that price.


If you think the job is a punishment, why are you going to law school?

Also--new KB1s: congratulations! How low of GPAs are we talking about here?



Are you saying that you can't do anything else than biglaw? Fortunately, Harvard allows for you to go to other places.

The only thing I will say about biglaw is that it is shitty for the debt. It seems med school is the safest bet--salaries of 200k-1M after residency (2-7 years). A family member of mine makes 200k by working 3 days a week and refuses to work more (shortage of docs). Not a bad deal if you ask me. Law and med both drain you--med just seems to suck your soul much less....

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:27 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Dumb question: Does Harvard do phone interviews with all candidates that they eventually put on the waitlist? Or is anybody waitlisted without a KB1/JS1/whatever it is called these days?

Many, many people will be waitlisted without an interview. They're a prerequisite for getting in, but not for enjoying the thrill of extending the time before being rejected by Harvard into the summer months.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Applying_Late wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
encaenia wrote:On the people's therapist article, I wonder whether a Harvard JD is even worth the punishment of a biglaw job and 200k in debt. I personally feel anything less than a HYS JD is definitely not worth that price.


If you think the job is a punishment, why are you going to law school?

Also--new KB1s: congratulations! How low of GPAs are we talking about here?



Are you saying that you can't do anything else than biglaw? Fortunately, Harvard allows for you to go to other places.

The only thing I will say about biglaw is that it is shitty for the debt. It seems med school is the safest bet--salaries of 200k-1M after residency (2-7 years). A family member of mine makes 200k by working 3 days a week and refuses to work more (shortage of docs). Not a bad deal if you ask me. Law and med both drain you--med just seems to suck your soul much less....

Some people prefer pushing paper to sick people and gore. Shocking I know.

Dancers4eva
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Dancers4eva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Nelson wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
encaenia wrote:On the people's therapist article, I wonder whether a Harvard JD is even worth the punishment of a biglaw job and 200k in debt. I personally feel anything less than a HYS JD is definitely not worth that price.


If you think the job is a punishment, why are you going to law school?

Also--new KB1s: congratulations! How low of GPAs are we talking about here?



Are you saying that you can't do anything else than biglaw? Fortunately, Harvard allows for you to go to other places.

The only thing I will say about biglaw is that it is shitty for the debt. It seems med school is the safest bet--salaries of 200k-1M after residency (2-7 years). A family member of mine makes 200k by working 3 days a week and refuses to work more (shortage of docs). Not a bad deal if you ask me. Law and med both drain you--med just seems to suck your soul much less....

Some people prefer pushing paper to sick people and gore. Shocking I know.


The point is the people who work with gore don't have "up an out" and 60-80 hr workweeks.

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Applying_Late » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Nelson wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
encaenia wrote:On the people's therapist article, I wonder whether a Harvard JD is even worth the punishment of a biglaw job and 200k in debt. I personally feel anything less than a HYS JD is definitely not worth that price.


If you think the job is a punishment, why are you going to law school?

Also--new KB1s: congratulations! How low of GPAs are we talking about here?



Are you saying that you can't do anything else than biglaw? Fortunately, Harvard allows for you to go to other places.

The only thing I will say about biglaw is that it is shitty for the debt. It seems med school is the safest bet--salaries of 200k-1M after residency (2-7 years). A family member of mine makes 200k by working 3 days a week and refuses to work more (shortage of docs). Not a bad deal if you ask me. Law and med both drain you--med just seems to suck your soul much less....

Some people prefer pushing paper to sick people and gore. Shocking I know.


Med school administrators make the same amount of cash. They only push paper. You could also be a benchside md, meaning you just do basic science research. Or hell you could consult. A good chunk of MDs don't practice bedside....

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Dancers4eva wrote:The point is the people who work with gore don't have "up an out" and 60-80 hr workweeks.

Go to med school then? This is a stupid line of reasoning. There's a reason people want to go into law, consulting, banking, etc. It's because it's not brain surgery or rocket science. It's a low barrier to entry career with pretty decent long term employment prospects. Almost any job you can go into requires long hours and some luck to get to the highest prestige jobs. It's not like top flight surgeons earning top dollar work 35 hour weeks. It's an even more "up and out" profession since the vast majority of the population can't hack it.

Applying_Late
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Applying_Late » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

What do you mean they dont have 60-80 hour work weeks? Plenty of them do if not most. The family member that works 3 days a week pulls 24 hour shifts--that's 72 hours. Surgeons can easily work over 100.

Dancers4eva
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Dancers4eva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Nelson wrote:
Dancers4eva wrote:The point is the people who work with gore don't have "up an out" and 60-80 hr workweeks.

Go to med school then? This is a stupid line of reasoning. There's a reason people want to go into law, consulting, banking, etc. It's because it's not brain surgery or rocket science. It's a low barrier to entry career with pretty decent long term employment prospects. Almost any job you can go into requires long hours and some luck to get to the highest prestige jobs. It's not like top flight surgeons earning top dollar work 35 hour weeks. It's an even more "up and out" profession since the vast majority of the population can't hack it.


I wasn't talking about consulting or banking. I was talking strictly about biglaw. With the chance of making partner practically non-existent, and with most exit ops entailing a drop in pay, it just seems like a really crappy route.

User avatar
Elendil
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Sooo about those KB1's and KB2's today... and all other things Harvard-related!

Dancers4eva
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Dancers4eva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Applying_Late wrote:What do you mean they dont have 60-80 hour work weeks? Plenty of them do if not most. The family member that works 3 days a week pulls 24 hour shifts--that's 72 hours. Surgeons can easily work over 100.


I stand corrected. That's a ridiculous schedule

User avatar
whenwin
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby whenwin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Syme wrote:KB2!

I had my JS1 almost a month ago. Had lost hope. Obviously, freaking out.

Ahhhhh super congrats fellow JS1->??? !!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: admitmels180, curry4bfast, finaciardi, Nickel94 and 8 guests