Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bernaldiaz

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
snehpets wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
Nulli, please post somewhere else if you want to discuss something other than the movement on your app.

haha you're not applying till next year right?

Nope not til next year. But seeing this thread move by 12 posts in a minute's span got my hopes up that maybe they were preemptively sending acceptances to 2012-13 applicants with high numbers :lol:

So you were serious? I was preempting a lengthy women in the workplace discussion with that post, not encouraging for them to continue in the same vein. I guess your LSAT LR & RC were easier than usual.

Hahah no I was 100% not serious. Just razzing you.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Its amazing how little it takes now for this thread to get deadly. Everyone just needs to get pregnant.

ru1ess

Postby ru1ess » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
snehpets wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
Nulli, please post somewhere else if you want to discuss something other than the movement on your app.

haha you're not applying till next year right?

Nope not til next year. But seeing this thread move by 12 posts in a minute's span got my hopes up that maybe they were preemptively sending acceptances to 2012-13 applicants with high numbers :lol:

Lol, bro, get off of here and go enjoy undergrad... You have plenttttttty of time

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Its amazing how little it takes now for this thread to get deadly. Everyone just needs to get pregnant.

Yeah because pregnancy is the established way to emotional stability.

ru1ess

Postby ru1ess » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Its amazing how little it takes now for this thread to get deadly. Everyone just needs to get pregnant.

buncha type-a over achievers.. can't wait for next year LOL

adam1

Postby adam1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:34 pm

ru1ess wrote:

I'm going to get more pregnant than all of y'all.

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:37 pm

This should be a good news to all JS1-less people since everyone will get re-reviewed. Maybe not so much for JS1-noJS2 people(like me..).

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:

Yeah because pregnancy is the established way to emotional stability.

My point exactly :)

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:56 pm

With 800+ admitted applicants and 1200+ phone calls, how many applications does the actual admissions dean review? I ask because I am curious as to whether held applicants are actually held because the admissions dean thinks they are competitive, or because someone on the staff thinks so. I would assume that the admissions dean does at least review every applicant file that gets a phone call, and that the decision on whether to admit the applicant is made by the dean.

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 pm

ru1ess wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure I like spending time with people like me.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Byzantine wrote:
ru1ess wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure I like spending time with people like me.

I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:16 pm

adam1 wrote:
EvelynS wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Oh, wow. I don't know guys, but if they knew they were going to have to switch their admissions dean midway through the year, it kind of would have made sense to pick a new dean who wasn't already, like, eight months pregnant. I'm all in favour of more babies, but all these transitions are a little unfair for those of us that have deadlines at other schools to keep in mind.

I agree. HLS had plenty of time to find someone to cover for both of them.

Totes agree. your deadlines>>>>>>someone getting a fair shot at a job they deserve

Hahaha, ok, that post came out more aggressively than I meant it. That must be the stress of waiting finally kicking in. It's just that this is a pretty time-sensitive process, and people are going to need to start making final decisions and concrete plans soon. It's the sort of thing where multiple transitions throughout the year are not ideal, and if it's possible, it makes sense to plan things out so that there's some continuity - like maybe have an interim admissions dean who's going to oversee the process throughout the year (and then the new dean comes in officially at the end of cycle) rather than moving things from one hand to another over several months. Or something.

Anyways, I'm sure HLS has the continuity thing under control even though the official head keeps switching. My post wasn't really an attempt to make a serious comment on how I think things should be done or are being done - it was more a stressed-out, frustrated outburst of the whiny "I can't anymore!" variety. You probably know the feeling. ;)

candycat

Postby candycat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Held email today. Early January applicant, 172/3.87

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:37 pm

adam1 wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:
Killingly wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:I still don't really understand why they didn't just finish the year with KB. Did they really gain by having a different admissions dean for a month?

It sounds like KB needed some maternity leave, so JB covered for her and vice-versa. Makes sense in a strange way.

Ah. I had no idea KB had a child.

HLS admissions needs a dedicated tabloid.

Lol.

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Pretty sure pregnancy discrimination in the workplace is illegal. Just sayin'.

aptorres

Postby aptorres » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm fairly new to the forum and couldn't locate the discussion. But, what exactly are we to do if put on hold? Is it just a matter of waiting or is it pretty much imperative that we send along new material (updated resume, additional recommendation, LOCI, etc.)?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 pm

aptorres wrote:I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm fairly new to the forum and couldn't locate the discussion. But, what exactly are we to do if put on hold? Is it just a matter of waiting or is it pretty much imperative that we send along new material (updated resume, additional recommendation, LOCI, etc.)?

It is by no means imperative that you do anything to your application unless you have something significant to add to it (a new job, a publication, a higher GPA, etc).

aptorres

Postby aptorres » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
aptorres wrote:I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm fairly new to the forum and couldn't locate the discussion. But, what exactly are we to do if put on hold? Is it just a matter of waiting or is it pretty much imperative that we send along new material (updated resume, additional recommendation, LOCI, etc.)?

It is by no means imperative that you do anything to your application unless you have something significant to add to it (a new job, a publication, a higher GPA, etc).

Thanks. I do in fact have a new job, but it just seems trivial to send an updated resume that includes just one additional employment entry. (Though, that could be because I just find my job unexciting and anything but glamorous).

Tim3155

Postby Tim3155 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Along similar lines, if we don't have a LOCI but just want to inform Harvard of an upcoming deadline (like April 15th at Chicago), then can we just send them an email? Or would that need to be snail-mailed?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Tim3155 wrote:

Along similar lines, if we don't have a LOCI but just want to inform Harvard of an upcoming deadline (like April 15th at Chicago), then can we just send them an email? Or would that need to be snail-mailed?

I'm not sure about this. You might want to call them up to ask. Harvard Law Admissions will not open attachments, but I believe other posters have said they want all communication to be via snail-mail.

mps102

Postby mps102 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Tim3155 wrote:

If you call, please post...

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:05 pm

On "hold" at HLS as of this morning. January applicant. I can't decide if this is good news or bad news. Probability of hold applicants ultimately invited to interview and accepted=???

lawlcat4179

Postby lawlcat4179 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Are there any non URM non International applicants that have not been rejected,held, accepted, etc.? I threw out an app just before the deadline and haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if I should interpret as 1. Good, 2. Bad, 3. Application lost behind a desk or something.

jbsar87

Postby jbsar87 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm a non-URM international applicant. Submitted 1/16. Under review 2/1. Complete email 2/9. Silence ever since.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:08 pm

lawlcat4179 wrote:Are there any non URM non International applicants that have not been rejected,held, accepted, etc.? I threw out an app just before the deadline and haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if I should interpret as 1. Good, 2. Bad, 3. Application lost behind a desk or something.

Same here. Applied 1/29, UR 2/22, Complete 3/1. Silence since.

I'd interpret it as 4. They have complete chaos in the admissions office with babies flying everywhere so they just haven't gotten to us yet. Looking like a hold is still possible in the next day or so too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”