Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AntipodeanPhil

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:16 pm

poultry wrote:Are you currently in the States? Maybe the time difference thing is delaying their call for you?

bk641 wrote:it's only 3 o'clock, don't think we're done for the day.

The last overseas-based international to get a JS2 got it by email, I think (in what was the middle of the night, his time). If I remember correctly, they do the same thing for Americans living overseas.

jec3550

Postby jec3550 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:07 pm

JS2 a couple of hrs ago! Thank you to everyone on this post who has kept me relatively sane over the last many months. Key dates and such below for anyone who is curious. Also, to those who have had radio silence since November...there is still hope!

JS1: Tues. 3/13
JS1 Email: Mon 3/12
Complete Email: 12/22/11 (no movement until JS1)
Submitted: 11/28
Stats: 173/3.73 with 4yrs work

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:17 pm

jec3550 wrote:JS2 a couple of hrs ago! Thank you to everyone on this post who has kept me relatively sane over the last many months. Key dates and such below for anyone who is curious. Also, to those who have had radio silence since November...there is still hope!

JS1: Tues. 3/13
JS1 Email: Mon 3/12
Complete Email: 12/22/11 (no movement until JS1)
Submitted: 11/28
Stats: 173/3.73 with 4yrs work

Our numbers are basically the same... *sobs in the corner*

But major congrats to you! :)

beevs

Postby beevs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I'M IN! Why is yelling at the library not appropriate?

I feel really bad about prematurely freaking out now. I wish the rest of you all of the luck! Even though I'm an incredible lurker, the community on this thread alone is awesome and I think you should all be together at HLS next year.

operagrl71

Postby operagrl71 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Congrats! Still waiting [sigh]...what time was your call?

beevs

Postby beevs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 pm

This is the terrible part where I'm not helpful. I checked my voicemail around 5:20pm EST, but I have the timestamp feature disabled because I usually just look at the time of missed calls. The catch--my phone is broken, so I checked on someone else's. I think the last time I checked my voicemail before this was 3:30pm, so sometime in that two hour window.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Last edited by PopTorts13 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:No JS2 and they fucked my bracket!

News just in . . . Vanderbilt is way better than Harvard at basketball

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:07 pm

zapcaz wrote:

My one upset/Cinderella; these things happen. Apparently not this time!

Barca10

Postby Barca10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
zapcaz wrote:

I was really hoping for an upset that would put JS in a tremendous mood for my interview tomorrow. No such luck! :x

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Barca10 wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:
zapcaz wrote:

I was really hoping for an upset that would put JS in a tremendous mood for my interview tomorrow. No such luck! :x

You're gonna take care of business during that interview and hopefully I will be joining you in the next round of JS2s. JS doesn't interview and send out JS's on the same day... does she?

chickenalfredo

Postby chickenalfredo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 pm

no JS2 for me :cry:

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 pm

fellow international JS1s: during my interview I asked JS about when should I expect a decision, and she told me that since there are a lot of files it might take some time. At first I thought it was because I was not good enough (which might still be the case), but now I think such timing might apply to all international JS1s in this batch. She might want to go through the whole held application pool (not just internationals) to decide how many internationals she would take before issuing any international JS2s.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:fellow international JS1s: during my interview I asked JS about when should I expect a decision, and she told me that since there are a lot of files it might take some time. At first I thought it was because I was not good enough (which might still be the case), but now I think such timing might apply to all international JS1s in this batch. She might want to go through the whole held application pool (not just internationals) to decide how many internationals she would take before issuing any international JS2s.

Curious.

My theory is that they want to estimate the LSAT median for the incoming class, and then sprinkle internationals into the mix until the median = 173 again. We're the easiest way to remedy a low LSAT median, since there are a lot of us at 173 or above, and we don't mess with the GPA quartiles.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Congrats to all the new JS2s! Amazing job guys!

I was wondering if any of the new JS1s had been held before they received their interview invites? After JS skimmed the hold pile, I thought she might delve deeper into it this week. Unfortunately, that seems not to have happened yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be a big hold--> JS1 day with JS2s interspersed for those who are still waiting.

Good luck everyone!

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:25 pm

I've stopped following Harvard, but when do rejections come out?

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:27 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:fellow international JS1s: during my interview I asked JS about when should I expect a decision, and she told me that since there are a lot of files it might take some time. At first I thought it was because I was not good enough (which might still be the case), but now I think such timing might apply to all international JS1s in this batch. She might want to go through the whole held application pool (not just internationals) to decide how many internationals she would take before issuing any international JS2s.

Curious.

My theory is that they want to estimate the LSAT median for the incoming class, and then sprinkle internationals into the mix until the median = 173 again. We're the easiest way to remedy a low LSAT median, since there are a lot of us at 173 or above, and we don't mess with the GPA quartiles.

That is very good reason for doing so. However, what I don't understand is, if no interntional JS1s is going to become JS2s in the near future, won't it make more sense to interview internationals after they finish estimating the LSAT median?

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 pm

amc987 wrote:Congrats to all the new JS2s! Amazing job guys!

I was wondering if any of the new JS1s had been held before they received their interview invites? After JS skimmed the hold pile, I thought she might delve deeper into it this week. Unfortunately, that seems not to have happened yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be a big hold--> JS1 day with JS2s interspersed for those who are still waiting.

Good luck everyone!

I like you... a lot!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:That is very good reason for doing so. However, what I don't understand is, if no interntional JS1s is going to become JS2s in the near future, won't it make more sense to interview internationals after they finish estimating the LSAT median?

I'm betting some of you guys will get JS2s soon. Perhaps they estimate their LSAT median after admitting X% of the class - where X is a number significantly short of 100?

That said, I have to stop engaging in ridiculous speculation on this thread. I almost invariably get it wrong and/or freak people out.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
amc987 wrote:Congrats to all the new JS2s! Amazing job guys!

Good luck everyone!

I like you... a lot!

YES!

pangoo

Postby pangoo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 am

first post for a long time lurker...

Should I inform Harvard of my acceptance to the other half of a dual-degree program with HLS?

Thanks!

QueMellow

Postby QueMellow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 am

pangoo wrote:first post for a long time lurker...

Should I inform Harvard of my acceptance to the other half of a dual-degree program with HLS?

Thanks!

I am in the exact same position! I did it at Penn, which is my #1, and I think I'm gonna do it at HLS. It can double as a preemptive LOCI. Go for it!

poultry

Postby poultry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:47 am

I have an even wilder speculation. I think they maintain a quota for international students, ie. two koreans, two chinese, a bunch of new zealanders, etc. (I made up the numbers). So we are not actually competing with the vast majority of domestic applicants, and we are evaluated based on a very small international applicants pool, the relative strength of which determines our chance. My empirical observations seem to back this theory up. But again, that's my pure speculation. Wish us all good luck!

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Curious.

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 am

poultry wrote:I have an even wilder speculation. I think they maintain a quota for international students, ie. two koreans, two chinese, a bunch of new zealanders, etc. (I made up the numbers). So we are not actually competing with the vast majority of domestic applicants, and we are evaluated based on a very small international applicants pool, the relative strength of which determines our chance. My empirical observations seem to back this theory up. But again, that's my pure speculation. Wish us all good luck!

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Curious.

I am fairly sure you are right that we are competing against other internationals (or even with our own people). But it does not explain why no international from the latest JS1s gets a JS2 (or maybe someone did but not on TLS, but I highly doubt that): I am sure JS has finished reading the materials from true international before issuing the latest JS1 invitations (just like she likely finished reading all URM application before the latest batch of JS1).

poultry

Postby poultry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:13 am

Because strong applicant like Antipodean is still held after a JS1....I guess they are going to make decisions on internationals collectively. After they interviewed all potentially strong international applicants, they might be able to issue JS2s...

mjitbswyd wrote:
poultry wrote:I have an even wilder speculation. I think they maintain a quota for international students, ie. two koreans, two chinese, a bunch of new zealanders, etc. (I made up the numbers). So we are not actually competing with the vast majority of domestic applicants, and we are evaluated based on a very small international applicants pool, the relative strength of which determines our chance. My empirical observations seem to back this theory up. But again, that's my pure speculation. Wish us all good luck!

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Curious.

I am fairly sure you are right that we are competing against other internationals (or even with our own people). But it does not explain why no international from the latest JS1s gets a JS2 (or maybe someone did but not on TLS, but I highly doubt that): I am sure JS has finished reading the materials from true international before issuing the latest JS1 invitations (just like she likely finished reading all URM application before the latest batch of JS1).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”