Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yepyepyep

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Hoping JS2's come out tomorrow. Looking at the previous batch, seems like the way it works is JS schedules a bunch of interviews for consecutive business days, then waits 2 days after the last day of interviews to start making JS2 phone calls. I think (correct if wrong) the last day that JS1's were scheduled for the most recent batch was Tuesday.

Therefore, Tuesday -> Thursday turnaround applies?

Wow that's some pretty intense analysis.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Hoping JS2's come out tomorrow. Looking at the previous batch, seems like the way it works is JS schedules a bunch of interviews for consecutive business days, then waits 2 days after the last day of interviews to start making JS2 phone calls. I think (correct if wrong) the last day that JS1's were scheduled for the most recent batch was Tuesday.

Therefore, Tuesday -> Thursday turnaround applies?

I'm right there with you!

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 pm

I couldn't help but thinking that the gap between the most recent JS1 and JS2 would be longer than average. Applicants from the hold pile are necessairly not as stellar and outstanding as the auto-admits. I guess they will need more time to deliberate, even to compare the old-holds with the new-holds and make careful decisions, since it is pretty much the end of the cycle. All considered, I still think another 1 or 2 batches of JS1s are likely to come in the near future. A quick scan of LSN suggests they are lagging behind their schedule compared with last year and there are still a lot of slots to be filled. Keep up the oppotimism!

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeah, I don't know. What the hell. Just throwin' it out there.

It really seemed like she was in a real rush when she called because there were a ton of other people to get to. That really could be for better or worse.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 pm

poultry wrote:Applicants from the hold pile are necessairly not as stellar and outstanding as the auto-admits.

You sir have offended my honor!
*Takes off glove*
I demand satisfaction!
*slaps*

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:25 pm

hey..it is all perception, very subjective. It's possible that KB and JS have very different views about what constitutes an auto-admit...
Here is my bless of a JS1 delivered to your doorstep tomorrow :D

Doorkeeper wrote:
poultry wrote:Applicants from the hold pile are necessairly not as stellar and outstanding as the auto-admits.

You sir have offended my honor!
*Takes off glove*
I demand satisfaction!
*slaps*

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 pm

+1

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Yeah, I don't know. What the hell. Just throwin' it out there.

It really seemed like she was in a real rush when she called because there were a ton of other people to get to. That really could be for better or worse.

BaseballT

Postby BaseballT » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Really hoping we get some JS1's tomorrow!! Between this and the impending next wave of YLS snail mail rejections, I fear for my sanity for at least the next two weeks...

bigdumb

Postby bigdumb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:49 am

Hello everyone!
Sorry about my dumb question, but could anyone explain to me what a “JS1” and a “JS2” stand for in this context? I’m an international student and new to the whole law school game, so there’re lots of acronyms you guys use that I don’t understand.
I also got put on hold at Harvard in late January and haven’t heard back from them since. I hear that everyone eventual admitted would need to have a telephone interview with the dean. I’m international and I haven’t been invited to an interview, and it’s so late in the admissions cycle, so does it mean I’ve got no chance at Harvard now? If that’s the case I guess I’ll just place my deposit with another school and forget all about this. Some honest tips will be highly appreciated! Thanks.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 am

bigdumb wrote:Hello everyone!
Sorry about my dumb question, but could anyone explain to me what a “JS1” and a “JS2” stand for in this context? I’m an international student and new to the whole law school game, so there’re lots of acronyms you guys use that I don’t understand.
I also got put on hold at Harvard in late January and haven’t heard back from them since. I hear that everyone eventual admitted would need to have a telephone interview with the dean. I’m international and I haven’t been invited to an interview, and it’s so late in the admissions cycle, so does it mean I’ve got no chance at Harvard now? If that’s the case I guess I’ll just place my deposit with another school and forget all about this. Some honest tips will be highly appreciated! Thanks.

JS1 is the first interview with the dean of admissions JS2 is the notification of admission if you get in. All the acronyms are explained in the first page of this thread. What used to be JR is now JS.

bigdumb

Postby bigdumb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 am

salsahips wrote:
bigdumb wrote:Hello everyone!

JS1 is the first interview with the dean of admissions JS2 is the notification of admission if you get in. All the acronyms are explained in the first page of this thread. What used to be JR is now JS.

Thanks! There're over 180 pages so I just went directly to the most recent ones, haha...
Thank you very much for your explanation!

Vaclac

Postby Vaclac » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 am

Lurked this thread for a while, felt like joining with finally getting my complete e-mail today. Went UR 3/6, applied deadline 2/1. I know applying late hurt my chances, but nothing I can do about that now. I figure I must be among the last applicants to go complete. No idea if that means anything for timing of them moving forward with earlier apps/holds.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 am

bigdumb wrote:I also got put on hold at Harvard in late January and haven’t heard back from them since. I hear that everyone eventual admitted would need to have a telephone interview with the dean. I’m international and I haven’t been invited to an interview, and it’s so late in the admissions cycle, so does it mean I’ve got no chance at Harvard now? If that’s the case I guess I’ll just place my deposit with another school and forget all about this. Some honest tips will be highly appreciated! Thanks.

Harvard has held a very large number of applicants this year, including quite a few internationals. But you definitely still have some chance, so don't give up yet. The theory here is that Harvard is a bit behind in making decisions this year, for a couple of reasons.

IMO, you should wait as long as possible to send a deposit to another school (but not past the deadline, of course). If Harvard accepts you after you have sent a deposit to another school, you can still attend Harvard, but you don't (usually) get a refund on the other school's deposit.

lsatTakerguy

Postby lsatTakerguy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am

quick update. file went UR on 3/7 after my fee waiver was approved. I applied at deadline

today, I got a second email that my file was under review

is this a computer glitch or a sign they r actually getting to my app soon?

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

lsatTakerguy wrote:quick update. file went UR on 3/7 after my fee waiver was approved. I applied at deadline

today, I got a second email that my file was under review

is this a computer glitch or a sign they r actually getting to my app soon?

This just happens to everyone. For some reason that email comes about a week later after you go UR.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
IMO, you should wait as long as possible to send a deposit to another school (but not past the deadline, of course). If Harvard accepts you after you have sent a deposit to another school, you can still attend Harvard, but you don't (usually) get a refund on the other school's deposit.

Could someone elaborate on this process? Is this considered completely ethical if you are signing that you are withdrawing from other schools?

What about in the case of NYU, if I deposit there and sign that "I'm withdrawing from all schools I'm accepted to" (someone correct that wording if it's off) is it acceptable to ride the waitlist at Harvard and jump ship late in the summer should I be so lucky to be accepted?

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:29 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Could someone elaborate on this process? Is this considered completely ethical if you are signing that you are withdrawing from other schools?

What about in the case of NYU, if I deposit there and sign that "I'm withdrawing from all schools I'm accepted to" (someone correct that wording if it's off) is it acceptable to ride the waitlist at Harvard and jump ship late in the summer should I be so lucky to be accepted?

I was in this exact situation last year, accepted at NYU and a bunch of other schools, and waitlisted at H and S. I know for a fact from calling the NYU office multiple times, that they will allow you to stay on waitlists at other schools and still deposit. They are kind of keen that you withdraw from the schools you got into, however, as there is some kind of a 'master list' that all schools share with each other to ensure that people aren't depositing to multiple places.

And just to throw this in, the folks at NYU were very reasonable I thought. I wanted an extra 2 weeks past their deposit deadline to think my decision over and they had no problem granting me an extension.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:11 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Uh oh - I don't mean to get anyone in trouble here. The only commitment response form I'd seen when I wrote the above states that you must not place a deposit with another school, but doesn't mention withdrawing applications. I guess some schools do require that you withdraw your other applications, though - I just checked Chicago, as an example:

Chicago wrote:When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools.

Obviously, you need to check the wording for whatever other school you're considering. Sorry for creating confusion!

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Went ur 1/31. Haven't been held or heard anything since. Anyone else among the forgotten?

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:34 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I guess some schools do require that you withdraw your other applications, though - I just checked Chicago, as an example:

Chicago wrote:When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools.

Obviously, you need to check the wording for whatever other school you're considering. Sorry for creating confusion!

Oh. Damn it.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

curiouscat wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:I guess some schools do require that you withdraw your other applications, though - I just checked Chicago, as an example:

Oh. Damn it.

I don't think you'll have any outstanding applications on 4/15. I assume you'll hear of admit/reject/WL before then...

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I don't think you'll have any outstanding applications on 4/15. I assume you'll hear of admit/reject/WL before then...

I sure hope so. I heard some people got WL decisions for HLS later in April last year (e.g. Nulli), though, and especially with the slower pace this cycle, I don't think a decision before April 15 is guaranteed.

viacavour

Postby viacavour » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 pm

In!!!!!!!!! Via voicemail at 12.30pm

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

viacavour wrote:In!!!!!!!!! Via voicemail at 12.30pm

Congratulations!!! :D

kindaklueless

Postby kindaklueless » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

viacavour wrote:In!!!!!!!!! Via voicemail at 12.30pm

Congrats! May your acceptance augur JS1s for the holds.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”