Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lovely Ludwig Van

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 pm

hypothalamus wrote:I was just browsing through last year's cycle on LSN, and I found something very disturbing. I want to share the knowledge with all of you in hopes that it will weigh less heavily on me...

The last batch of straight acceptances last year came on 3/14. After that, there was only one more acceptance on 3/22. From then on, it was bloodshed.

I know this year is a little different, but I can't help but hear a giant imaginary clock counting down the hours to Wednesday, the 14th.

Last year there were 120 acceptances on LSN not counting WL -> acceptances. At this point there are only 90 acceptances on LSN.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Is the admissions office open through spring break? Anyone have a JS1 scheduled for this week...?

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Elendil wrote:Is the admissions office open through spring break? Anyone have a JS1 scheduled for this week...?

Yes. Mine was rescheduled to tomorrow. And I belive some URM applicants are also scheduled this week.

QueMellow

Postby QueMellow » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:I was just browsing through last year's cycle on LSN, and I found a something very disturbing. I want to share the knowledge with all of you in hopes that it will weigh less heavily on me...

The last batch of straight acceptances last year came on 3/14. After that, there was only one more acceptance on 3/22. From then on, it was bloodshed.

I know this year is a little different, but I can't help but hear a giant imaginary clock counting down the hours to Wednesday, the 14th.

Last year's holds -> JS1 happened much earlier than they did this year. I don't think last year's cycle is a good predictor of what's going to happen this year. Remember that a few JS1 emails JUST went out, and I'm sure more will come in the next week or so.

DoorKeeper likes to kill my panic-mongering efforts :D

Hence his name?

KRog

Postby KRog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:52 am

Elendil wrote:Is the admissions office open through spring break? Anyone have a JS1 scheduled for this week...?

I am also scheduled tomorrow. 1/19 Complete. Not held.

Incidentally, anyone who cares to PM with info about their JS1 or general JS1-encouragement would make my month right about now. :wink:

Edit: Long story.... If you are super curious, feel free to PM.
Last edited by KRog on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 am

goodluck to those who has their JS1s today.

FavoriteColorGRUE

Postby FavoriteColorGRUE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 pm

KRog wrote:

I am also scheduled tomorrow. Non-URM, 1/19 Complete. Not held.

Incidentally, anyone who cares to PM with info about their JS1 or general JS1-encouragement would make my month right about now. :wink:

good luck!!!
#happylittletrees

kindaklueless

Postby kindaklueless » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Planning on mailing a LOCI this week. For the self-addressed notification postcard, do I just send any ol' postcard I can find?

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Just got off the phone. As everyone else said she is very nice. I got 3 questions: what I am doing\career plan\why law school. It lasted 8 min.

I would say it went pretty well. However, in the end when I asked her when should I expect a decision, she said there are still a lot of files and she will try to get back asap (I believe she answered "soon" to the same question in other JS1, according to a previous post). So I figured I will not get a JS2 in the near future.

Anyway, she was very friendly and the conversation was very pleasant, so there is no reason for future JS1s to panic before or during the intervew. Just be prepared and you will be fine!

Syme

Postby Syme » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 pm

For those keeping track:

This most recent "batch" of JS1s started on 3/7 with reported interviews for me and vivacour. I haven't heard anything and I assume vivacour hasn't either. I also assume that JS2s will go out for the people caught in this batch of JS1s sometime midweek or later.

viacavour

Postby viacavour » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Syme wrote:For those keeping track:

This most recent "batch" of JS1s started on 3/7 with reported interviews for me and vivacour. I haven't heard anything and I assume vivacour hasn't either. I also assume that JS2s will go out for the people caught in this batch of JS1s sometime midweek or later.

I have not yet heard anything either. Worth remembering that Harvard is on Spring Break this week though so its possible that the admissions office is closed.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:06 pm

viacavour wrote:

I have not yet heard anything either. Worth remembering that Harvard is on Spring Break this week though so its possible that the admissions office is closed.

That's what I was thinking, but a few lines up people mentioned having JS1s today and throughout the week.

Syme

Postby Syme » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Elendil wrote:
viacavour wrote:

That's what I was thinking, but a few lines up people mentioned having JS1s this week (and throughout the week).

There are JS1s scheduled for today and tomorrow. It is clear that someone is home. This fact and recent JS calls on a Saturday and Sunday (!!!) suggest to me that Spring Break probably won't factor heavily in this timeline.

Not to mention - JS is probably feeling incredible pressure to get the class filled. It is late in the game and they are only at about 75% relative to same time last year.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Syme wrote:Not to mention - JS is probably feeling incredible pressure to get the class filled. It is late in the game and they are only at about 75% relative to same time last year.

Kinda misleading observation, imo. LSN acceptances is indeed at 75%, but there is also a 15% decrease in total number of applications. So who knows. Still I would want this to be true and JS to make an error of judgment under all that pressure and admit me.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Nevermind.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QueMellow

Postby QueMellow » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:
Syme wrote:Not to mention - JS is probably feeling incredible pressure to get the class filled. It is late in the game and they are only at about 75% relative to same time last year.

Kinda misleading observation, imo. LSN acceptances is indeed at 75%, but there is also a 15% decrease in total number of applications. So who knows. Still I would want this to be true and JS to make an error of judgment under all that pressure and admit me.

Well they're still going to admit the same number of applicants irregardless of the decline in the applicant pool, right? I don't see how the decrease would really mitigate her being behind in admitting people.

Right. Please let me in, Harvard!

Syme

Postby Syme » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:

I'll preface this by saying that, from what I can tell, you and I are soul brothers - dyed in the wool pessimists. But I disagree here.

If you're saying that the 15% reduction in apps could account for the disparity between the number of admits to this point and the same time last year, I'm not sure that makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think historical fluctuations in total number of applications have caused any significant increase/decrease in admitted class size. In other words, one shouldn't expect a 15% reduction in applications to translate into anything close to a 15% smaller admitted pool.

I suppose you could mean that a 15% smaller applicant pool accounts for their slower progress towards filling the class insofar as there are by definition fewer auto-admit/strong candidates. But that kind of makes my point. They are working harder than they usually have to to fill a class and maintain their desired medians. Couple this with the reality that JS started late and has been playing catch-up, and I don’t see how there couldn’t be pressure right now to plough through JS1s and JS2s and finish the job.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Syme wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

I'll preface this by saying that, from what I can tell, you and I are soul brothers - dyed in the wool pessimists. But I disagree here.

If you're saying that the 15% reduction in apps could account for the disparity between the number of admits to this point and the same time last year, I'm not sure that makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think historical fluctuations in total number of applications have caused any significant increase/decrease in admitted class size. In other words, one shouldn't expect a 15% reduction in applications to translate into anything close to a 15% smaller admitted pool.

I suppose you could mean that a 15% smaller applicant pool accounts for their slower progress towards filling the class insofar as there are by definition fewer auto-admit/strong candidates. But that kind of makes my point. They are working harder than they usually have to to fill a class and maintain their desired medians. Couple this with the reality that JS started late and has been playing catch-up, and I don’t see how there couldn’t be pressure right now to plough through JS1s and JS2s and finish the job.

No, my point was far simpler:

1000 applicants -> 100 LSN accounts -> 20 reported acceptances (%75 of which is 15)
850 applicants -> 85 LSN accounts -> 17 reported acceptances

The acceptances being at 15 (%75) does not necessarily mean that they are behind by 5 (optimistic, your original post), but by only 2 (still true, but less optimistic).

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm

This discussion looks familiar. Have we done this before in this very thread?

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Yay. Law fight on TLS 2 hours before my JS1 is scheduled. Excellent.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:43 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:This discussion looks familiar. Have we done this before in this very thread?

Probably, but using familiar tools to torture yourself is expected right? I mean, a new tool might get the job done, but why go there when you know ye-old-trusty does the job?

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Yay. Law fight on TLS 2 hours before my JS1 is scheduled. Excellent.

I think your definition of fight is way too broad if you are referring to what is going on in this thread.

zxcv22

Postby zxcv22 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:28 pm

To add further fuel to this fire, I went to the ASW last week and JS was definitely pregnant. I'm no good at guessing how far along someone is, but she surely has to be in the later stages (7+ months?). Judging by the KB/JS transition, I bet someone (KB?) will be able to pick up right where JS left off when it's time for her to go on leave. But that may happen sooner rather than later (of course, hopefully not until she's at a healthy 9 months and ready).

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm

zxcv22 wrote:To add further fuel to this fire, I went to the ASW last week and JS was definitely pregnant. I'm no good at guessing how far along someone is, but she surely has to be in the later stages (7+ months?). Judging by the KB/JS transition, I bet someone (KB?) will be able to pick up right where JS left off when it's time for her to go on leave. But that may happen sooner rather than later (of course, hopefully not until she's at a healthy 9 months and ready).

Well if she has 1-2 months to go, she'll be ok up to WL...

Syme

Postby Syme » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm

zxcv22 wrote:To add further fuel to this fire, I went to the ASW last week and JS was definitely pregnant.

ruh roh.
Last edited by Syme on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”