Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawguy2015

New

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by lawguy2015 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:52 am

Long time lurker here. I had my JS1 last week, but have yet to receive a decision. It seems some people who did the interview this week on Monday already heard back. Does anyone know if this is a bad sign or has this been happening more or less throughout the last few weeks? Any insight would be helpful for this helpless neurotic ;)

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 am

crystalized wrote:
brownpride wrote:10 minutes exactly. She didn't ask me anything about why Harvard or why the particular type of law, even though that was much of what I prepared. All she asked was:
- What I do at my current job
- Which of my undergrad extracurriculars would I look mostly fondly upon in the future and why?
- Whether I've considered working after undergrad before law school
- Why I'm applying to American schools and if I've thought about where I want to work post-law school (I'm Canadian)
- If I had any questions for her

Hope the above helps future JS1s. To echo the sentiments of other posters on this thread, she is super friendly, casual, and easy to talk to. It's really like a fun job interview with an interviewer only a few years older than you, and it did indeed go by super quick.

That being said, this was totally not what I was looking forward to. The questions she asked weren't conducive to me giving answers that were really representative of why I want to go to Harvard. But I guess we'll see what happens in a few days/weeks.

Best of luck to other JS1s!
Did you do most of the talking or did she? She only had three questions for me, and I feel like in the end she may have talked more than I did, which is probably not a good thing?

Congrats to the JS2s!!! It's only been two days since my JS1 and I already can't take it. Don't know how you lasted a week Byz, but congrats!
I wonder this too. I also was only given three questions, and she might have talked more than I did since I asked her 2 questions which she spent a decent amount of time answering. I am unsure whether it's a good thing or bad thing though to not be given that many questions. If she is unsure about you, but is giving you the JS1 anyways, don't you think she would have a lot of questions to clarify things that made her unsure about you? Conversely, if she IS sure about you, she might just ask a few basic questions just to get a sense of how you interact and make sure you're not completely socially stunted. Similarly, you could say that if she's sure about you, she might spend more time talking and trying to sell Harvard to you a bit than actually asking you stuff.

You could argue the opposite very easily though. I feel like it's probably silly to read too much into stuff like this, but I am curious if people who know more about the process than I do agree that it's silly to read into it

crystalized

New

Post by crystalized » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:49 am

lessthanjake wrote:
crystalized wrote:
brownpride wrote:10 minutes exactly. She didn't ask me anything about why Harvard or why the particular type of law, even though that was much of what I prepared. All she asked was:
- Which of my undergrad extracurriculars would I look mostly fondly upon in the future and why?
- Why I'm applying to American schools and if I've thought about where I want to work post-law school (I'm Canadian)

Hope the above helps future JS1s. To echo the sentiments of other posters on this thread, she is super friendly, casual, and easy to talk to. It's really like a fun job interview with an interviewer only a few years older than you, and it did indeed go by super quick.

That being said, this was totally not what I was looking forward to. The questions she asked weren't conducive to me giving answers that were really representative of why I want to go to Harvard. But I guess we'll see what happens in a few days/weeks.

Did you do most of the talking or did she? She only had three questions for me, and I feel like in the end she may have talked more than I did, which is probably not a good thing?

Congrats to the JS2s!!! It's only been two days since my JS1 and I already can't take it. Don't know how you lasted a week Byz, but congrats!
I wonder this too. I also was only given three questions, and she might have talked more than I did since I asked her 2 questions which she spent a decent amount of time answering. I am unsure whether it's a good thing or bad thing though to not be given that many questions. If she is unsure about you, but is giving you the JS1 anyways, don't you think she would have a lot of questions to clarify things that made her unsure about you? Conversely, if she IS sure about you, she might just ask a few basic questions just to get a sense of how you interact and make sure you're not completely socially stunted. Similarly, you could say that if she's sure about you, she might spend more time talking and trying to sell Harvard to you a bit than actually asking you stuff.

You could argue the opposite very easily though. I feel like it's probably silly to read too much into stuff like this, but I am curious if people who know more about the process than I do agree that it's silly to read into it
I think you and I had the same experience, where she ended up spending a decent amount of time answering our questions. I wondered afterward if I should have spent longer answering her questions since I am very succinct, but she was pretty rapid-fire which gave me the slight impression of impatience and that maybe I shouldn't go on and on. We did bond a little bit since I work in consulting and she used to work in consulting, but the chat overall was still a bit more awkward than I would have liked.
If I compare this to a "second round interview" of a consulting job, they usually try to start selling themselves to you at the end of the interview if they like you. She ended the call with a simple, "Our office will be in touch." What does that mean??? Agony.

Tim3155

New

Post by Tim3155 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 am

lawguy2015 wrote:Long time lurker here. I had my JS1 last week, but have yet to receive a decision. It seems some people who did the interview this week on Monday already heard back. Does anyone know if this is a bad sign or has this been happening more or less throughout the last few weeks? Any insight would be helpful for this helpless neurotic ;)
Hello fellow lurker,
I think the JS1-JS2 times have varied quite a bit--some people within a couple days, others a week or more, and of course there's all of us in the JS1-> held-the-next-week pile. If you're not held soon, I'd say that's a good sign.

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 am

lawguy2015 wrote:Long time lurker here. I had my JS1 last week, but have yet to receive a decision. It seems some people who did the interview this week on Monday already heard back. Does anyone know if this is a bad sign or has this been happening more or less throughout the last few weeks? Any insight would be helpful for this helpless neurotic ;)
I'm in the same place that you're at. The key thing for us will be to survive the hold wave which is surely coming today or tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am

captainwasabi09 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:

Right on captain!
I asked JS about why they haven't called my good friend Byzantine yet, she said the call is on the way :)
I know this is a lie but it still makes me feel better.

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 am

Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:

Right on captain!
I asked JS about why they haven't called my good friend Byzantine yet, she said the call is on the way :)
The call. It is coming today. And we will go eat sushi and I will buy you sake in Boston. You better be pumped because I am!

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

captainwasabi09 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:

Right on captain!
The call. It is coming today. And we will go eat sushi and I will buy you sake in Boston. You better be pumped because I am!
I am so there! Thanks Captain.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:33 pm

crystalized wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
crystalized wrote:

I think you and I had the same experience, where she ended up spending a decent amount of time answering our questions. I wondered afterward if I should have spent longer answering her questions since I am very succinct, but she was pretty rapid-fire which gave me the slight impression of impatience and that maybe I shouldn't go on and on. We did bond a little bit since I work in consulting and she used to work in consulting, but the chat overall was still a bit more awkward than I would have liked.
If I compare this to a "second round interview" of a consulting job, they usually try to start selling themselves to you at the end of the interview if they like you. She ended the call with a simple, "Our office will be in touch." What does that mean??? Agony.
With me, I did most of the talking because I wanted to elaborate a little. But she asked very little. At first I was worried, but now upon thought I feel like it's not a bad thing. My application made it quite clear what sort of background I had, what field of law I was interested in, etc. and showed consistency. I feel she didn't ask much because most stuff about me was evident from the app as it is. She might have asked some of the others more questions because she was less certain of what they wanted to do and why. Don't fret over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:JS2 in at HARVARD! Got the call at close to 7.
Hell YES!
JS1/JS2 twins!
Haha destiny buddy!
Withdrawing all other apps and going?
Definitely.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Congrats to you too Onthebrink!

lsatTakerguy

New

Post by lsatTakerguy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:03 pm

"missing application fee"

just came up yesterday even though I submitted a fee waiver, which their office confirmed receipt of but has not processed.

y they gotta make a po' man wait?

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Well this is weird. I just got an "Application Complete" email this morning saying they had all my stuff and all. What's weird is that I've been "File Under Review" on my status checker since 2/22, and they haven't updated anything with that email aside from the mailings section.

Anyone else had it happen in a weird order like that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Same thing happened with me. I don't think it's out of the ordinary.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

jd5 wrote:Same thing happened with me. I don't think it's out of the ordinary.
Me too. Don't worry about it, doesn't really mean anything.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Yeah that's how it has been for everyone--they send the complete email about a week after your status checker changes. Not really sure why. Good luck!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Well at least now that it is 1 month after the application deadline, we can expect a decrease in the amount of "I went complete after being under a review, does this mean anything?" posts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Well at least now that it is 1 month after the application deadline, we can expect a decrease in the amount of "I went complete after being under a review, does this mean anything?" posts.
Hah sorry, I've been following this thread intermittently at best. I went back a dozen or so pages and couldn't find anything on it so I naturally figured Harvard was so blown away by my application that they just forgot to send the email on time.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:00 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:Well at least now that it is 1 month after the application deadline, we can expect a decrease in the amount of "I went complete after being under a review, does this mean anything?" posts.
Hah sorry, I've been following this thread intermittently at best. I went back a dozen or so pages and couldn't find anything on it so I naturally figured Harvard was so blown away by my application that they just forgot to send the email on time.
Np, its just that I have been through 2 H application cycles with things happening around same times, around same amount of time, so it got kinda old. Its only normal to try to look for the tiniest bit of information regarding something as important as an application to H.

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:37 pm

It's quiet today. Too quiet.

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Time for some mindless prognostication!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/images/d ... arvard.jpg

Where do you think this cycle is relative to the one linked above? Lagging behind (more offers to be made) or running ahead (fewer offers to be made)?

Someone predicted earlier in this thread that H is holding URM apps for mutual consideration later in the process. Do you buy that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Syme wrote:Time for some mindless prognostication!

Where do you think this cycle is relative to the one linked above? Lagging behind (more offers to be made) or running ahead (fewer offers to be made)?

Someone predicted earlier in this thread that H is holding URM apps for mutual consideration later in the process. Do you buy that?
On LSN there are only 7 URM acceptances so far - 1 or 2 of which are blatantly fake, and another that is questionable. They've definitely got room for more URM's... thats my take on it anyways

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Syme wrote:Time for some mindless prognostication!

It's gotta be "behind" given the turnover in admissions staff. I think we still got that mini-admit spike coming in the next week or so. Still, that graph paints a grim picture.

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Byzantine wrote: ... that graph paints a grim picture.
I'LL SAY.

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Syme wrote:
Byzantine wrote: ... that graph paints a grim picture.
I'LL SAY.
If you want to see some really rough reading, go look at the holds thread from last year. It rivals a couple of Cormac McCarthy books.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”