Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
erinbecca

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby erinbecca » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Last edited by erinbecca on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onthebrink

Postby Onthebrink » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:JS1 Email! under review 1/11, complete 1/19. Woo what a relief! I too would like tips on what to expect

I'll PM when I get on something better than my phone. And congratulations btw!!!!

Byzantine, if you could count me in on that I would be forever in your debt and would provide you with a drink at the first available opportunity haha.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:31 pm

erinbecca wrote:...JS2.

I'm in a state of shock. My Friday afternoon productivity just went flying out the window.

Congrats!!!! Go have a drink or 7 :)

flavoredtootsie

Postby flavoredtootsie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 pm

JS2! :)

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Onthebrink wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:JS1 Email! under review 1/11, complete 1/19. Woo what a relief! I too would like tips on what to expect

I'll PM when I get on something better than my phone. And congratulations btw!!!!

Byzantine, if you could count me in on that I would be forever in your debt and would provide you with a drink at the first available opportunity haha.

Alright got you on my list! Congrats.

captainwasabi09

Postby captainwasabi09 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 am

Byzantine wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:
Byzantine wrote:

Alright got you on my list! Congrats.

Thank you B-man!

Edited to add: I, too, will buy you a drink. But only after I turn 21 haha.
Last edited by captainwasabi09 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

coloradokid10

Postby coloradokid10 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster here. I'm kind of wondering what I should think about where I'm at in the process right now and wanted to get feedback from all of you since, through reading this board, it has become clear that I have no idea what I'm doing :P.

I've been complete and under review since 1/3 and haven't heard a peep since. I know that there has been some pretty significant movement on apps that completed after my date, which I assume means I've been passed over for the time being. My LSAT is below the median (high 160's) and my GPA is a little above (3.95). I do have some good softs (a pretty lame makeup for the LSAT, I know) and I'm pretty non-traditional school wise (I'm graduating with my BA at 18. However, I'm assuming that, if that even enters into the decision calculus, it will be in a negative way). I was honestly expecting an auto-reject and only applied because of family. Should I be treating this like a hold at this point? Is there anything I should do on my end (LOCI etc.)? Or should I just sit tight and continue to assume a reject until I see something that indicates otherwise?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who's been accepted or got an interview!

jlc141

Postby jlc141 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:35 am

Byzantine wrote:
jlc141 wrote:JS2! So excited, good luck to everyone else!

kingofspain wrote:JS2!!!

Sorry everyone else about your holds but AHHHHHHH I'm super excited and am going to go call everyone I know!!

Date of JS1s?

JS1 on 2/22. Wasn't expecting to hear back so quickly and almost went into cardiac arrest when I saw a call come in from a 617 number

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:41 am

coloradokid10 wrote:I was honestly expecting an auto-reject and only applied because of family. Should I be treating this like a hold at this point? Is there anything I should do on my end (LOCI etc.)? Or should I just sit tight and continue to assume a reject until I see something that indicates otherwise?

Don't get yourself in over your head in pursuing something that you may not be as passionate about. Assume, nothing until you hear back; around this neck of the woods it is known that no news should be taken as good news some times. Best of luck!

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:18 am

PopTorts13 wrote:
coloradokid10 wrote:I was honestly expecting an auto-reject and only applied because of family. Should I be treating this like a hold at this point? Is there anything I should do on my end (LOCI etc.)? Or should I just sit tight and continue to assume a reject until I see something that indicates otherwise?

Don't get yourself in over your head in pursuing something that you may not be as passionate about. Assume, nothing until you hear back; around this neck of the woods it is known that no news should be taken as good news some times. Best of luck!

lol wut

KRog

Postby KRog » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:27 am

seanPtheB wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:

lol wut

seanPtheB, are you lol wutting PopTorts? We all love PopTorts around here!

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 pm

KRog wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:

lol wut

Ha yea I am. Sorry but that bolded comment needed it.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 pm

KRog wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:

lol wut

Is it not legitimate to think that being 18 and making a decision based on a family's wants rather than your own is not always a good decision? Just looking out for the kid, that is all.

Also, love the Bob Ross, as I am an artist myself!

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Haha come on now it's an application to Harvard..... Is it that since he wasn't passionate enough to apply without being urged to by his family he's gonna be completely miserable there? I think you're just trying to force advice on a "kid."

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:01 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Haha come on now it's an application to Harvard..... Is it that since he wasn't passionate enough to apply without being urged to by his family he's gonna be completely miserable there? I think you're just trying to force advice on a "kid."

He or she could very well be miserable attending law school anywhere, not just Harvard. Attending law school is a step towards a career in law; perhaps they aren't entirely interested in law or know very little about it and decided to apply to schools through their parent's discretion. This happens often and then people hate where they are at and feel obligated to finish because of the debt and time they had already invested. They may be brilliant, but that doesn't mean law school or Harvard is the best decision for them.

Didn't realize looking out for someone's best intentions was frowned upon. Just because someone has the credentials to apply somewhere doesn't necessarily mean it is something that they will want to do. :roll:

coloradokid10

Postby coloradokid10 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Haha thanks for the advice guys, but I think the phrasing was just unclear. I only applied to Harvard specifically because my family wanted me to, I applied to law school in general (including a lot of top schools) because I do want to pursue a career in law. I didn't feel like I had a good shot at Harvard because of my numbers and didn't want to waste the money on the fee, but my family encouraged me to throw the app out there anyway and just see what happens since that was the goal prior to getting the LSAT scores back. Apparently I wasn't an auto-reject so it would seem they had a better feel for the situation than I did anyway. I guess I'll just keep playing the waiting game and see what happens... Good luck to all of you :)

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:27 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Haha come on now it's an application to Harvard..... Is it that since he wasn't passionate enough to apply without being urged to by his family he's gonna be completely miserable there? I think you're just trying to force advice on a "kid."

He or she could very well be miserable attending law school anywhere, not just Harvard. Attending law school is a step towards a career in law; perhaps they aren't entirely interested in law or know very little about it and decided to apply to schools through their parent's discretion. This happens often and then people hate where they are at and feel obligated to finish because of the debt and time they had already invested. They may be brilliant, but that doesn't mean law school or Harvard is the best decision for them.

Didn't realize looking out for someone's best intentions was frowned upon. Just because someone has the credentials to apply somewhere doesn't necessarily mean it is something that they will want to do. :roll:

You're throwing out all of these "maybes" after the person said they applied to Harvard because their family urged them to. Let's be realistic-they weren't going to apply because they scored in the 160's on the lsat, not because they thought going to Harvard would be a bad life move for them. Just stop trying to make this something it's not.

Edit: Scooped by the OP himself because I was struggling with a reply to such silly thinking.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Poptorts -> Fighting the good fight, trying to get people in held list give up, one person at a time.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 pm

coloradokid10 wrote:Haha thanks for the advice guys, but I think the phrasing was just unclear. I only applied to Harvard specifically because my family wanted me to, I applied to law school in general (including a lot of top schools) because I do want to pursue a career in law. I didn't feel like I had a good shot at Harvard because of my numbers and didn't want to waste the money on the fee, but my family encouraged me to throw the app out there anyway and just see what happens since that was the goal prior to getting the LSAT scores back. Apparently I wasn't an auto-reject so it would seem they had a better feel for the situation than I did anyway. I guess I'll just keep playing the waiting game and see what happens... Good luck to all of you :)

So you do have a sincere interest in law, then more power to you! I didn't want to leave any rocks un-turned as I know many people that attended law school without a sincere interest and more so because their parents urged them towards it. To not address such, I felt would be an injustice to yourself.

SeanPB, surely you saw the possibility of an applicant applying under their parents direct will and that my intentions were of good nature? If not, you really need to put life into perspective. Nonetheless, I am glad you're correct.

Colorado"KID", best of luck and I would anticipate a response from JS in the near future regarding an interview or possibly a hold; there seems to be a lot of us swimming in the hold pool these days!

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Poptorts -> Fighting the good fight, trying to get people in held list give up, one person at a time.

I'm not that clever, but I'll take the credit if need be :lol:

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:58 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
coloradokid10 wrote:Haha thanks for the advice guys, but I think the phrasing was just unclear. I only applied to Harvard specifically because my family wanted me to, I applied to law school in general (including a lot of top schools) because I do want to pursue a career in law. I didn't feel like I had a good shot at Harvard because of my numbers and didn't want to waste the money on the fee, but my family encouraged me to throw the app out there anyway and just see what happens since that was the goal prior to getting the LSAT scores back. Apparently I wasn't an auto-reject so it would seem they had a better feel for the situation than I did anyway. I guess I'll just keep playing the waiting game and see what happens... Good luck to all of you :)

So you do have a sincere interest in law, then more power to you! I didn't want to leave any rocks un-turned as I know many people that attended law school without a sincere interest and more so because their parents urged them towards it. To not address such, I felt would be an injustice to yourself.

SeanPB, surely you saw the possibility of an applicant applying under their parents direct will and that my intentions were of good nature? If not, you really need to put life into perspective. Nonetheless, I am glad you're correct.

Colorado"KID", best of luck and I would anticipate a response from JS in the near future regarding an interview or possibly a hold; there seems to be a lot of us swimming in the hold pool these days!

Of course I see that possibility, I'm just saying taking someone applying to Harvard with a 16x because their parents urged them to and thinking that could very well mean they were pressured into applying to law schools at all is just a bit of a stretch. That's all.

Oh, and Nulli has TCR anyways.

coloradokid10

Postby coloradokid10 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:01 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:

I definitely appreciate the concern and with the way I phrased the initial post I can totally see where you're coming from. I've heard a lot of the same sort of stories and I'm just fortunate that I have parents that haven't pressured me on really any of my significant life decisions.

Thanks! The wait is a killer, but I guess there's really no way around that :P. Best of luck to you as well :)

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25 am

Alright let's start the wagering! Is anything going to happen today?

I'll go out on a limb and say there will be a wintery mix of holds, JS2s, and rejects.

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:29 am

captainwasabi09 wrote:
Thank you B-man!

plz tell me you'll be 21 before this fall. You're making me feel ancient.

captainwasabi09

Postby captainwasabi09 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:
Thank you B-man!

plz tell me you'll be 21 before this fall. You're making me feel ancient.

Don't worry, I turn 21 a couple of days before I graduate. You will get your drink! I feel like a baby anyway.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”