Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tempur_three

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby tempur_three » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
chapmaco wrote:Hmmm... I was UR 12/20, Complete 1/5, and haven't heard anything since... is that a reject?

Historically, about 90% of applicants in the same situation got rejected.

Nulli, history doesn't necessarily repeat itself. This cycle is different. Last year I've had friends who have applied in December and got word by now; it's not the same this year because of various reasons (ie smaller applicant pool, quota is not met yet, etc). I'm confident in this partially because I graduated from Harvard, which helps in "finding out" about certain things. Stop being a pessimist and let people wait for their KB1s.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 pm

tempur_three wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:
chapmaco wrote:Hmmm... I was UR 12/20, Complete 1/5, and haven't heard anything since... is that a reject?

Nulli, history doesn't necessarily repeat itself. This cycle is different. Last year I've had friends who have applied in December and got word by now; it's not the same this year because of various reasons (ie smaller applicant pool, quota is not met yet, etc). I'm confident in this partially because I graduated from Harvard, which helps in "finding out" about certain things. Stop being a pessimist and let people wait for their KB1s.

Edit - understand better now
Last edited by 46nyc on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aekea

Postby aekea » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm

tempur_three wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

He wasn't being pessimistic. Harvard only accepts around 10% of those who apply. I think Nulli was trying to make the point that the situation means nothing and is just normal.

tempur_three

Postby tempur_three » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:06 pm

aekea wrote:
tempur_three wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

He wasn't being pessimistic. Harvard only accepts around 10% of those who apply. I think Nulli was trying to make the point that the situation means nothing and is just normal.

OK, well if that's what he meant, he could have said it that way, instead of having us "think" what he meant. Regardless, this cycle is different, and to the poster who expressed concern about not hearing back yet after going complete 1/5: do not be concerned, just wait and be optimistic.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 pm

aekea wrote:He wasn't being pessimistic. Harvard only accepts around 10% of those who apply. I think Nulli was trying to make the point that the situation means nothing and is just normal.

--ImageRemoved--

ETA: And, no, I do not think I have an obligation to be direct on an internet forum, especially when I encounter the exact same situation 2 posts after whining about people not reading and asking the same questions over and over.

tempur_three

Postby tempur_three » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
aekea wrote:He wasn't being pessimistic. Harvard only accepts around 10% of those who apply. I think Nulli was trying to make the point that the situation means nothing and is just normal.

--ImageRemoved--

ETA: And, no, I do not think I have an obligation to be direct on an internet forum, especially when I encounter the exact same situation 2 posts after whining about people not reading and asking the same questions over and over.

You certainly don't have an obligation, but it also doesn't make for an appealing personality. I don't see the problem of being direct consistently, unless you have difficulty abstaining from not explaining things clearly multiple times. I'm not looking to attack you either. People genuinely worry about not hearing back from an application, so I think it'd be more genuine just to give them the support they need.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:46 pm

tempur_three wrote:You certainly don't have an obligation, but it also doesn't make for an appealing personality. I don't see the problem of being direct consistently, unless you have difficulty abstaining from not explaining things clearly multiple times. I'm not looking to attack you either. People genuinely worry about not hearing back from an application, so I think it'd be more genuine just to give them the support they need.

You can spend all your waking hours consoling people worrying about things that were time and again explained as insignificant within the very thread they are posting in. All I expect from people is to read the thread, at least the page they are posting on, since the exact same issue was brought up 2 posts before his. And people employ different methods to convey their messages, I usually use sarcasm, however the intended severity of sarcasm is not easily deducible given the medium, therefore, sometimes, misunderstandings happen.

phx

Postby phx » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:27 pm

tempur_three wrote:

Can you elaborate a little more? Also, what quota isn't met yet?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:29 pm

tempur_three's avatar serves him well

chapmaco

Postby chapmaco » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
tempur_three wrote:You certainly don't have an obligation, but it also doesn't make for an appealing personality. I don't see the problem of being direct consistently, unless you have difficulty abstaining from not explaining things clearly multiple times. I'm not looking to attack you either. People genuinely worry about not hearing back from an application, so I think it'd be more genuine just to give them the support they need.

You can spend all your waking hours consoling people worrying about things that were time and again explained as insignificant within the very thread they are posting in. All I expect from people is to read the thread, at least the page they are posting on, since the exact same issue was brought up 2 posts before his. And people employ different methods to convey their messages, I usually use sarcasm, however the intended severity of sarcasm is not easily deducible given the medium, therefore, sometimes, misunderstandings happen.

The exact same issue? The guy quoted 2 posts before me never even had a complete date. I'd hardly call that 'exactly the same'. And no, I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to wade through a hundred pages of posts to look for the answer to a specific question that may or may not be there, when I know there are plenty of helpful, knowledgeable people who read this thread frequently and would be happy to take 5 seconds to help me out.

Parmenides

Postby Parmenides » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:41 pm

I enjoyed the joke, and that should be justification enough.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:49 pm

chapmaco wrote:
The exact same issue? The guy quoted 2 posts before me never even had a complete date. I'd hardly call that 'exactly the same'. And no, I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to wade through a hundred pages of posts to look for the answer to a specific question that may or may not be there, when I know there are plenty of helpful, knowledgeable people who read this thread frequently and would be happy to take 5 seconds to help me out.

He went UR 2 days after you, 26 days passed since you went complete and you assume his application never went complete because he did not write the complete date. Solid reasoning skills there :)

ETA: Even on your status checker page, it says the decision can take up to 2 months after the complete date (which is optimistic btw, been more than 3 months for me). So, ok, do not read the thread, but what makes you think your hopes may need severe downward adjustment a month before the stated deadline?

chapmaco

Postby chapmaco » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
chapmaco wrote:

He went UR 2 days after you, 26 days passed since you went complete and you assume his application never went complete because he did not write the complete date. Solid reasoning skills there :)

Heh... ummm he said, and I quote "U/R since 12/22 and haven't heard a thing". I don't assume he never went complete because he didn't write the date, I assume he didn't go complete because that would constitute 'hearing a thing'. Solid reasoning skills? And no, I am not magically privy to knowledge regarding whether Harvard always gives people with similar U/R dates similar complete dates.

chapmaco

Postby chapmaco » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
chapmaco wrote:ETA: Even on your status checker page, it says the decision can take up to 2 months after the complete date (which is optimistic btw, been more than 3 months for me). So, ok, do not read the thread, but what makes you think your hopes may need severe downward adjustment a month before the stated deadline?

Well, I guess the decisions date chart and I feel like I've read people talking about mostly getting KB1's shortly after or around the time of complete date. But you know, it was still a question, just phrased pessimistically.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:06 pm

chapmaco wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:
chapmaco wrote:ETA: Even on your status checker page, it says the decision can take up to 2 months after the complete date (which is optimistic btw, been more than 3 months for me). So, ok, do not read the thread, but what makes you think your hopes may need severe downward adjustment a month before the stated deadline?

Well, I guess the decisions date chart and I feel like I've read people talking about mostly getting KB1's shortly after or around the time of complete date. But you know, it was still a question, just phrased pessimistically.

Just like Yale and pretty much every other school I guess, Harvard chooses some people as auto-admits and races to schedule an interview with them as soon after their applications are received as humanely possible. Not hearing within a few weeks means you are not in this category IF your application date is at the latest early November. After this date, Harvard starts piling all applications together until the application deadline and when the entirety of the applicant pool is known, starts rendering decisions regarding these people. So, not hearing anything with a late December UR is not only normal but also expected (going UR some days before Christmas). There may still be people hearing news during this period, and you should assume they co-authored the article explaining the cure for cancer currently being peer-reviewed and therefore should not dwell on it.

boosk

Postby boosk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm

man, this internet stuff is serious business

chapmaco

Postby chapmaco » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:13 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
chapmaco wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:

Just like Yale and pretty much every other school I guess, Harvard chooses some people as auto-admits and races to schedule an interview with them as soon after their applications are received as humanely possible. Not hearing within a few weeks means you are not in this category IF your application date is at the latest early November. After this date, Harvard starts piling all applications together until the application deadline and when the entirety of the applicant pool is known, starts rendering decisions regarding these people. So, not hearing anything with a late December UR is not only normal but also expected (going UR some days before Christmas). There may still be people hearing news during this period, and you should assume they co-authored the article explaining the cure for cancer currently being peer-reviewed and therefore should not dwell on it.

Gotcha. Thx :)

jd5

Postby jd5 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 pm

phx wrote:
tempur_three wrote:

Bump this question. URM quotas or target LSAT/GPA medians and 25/75 percentile? Both?

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:22 pm

To go back to the debate Nulli and someone else are leading... What is the latest submission date that has received any kind of decision? I don't think I've seen anyone with a December submission (but I may be wrong). Anyone know?

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:37 pm

hypothalamus wrote:To go back to the debate Nulli and someone else are leading... What is the latest submission date that has received any kind of decision? I don't think I've seen anyone with a December submission (but I may be wrong). Anyone know?

I submitted 12/4 and heard back a few weeks ago

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm

jd5 wrote:
phx wrote:
tempur_three wrote:

Bump this question. URM quotas or target LSAT/GPA medians and 25/75 percentile? Both?

From LSN info it seems as though URM "quota" isn't even close to being filled. Although I can't comment on the other parameters without more extensively looking into LSN.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:07 pm

nametaken wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:To go back to the debate Nulli and someone else are leading... What is the latest submission date that has received any kind of decision? I don't think I've seen anyone with a December submission (but I may be wrong). Anyone know?

I submitted 12/4 and heard back a few weeks ago

Great! So so far you're the latest applicant who I know has heard back :)

tempur_three

Postby tempur_three » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:38 pm

thederangedwang wrote:tempur_three's avatar serves him well

I just don't like when people are jerks or condescending in a trite way.

tempur_three

Postby tempur_three » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:40 pm

boosk wrote:man, this internet stuff is serious business

It sure is ;)

tempur_three

Postby tempur_three » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:43 pm

phx wrote:
tempur_three wrote:

PM me if you'd like, but I don't have any special knowledge that hasn't been suggested in this thread.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”