Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mickeyD

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby mickeyD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Some notable LSN profiles from yesterday's bloodbath:

Campagnolo: 3.7/171
Lawanddevelopment: 3.85/170
raj: 3.98/170
HawkeyePierce: 3.86/173
spi: 3.81/176

...KB isn't playing around :(

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:40 pm

mickeyD wrote:Some notable LSN profiles from yesterday's bloodbath:

Lol. the mood in this thread is seriously bad this week. Hopefully some more acceptances next week to pick it up a bit.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:20 pm

snehpets wrote:

Lol. the mood in this thread is seriously bad this week. Hopefully some more acceptances next week to pick it up a bit.

Haha true, I'm definitely being a mood-killer. With all the people in this thread with great stats I'm sure we''ll hear some good news for a lot of people soon.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:22 pm

mickeyD wrote:
snehpets wrote:

Haha true, I'm definitely being a mood-killer. With all the people in this thread with great stats I'm sure we''ll hear some good news for a lot of people soon.

Nah I didn't mean it in a "stop being grumpy!" way, just in a "it's sad that everyone is so morose way." I'm the most negative person on earth, so no worries :)

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:27 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Application sent on Nov 22nd
complete Dec 13th
Under review Dec 22nd
NO KB1

STATS: GPA 3.99 LSAT 174
2 years of work experience.
Strong softs and at the very least good LORs

I was feeling okay about things but the lack of kb1 and the recent rejections make me feel as though I'm in a boat with a minor leak in it, stranded in the middle of the ocean.

Damn Jaws, stop circling me and just end it already :?

With those stats, it seems bizarre that you wouldn't get in...so far, there have been a lot of admits with ~4.0/172-174, right?

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Zelda wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:For all of us waiting for holds, WLs, KB1s, and KB2s...does anyone want to create a list of all the stats of people were accepted, people who had KB1s but no KB2s, and people who have gotten rejected?

Or is there already a list of this at LSN? I have yet to jump on the LSN bandwagon...

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... &order=asc

Here you will at least be able to see the list of accepted/rejected and those still waiting. I don't think there is any way to search on LSN for those who has KB1s and no KB2s.

The only thing I think is worth mentioning is a lot of people alter their numbers a little bit so adcoms wouldn't be able to identify them (and see their entire cycle).

This still should be pretty useful though.

This is EXTREMELY useful. I'm happy to see that no one with a 173+/3.9x has been rejected so far, at least according to LSN numbers.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:36 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
complete Dec 13th
Under review Dec 22nd
NO KB1

I was feeling okay about things but the lack of kb1 and the recent rejections make me feel as though I'm in a boat with a minor leak in it, stranded in the middle of the ocean.

Under review Dec. 22nd? You realize that wasn’t even a month ago, right? K, just checking.

yeah, Poptorts, actually, I didn't notice that. You and I went complete around the same time, and I got a KB1, BUT I suspect there were a lot of people that will be notified of KB1s early next week! Stay positive. If your stats are real (and if the trend on LSN is correct), it seems you're headed for at least a KB1.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:59 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:
complete Dec 13th
Under review Dec 22nd
NO KB1

Under review Dec. 22nd? You realize that wasn’t even a month ago, right? K, just checking.

Fingers Crossed!

yeah, Poptorts, actually, I didn't notice that. You and I went complete around the same time, and I got a KB1, BUT I suspect there were a lot of people that will be notified of KB1s early next week! Stay positive. If your stats are real (and if the trend on LSN is correct), it seems you're headed for at least a KB1.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Raj's denial disturbs me the most. She was accepted at Stanford/full ride at UVa, so she probably has high-quality softs.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm more shocked about spi and HP. The former is a traditional splitter with a gpa above the floor and the latter has median numbers for gpa AND LSAT. I don't understand why they aren't at least wait listed or held.

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 pm

below/at 25% for both GPA and median. Applied end of september . Have not heard anything

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Curious1 wrote:I'm more shocked about spi and HP. The former is a traditional splitter with a gpa above the floor and the latter has median numbers for gpa AND LSAT. I don't understand why they aren't at least wait listed or held.

You are right, their numbers are better. Raj's numbers just match mine exactly, which is why the disturb me the worst.

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Perdevise wrote:
Curious1 wrote:I'm more shocked about spi and HP. The former is a traditional splitter with a gpa above the floor and the latter has median numbers for gpa AND LSAT. I don't understand why they aren't at least wait listed or held.

You are right, their numbers are better. Raj's numbers just match mine exactly, which is why the disturb me the worst.

Honestly, the applications that are at median or above are the ones that worry me the least. If anything, if someone has the numbers that were good the last few years and still does not get in this year, that's more of a sign with a problem with those particular application. You should only be disturbed by numbers if you are a borderline candidate and people with gpas similar to your situation are being turned away. For example, if you have a gpa lower than ideal for harvard, if harvard kept dinging people with good enough those less than ideal gpas but with perfectly good lsat scorers, that should cause you to be alarmed. Look, law school isn't all about the numbers. For people who had "good" numbers for Harvard, like i said, it's likely they didn't like something about those applications.

Onthebrink

Postby Onthebrink » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 pm

171 3.99 and at this point I recognize it is a Hail Mary but there is a reason it is in the playbook right?

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Onthebrink wrote:171 3.99 and at this point I recognize it is a Hail Mary but there is a reason it is in the playbook right?

i think you have a decent shot.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:06 pm

I was discussing this with a friend of mine.

Not to offend anyone but cases where someone with great numbers (>3.8 and >174) gets rejected from H/Y/S and gets accepted to CCN down or MVP down with a good scholarship COULD be an indicator that the their application was not spectacular/great. (the whole numbers are not everything for law school debate)

If I was an adcomm for Virginia and I saw an applicant with great numbers but not so great an application, I could conclude that he/she would likely not get into H/Y/S. But in order to help my stats and get a fairly good applicant, I would accept that applicant with a scholarship knowing I will be competing with other T7-T10 (maybe T4-T10) schools. Adcomms know what makes a great app and although not every school has the same requirements they can estimate where a candidate would get accepted, thats why some schools YP.

I am not saying that those who didn't get into Harvard did not have well-rounded or great applications, Raj is a case that kinda disproves the speculation. It was just something that was thrown around at the dinner table. You are all free to correct me if I am wrong.

I really do wish schools could tell you what was wrong with your app when you get rejected especially when people have great numbers (i know is unfeasible though). The lack of info does not help applicants if they choose to reapply.

Again this is all SPECULATION...something we discussed as we waited for our ding email (that didn't come to our surprise).

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:14 pm

sharktankdean wrote:I was discussing this with a friend of mine.

Not to offend anyone but cases where someone with great numbers (>3.8 and >174) gets rejected from H/Y/S and gets accepted to CCN down or MVP down with a good scholarship COULD be an indicator that the their application was not spectacular/great. (the whole numbers are not everything for law school debate)

If I was an adcomm for Virginia and I saw an applicant with great numbers but not so great an application, I could conclude that he/she would likely not get into H/Y/S. But in order to help my stats and get a fairly good applicant, I would accept that applicant with a scholarship knowing I will be competing with other T7-T10 (maybe T4-T10) schools. Adcomms know what makes a great app and although not every school has the same requirements they can estimate where a candidate would get accepted, thats why some schools YP.

I am not saying that those who didn't get into Harvard did not have well-rounded or great applications, Raj is a case that kinda disproves the speculation. It was just something that was thrown around at the dinner table. You are all free to correct me if I am wrong.

I really do wish schools could tell you what was wrong with your app when you get rejected especially when people have great numbers (i know is unfeasible though). The lack of info does not help applicants if they choose to reapply.

Again this is all SPECULATION...something we discussed as we waited for our ding email (that didn't come to our surprise).

No it does not. Raj has a high GPA but a (relatively) low lsat. It is not at all surprising Raj got rejected from HLS but accepted at SLS (where there is heavy emphasis on GPA). So far, imho, the only applicant that has been rejected so far that is somewhat surprising is Hawkeye...other than that, I really see no surprises so far.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

No it does not. Raj has a high GPA but a (relatively) low lsat. It is not at all surprising Raj got rejected from HLS but accepted at SLS (where there is heavy emphasis on GPA). So far, imho, the only applicant that has been rejected so far that is somewhat surprising is Hawkeye...other than that, I really see no surprises so far.

I think it does come down to Raj's LSAT. I meant disturbed as in I am worried for myself, because she matches me. In the grand scheme of things its not unusual for us to not make it.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:28 pm

ok cool. for some reason i thought Raj (i'm sorry that I keep using you as an example) had a high lsat and gpa.

The shocking thing was when I went on lsn and saw that a URM with a 3.75/166 got rejected...but her profile says she is cuban. Also the other URM with 3.62/162, though these are not auto-admit numbers I didn't think he would be flat out rejected in the first round. From looking through past Harvard threads and lsn cycles, Harvard usually waits till some time in February/March before they decide on borderline URMs.

KB may or may not be doing things differently this time around.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:01 am

sharktankdean wrote:KB may or may not be doing things differently this time around.

Woman loves her high GPAs this time around.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:17 am

Can someone post what the rejection email says? I want to prepare myself emotionally.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 am

mickeyD wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:KB may or may not be doing things differently this time around.

Seems that way from early numbers. I think I'm the only traditional splitter (my LSAC GPA was just a shade BELOW 3.7) to have gotten in so far. But maybe I was slightly helped by coming from a top 3 UG.

Reverse splitters seem to be benefiting this year--exactly the opposite of what was predicted in the "Drop in test-takers" thread. Perhaps we will see more splitter love later in the cycle?

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 am

Curious1 wrote:
mickeyD wrote:

Seems that way from early numbers. I think I'm the only traditional splitter (my LSAC GPA was just a shade BELOW 3.7) to have gotten in so far. But maybe I was slightly helped by coming from a top 3 UG.

Reverse splitters seem to be benefiting this year--exactly the opposite of what was predicted in the "Drop in test-takers" thread. Perhaps we will see more splitter love later in the cycle?

How do we tell our LSAC GPA? I think what was on my application was identical to what was on my transcripts...or am I not looking in the right place? My UG was mediocre, but I only got one A- my entire schooling, and my school doesn't allow any grade above 4.0. Would they lower my GPA due to not having gone to a top 10/top 50? Or is it mostly to account for schools that dish out A+'s (4.5's) for some courses?

Was your LSAC GPA very different from your actual?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:13 am

Log onto your lsac account and click on "view academic summary report" to see your lsac gpa.

It may or may not be different, all depends on your courses and grading system

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:44 am

thederangedwang wrote:

Deranged, I'm assuming you're just talking about people on TLS? Beause there's also a 176/3.81 on lsn that was dinged. They could of course have something else very detrimental to their app (and really they probably do).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”