Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rotaxkarter

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby rotaxkarter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:52 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Would these concerns apply to Canadian applicants as well? Canadians are in a slightly different situation from other internationals (English fluency, numerical GPA, differences in visa requirements), so I'm wondering if we're still judged according to those tougher standards as well.

I don't know, but following my usual practice I will answer anyway. :wink:

I had previously thought that Canadians would be judged much more like US applicants, for the reasons you mention, but the only other pre-Thanksgiving KB1/no-KB2er I know of is Canadian, and there are at least two of you on this thread with very good numbers but no KB1s yet (which might not sound like many, but is probably a very high proportion of the Canadians on this thread). I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years looking for data on international applicants, but I usually ignore Canadians.

On my understanding, you do still need to get work visas (even if that is easier), can't get US government loans (which might affect yield), and would need to present good reasons for wanting a US JD.

Thanks for the responses guys. UG in Canada, guess this isn't looking too good lol...this not-so-good information has put me at ease. Where I once thought I had a chance is now looking rough. Strangely though, this has actually put me in a better place, guess I've been a bit too stressed :).

Anyone else on here also a Canadian and did/doing their UG in Canada?
Last edited by rotaxkarter on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rotaxkarter

Postby rotaxkarter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:58 am

Curious1 wrote:I'm a Canadian with a us ug. Kb2 came 6 days after kb1. This is anecdotal evidence that Canadians educated in the us are treated the same?

From the posts on page 89, this would seem to be the case...Now I'm wishing I was educated in the US lol...

ds.princess

Postby ds.princess » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:27 am

i hope US UG makes a difference...
does anyone know how important softs are for harvard?

my numbers are below median so i'm slightly worried... but my softs are pretty strong. Would that maybe (hopefully) bring me a (potential) KB2?

tng11

Postby tng11 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 am

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 am

wphr wrote:
Lily Pad wrote:KB1!!!! UR 12/12, just went complete today (12/22). Definitely borderline numbers for Harvard and non-URM, I could not be more surprised and thrilled!!!

omg congrats. same for me. UR 12/12 and complete 12/22 except i don't have a KB1... should i be worrying.............:c

I am in the exact same boat! Here is to hoping that our group receives a wave of KB1 e-mails. I thought that both of my numbers being well over the top 75% would bate me a KB1. Fingers crossed for you ladies/gents. Does anyone know when Harvard Law's Admissions office closes for a winter break? Best of luck!
Last edited by PopTorts13 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:50 am

Elendil wrote:Congratulations to all of today's KB2s! Though I have to admit I'm getting a little down... I went UR early December, complete shortly after, and still haven't heard anything... :?

Ditto.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:59 am

PopTorts13 wrote:
wphr wrote:
Lily Pad wrote:KB1!!!! UR 12/12, just went complete today (12/22). Definitely borderline numbers for Harvard and non-URM, I could not be more surprised and thrilled!!!

omg congrats. same for me. UR 12/12 and complete 12/22 except i don't have a KB1... should i be worrying.............:c

I am in the exact same boat! Here is to hoping that our group receives a wave of KB1 e-mails. I thought that both of my numbers being well over the top 75% would bate me a KB1. Fingers crossed for you ladies/gents. Does anyone know when Harvard Law's Admissions office closes for a winter break? Best of luck!

If your previous posts are accurate, you're not above either 75%. You're between the median and 75% for both numbers.

This is an excellent place to be, and you should read absolutely nothing into the fact that you have been waiting exactly one day for a KB1 :roll:

Just chill! You likely won't receive one before the holiday break, but the smart bet is on you getting one soon thereafter. Enjoy your break and try to rest.

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:11 pm

addy11 wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:
wphr wrote:

If your previous posts are accurate, you're not above either 75%. You're between the median and 75% for both numbers.

This is an excellent place to be, and you should read absolutely nothing into the fact that you have been waiting exactly one day for a KB1 :roll:

Just chill! You likely won't receive one before the holiday break, but the smart bet is on you getting one soon thereafter. Enjoy your break and try to rest.

Thanks, I've been a bit excited, seeing all of the people have such a quick turn-around, I was reading into it a bit too much. 3.99 and 174... ah yes, 174 is below. Thanks again for the reality check and kind words!

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 pm

rotaxkarter wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. UG in Canada, guess this isn't looking too good lol...this not-so-good information has put me at ease. Where I once thought I had a chance is now looking rough. Strangely though, this has actually put me in a better place, guess I've been a bit too stressed :).

Ohai. 3.98/173, submitted end of October, and feeling pretty nervous.

Curious1's success is encouraging anecdotal evidence that those of us with Canadian UGs won't be totally shafted, but then again, his KB1 came relatively late (despite having something like a 177). So if we can draw any conclusions from this, um, sample size of 1, it might be that we can expect a bit of a longer wait.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:57 pm

curiouscat wrote:Curious1's success is encouraging anecdotal evidence that those of us with Canadian UGs won't be totally shafted, but then again, his KB1 came relatively late (despite having something like a 177). So if we can draw any conclusions from this, um, sample size of 1, it might be that we can expect a bit of a longer wait.

Curious1 did his undergrad in the US - at an Ivy, in fact.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:18 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
Thanks, I've been a bit excited, seeing all of the people have such a quick turn-around, I was reading into it a bit too much. 3.99 and 174... ah yes, 174 is below. Thanks again for the reality check and kind words!

Ah, OK. I thought I read in one of your previous posts that you had a 3.92. Not really a big difference though, I suppose.

Anyway, no one knows what goes into any school's decision, but Harvard's seems to be more quantitative, likely due to the sheer size of each class. You have superb numbers, especially in a cycle where high GPAs seem to be favored. Also, your numbers make you very competitive at Stanford, and certainly in the running at Yale.

I didn't mean to single you out, and I'm sure I had the same thoughts when the first KB1s came out and I wasn't among the chosen few, but it's easy to lose perspective on these boards. It's odd that people tend to spend far too much time wringing bad news from the first instance of something, rather than deriving hope from the later or outlying instances. I mean, look at the posts of several of the people who just got KB2s... several of them gave up hope for KB1s (and subsequently KB2s) multiple times, and now they have a Harvard acceptance with many months to go in the cycle.

You will have an amazing cycle, and it will likely include a Harvard acceptance. But if I could plead with the new entrants to this thread with similarly awesome numbers: for your sake and for the rest of us with possibly KB1-worthy numbers who haven't yet had the invitation, spend your time enjoying the love you get from other schools, and wait until Harvard gives you bad news before you begin despairing.

Anyway, happy holidays all, and congrats to everyone in here on acceptances to Harvard and other amazing institutions :)

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 pm

tng11 wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. UG in Canada, guess this isn't looking too good lol...this not-so-good information has put me at ease. Where I once thought I had a chance is now looking rough. Strangely though, this has actually put me in a better place, guess I've been a bit too stressed :).

(raises hand)

+1

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Sooo I just received my fall grade report, which bumps my cumulative GPA clearly above Harvard's 75th, definitely worth sending my updated transcript out right...? And if I do, I should do it through LSAC?

spek

Postby spek » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Elendil wrote:Sooo I just received my fall grade report, which bumps my cumulative GPA clearly above Harvard's 75th, definitely worth sending my updated transcript out right...? And if I do, I should do it through LSAC?

Yes and yes

bluenoser

Postby bluenoser » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:16 pm

rotaxkarter wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Would these concerns apply to Canadian applicants as well? Canadians are in a slightly different situation from other internationals (English fluency, numerical GPA, differences in visa requirements), so I'm wondering if we're still judged according to those tougher standards as well.

I had previously thought that Canadians would be judged much more like US applicants, for the reasons you mention, but the only other pre-Thanksgiving KB1/no-KB2er I know of is Canadian, and there are at least two of you on this thread with very good numbers but no KB1s yet (which might not sound like many, but is probably a very high proportion of the Canadians on this thread). I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years looking for data on international applicants, but I usually ignore Canadians.

On my understanding, you do still need to get work visas (even if that is easier), can't get US government loans (which might affect yield), and would need to present good reasons for wanting a US JD.

Thanks for the responses guys. UG in Canada, guess this isn't looking too good lol...this not-so-good information has put me at ease. Where I once thought I had a chance is now looking rough. Strangely though, this has actually put me in a better place, guess I've been a bit too stressed :).

Me! My understanding from reading the LSAC website was that we're treated like US applicants (the sections referring to international applicants tend to state that they are referring to applicants from schools outside the US and Canada). I would assume we're evaluated by the same standards as US ug's, but then accepted with other international students? (Any non-Canadian international UG's hear yet?)

poultry

Postby poultry » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:17 pm

bluenoser wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Me! My understanding from reading the LSAC website was that we're treated like US applicants (the sections referring to international applicants tend to state that they are referring to applicants from schools outside the US and Canada). I would assume we're evaluated by the same standards as US ug's, but then accepted with other international students? (Any non-Canadian international UG's hear yet?)

I am an international student from outside North America. Submitted early Nov. and so far heard Nada. I also had multiple lsat scores (highest 175) so that maybe a larger factor than being international. Anyone who did undergrad outside North America and so far got KB1/KB2? Pleeeease raise your hand.

takehold

Postby takehold » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:18 am

Recent KB2 (Tuesday 12/20; KB1 was 12/13), just wanted to pop in to congratulate the other KB2s this week and to wish good luck to all of those waiting. Hopefully this thread will see more good news soon after the holidays are over!

sayornis

Postby sayornis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:15 am

Their office closed starting from Friday and will reopen on January 3rd.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:31 am

PopTorts13 wrote:I am in the exact same boat! Here is to hoping that our group receives a wave of KB1 e-mails. I thought that both of my numbers being well over the top 75% would bate me a KB1. Fingers crossed for you ladies/gents. Does anyone know when Harvard Law's Admissions office closes for a winter break? Best of luck!

What's your deal with the colors? Scared people will miss your message or something?

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
PopTorts13 wrote:I am in the exact same boat! Here is to hoping that our group receives a wave of KB1 e-mails. I thought that both of my numbers being well over the top 75% would bate me a KB1. Fingers crossed for you ladies/gents. Does anyone know when Harvard Law's Admissions office closes for a winter break? Best of luck!

What's your deal with the colors? Scared people will miss your message or something?

:roll:

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Anybody? Anything?

Am I the only person still waiting for a KB1?

*everyone else laughs as they search for housing in Cambridge*

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:39 pm

mickeyD wrote:Anybody? Anything?

Haha. I'm technically still waiting but am not expecting to receive one.

crumpledq

Postby crumpledq » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:40 pm

snehpets wrote:

+1

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:43 pm

crumpledq wrote:
snehpets wrote:

+1

+1 aussi

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:44 pm

I am still waiting, although I think it will be futile in the end. *Sigh*

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”