Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WhiteGuy5

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:50 pm

So...if we haven't gotten a KB1 and we applied early November...that means they reviewed our application and decided on something other than "let's send this kid a KB1"...right?

And, can we expect any KB1s tomorrow?

sayornis

Postby sayornis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 pm

OMFG KB1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCHEDULED FOR EARLY JANUARY.

AHHHH I'M SHAKING.

Submitted mid-Nov
UR first week of Dec
Complete mid-Dec

174 / 3.95 / non-URM

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 pm

sayornis wrote:OMFG KB1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCHEDULED FOR EARLY JANUARY.

AHHHH I'M SHAKING.

Submitted mid-Nov
UR first week of Dec
Complete mid-Dec

174 / 3.95 / non-URM

When did you get the email?

sayornis

Postby sayornis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
sayornis wrote:OMFG KB1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCHEDULED FOR EARLY JANUARY.

AHHHH I'M SHAKING.

Submitted mid-Nov
UR first week of Dec
Complete mid-Dec

174 / 3.95 / non-URM

When did you get the email?

8 hours ago (1 AM asia time... can't do the time zone conversion in my head right now).

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Congrats, sayornis! That's amazing!!

I didn't realize KB was scheduling January KB1s already. Here I was under the delusion that I could stop obsessively checking my inbox for the month. :)

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Tom in Ohio wrote:I'm so excited about getting accepted at Harvard that I ran out to try to find a Harvard baseball cap. Unfortunately, they are impossible to find in Cleveland, Ohio.

I did update my avatar, though.

http://www.lids.com/NCAA/Harvard-Crimson/20014623

Enjoy, I'm jealous!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

rotaxkarter wrote:Congrats everyone :).

I'm Canadian (born and raised in Canada) and I'm wondering if internationals are judged by different standards?

There are very few data points on LSN for internationals, so if someone can provide some input that'd be great.

Thanks

Your post got swamped by KB2s!

My impression, based largely on LSN and TLS, is that there are different standards. Two pieces of evidence: (1) it seems that the clear majority of US applicants above Harvard's medians get KB1s & KB2s; however, only a minority of international applicants above Harvard's LSAT median get KB1s; (2) much more anecdotally, the only two TLSers to get pre-Thanksgiving KB1s but no KB2s so far this cycle are internationals. Of course, in the latter case it could be that both happened to interview badly, but it seems like an odd coincidence that the only two TLSers to interview badly enough to avoid KB2s are internationals.

Of course, even if this is true, there could be all sorts of good reasons why Harvard is leery of full internationals - I suspect a lot of candidates lack compelling reasons for wanting a US law degree, and they might have doubts about educational background, English fluency, or the candidate's ability to work successfully in the United States, amongst other things.

That said, Harvard has already accepted at least one full (i.e., non-US-educated) international this cycle, and I recall at least two that got in last cycle, so it certainly happens.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
rotaxkarter wrote:Congrats everyone :).

I'm Canadian (born and raised in Canada) and I'm wondering if internationals are judged by different standards?

There are very few data points on LSN for internationals, so if someone can provide some input that'd be great.

Thanks

Your post got swamped by KB2s!

My impression, based largely on LSN and TLS, is that there are different standards. Two pieces of evidence: (1) it seems that the clear majority of US applicants above Harvard's medians get KB1s & KB2s; however, only a minority of international applicants above Harvard's LSAT median get KB1s; (2) much more anecdotally, the only two TLSers to get pre-Thanksgiving KB1s but no KB2s so far this cycle are internationals. Of course, in the latter case it could be that both happened to interview badly, but it seems like an odd coincidence that the only two TLSers to interview badly enough to avoid KB2s are internationals.

Of course, even if this is true, there could be all sorts of good reasons why Harvard is leery of full internationals - I suspect a lot of candidates lack compelling reasons for wanting a US law degree, and they might have doubts about educational background, English fluency, or the candidate's ability to work successfully in the United States, amongst other things.

That said, Harvard has already accepted at least one full (i.e., non-US-educated) international this cycle, and I recall at least two that got in last cycle, so it certainly happens.

Would these concerns apply to Canadian applicants as well? Canadians are in a slightly different situation from other internationals (English fluency, numerical GPA, differences in visa requirements), so I'm wondering if we're still judged according to those tougher standards as well.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 pm

ebeth wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:*Feels self conscience for even trying for Harvard with only a BA*

Don't be silly. Plenty of people get in without advanced degrees.

Good to know. I'm shooting for the moon. I'd be happy at any top ten school, but I'm looking to the Ivy.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 pm

curiouscat wrote:Would these concerns apply to Canadian applicants as well? Canadians are in a slightly different situation from other internationals (English fluency, numerical GPA, differences in visa requirements), so I'm wondering if we're still judged according to those tougher standards as well.

I don't know, but following my usual practice I will answer anyway. :wink:

I had previously thought that Canadians would be judged much more like US applicants, for the reasons you mention, but the only other pre-Thanksgiving KB1/no-KB2er I know of is Canadian, and there are at least two of you on this thread with very good numbers but no KB1s yet (which might not sound like many, but is probably a very high proportion of the Canadians on this thread). I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years looking for data on international applicants, but I usually ignore Canadians.

On my understanding, you do still need to get work visas (even if that is easier), can't get US government loans (which might affect yield), and would need to present good reasons for wanting a US JD.

ds.princess

Postby ds.princess » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm born and raised in canada
got my KB1 for 12/20 but the call didn't go through (I'm currently in China). They told me they had some issues with international calls and rescheduled me for early January (I wanted to cry!). I don't know any other canadians out there. So few of us haha

My stats are pretty border line so... I'm hoping for the best

congratulations to all the KB2s!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 pm

ds.princess wrote:I'm born and raised in canada
got my KB1 for 12/20 but the call didn't go through (I'm currently in China). They told me they had some issues with international calls and rescheduled me for early January (I wanted to cry!). I don't know any other canadians out there. So few of us haha

Congratulations on your KB1! You are below one median, so perhaps you're evidence for the view that Canadians are treated like Americans (although you're also not a full-international, according to your profile, since your UG degree is from NYU).

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:44 pm

For all those with KB1 but no KB2, any ideas why no KB2? I think I must have come across very nervous...I definitely stammered a bit...

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:For all those with KB1 but no KB2, any ideas why no KB2? I think I must have come across very nervous...I definitely stammered a bit...

I feel the same way....

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:For all those with KB1 but no KB2, any ideas why no KB2? I think I must have come across very nervous...I definitely stammered a bit...

You should start this year's edition of KB1-->No KB2 thread.
Last edited by Blessedassurance on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sayornis

Postby sayornis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 pm

ds.princess wrote:I'm born and raised in canada

Omg, we're like life twins. I'm also Canadian, attend school in the US, and am currently in China. What was the issue with your call? I'm trying to figure out which number (home or cell) to give for my early Jan KB1.

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 pm

KB2 this afternoon. Don't think it's actually registered yet. I keep stopping and thinking, "wait, did that actually happen?"

KB1 yesterday, so I DEFINITELY wasn't expecting to hear so quickly. What a crazy crazy week.

Best of luck to all the other KB1'ers who haven't heard yet - I'm sure good news is on the way!

ds.princess

Postby ds.princess » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 pm

which US school did you graduate from? when is your KB 1 schedule for in early Jan?

what does one below median mean? like one point below median? a standard deviation below? a percent below? :(:(:( there goes my whole winter break worrying about being below median haha.

ds.princess

Postby ds.princess » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 pm

i gave my cell phone. they told me the call didn't go through... and that having problems with international calls is actually pretty common.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:47 pm

ds.princess wrote:which US school did you graduate from? when is your KB 1 schedule for in early Jan?

what does one below median mean? like one point below median? a standard deviation below? a percent below? :(:(:( there goes my whole winter break worrying about being below median haha.

I believe what he meant was you are below one of the medians in this case the LSAT median. But I dont think you should worry those are pretty steller numbers and seem right in line with those in this thread who have earned the coveted KB2!

anyways best of luck, and either way try not to worry too much! :D

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm a Canadian with a us ug. Kb2 came 6 days after kb1. This is anecdotal evidence that Canadians educated in the us are treated the same?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:13 am

Take Two wrote:
ds.princess wrote:which US school did you graduate from? when is your KB 1 schedule for in early Jan?

I believe what he meant was you are below one of the medians in this case the LSAT median. But I dont think you should worry those are pretty steller numbers and seem right in line with those in this thread who have earned the coveted KB2!

anyways best of luck, and either way try not to worry too much! :D

Sorry - that is what I meant. But like Take Two says, you have a 4.0 from NYU, which is a very impressive number. Don't let thoughtless idiots on the internet trying to generalize on the basis of too little data (i.e., me) freak you out - I'm sure you will be fine.

I think it's best I take a break from posting on this thread!

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 am

Congratulations to all of today's KB2s! Though I have to admit I'm getting a little down... I went UR early December, complete shortly after, and still haven't heard anything... :?

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:25 am

Elendil wrote:Congratulations to all of today's KB2s! Though I have to admit I'm getting a little down... I went UR early December, complete shortly after, and still haven't heard anything... :?

Well...you're still a little early homie. With your numbers, you should be on track for a post-new year KB1/KB2. IMO, Harvard's class size is a little too big to turn down people with your numbers. You're above both medians. I'd sit back and relax if I were you.
Last edited by WhiteGuy5 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

wphr

Postby wphr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:30 am

Lily Pad wrote:KB1!!!! UR 12/12, just went complete today (12/22). Definitely borderline numbers for Harvard and non-URM, I could not be more surprised and thrilled!!!

omg congrats. same for me. UR 12/12 and complete 12/22 except i don't have a KB1... should i be worrying.............:c

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”