Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freestallion

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby freestallion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:07 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
splbagel wrote:Kittens deemed ineffective at ending this silly argument.

Go watch this baby owl, will ya? http://cuteoverload.com/2011/11/18/owl-rightie-then/

I don't know how ANYBODY managed to watch that and keep arguing. It made me just want to stop what I was doing and go pet an owl!

I agree, that was so adorable! I want an owl... and every animal on that website!

addy11

Postby addy11 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm

ScratchableItch wrote:So I know this thread has a great thing going right now, and I hate to do this, but I have a question regarding Harvard's admissions.

Say we submitted late October, and haven't heard anything back as yet. I'm hoping that because this cycle may be different than in the past and that because it's definitely still early there isn't much use in stressing. But does getting passed by on interviews not bode well? Is it common to hear back later in the cycle with anything besides a waitlist or rejection if you submitted early?

I mean, there are many things in play: new dean; allegedly different KB1 wave cadence; drop in LSAT takers. The probable answer is that you (we, really... I'm in the same boat) have not been selected for 2011 KB1s. Every year there are a bunch of people who get held and then accepted or rejected much later... January, February, March, April. So the other thing to conclude is that you're (we're!) certainly not out of the running yet!

euskadi

Postby euskadi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 pm

ScratchableItch wrote:So I know this thread has a great thing going right now, and I hate to do this, but I have a question regarding Harvard's admissions.

Say we submitted late October, and haven't heard anything back as yet. I'm hoping that because this cycle may be different than in the past and that because it's definitely still early there isn't much use in stressing. But does getting passed by on interviews not bode well? Is it common to hear back later in the cycle with anything besides a waitlist or rejection if you submitted early?

I wouldn't worry just yet, especially given the general unpredictability of this cycle. There are plenty of people with extraordinary softs and great numbers who submitted quite a while before you but have yet to receive a KB1. Spend a bit of time on lawschoolnumbers.com, and you'll see that there are plenty of people who submitted/went complete early but didn't receive an interview/acceptance until January (or later) in previous (perhaps more predictable) cycles.

Also, there are people with my complete date who received the KB1 email ~a week before I did. Yours may come presently! As with everything, be cautiously optimistic; you've got what you can control sorted (read through your posts and saw your numbers). Admittedly, part of me wonders if their standards for undergraduates are creeping up..

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm

euskadi wrote:

I wouldn't worry just yet, especially given the general unpredictability of this cycle. There are plenty of people with extraordinary softs and great numbers who submitted quite a while before you but have yet to receive a KB1. Spend a bit of time on lawschoolnumbers.com, and you'll see that there are plenty of people who submitted/went complete early but didn't receive an interview/acceptance until January (or later) in previous (perhaps more predictable) cycles.

Also, there are people with my complete date who received the KB1 email ~a week before I did. Yours may come presently! As with everything, be cautiously optimistic; you've got what you can control sorted (read through your posts and saw your numbers). Admittedly, part of me wonders if their standards for undergraduates are creeping up..

Under JR the % of the incoming class who were straight from undergrad fell from like ~50% to ~25% I think. 50% might be wrong. I'm sure about 25% though.

euskadi

Postby euskadi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:24 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
euskadi wrote:

Under JR the % of the incoming class who were straight from undergrad fell from like ~50% to ~25% I think. 50% might be wrong. I'm sure about 25% though.

I thought that I had seen this. Perhaps this is why the numerical (and probably extracurricular) quality of some in this thread has yet to be rewarded with a KB1.

ScratchableItch

Postby ScratchableItch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:38 pm

addy11 wrote:

I mean, there are many things in play: new dean; allegedly different KB1 wave cadence; drop in LSAT takers. The probable answer is that you (we, really... I'm in the same boat) have not been selected for 2011 KB1s. Every year there are a bunch of people who get held and then accepted or rejected much later... January, February, March, April. So the other thing to conclude is that you're (we're!) certainly not out of the running yet!

This is definitely my hope! You have great numbers, so here's to some acceptances later for each of us!

ScratchableItch

Postby ScratchableItch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:43 pm

euskadi wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
euskadi wrote:

I thought that I had seen this. Perhaps this is why the numerical (and probably extracurricular) quality of some in this thread has yet to be rewarded with a KB1.

I done my share of lawschoolnumbers trolling haha, I just don't know how much of that data is due to a self-selection bias.

And I worry about the decreasing percentage of undergrad admits. Being of one those undergrad applicants it makes me think that despite a TLS consensus on the matter, soft factors play a significant role in admissions. My hope is that it's the unique and stellar candidates getting admitted now, with us perhaps more average folks getting the call later.

I'm an optimist.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:02 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
splbagel wrote:Kittens deemed ineffective at ending this silly argument.

Go watch this baby owl, will ya? http://cuteoverload.com/2011/11/18/owl-rightie-then/

I don't know how ANYBODY managed to watch that and keep arguing. It made me just want to stop what I was doing and go pet an owl!

Seriously. The owls get a 180.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:03 pm

There have been Forgotten topics in 2011 and a few other years (see the first post in this topic for links). For some unknowable reason, some people who submitted in late October and early November last year hadn't heard anything (not a JR1, not a rejection, not a Hold) even by late January, when droves of people had been rejected. Some people hung out for another month, even. A few ended up with JR1's, although I don't remember if there was any pattern to this; some retook the LSAT in December and that pushed them over, but I don't remember if that was a general trend.

So I think what I'm saying is that if you submitted a while ago and have heard nothing since, don't worry about it just yet. There's a possibility that it's a rejection just waiting until January, but there's also a possibility that it's a KB1 that just hasn't happened yet due to the ineffability that is HLS admissions.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Jesus, recent KB1 here who woke up this morning (abroad, so time difference) to see this thread jump 4 pages. Just about had a heart attack. you guys, stop =(

zoohoo

Postby zoohoo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:26 pm

euskadi wrote:

Thanks for this! I had totally lost hope and was just waiting for a rejection.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:08 am

Good morning, fellow Thanksgiving-week KB1s! Here's hoping today brings good news for all of us.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:10 am

splbagel wrote:Good morning, fellow Thanksgiving-week KB1s! Here's hoping today brings good news for all of us.

+1
Good luck, everyone!

gimelstein315

Postby gimelstein315 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm

does the fact that there are KB1s today increase or decrease the likelihood that KB2s are distributed today as wel?

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 pm

gimelstein315 wrote:does the fact that there are KB1s today increase or decrease the likelihood that KB2s are distributed today as wel?

Who said there are KB1s today?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:21 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
gimelstein315 wrote:does the fact that there are KB1s today increase or decrease the likelihood that KB2s are distributed today as well?

If there are, that substantially decreases the likelihood, imo.

For the first round of KB2s, KB spent almost the entire day calling people. That fits with the system used last year as well - JR2s on every second or third Monday, for most of the day.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:23 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
gimelstein315 wrote:does the fact that there are KB1s today increase or decrease the likelihood that KB2s are distributed today as well?

If there are, that substantially decreases the likelihood, imo.

For the first round of KB2s, KB spent almost the entire day calling people. That fits with the system used last year as well - JR2s on every second or third Monday, for most of the day.

Hate to bear bad news, but I know of at least one person who has a KB1 today...

FEE

Postby FEE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Some Kb1's went out on the 21st this year when the KB2's went out. If last year is any guide, the KB2's should come out today. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few Kb1's were given as well.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Elendil wrote:Hate to bear bad news, but I know of at least one person who has a KB1 today...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

*sniff sniff*

Whatever, sort of a long shot anyway!

Edit: Applied early November.
Last edited by WhiteGuy5 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gimelstein315

Postby gimelstein315 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:26 pm

pretty sure there are a bunch.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:26 pm

FEE wrote:Some Kb1's went out on the 21st this year when the KB2's went out. If last year is any guide, the KB2's should come out today. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few Kb1's were given as well.

KB1 invite emails went out on the 21st, but I don't know if anybody actually had their KB1 call on that date.

...crap, I was so hoping today would be our day. Does that mean those of us with Thanksgiving KB1s are unlikely to hear until next Monday?

FEE

Postby FEE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Oh! The actual interviews are scheduled for today?? Hmm... then maybe next monday for the KB2's?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

FEE wrote:Oh! The actual interviews are scheduled for today?? Hmm... then maybe next monday for the KB2's?

Unless they do something crazy, like KB2s on a Tuesday.

If today was a KB2 day, they would have started already.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
FEE wrote:Oh! The actual interviews are scheduled for today?? Hmm... then maybe next monday for the KB2's?

Agreed, I know of someone who already had a KB1 today. Hopefully this means KB2s later this week? Would these KB2s include the people who had KB1's last week and today-- or probably just the pre-Thanksgiving crowd?

gimelstein315

Postby gimelstein315 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:45 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Agreed, I know of someone who already had a KB1 today. Hopefully this means KB2s later this week? Would these KB2s include the people who had KB1's last week and today-- or probably just the pre-Thanksgiving crowd?

+1 great question

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”