Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:10 pm

thederangedwang wrote:can we stop with this spanish bull? THIS IS AMERICA! We speak ENGLISH here. If you cant or wont speak anglish, then you should be DEPORTED back to the country that ur speaking the laungage of. U speak Spanish, go back to SPAIN, u speak mexican, go back to MEXICO!

I mean I agree to the extent that we should keep the discussion English and Harvard related so that it stays on topic, but WTF?

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 pm

'Mexican' is not a language.
Last edited by Justdoingmybest on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Let's not let racist xenophobic trolls derail the Harvard thread.

Moving along . . .

I really want a KB1...probably won't happen, but a girl can dream.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:can we stop with this spanish bull? THIS IS AMERICA! We speak ENGLISH here. If you cant or wont speak anglish, then you should be DEPORTED back to the country that ur speaking the laungage of. U speak Spanish, go back to SPAIN, u speak mexican, go back to MEXICO!

WTF?

TBF, he is a deranged wang. THE deranged wang, even.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:13 pm

The sad thing is if my memory serves me, that person received a KB1...

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:Its spelt 'English' and 'Mexican' is not a language.

Yes, that's how it's "spelt."

I think it's safe to say it was a poor attempt at humor. Move along folks.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:21 pm

hmmm..i thought i made it kinda obvious that it was a joke with the hints i gave

"anglish"

as well as mexican isnt a laungage...but, there is no sarcasm font on tls...lol

Schola

Postby Schola » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:24 pm

thederangedwang wrote:hmmm..i thought i made it kinda obvious that it was a joke with the hints i gave

"anglish"

I figured it was a joke. But I also thought it a bit imprudent to make on a message board b/c 1) sarcasm, as you yourself indicate, is difficult to communicate on message boards and 2) while some sociologists might call our generation apathetic and disengaged, and wholly lacking the vocabulary necessary to make moral arguments (as one book just argued), I would observe that we can still muster the energy to consider racism and cigarette smoking uncouth.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Schola wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:hmmm..i thought i made it kinda obvious that it was a joke with the hints i gave

"anglish"

I figured it was a joke. But I also thought it a bit imprudent to make on a message board b/c 1) sarcasm, as you yourself indicate, is difficult to communicate on message boards and 2) while some sociologists might call our generation apathetic and disengaged, and wholly lacking the vocabulary necessary to make moral arguments (as one book just argued), I would observe that we can still muster the energy to consider racism and cigarette smoking uncouth.

ur kinda like the harvard guy that gets owned in this scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:41 pm

"anglish"

Won't lie, I figured it was a joke and laughed along with you. Maybe because I work with awesome immigrants all day, and have also encountered my share of inadvertently hilarious xenophobic bigots (you're pitch perfect!).

...ok, if admissions committees really do read these forums, I think I've just given myself away. Hi KB, I'd love to chat with you soon!
Last edited by splbagel on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schola

Postby Schola » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Schola wrote:

"anglish"

nah, I'm far too disdainful of Northeastern elitism. I've just spent too much time in graduate school. It can be a corrupting influence.

Schola

Postby Schola » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:51 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Schola wrote:

"anglish"

I've also been known to drink Ice House

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! It was a heck of a weight off my shoulders to get into Harvard so early and made the rest of the admissions cycle much easier to tolerate, so I wish the best for you guys.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

tomwatts wrote:Good luck to everyone tomorrow! It was a heck of a weight off my shoulders to get into Harvard so early and made the rest of the admissions cycle much easier to tolerate, so I wish the best for you guys.

how did the rest of ur cycle go?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm

tomwatts wrote:Good luck to everyone tomorrow! It was a heck of a weight off my shoulders to get into Harvard so early and made the rest of the admissions cycle much easier to tolerate, so I wish the best for you guys.

Thanks! AND a huge thanks for all the help you've given us through the cycle. Its really been great of you to hang around to help set us straight (and to the other HLS students as well).

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:56 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

how did the rest of ur cycle go?

tomwatts had a 180 3.9
I'm sure it went pretty well :D

sdwhodat

Postby sdwhodat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Schola wrote:

"anglish"

I wish that bit about the cigarette smoking were true.

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:14 am

splbagel wrote:Won't lie, I figured it was a joke and laughed along with you. Maybe because I work with awesome immigrants all day, and have also encountered my share of inadvertently hilarious xenophobic bigots (you're pitch perfect!).

...ok, if admissions committees really do read these forums, I think I've just given myself away. Hi KB, I'd love to chat with you soon!

You haven't given yourself away. I know at least 1 other H applicant working with immigrants all day.

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 am

So I was doing some LSN snooping (yes I know it ends up being very unrepresentative because it's such a small sample size). On LSN, the median LSAT for people who were accepted and confirmed that they were attending was 174. The median was also 174 for overall for the group that were accepted and confirmed combined with the group that was accepted and did not say if they were attending or not. Thus, it seems as though the LSN subset is maybe slightly higher scoring than what the overall school scores were. So based on that, I feel like our chances are maybe slightly better than what you would think from looking at LSN.

I also looked at the group of people with LSATs ranging from 170-174 and GPA's from 3.85-3.95 (non-URM). In that group, 13 were accepted, 11 were rejected, 13 were waitlisted, 8 were waitlisted and then accepted, and 3 were waitlisted and then rejected. In the group that were flat out rejected, all of them had 170 or 171 LSAT except for one who had a 172 (and who also received a Ruby). Also, almost everyone in the rejection and waitlist categories either got substantial scholarships at other T14 schools or acceptances in the T6 (also often with substantial schollies). Also, I wasn't looking for this the whole time, but from what I noticed, none of the people in the waitlist/rejection categories had JR1's that they reported.

On that note.....I'll still be waiting anxiously tomorrow in hopes of getting a KB2.....but I think things are in my favor to at least get a waitlist...and if not H....then I'll likely have a substantial scholly somewhere else to help heal the wounds :P

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:48 am

I think LSN is a double-edged sword in that it is ovverrepresentative of high achievers. Thus, the medians will be misleadingly high, but on the flip side, it will seem easier for people with low numbers to get in because of the overrepresentation of people with great softs.

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 am

KB2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited I can't handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely opening up the bottle of wine I'd been saving for a special occasion tonight :) :) :) :)

Also: in case you didn't feel like scrolling back, my numbers are 172/3.85<gpa<3.95
Last edited by instantwonton on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 am

instantwonton wrote:KB2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited I can't handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely opening up the bottle of wine I'd been saving for a special occasion tonight :) :) :) :)

Aw, congrats! So exciting to hear so early!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am

instantwonton wrote:KB2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited I can't handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely opening up the bottle of wine I'd been saving for a special occasion tonight :) :) :) :)

OH SHIT!!! now im as nervous as fuck.........damm, was gonna go to the bathroom but now i have to hold it in until i get my kb2!

Congrats dude!

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am

elibrarian wrote:

Aw, congrats! So exciting to hear so early!

Woohoo!!! Congrats!!

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 am

Oh God I am so nervous.......

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”