Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FryBreadPower

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:49 pm

euskadi wrote:
Schola wrote:And I would add to this that the advent of the Rubenstein and the new Northwestern ED program will likely pick off at least a few students who would have gone to HYS otherwise. And while picking off, say, 10 students who would otherwise have gone to HYS is only 1% of the ~1000 who matriculate at HYS, 1% less competition, on top of the probable drop in applicants, offers all the more reason for those on the threshold of acceptance to hold out hope.

I like you.

+1 we could all use a little perspective

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Have their been any new KB appointments this week? If not, it might imply that decisions are coming next.

Schola

Postby Schola » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:Have their been any new KB appointments this week? If not, it might imply that decisions are coming next.

I assume that the answer to the question about KB1s is 'no,' since this message board usually lights up when something significant happens. You might be right that this might suggest that decisions might be coming soon, but then again you might also be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if people start getting KB2's today, or if we don't hear anything for another 2 weeks. This cycle just seems to be so different from last cycle that I am not sure we can infer anything about what will happen from the up-to-now inscrutable actions of HLS.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Schola wrote:I assume that the answer to the question about KB1s is 'no,' since this message board usually lights up when something significant happens.

This is my guess as well. It makes it slightly encouraging for those of us who haven't received a KB1 yet, however... since that means we haven't been missing out on another round or two of emails

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Just went under review today. 172/3.86

I know I've missed the discussion but what is the consensus on KB1s? If we don't get them before thanksgiving, is it safe to assume we're getting waitlisted/rejected?

Has anyone close to my numbers have any of the above happen yet? Should I even expect anything?

euskadi

Postby euskadi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:21 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Just went under review today. 172/3.86

I know I've missed the discussion but what is the consensus on KB1s? If we don't get them before thanksgiving, is it safe to assume we're getting waitlisted/rejected?

Has anyone close to my numbers have any of the above happen yet? Should I even expect anything?

The consensus is that there is none. As Schola (and others) have noted in the last few pages, this cycle is unlike the few that came before it. Normally, JR1s/KB1s would begin a bit earlier, so there's a necessary delay in KB2s, and the period of time between completion and KB1 is not predictable based off of previous cycles.

It's not safe to assume that. You've just gone under review - there are sixty+ days of applications ahead of yours. And many people in previous cycles had their interviews after Christmas, even though they applied in before Thanksgiving. A cursory glance at LSN shows this.

Look back a few pages, and you'll see a compilation of the statistics of those who have had a KB1. As far as I remember, there hasn't been anyone with a GPA below 3.9.

annyong

Postby annyong » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Yeah it would be kind of ridiculous to assume that if you just went under review today and don't get a KB1 by thanksgiving you're getting rejected. And even those who haven't gotten a KB1 yet but submitted earlier, there are still plenty of you that have great numbers and will eventually get one, it just seems like the process is going in a different timeline this semester but that doesn't mean we can expect different overall results. As euskadi mentioned, most KB1s so far have been very high GPAs, so maybe that's getting shored up first and then others will be brought through.

There were KB1s at the beginning of the week. If none have been scheduled already for the end of this week or beginning of next I'm hoping it means acceptances will be in the usual week before Thanksgiving, but again, I'm not going to speculate too hard or stress too much over it. I'm happy the holidays are coming and I'm looking forward to enjoying them regardless :D

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm

euskadi wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Just went under review today. 172/3.86

The consensus is that there is none. As Schola (and others) have noted in the last few pages, this cycle is unlike the few that came before it. Normally, JR1s/KB1s would begin a bit earlier, so there's a necessary delay in KB2s, and the period of time between completion and KB1 is not predictable based off of previous cycles.

It's not safe to assume that. You've just gone under review - there are sixty+ days of applications ahead of yours. And many people in previous cycles had their interviews after Christmas, even though they applied in before Thanksgiving. A cursory glance at LSN shows this.

Look back a few pages, and you'll see a compilation of the statistics of those who have had a KB1. As far as I remember, there hasn't been anyone with a GPA below 3.9.

Thanks. FYI, i went back and checked and 5/17 non-URM applicants had GPAs below 3.9. But only 1/5 had a low 170s LSAT with it, the rest had 175+. Soo...not good news for me, but, I didn't expect anything more anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

heavy

Postby heavy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey all,

seems to be a quiet day today so I hope nobody minds me asking: is there anyone who submitted early last week, the 7th through the 10th, who has seen movement on their status checker past the application received point?

I am starting to wonder whether my report might have been missing something

Thanks

xkcd09

Postby xkcd09 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm

This cycle is difficult to make any generalizations/predictions about timing. Last year by this time, there were multiple rounds of JR1 and we were less than a week away from first JR2. But this year we've only had one round of KB1 and KB2 may not come out before Thanksgiving. I suppose that's what happens when the director of admissions changes in October

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:Have their been any new KB appointments this week? If not, it might imply that decisions are coming next.

Considering they have to conduct ~1200 interviews this cycle, it does seem weird that the last interviews were on Monday, and no more have been scheduled yet. I guess that means there will be no interviews at all for the rest of this week, since they need to give people at least a couple of days notice, and they're not leaving much time for interviews next week, since only Monday and Tuesday are really available.

But KB said on Monday that decisions would be made from the end of this month onwards. Does next week count as the end of the month, if she said that on Monday?

The other option, I guess, is that they're using this week and next to just read through their backlog of files, before scheduling as many interviews as possible between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Actually we've had two rounds of KB1s- November 3rd invites and November 7th invites. But I agree, it is hard to make predictions. Still hoping for November 21st lol

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:56 pm

heavy wrote:Hey all,

seems to be a quiet day today so I hope nobody minds me asking: is there anyone who submitted early last week, the 7th through the 10th, who has seen movement on their status checker past the application received point?

Thanks

I submitted 11/2 and I didn't have a change until 11/15 so no worries just yet! Harvard takes a bit because there is no update between app received and under review. (at least there wasn't for me). Good luck!

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks

I submitted over the weekend before the 7th (5th-6th), and I just went complete/under review today. Hope that helps.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Actually we've had two rounds of KB1s- November 3rd invites and November 7th invites. But I agree, it is hard to make predictions. Still hoping for November 21st lol

I thought that was only one round of KB1s announced on separate but similar dates. I thought those interviews were taken from the pool of people who applied before 10/15 or thereabouts?? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone who applied late Oct or early Nov has heard anything from Harvard yet, regardless of numbers.
Last edited by amc987 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

euskadi

Postby euskadi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:14 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Thanks. FYI, i went back and checked and 5/17 non-URM applicants had GPAs below 3.9. But only 1/5 had a low 170s LSAT with it, the rest had 175+. Soo...not good news for me, but, I didn't expect anything more anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't necessarily consider this to portend a cycle without a KB1 for you. Historically, it seems as if numerically stronger applicants tend to get KB1s in the first few rounds, and, as the cycle goes on and the admissions committee gets a better idea of the incoming class, they start digging deeper into 'pile'. There are plenty of people who get into H with 3.8+/172, so I wouldn't worry much. Simply keep your expectations low; I think you may well be pleasantly surprised (especially if you've put together a decent application/have good softs).

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Thanks

I submitted over the weekend before the 7th (5th-6th), and I just went complete/under review today. Hope that helps.

I submitted when whiteguy did and also went complete/under review today

heavy

Postby heavy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks everybody

gotxxya315

Postby gotxxya315 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:49 pm

also submitted around nov 7 and went under review today.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm

euskadi wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't necessarily consider this to portend a cycle without a KB1 for you. Historically, it seems as if numerically stronger applicants tend to get KB1s in the first few rounds, and, as the cycle goes on and the admissions committee gets a better idea of the incoming class, they start digging deeper into 'pile'. There are plenty of people who get into H with 3.8+/172, so I wouldn't worry much. Simply keep your expectations low; I think you may well be pleasantly surprised (especially if you've put together a decent application/have good softs).

I...don't know how to say this...but...

I love you.

NO MORE GETTING MY HOPES UP THOUGH.

Good luck to everyone.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Submitted 11/5, under review as of today! Ayeeee!!!

Anyone care to let a lazy person in on how long the turnaround usually is from UR to KB1, for those who got it?

annyong

Postby annyong » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Submitted 11/5, under review as of today! Ayeeee!!!

Anyone care to let a lazy person in on how long the turnaround usually is from UR to KB1, for those who got it?

The sample turnaround right now is unlikely to be representative or predictive - I believe we went UR at the same time (when apps first started going under review) and we got KBs ~less than a month later (there were two "batches" of invite dates, as a poster above noted), but since we were the first group for both, it could be irrelevant for what the turnaround is likely to be for people newly under review.

Also, your av creeps me out.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 pm

annyong wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Submitted 11/5, under review as of today! Ayeeee!!!

The sample turnaround right now is unlikely to be representative or predictive - I believe we went UR at the same time (when apps first started going under review) and we got KBs ~less than a month later (there were two "batches" of invite dates, as a poster above noted), but since we were the first group for both, it could be irrelevant for what the turnaround is likely to be for people newly under review.

Also, your av creeps me out.

Thanks for the info! And sorry to hear you won't be viddying any of the old ultraviolent any time soon :(

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
Thanks for the info! And sorry to hear you won't be viddying any of the old ultraviolent any time soon :(

Excellent.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:37 am

Good luck everyone today! Hopefully either today or tomorrow we will see more KB1s emails.

If not, I guess KB2s will start next week. I'm hoping its more KB1s conducted instead and KB2s to follow the 29th though!

If last year holds, Nov submitters should then start having their KB1s in the first week or so of Dec. Fingers crossed for everyone! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”