Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EMZE

Silver

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by EMZE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 pm

amc987 wrote:So what do we think the chances are that there will be another JS1 batch soon?? High? Not so high? I only bring this up because I believe that the last batch acceptances during the 2010-2011 cycle occurred on 3/14/11. I realize that Harvard is supposedly behind on reviewing apps because of all the turnover in the admissions office, but you'd think that they're probably winding down, right? But didn't JS tell an interviewee that there are still tons of files left... I'm not sure how those two theories get reconciled.

One could go crazy trying to read the tea leaves for Harvard admissions.
Last years applicant thread seemed to see less acceptances later on than most other years I scanned through. Also, it seems like in past cycles, more people kept their JS/JR 1's hidden until they received their actual acceptance. There are a few of people in the thread from 09-10 cycle that I saw still fretting over not hearing anything by early april and they still listed being HLS class of '13.

Chances at this point of there being a batch soon? Who knows. I think that chances are good enough that there will be another batch, though.

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:38 pm

amc987 wrote:So what do we think the chances are that there will be another JS1 batch soon?? High? Not so high? I only bring this up because I believe that the last batch acceptances during the 2010-2011 cycle occurred on 3/14/11. I realize that Harvard is supposedly behind on reviewing apps because of all the turnover in the admissions office, but you'd think that they're probably winding down, right? But didn't JS tell an interviewee that there are still tons of files left... I'm not sure how those two theories get reconciled.

there is prob gonna be another batch...i seriously believe this. Even looking at urms specifically I think there are people like 1212 who haven't heard back and WE all know she is getting in...even though her heart is set on Stanford right now. But there are many non-urms they haven't gotten too. JS1s still have to go out to the non international and urm holds.

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

hey now... can we get some JS2s first?

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

sharktankdean wrote:

there is prob gonna be another batch...i seriously believe this. Even looking at urms specifically I think there are people like 1212 who haven't heard back and WE all know she is getting in...even though her heart is set on Stanford right now. But there are many non-urms they haven't gotten too. JS1s still have to go out to the non international and urm holds.
Considering the massive number of applicants who were held this cycle, there HAS to be another batch or two or three of JS1s... and that isn't just my overly optimistic outlook as a held applicant. :wink:

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Syme wrote:hey now... can we get some JS2s first?
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Elendil wrote:
sharktankdean wrote: there is prob gonna be another batch...i seriously believe this. Even looking at urms specifically I think there are people like 1212 who haven't heard back and WE all know she is getting in...even though her heart is set on Stanford right now. But there are many non-urms they haven't gotten too. JS1s still have to go out to the non international and urm holds.
Considering the massive number of applicants who were held this cycle, there HAS to be another batch or two or three of JS1s... and that isn't just my overly optimistic outlook as a held applicant. :wink:
I think it's clear they're not done making decisions on the class. People have pointed out the large number of holds, the presumably lower number of LSN admits to date, etc. Also, why would Harvard bother holding some late submits on Friday if they were ready to give out most people final decisions?
#optimism

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm just happy they dropped in the rankings so people cross-admitted will pick YLS and SLS, thereby freeing up many more spots in the class.

Again, just the workings of the mind of a hopeful Harvard hold here.

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm

EMZE wrote:I'm just happy they dropped in the rankings so people cross-admitted will pick YLS and SLS, thereby freeing up many more spots in the class.

lol don't count on that. People know rankings change...so they will not just pick SLS over HLS because of this year. At least thats what I think.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
EMZE wrote:I'm just happy they dropped in the rankings so people cross-admitted will pick YLS and SLS, thereby freeing up many more spots in the class.

lol don't count on that. People know rankings change...so they will not just pick SLS over HLS because of this year. At least thats what I think.
I think you are giving People too much credit, at least those on the fence. And I admit it is hopeful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm

I suppose I'll be the first person to point this out.

New JS blog dated today. http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... few-weeks/

Gives me hope that they aren't putting the process on ice for the duration of Spring Break.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:11 pm

$20 to the first person who comments and asks her if/when more JS1s are coming out.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:$20 to the first person who comments and asks her if/when more JS1s are coming out.
+20 from me :D :D

zapcaz

Bronze

Post by zapcaz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Syme wrote:I suppose I'll be the first person to point this out.

Gives me hope that they aren't putting the process on ice for the duration of Spring Break.

Loved this little nugget of gold for the JS1

"And one last thing, please feel free to call me Jessica when I call!"

Could this have been brought about by some silent TLS browsing on her part (Re: the discussion on how to address her)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Seriously tempted to comment "About what percentage of the class is full at the moment?". I do not think they would track me down and ding me for that, but meh.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Seriously tempted to comment "About what percentage of the class is full at the moment?". I do not think they would track me down and ding me for that, but meh.
Do it! I will shower you with praise!

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:25 pm

zapcaz wrote:

Could this have been brought about by some silent TLS browsing on her part (Re: the discussion on how to address her)?
It's fun to think about, but I highly doubt JS trolls TLS forums.

If you think about the sheer number of hours it takes for an admissions dean to have a 10 minute conversation with ~1000 students and then a short 3-5 minute admit call with 800 of those 1000, I think it goes without saying that she has better things to do. Granted, many/most of those 1000 calls were made by the time she started, but the idea that she or any dean with such a time intensive approach to admissions is lurking on here is just kind of silly.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Syme wrote:
zapcaz wrote:

It's fun to think about, but I highly doubt JS trolls TLS forums.

If you think about the sheer number of hours it takes for an admissions dean to have a 10 minute conversation with ~1000 students and then a short 3-5 minute admit call with 800 of those 1000, I think it goes without saying that she has better things to do. Granted, many/most of those 1000 calls were made by the time she started, but the idea that she or any dean with such a time intensive approach to admissions is lurking on here is just kind of silly.
That is what your admissions staff is for. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Last edited by Syme on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:$20 to the first person who comments and asks her if/when more JS1s are coming out.
+20 from me :D :D
Nulli Secundus wrote:Seriously tempted to comment "About what percentage of the class is full at the moment?". I do not think they would track me down and ding me for that, but meh.
This is also funny to me. Again, to think that anyone in any admissions office in the country would take the time to track down an anonymous comment and associate it with an applicant, particularly a question as benign as “How full is the class?”, is hilarious to me. I think people get way too worked up about maintaining anonymity on TLS. If you're not a jerk, why care if an adcom person associates an online profile with an IRL application (as unlikely as that would be, given the time it would take to do that)?

yepyepyep

Bronze

Post by yepyepyep » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Let me add my uninformed opinion and echo the sentiments of JS1's coming soon given the blog post. I'm guessing more tomorrow and Friday...
Maybe hoping more than guessing?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Let me add my uninformed opinion and echo the sentiments of JS1's coming soon given the blog post. I'm guessing more tomorrow and Friday...
Yea, I don't think she would bother to tell those having a JS1 to call her Jessica if there were no more JS1s for her to do...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:Let me add my uninformed opinion and echo the sentiments of JS1's coming soon given the blog post. I'm guessing more tomorrow and Friday...
Yea, I don't think she would bother to tell those having a JS1 to call her Jessica if there were no more JS1s for her to do...
I'm voting JS1 invites today and tomorrow, JS1's and JS2's on Friday and Monday... complete guesswork, obviously, but last time I predicted JS1s, we got some!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Just as you type that, she adds "ETA: I mean for the next year, duh." to her blog post.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Just as you type that, she adds "ETA: I mean for the next year, duh." to her blog post.
D'oh!

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Hoping JS2's come out tomorrow. Looking at the previous batch, seems like the way it works is JS schedules a bunch of interviews for consecutive business days, then waits 2 days after the last day of interviews to start making JS2 phone calls. I think (correct if wrong) the last day that JS1's were scheduled for the most recent batch was Tuesday.

Therefore, Tuesday -> Thursday turnaround applies?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”