Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zxcv22

New

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by zxcv22 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:12 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
AtticusJimbo wrote:
I'm beginning to have a strong suspicion as to why your art degree isn't being respected
You're missing a period at the end of your sentence. It must be that time of the month for you. What a shame.
Ugh, that was so unnecessary.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:To get back on task, it seems many of the most recent admits on LSN are late submitters. Perhaps the hold pile will have another round soon?

Also from LSN, there appears to be a steady stream of rejections coming from them of late.
A steady stream of 4 rejections for the month of March? Just about 1/4 of the acceptances for the same period...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm interested in attending Harvard, how do I enroll?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:To get back on task, it seems many of the most recent admits on LSN are late submitters. Perhaps the hold pile will have another round soon?

Also from LSN, there appears to be a steady stream of rejections coming from them of late.
A steady stream of 4 rejections for the month of March? Just about 1/4 of the acceptances for the same period...
On LSN there are at least 15 rejections in the past month. Some of them don't put the date of the decision, but you can see the update for that school was recent.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

no way some of you are real

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

On LSN there are at least 15 rejections in the past month. Some of them don't put the date of the decision, but you can see the update for that school was recent.
...Or the people just forgot to update with their rejection until recently? :D

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

...Or the people just forgot to update with their rejection until recently? :D
Also this is possible for a few, most of the profiles were meticulously kept up to date, so I would think they wouldn't wait to put in their Harvard one.

ScratchableItch

Bronze

Post by ScratchableItch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Has anyone actually compiled numbers about K-JDs vs. those with work experience or is this just something you've noticed? Not doubting you at all, just curious whether Harvard seems to making a move towards more WE
It seems pretty apparent this year. If you do a search on LSN for all applicants that are 172+/4.0+, here's what you get:

2009-10 - 23 accepted, 1 rejected, 4 waitlisted (3 of which were later accepted)
2010-11 - 13 accepted, 1 waitlisted
2011-12 - 15 accepted, 7 still pending
Of those 7 still pending, 5 are K-JD, 1 has 1-2 years WE, and one is unknown.

It really seems like they're holding K-JDs till the end of the cycle. My hope is to accept, but who knows....?

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 am

ScratchableItch wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Has anyone actually compiled numbers about K-JDs vs. those with work experience or is this just something you've noticed? Not doubting you at all, just curious whether Harvard seems to making a move towards more WE
It seems pretty apparent this year. If you do a search on LSN for all applicants that are 172+/4.0+, here's what you get:

2009-10 - 23 accepted, 1 rejected, 4 waitlisted (3 of which were later accepted)
2010-11 - 13 accepted, 1 waitlisted
2011-12 - 15 accepted, 7 still pending
Of those 7 still pending, 5 are K-JD, 1 has 1-2 years WE, and one is unknown.

It really seems like they're holding K-JDs till the end of the cycle. My hope is to accept, but who knows....?
I'm in that pending K-JD batch. Also didn't help that I applied 1/29, gotta believe that's more of an issue than my lack of work experience.

The K-JD thing very well could be a trend, I just think those numbers indicate that Harvard is behind this cycle, not necessarily that they're separating out K-JDs and frowning upon them. I'm with you though, hopefully their game plan is to accept us at some point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swingstate2012

New

Post by swingstate2012 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am

I think if they are making a move towards more WE it'd be because having WE has become somewhat of a rare commodity nowadays with the youth unemployment rate being so high. Even though the economy is improving, there are still tons of students waiting for it to bounce back even more, and while waiting they're pursuing graduate degrees. Therefore, WE probably stands out a lot more this cycle than perhaps it has in the past.

Then again, there are obviously a lot of very impressive people still in undergrad with fabulous numbers and perhaps great internship experiences, so who knows what's going on at this point. I always thought law schools wouldn't care about post-graduate work experience until U.S. News and World Report did, but I could be wrong :)

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am

Let's get a damn JS1 today.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 am

I had an incredibly vivid dream last night that covered me having a JS1, getting a JS2, and enrolling at Harvard. And then I woke up. It took me a solid 5 minutes before I realized that I was dreaming. Hopefully a look into the future and not a crushed dream (literally)? :lol:

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:07 am

All right, JS, let's get this show on the road. More JS1 emails for the held group today, please???

Goodness knows I will be celebrating anyway courtesy of the Hunger Games premiere. It'd be good to have some Harvard love to go along with that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kindaklueless

Bronze

Post by kindaklueless » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 am

amc987 wrote:All right, JS, let's get this show on the road. More JS1 emails for the held group today, please???
+1

I'm headed to Columbia's ASD next week and at least want to hold on to the hope that I'll have a second viable option to pick from.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 am

amc987 wrote:All right, JS, let's get this show on the road. More JS1 emails for the held group today, please???

Goodness knows I will be celebrating anyway courtesy of the Hunger Games premiere. It'd be good to have some Harvard love to go along with that.

+1 :)

Heading to Penn's ASW tomorrow and they have emailed about 3 events with drinks already so I'll be "celebrating" either way as well!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 am

jetissent wrote:

+1 :)

Heading to Penn's ASW tomorrow and they have emailed about 3 events with drinks already so I'll be "celebrating" either way as well!
I'm throwing a party at my place on Saturday... You do the math :D :D
Anyone in NYC is welcome btw - just let me know. Then I'd introduce you to my friends as [nickname] from TLS and it will be awesome. Then we'd drink.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:33 am

hopefully JS sprinkles in some JS2s today

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

swingstate2012 wrote:
Then again, there are obviously a lot of very impressive people still in undergrad with fabulous numbers and perhaps great internship experiences, so who knows what's going on at this point. I always thought law schools wouldn't care about post-graduate work experience until U.S. News and World Report did, but I could be wrong :)
I think most schools don't care bc USNWR doesn't care but I feel like when you're Harvard and you have all these amazing identical numbers to pick from you might as well pick people with cool experiences.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:24 pm

From this point onwards, the following words are in the white list: "JS1" "JS2" "Ding". Rest of the words are blacklisted. Stop saying words.

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Ding today by email. Submitted first day apps opened. Held in January. Sent in LOCI with pretty fabulous updates right after held. Terrible numbers but fantastic softs. Non-URM, non-trad. On a good note- suprisingly personalized and super polite letter of rejection.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Kimberly wrote:Ding today by email. Submitted first day apps opened. Held in January. Sent in LOCI with pretty fabulous updates right after held. Terrible numbers but fantastic softs. Non-URM, non-trad. On a good note- suprisingly personalized and super polite letter of rejection.
Wow. That's classy of Harvard.

Also, sorry to hear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Kimberly wrote:Ding today by email. Submitted first day apps opened. Held in January. Sent in LOCI with pretty fabulous updates right after held. Terrible numbers but fantastic softs. Non-URM, non-trad. On a good note- suprisingly personalized and super polite letter of rejection.
i guess they are rejecting the holds now.
Sorry Kimberly...i hope you are heading to somewhere great!!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Optimistic analysis: They're narrowing down the hold pile before making one last batch of JS1/JS2s before WL the rest.

Pessimistic analysis: They're done with JS1/JS2s and those who don't get rejected are heading to the WL.

Pessimistic analysis is according to last year's cycle on LSN. Optimistic analysis is according to this cycle being weird, and hopefully still delayed.

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
i guess they are rejecting the holds now.
Sorry Kimberly...i hope you are heading to somewhere great!!
Thanks, guys. Alas, wasn't meant to be. I was dreading the mere thought of snow in winter again anyways. Been there, done that, almost didn't survive it. Happy to be staying in the West. Will likely be Cal (which I am thrilled about) versus SLS (if I ever hear back from them after >5mo of silence).

Edited for being so rude to forget: GOOD LUCK to those of you still waiting!

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:35 pm

These are the days I dread checking my email when I get home

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”