Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MumofCad

Silver

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:the completion email comes:

Dear ?:

As of today, your application to Harvard Law School is complete. This means that we have received and assembled all required materials and submitted your application for review. Applications are reviewed roughly in order of their completion dates and many applications become complete on approximately the same date.

The time it takes to review an application and notify a candidate of the Committee's decision varies from case to case. It normally takes about two months from the date of submission to the committee for a decision to be made and notification sent. During that period, your application is under consideration in the Committee. We will notify you promptly once a decision is made. Those decision notifications will be made via email.

You may check the status of your Harvard Law School application online. This feature will allow you to monitor the status of your file at your convenience. Although we cannot respond to status inquiries by telephone or e-mail, this is one way for you to remain informed about the progress of your application. To check your application status online, please visit http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... check.html. We will not normally provide admission decisions by telephone. We ask that you do not call or email our office for your decision.

We will not release any information on an application to anyone other than the applicant. Address changes must be made in writing and sent via postal mail. We do not accept email attachments or faxed documents. These practices help to protect confidentiality and privacy. If you wish to add material to your application, please do so via postal mail and make sure your name and LSAC account number are on the documents.

Thank you for applying to Harvard Law School.

Harvard Law School
J.D. Admissions Office
1563 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138
+1 - Cruel.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Completion email as well. Heart stopped briefly for no reason.

KaleidoscopeEyes

New

Post by KaleidoscopeEyes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Same here. Complete email despite being under review for 2 weeks.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Anyone know what last year's complete email said? Because this one says they don't notify applicants of the decision by phone. This would be a change, maybe no KB2s? Just an email? It also doesn't mention interviews prior to a decision, maybe no KB anythings? Has anyone asked at one of the recruiting sessions?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 pm

MumofCad wrote:Anyone know what last year's complete email said? Because this one says they don't notify applicants of the decision by phone. This would be a change, maybe no KB2s? Just an email? It also doesn't mention interviews prior to a decision, maybe no KB anythings? Has anyone asked at one of the recruiting sessions?
Recruiting session specifically said there WILL be phone interviews.

I think the email was talking about "decisions" of whether or not to give you an interview--THOSE are notified by email.

Also I almost got a heart attack when I saw the email...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rotaxkarter

Bronze

Post by rotaxkarter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 pm

I got this complete email also. Got excited for a brief second lol...so mean...

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 pm

I also got the complete email.

It says: It normally takes about two months from the date of submission to the committee for a decision to be made and notification sent.

Does this apply even for people who are rejected or waitlisted usually...?

KaleidoscopeEyes

New

Post by KaleidoscopeEyes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 pm

MumofCad wrote:Anyone know what last year's complete email said? Because this one says they don't notify applicants of the decision by phone. This would be a change, maybe no KB2s? Just an email? It also doesn't mention interviews prior to a decision, maybe no KB anythings? Has anyone asked at one of the recruiting sessions?
"We will not normally provide admission decisions by telephone." I take it that's because normally they are rejecting people by email.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 pm

freestallion wrote:I also got the complete email.

It says: It normally takes about two months from the date of submission to the committee for a decision to be made and notification sent.

HEY!

Don't ask about things that won't apply to any of us.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Curious1 wrote:

HEY!

:oops:

My heart is just not ready to be dinged from Harvard by the end of November, lol. That would make me so sad.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 pm

freestallion wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

HEY!

My heart is just not ready to be dinged from Harvard by the end of November, lol. That would make me so sad.
I think they consider "held" to be a decision. That happened to most people that didn't have an interview by Thanksgiving....and plenty later got in.

rotaxkarter

Bronze

Post by rotaxkarter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 pm

KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:
"We will not normally provide admission decisions by telephone." I take it that's because normally they are rejecting people by email.
I think that line about not providing decisions by phone is basically saying to not call them for decisions/status checks. Goes with the idea of the paragraph. Doens't seem to convey whether or not they call the candidate.

MyLegendLives

New

Post by MyLegendLives » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:35 pm

KaleidoscopeEyes wrote:

I interpreted this the same way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Well I'm going optimistic now and taking tomorrow in the pool for the first invites.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Well at least now I know not to be too excited when the complete email comes in.
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:I are very confused. I haven't recieved a complete email like the one above, but my status checker says "Your application to Harvard Law School is complete. This means that we have received and assembled all required materials and submitted your application for review."

Does that mean I just shouldn't expect an email confirming the same?
All of ours said the same too for weeks. I'm not sure why they send these emails out. They did it last year too. They don't seem to mean anything. Last year people got them days after their interview on occasion.

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Curious1 wrote:

I think the email was talking about "decisions" of whether or not to give you an interview--THOSE are notified by email.

You are almost surely right that the email "decisions" are for the interview, but I am not sure if the email could have been more ambiguous if HLS tried. In fact, if one didn't know about the phone interviews, one would have no grounds on which to interpret it as meaning that the future "decision email" will be an invitation for a phone interview.

This all makes me wonder if there might be a small change in their policy. If you have someone w/ a 4.0/180/Rhodes Scholarship, it seems to me that it owuld be a clear waste of resources to have a dean talk to the person for 10 minutes since they have basically decided that the person will get it. Thus I think it is possible that they might have decided that it is only worth the time to interview candidates for whom the interview might actually have some influence on the decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:42 pm

You are almost surely right that the email "decisions" are for the interview, but I am not sure if the email could have been more ambiguous if HLS tried. In fact, if one didn't know about the phone interviews, one would have no grounds on which to interpret it as meaning that the future "decision email" will be an invitation for a phone interview.

This all makes me wonder if there might be a small change in their policy. If you have someone w/ a 4.0/180/Rhodes Scholarship, it seems to me that it owuld be a clear waste of resources to have a dean talk to the person for 10 minutes since they have basically decided that the person will get it. Thus I think it is possible that they might have decided that it is only worth the time to interview candidates for whom the interview might actually have some influence on the decision.
I'm almost certain I heard that interviews will be given to EVERYONE they might admit. I believe KB actually said--you need to interview to get in, but an interview doesn't mean you're guaranteed. Or something to that effect.

In any case the interview never had a big influence anyway...I feel that most of the decisions were already made and if you had sub-par numbers you could only get in if you truly managed to dazzle her in 10 minutes.

MyLegendLives

New

Post by MyLegendLives » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Schola wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

I spoke to KB two weeks ago. She was very clear in saying that every admitted applicant MUST have an interview.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 pm

MumofCad wrote:
freestallion wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

HEY!

I think they consider "held" to be a decision. That happened to most people that didn't have an interview by Thanksgiving....and plenty later got in.
Ah I see... well I would be plenty happy with a held or WL. just please not a rejection so early in the cycle!

rotaxkarter

Bronze

Post by rotaxkarter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:45 pm

MumofCad wrote:Well I'm going optimistic now and taking tomorrow in the pool for the first invites.
Double booking my Oct 28th prediction? :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:47 pm

rotaxkarter wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Well I'm going optimistic now and taking tomorrow in the pool for the first invites.
Double booking my Oct 28th prediction? :P
Its fine. You guys can share a scorpion bowl. Moms can't hold their liquor anyway. :wink:

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:50 pm

If I submitted on 10/16 any chance I might hear back by first round or is that a pipe dream?

tamarind49

New

Post by tamarind49 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Also got the completion email despite having been under review for more than a week. I was so scared to open the email... thank god it wasn't a rejection! I wouldn't have been able to handle it so early :(

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:If I submitted on 10/16 any chance I might hear back by first round or is that a pipe dream?
You'll be in the first round. FWIW, they seemed to interview ALOT of URMs early, but didn't give many (if any) decisions in the first found of admits. There was alot of speculation as to why last year. So don't be surprised or disappointed if you get an early KB1, but not a per-Thanksgiving KB2. It doesn't mean as much for URMs to not get that quick decision after the first interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”