Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr. Somebody

Silver

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

There's also a lot of applicants who work during college. I don't think this is a strong soft at all. And as someone who interned on the Hill I doubt its a strong soft either. Getting one of those is not that difficult and given the number of social science majors who eventually apply to law school, a lot of them have internships under their belt. I can't speak for interning in the Parliament though.

Work experience post-grad isn't necessarily a big soft either unless you're applying to NU. Examples of strong softs are - starting a business, being a Katrina victim, winning an Olympic medal, etc

If you want to know how strong your soft is, then just ask yourself how many other applicants are likely to have the same thing....
Would having a big role in a new journal be considered helpful? What I was thinking was, yes, the Journal I'm on is less established (just published inaugural issue yesterday), but it requires a higher level of commitment and innovation because we're still trying to figure stuff out. Also, the Journal is one of only three of its kind in the nation. I didn't mention this on my application which may be to my detriment. But how many of you have read a general-interest Asian Studies journal?
Also I'm a member of a young pre-law fraternity. I'm barred from election due to my graduation date, so I don't have an executive position, but I can safely say nobody is applying to Harvard this year with the same Greek letters. I'm hoping this intrigues the Adcomms.
Slightly convincing? Yay/nay

I think it shows initiative but no I wouldn't think starting a journal would be considered unique.... you are thinking too narrowly, other applicants will have started publications on their own, newspapers or websites or blogs. Other applicants will have been in fraternities, not necessarily the same one you are in. But I think extracurricular college activities like those are very vanilla.

Not trying to demean your accomplishments, I wish I did all that cool stuff when I was in undergrad.

Anyways, I'm not an adcom. You can include it in your application and talk about it, but just don't count on it making a difference.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:50 pm

I am pretty sure each and every one of us are unique snowflakes. However, this thread being bumped on a Friday creates unnecessary excitement, therefore, could the people discussiong softs please create another thread titled "Have I done enough for Harvard?"

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:I am pretty sure each and every one of us are unique snowflakes. However, this thread being bumped on a Friday creates unnecessary excitement, therefore, could the people discussiong softs please create another thread titled "Have I done enough for Harvard?"
Lol. But +1 about the bumps increasing bloodpressure

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Byzantine wrote:
Wow, 4 letters, you're a gunner. I might as well relinquish my spot now, numbers twin. :evil:

I'd think any part-time employment is good. I personally have a lot respect for someone who helped put themselves through college (but still did well grade-wise)--it speaks to a level of intentionality on the part of the applicant. I've heard stories of adcomms remembering someone because they listed landscaping as a job, and they liked the down-to-earth personality. I listed fine-dining table service during college, and my high school summer job.

There will be a lot of applicants who have gone to private middle school and high school, an ivy undergrad, and all on their parent's money.
I'm worried about the four letters coming off as too unorganized, actually!!

Did you include a diversity statement?

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:I am pretty sure each and every one of us are unique snowflakes. However, this thread being bumped on a Friday creates unnecessary excitement, therefore, could the people discussiong softs please create another thread titled "Have I done enough for Harvard?"
But every time we make a new Harvard-related thread, someone has to come over and witch and moan about there being a new Harvard-related thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Lol wasabi I just looked at your stats... you are worrying way too much. You'll be fine

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
I'd agree that interning in Parliament/On the Hill ranges from an above-average to strong soft. It wouldn't make up for bad numbers, but it would set someone apart who was near the medians and have lots of number twins.
Well evidently I have lots of number twins on TLS, number twin. :wink: I also got a letter of recommendation from the MP who I interned with, which probably helps as well. In fact, I have too many letters of recommendation (I think). It's four, which is legal play here, but I think I read that Harvard preferred fewer, well-selected letters over four, poorly selected letters. I just happened to submit four due to a mailing mishap where my primary letter was lost in the Christmas mail and finally arrived on January 6... It was mailed December 7. In the meantime I had contacted other recommenders who were enthusiastic, but I just hope this doesn't come off as bad planning.

Do you think working part-time in college gives any tangible advantage over another K-JD who didn't bother to work when in school?

I'm trying to find out the relative worths of my softs and see if they can offset the fact that I'm coming straight out of undergrad.
Wow, 4 letters, you're a gunner. I might as well relinquish my spot now, numbers twin. :evil:

I'd think any part-time employment is good. I personally have a lot respect for someone who helped put themselves through college (but still did well grade-wise)--it speaks to a level of intentionality on the part of the applicant. I've heard stories of adcomms remembering someone because they listed landscaping as a job, and they liked the down-to-earth personality. I listed fine-dining table service during college, and my high school summer job.

There will be a lot of applicants who have gone to private middle school and high school, an ivy undergrad, and all on their parent's money.
There's also a lot of applicants who work during college. I don't think this is a strong soft at all. And as someone who interned on the Hill I doubt its a strong soft either. Getting one of those is not that difficult and given the number of social science majors who eventually apply to law school, a lot of them have internships under their belt. I can't speak for interning in the Parliament though.

Work experience post-grad isn't necessarily a big soft either unless you're applying to NU. Examples of strong softs are - starting a business, being a Katrina victim, winning an Olympic medal, etc

If you want to know how strong your soft is, then just ask yourself how many other applicants are likely to have the same thing....
I know by some TLS standards strong softs are Olympics medals, etc... however, I maintain that many of the ~ 2,000 LSAT takers who get 170+ every year are nerds with little to no work experience.

All I'm trying to say is that a [173/3.9 with work experience] > [173/3.9 nothing but the books].

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:15 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:

nah. I am snowflake but so is everyone else. I decided that I would not put any BS on any part of my app, but that it would be concise, honest, and punchy.

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:

nah. I am snowflake but so is everyone else. I decided that I would not put any BS on any part of my app, but that it would be concise, honest, and punchy.
Hm. I mentioned that I'm a Canadian citizen but having lived in the U.S. it gives me a certain perspective of both countries that most Americans and Canadians don't have. Also, that I'm devoutly on the Christian Left, which is relatively unusual. I'm an ethnic minority too, but I figure identifying as Asian American doesn't help me at all, so I left my ethnicity blank. Not that they can't figure it out from my last name.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:Also, that I'm devoutly on the Christian Left.
No way. I'm a devout Christian moderate, which isn't very common either. I didn't mention it but they can probably tell from my resume/activities.

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Byzantine wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:Also, that I'm devoutly on the Christian Left.
No way. I'm a devout Christian moderate, which isn't very common either. I didn't mention it but they can probably tell from my resume/activities.
If we both get in, we can be church buddies!

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Just realized I went UR on the 18th, schweet!

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:Just realized I went UR on the 18th, schweet!
I went UR about noon today. Let the worrying begin.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:21 pm

JosephusMyer wrote:
So ya'll should be getting the complete email in 6-10 days. I went UR on 1/11, got the complete email 1/19.

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Byzantine wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:
So ya'll should be getting the complete email in 6-10 days. I went UR on 1/11, got the complete email 1/19.
I know, but to be honest, any status change - no matter how routine - prompts a fresh round of worrying.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:46 pm

NOTHING today? :?

countercouper

New

Post by countercouper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Elendil wrote:NOTHING today? :?
I'm convinced KB1s/KB2s have been going out all week, but the sample size on TLS is just too small to reflect this. But I'd love to hear a convincing argument against this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Byzantine wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:
And I'm assuming after complete it's just.........................................................

(With the eventual possibility of a hold)

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:57 pm

countercouper wrote:
I'm convinced KB1s/KB2s have been going out all week, but the sample size on TLS is just too small to reflect this. But I'd love to hear a convincing argument against this.
I guess someone could also check LSN to see if anyone has updated in this week...

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:
And I'm assuming after complete it's just.........................................................

(With the eventual possibility of a hold)
Given the point of a hold is to compare earlier applicants to later ones, I wouldn't be surprised if January applicants like us just get straight decisions because there's no-one left to hold for. And obviously after complete some of us will hopefully get KB1s...

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
countercouper wrote:
I guess someone could also check LSN to see if anyone has updated in this week...
At least 2 LSN people have been accepted this week, it seems. Looks like a few dings too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:11 pm

JosephusMyer wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
countercouper wrote:
At least 2 LSN people have been accepted this week, it seems. Looks like a few dings too.
So maybe there's a trickle before their planned floods.

TheWatch

New

Post by TheWatch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

maybe people are slow to update lsn
Last edited by TheWatch on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Didn't you get the memo? Class is full already.

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Didn't you get the memo? Class is full already.
OK. Who's up for a fraud lawsuit for continuing to accept application fees when there are no more spaces? :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”