Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Fedexpress29

New

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by Fedexpress29 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while, but had a quick question. I submitted in early January, I've been complete since early February. I haven't received any correspondence at all since. Does this effectively mean that I have been held, or will I actually get an email that says that I have been held? It seems that most of the early January applicants have already heard back in some manner.

Thanks!

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Fedexpress29 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while, but had a quick question. I submitted in early January, I've been complete since early February. I haven't received any correspondence at all since. Does this effectively mean that I have been held, or will I actually get an email that says that I have been held? It seems that most of the early January applicants have already heard back in some manner.

Thanks!
I'm an early Jan submit and haven't heard back yet either.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 pm

brownpride wrote: Not yet. Submitted Jan 30, complete Feb 22. No word yet.
Sorry guys, might still be a few days.
I don't usually make snide comments on TLS, but... HAHAH this is cute. :D
You do realize the fact that YOU haven't heard anything means nothing other than... you haven't heard anything. You very well might not heard anything until mid-April or until long after many old holds have received decisions.

Fedexpress29

New

Post by Fedexpress29 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
You do realize the fact that YOU haven't heard anything means nothing other than... you haven't heard anything. You very well might not heard anything until mid-April or until long after many old holds have received decisions.

I understand that, but you would think that they would tell you that you were being held if they are effectively holding you until after many of the other individuals. Sorry my post was so obvious. Im really new on these TLS forums. :D

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Fedexpress29 wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

I understand that, but you would think that they would tell you that you were being held if they are effectively holding you until after many of the other individuals. Sorry my post was so obvious. Im really new on these TLS forums. :D
Haha, they weren't talking to you, they were talking to brownpride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fedexpress29

New

Post by Fedexpress29 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 pm

snehpets wrote:
Fedexpress29 wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

Haha, they weren't talking to you, they were talking to brownpride.
Oh good point haha. the answer seemed like it was towards me...

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Fedexpress29 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
People who are held receive a hold email that explicitly says they are on hold. If you haven't heard yet it might mean they'll hold you later on, it might mean they'll offer you a JS1 and it might mean you'll be rejected flat out. Unfortunately, different applications are processed at different speeds, and so comparing yourself to others who applied at the same time only reveals a limited amount of information; in this case, that you are not an "auto-admit."

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:33 pm

brownpride wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:So it looks like they're almost done then with the January submitters. They should be getting to the holds next week if they're scheduling the JS1s this week for people who submitted right before the deadline.
Not yet. Submitted Jan 30, complete Feb 22. No word yet.
Pretty much the same: Sub 1/29 - Complete 2/1 - UR 2/22

I'm guessing the wait's gonna be a little longer than that though, and I'm not going to be the least bit surprised to see a hold either.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
Lol all I meant is that all the late Jan submits haven't necessarily been finished yet. Some people seemed to think that was the case, so I was just saying they may not be done with them yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crystalized

New

Post by crystalized » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:50 pm

JS1 email - 2/24
UR - 1/10
(UR email - 1/19)

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but..."Ms. Soban" or "Jessica" during the JS1? My initial inclination would be the former, at least until she says otherwise, but she did sign the email "Jessica."

Thoughts? What did everybody else do?

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 pm

jd5 wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but..."Ms. Soban" or "Jessica" during the JS1? My initial inclination would be the former, at least until she says otherwise, but she did sign the email "Jessica."

I think it's perfectly fine to ask at the beginning of the conversation. On the one hand, "Jessica" would be the default for the corporate world (where she's been for a while). On the other, "Ms. Soban" is more appropriate for the Dean of Admissions, but might create unnecessary distance if she is more used to "Jessica." So just ask politely :)

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 am

jd5 wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but..."Ms. Soban" or "Jessica" during the JS1? My initial inclination would be the former, at least until she says otherwise, but she did sign the email "Jessica."

I went with Dean Soban. It just seemed easier. Thank you everyone for all of your help in this (especially the awesome Byz and JLC). JS was a great conversationalist and really had me at ease. We talked a little about my PS and more about my Resume'. Overall, it was a really positive experience and I have to wish everyone the best of luck. Here is hoping for a strong TLS showing in the 2015 class!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:47 am

I went with Jessica. Really agonized over it (I still call my friends' parents by their last names, even when they have repeatedly asked me not to... it wasn't in a "Will it keep me out of HLS?!" way, but more "God, I don't want to be rude" way), but I doubt she cared either way (and I got a JS2, FWIW :wink: )

I think her background in business gives the above comment some credit. I was used to calling people of all levels and backgrounds by their first name, even when they had a title or honorific.

Just do whatever feels comfortable. If it's Jessica don't worry that she'll think you're an insolent prick. If it's Dean Soban don't worry that it's too formal.

Good luck!

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 am

JS1 email today!!

Submitted in early January, UR in late January, complete in early February

EDIT: Also, not that it really matters, but does anyone know what percent of people who get the HLS phone interview actually end up accepted? It's unclear to me just how good of a sign it is to get the JS1.

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:52 am

lessthanjake wrote:JS1 email today!!

Submitted in early January, UR in late January, complete in early February

EDIT: Also, not that it really matters, but does anyone know what percent of people who get the HLS phone interview actually end up accepted? It's unclear to me just how good of a sign it is to get the JS1.
It was about 80% last year.

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

JS1 email this morning! And congrats on yours lessthanjake.

Any of you recent JS1ers willing to PM me some helpful info?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 am

brownpride wrote:JS1 email this morning! And congrats on yours lessthanjake.

Ah Congrats! I'm torn between the positive sign that you got one and the unfortunate fact that I didn't. yet. Put in a good word for me during your JS1.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 am

Congratulations! It looks like we have almost reached the very end of the immediate pre-deadline submits...

brownpride

Bronze

Post by brownpride » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
brownpride wrote:JS1 email this morning! And congrats on yours lessthanjake.

Ah Congrats! I'm torn between the positive sign that you got one and the unfortunate fact that I didn't. yet. Put in a good word for me during your JS1.
Won't have to, she mentioned in the email that yours is coming later today.

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 am

Congratulations to all the new JS1ers! Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about JS1s.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 am

Elendil wrote:Congratulations! It looks like we have almost reached the very end of the immediate pre-deadline submits...
Lessthankjake went UR early jan, which means he probably
Submitted sometime in December. Im an early
Jan submit and havent heard anything yet. So Im not so sure we are at the end of the line. What makes you think so?

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

MichelFoucault wrote:
Elendil wrote:Congratulations! It looks like we have almost reached the very end of the immediate pre-deadline submits...
Jan submit and havent heard anything yet. So Im not so sure we are at the end of the line. What makes you think so?
No, Lessthanjake went UR in late January and the recent JS1s have (with a few exceptions, like Lessthanjake) generally gone in chronological order. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. And Brownpride submitted literally two days before the deadline and just received a JS1.

I'm not saying that this is the "end of the line", for the record. I'm just saying that they've done preliminary reviews of virtually all applications at this point, so I'm being a wishful member of the "hold" group by thinking that they're going to get back around to us, finally. :wink:

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am

Elendil wrote:
MichelFoucault wrote:
No, Lessthanjake went UR in late January and the recent JS1s have (with a few exceptions, like Lessthanjake) generally gone in chronological order. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. And Brownpride submitted literally two days before the deadline and just received a JS1.

I'm not saying that this is the "end of the line", for the record. I'm just saying that they've done preliminary reviews of virtually all applications at this point, so I'm being a wishful member of the "hold" group by thinking that they're going to get back around to us, finally. :wink:
Oops, you're right. I misread/misremembered jakes post. I agree with your assessment.

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 pm

MichelFoucault wrote:
I don't know why it bugs me (again) that someone makes a comment like that :?
But it kind of does, nonetheless. I understand many of you are insanely exceptional candidates with stellar acceptances, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will hear anything anytime soon. I guess it just sounds strangely presumptuous to assume that you will, when other equally qualified candidates have been passed over. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”