Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aperfectmap

New

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by aperfectmap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 pm

kulshan wrote:
annyong wrote: Anyways, do those of you who've had your interviews already have any advice for those of us who will have ours this week and next? I know the questions are pretty standard, but any collected wisdom would be much appreciated!
I would say just give some genuine thought to the questions she's been asking, find a relatively quiet place to wait for the call, and be yourself!
Quiet, like the middle of my 7th grade math class at the end of the day. She seemed apologetic about interrupting my lesson on converting word phrases to multi-step equations.

That's what they get for not specifying whether they were going to call on Eastern time or Mountain.

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:17 pm

bok92 wrote:what kind of answers do you guys come up with for "why law"?
I'm having a bit of trouble with this as well. Don't want my answer to seem shallow or overly contrived.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 pm

aperfectmap wrote: Quiet, like the middle of my 7th grade math class at the end of the day. She seemed apologetic about interrupting my lesson on converting word phrases to multi-step equations.

That's what they get for not specifying whether they were going to call on Eastern time or Mountain.
Ha! At least being in the middle of things probably kept you from being too nervous in the run-up to the call. I'm also in Mountain time, and it didn't occur to me that the call was scheduled for Eastern time until the day before. I had to be on campus, so I found a back hallway area that turned out to be a very popular place for making and taking phone calls. When I started my call, a couple of other people left. Maybe I was talking really loud :S.

aperfectmap

New

Post by aperfectmap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 pm

kulshan wrote:
aperfectmap wrote: Quiet, like the middle of my 7th grade math class at the end of the day. She seemed apologetic about interrupting my lesson on converting word phrases to multi-step equations.

Ha! At least being in the middle of things probably kept you from being too nervous in the run-up to the call. I'm also in Mountain time, and it didn't occur to me that the call was scheduled for Eastern time until the day before. I had to be on campus, so I found a back hallway area that turned out to be a very popular place for making and taking phone calls. When I started my call, a couple of other people left. Maybe I was talking really loud :S.
I was considering telling my kids, "If Mr. Aperfectmap runs out of the room like a madman halfway through class, don't worry," but settled for telling them that I had an important call to take. Luckily, they didn't ask questions about it because they don't know I'm leaving at the end of the year, and it didn't seem like a good time to bring it up.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am

aperfectmap wrote: I was considering telling my kids, "If Mr. Aperfectmap runs out of the room like a madman halfway through class, don't worry," but settled for telling them that I had an important call to take. Luckily, they didn't ask questions about it because they don't know I'm leaving at the end of the year, and it didn't seem like a good time to bring it up.
Haha, yeah, I've considered keeping my phone out later in the semester when calls might be coming in. I only have to teach 2 hours per week, though, so the chances that the call comes while I'm teaching are pretty small.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:16 am

This is encouraging! *knocks profusely on wood* From the Assistant Dean's corner, 2010:

"For those of you unfamiliar with this, one requirement for admission to Harvard Law is that you have a short phone interview with me. In addition to giving me the pleasure of getting to know you a little bit, the interview is a great opportunity for me to learn something about you that I might not pick up from your application.

Everyone invited to interview is a pretty strong candidate; generally, an invitation to interview means that you have a good chance of admission. Now that doesn’t mean that the interview is dispositive, because we’re interviewing a wide range of candidates. In some cases we have a really strong evaluation of your candidacy and the interview is more about making sure you’ll be a good fit for HLS; in other cases the committee may be a bit more uncertain of where you stand or we may have a specific question about something on your application. The interview gives me another chance to get a sense of what you can add to the class.

It’s a pretty straightforward conversation, and to a large extent I give out the questions ahead of time. So there shouldn’t be any surprises. Being somewhat prepared is critical – I’m a little bit shocked if you can’t articulate why you’re interested in coming to law school. In general though, if you do a little homework, come prepared, and honestly convey why you’re interested in law school and Harvard Law, you’re likely to have a good interview."

planeride

New

Post by planeride » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

More KB1s today please! 8)

igelchen

New

Post by igelchen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

I asked if she thought the drop in LSATs administered will impact H's admissions, and she said she doesn't think it'll change the top-end at all, still plenty of qualified candidates-- such as all of yourselves. :>

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm

igelchen wrote:KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

I asked if she thought the drop in LSATs administered will impact H's admissions, and she said she doesn't think it'll change the top-end at all, still plenty of qualified candidates-- such as all of yourselves. :>
lol @ you actually asking.

Anyway, checking in (as if I have a chance). Feel arrogant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

instantwonton

New

Post by instantwonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
igelchen wrote:KB1 report: What are you up to, why law, do you know what you want to study in law school.

lol @ you actually asking.

Anyway, checking in (as if I have a chance). Feel arrogant.
Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

(I hope I didn't screw mine up with all my nervous laughter lol)
Same questions everyone else has been saying... Mine was like exactly 8 mins long. Now the big wait starts.... Eep!!!! :/ :)

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm

instantwonton wrote: Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

Same questions everyone else has been saying... Mine was like exactly 8 mins long. Now the big wait starts.... Eep!!!! :/ :)
Why would you mislead me like this? ..

(also, are you a URM? survived the holocaust, etc?)

instantwonton

New

Post by instantwonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
instantwonton wrote: Hey I have similar numbers and had my kb1 today... You definitely have a chance!

Lol... Nope! Nothing like that at all! 2 yrs of solid work experience is my best soft... I'll keep you updated on if I actually get in or not :p.... But hopefully you'll have tour kb1 by then too!

instantwonton

New

Post by instantwonton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:04 pm

instantwonton wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

Lol... Nope! Nothing like that at all! 2 yrs of solid work experience is my best soft... I'll keep you updated on if I actually get in or not :p.... But hopefully you'll have tour kb1 by then too!
Your I mean... Not tour haha... Stupid iPhone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm

instantwonton wrote: Lol... Nope! Nothing like that at all! 2 yrs of solid work experience is my best soft... I'll keep you updated on if I actually get in or not :p.... But hopefully you'll have tour kb1 by then too!

Thank youuu<33

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Interesting. I hope she's wrong lol.

Anyone get a KB1 today?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 pm

for those who did or gonna do their kb1's...u guys arent gonna send a thank u email right? seems kinda pointless considering the email address is the general harvard law address....

bleylaw

New

Post by bleylaw » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:37 pm

its okay to say were not exactly sure what kind of law right? dont they want us to like learn from them or something like that? especially if only an ug?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starr3287

New

Post by starr3287 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Is anyone who received a KB1 so far planning on sending a "thank you" email? Is that overkill?

Thanks!

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:52 pm

I wasn't planning on it.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone sending a thank you email....

dean159

New

Post by dean159 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Just had my KB1. It was really very relaxed and seemed like it was over pretty quickly. My questions were similar to everyone elses. What are you doing lately, why law and what areas of law are you particularly interested in.

Good luck to everyone else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Got my application in late last week; any one know how long it usually takes to get your KB1? (assuming that you do, in fact, get the KB1?)

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:32 pm

bleylaw wrote:its okay to say were not exactly sure what kind of law right? dont they want us to like learn from them or something like that? especially if only an ug?

It's ok if you don't tell them you want specialize in municipal finance law, but you should have a general idea of why you want to go to law school, rather than iunno.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 pm

m3taphysician

New

Post by m3taphysician » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:The question of what kind of law you want to go into will come up again in job interviews. I'm not sure about the advice for the KB1, but I've heard the general idea of interviews is to get specific if you can really back it up, otherwise state that you're open to learning.

Illustrative examples:
If you majored in econ/finance in undergrad, worked in wall-street for a couple years at, say, Goldman, and are now in law school, it makes sense to say "Corporate".
Or, if you majored in computer science, worked at, say, Google, and are now in law school, it makes sense to say "Intellectual Property."
If you are straight from undergrad with a liberal arts major like anthropology, it is probably nonsensical to say "Patent Law."

Use your best judgment.
Good to know. Thanks a lot!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”