Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snehpets

Silver

Re: Harvard 2012 applicants (class of 2015)

Post by snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:55 pm

I gave in and sent a grade update. I doubt it makes a difference, but I would probably regret not knowing one way or the other if it might have increased my chances.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:00 pm

snehpets wrote:I gave in and sent a grade update. I doubt it makes a difference, but I would probably regret not knowing one way or the other if it might have increased my chances.
Id say it was a good idea. If itll boost your GPA close to median then it puts you in a better position

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:02 pm

icedflames wrote:
snehpets wrote:I gave in and sent a grade update. I doubt it makes a difference, but I would probably regret not knowing one way or the other if it might have increased my chances.
Id say it was a good idea. If itll boost your GPA close to median then it puts you in a better position
And answers the question of whether your GPA would fall if your transcript got updated. You should've done it sooner IMO.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
icedflames wrote:
And answers the question of whether your GPA would fall if your transcript got updated. You should've done it sooner IMO.
Well it only increased it .01, .02 MAYBE, the earliest I could've done it was like...yesterday, and I was already at median.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:30 pm

snehpets wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
icedflames wrote:
Well it only increased it .01, .02 MAYBE, the earliest I could've done it was like...yesterday, and I was already at median.
I know but if you had new grades to submit, by submitting them you would have answered the question "Will her new grades cause an increase, decrease, or no change?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:34 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
snehpets wrote: Well it only increased it .01, .02 MAYBE, the earliest I could've done it was like...yesterday, and I was already at median.
I know but if you had new grades to submit, by submitting them you would have answered the question "Will her new grades cause an increase, decrease, or no change?"
Haha, yeah, I agree with that part. I didn't bother because I'm not that attached to getting into Harvard (probably because my shot is pretty slim) and I already had to pay to send one directly to Columbia. I would like to have Harvard as an option though, so I might as well do everything I can. I feel like I'm probably headed for the waitlist though, even if this pushes me up to 3.9.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Who knows, snehpets. As far as I know, 3.9 is considered a pretty significant threshold in terms of admissions. Your chances could be better than you think. Fingers crossed.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Shooter wrote:Who knows, snehpets. As far as I know, 3.9 is considered a pretty significant threshold in terms of admissions. Your chances could be better than you think. Fingers crossed.
Eh, unfortunately it looks like I'll probably be at a 3.89. My Bs are counting as B minuses, I think. Oh well. Best of luck to everyone here!

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:20 pm

For anyone tracking the progress of other applicants:

Submit 11/22, Complete 12/12, no KB1.

:(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lemon Lyman

New

Post by Lemon Lyman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm similar to you Shooter. Sent 11/17, Complete 12/7. No KB1.

Although I'm pretty sure my LSAT is too low for a realistic shot.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 pm

In my experience, not getting a response usually leads to getting held. Not the worst thing in the world, but not great.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Shooter wrote:In my experience, not getting a response usually leads to getting held. Not the worst thing in the world, but not great.
I know but I feel like if it's not going to be love at first sight than I don't want them.

JUST KIDDING I LOVE YOU LET ME IN.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Shooter wrote:In my experience, not getting a response usually leads to getting held. Not the worst thing in the world, but not great.
I know but I feel like if it's not going to be love at first sight than I don't want them.

JUST KIDDING I LOVE YOU LET ME IN.
Does anyone know how many URMs have gotten KB1's? From LSN it seems like a strikingly low number of them have received KB1's thus far (strikingly low relative to the number of URMs who have generally been admitted in years past).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Does anyone know how many URMs have gotten KB1's? From LSN it seems like a strikingly low number of them have received KB1's thus far (strikingly low relative to the number of URMs who have generally been admitted in years past).
I know of a few who post here: Spek, MyLegendLives, LuffyChoppa, sh@keandb@ake, LaCumparsita, Ish531, I'm not sure who else. They seem to be favoring people with very high GPAs, though. I mean some of the people I listed have both, but if there's a discrepancy between the two, so far HLS seems to be loving the high GPA lower LSAT splitters more than the reverse. MickeyD is URM and got in the mid 170s and is still sans KB1 too, FWIW.
Last edited by amc987 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 pm

amc987 wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:Does anyone know how many URMs have gotten KB1's? From LSN it seems like a strikingly low number of them have received KB1's thus far (strikingly low relative to the number of URMs who have generally been admitted in years past).
I know of a few who post here: Spek, MyLegendLives, LuffyChoppa, sh@keandb@ake, LaCumparsita, Ish531, I'm not sure who else. They seem to be favoring people with very high GPAs, though. I mean some of the people I listed have both, but if there's a discrepancy between the two, so far HLS seems to be loving the high GPA lower LSAT splitters than the reverse. MickeyD is URM and got in the mid 170s and is still sans KB1 too, FWIW.
Don't know of a single traditional URM splitter with a KB1. :?

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:34 pm

amc987 wrote:
I know of a few who post here: Spek, MyLegendLives, LuffyChoppa, sh@keandb@ake, LaCumparsita, Ish531, I'm not sure who else. They seem to be favoring people with very high GPAs, though. I mean some of the people I listed have both, but if there's a discrepancy between the two, so far HLS seems to be loving the high GPA lower LSAT splitters than the reverse. MickeyD is URM and got in the mid 170s and is still sans KB1 too, FWIW.
Cuban with an early December KB1 here (grade request)...3.77 173

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
amc987 wrote:
Sorry Vincanity, I forgot about yours. I would argue that you aren't really a splitter, especially not as a URM, and that you just have very solid numbers instead. I think DavidBentley may have had one as well. If so, his numbers are similar to Vincanity's--not really a splitter or reverse splitter.

Gosh I'm outing myself as a huge TLS creeper. I'm not really, I swear. As a URM hoping to get a KB1 at some point in this lifetime, I've just been keeping track in my head.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Wasn't claiming to be a splitter, just a semi-URM KB1. Not that I'm saying it's a super solid GPA, either. No worries, amc.

sayornis

New

Post by sayornis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:21 am

Had my KB1. Lasted 10 minutes. Same questions as everyone else, except for one where she asked me to elaborate on this internship I have right now (it's probably the best soft I could ask for, feel free to PM for details, would be too obvious if I posted).

She was really nice and conversational!

Ahhh the waiting game begins. Good luck to everyone!

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:51 am

amc987 wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
amc987 wrote:
Sorry Vincanity, I forgot about yours. I would argue that you aren't really a splitter, especially not as a URM, and that you just have very solid numbers instead. I think DavidBentley may have had one as well. If so, his numbers are similar to Vincanity's--not really a splitter or reverse splitter.

Gosh I'm outing myself as a huge TLS creeper. I'm not really, I swear. As a URM hoping to get a KB1 at some point in this lifetime, I've just been keeping track in my head.
Hopefully they're holding off us traditional splitters until later in the cycle. If not, I guess it's true what they say about URM splitters- the boost applies more towards higher GPA/lower LSAT (ex. sh@kenb@ke).

Mitterrand

New

Post by Mitterrand » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:58 am

I have numbers relatively close to shake and submitted in late October and haven't heard yet. Hopefully they are just moving slowly?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wphr

New

Post by wphr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 am

i want to send a grade update too, but one of my grades hasn't come out yet... and yea my gpa will only go up by .01 or .02...

were there any applicants who received a KB1 after those who submitted after them had their KB1s??

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:53 am

wphr wrote:were there any applicants who received a KB1 after those who submitted after them had their KB1s??
Yup, quite a few.

planeride

New

Post by planeride » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
snehpets wrote:I'm exactly at both medians (technically above GPA after this semester, but sending a new transcript seems like a waste for a .01 increase) and I can't decide if I should expect anything or if I should give up hope and stop checking this thread. Based on last year's LSN it looks like people at the medians did mostly well, but I also know there are several people around/above them in this thread that haven't heard anything this year. I promise I'm not trying to do some weird humble brag thing (would be laughable in a thread with 180/4.0s, haha), I'm just sort of curious if you think KB1s might be coming for those of us closer to medians sometime in the future or if you think they'll continue to focus on those much higher (or with awesome softs). Taking all opinions no matter how made up! :) And don't worry about crushing my hopes, I can take it. I honestly would be kind of relieved to have no excuse not to go to NYC.

also, to ds princess, thinking one's KB1 went badly seems to be a pretty common theme in this thread. I'm sure it's okay :)
When looking at the lsn profiles most relevant to my own interests, there were 8 or so applicants last year with 173's and 3.9+'s and they eventually all got in. I think one might have been a WL accept. This cycle there are something like 4 or 5 profiles with those numbers who haven't gotten in who submitted around 11/1. This leads me to believe that H is definitely doing things somewhat differently this year.

Edit: I just pray that something isn't cutting class size. It seems silly for them to, but it's always a possibility.
This suggestion almost made me choke on my lunch. Don't even think about it, Harvard!

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 pm

No activity today...? :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”