NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:14 pm

indigomachine wrote:
mattbarnes123 wrote:Still UR. NYU is a big reach for me (3.95/168/WE), but here's to hoping for a reach! This next month of waiting is gonna suck,lol. Good luck everyone!


If it's any comfort, the last two kids to get in from my school (that I know of) had really similar stats to that. Not helpful to me since I'm kind of more *average* than that by nature of having a higher LSAT and lower GPA, but I'd think the high GPA certainly gives you a boost :)


Actually since high LSAT's are typically rarer than high GPA's, you're "less average" than someone with the reverse and thus more desirable, or at least that's what I tell myself every morning :D

MixedIn
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby MixedIn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Strange wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
mattbarnes123 wrote:Still UR. NYU is a big reach for me (3.95/168/WE), but here's to hoping for a reach! This next month of waiting is gonna suck,lol. Good luck everyone!


If it's any comfort, the last two kids to get in from my school (that I know of) had really similar stats to that. Not helpful to me since I'm kind of more *average* than that by nature of having a higher LSAT and lower GPA, but I'd think the high GPA certainly gives you a boost :)


Actually since high LSAT's are typically rarer than high GPA's, you're "less average" than someone with the reverse and thus more desirable, or at least that's what I tell myself every morning :D



Sticky-noting this to my alarm clock!

hobojarpen
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby hobojarpen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed and praying daily! My #s are far from median (3.61/170), but it would be damn awesome if I got in and became an AnBryce scholar. My application went UR as of 11/17 so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Lol @ NYU caring about softs.


Yeah not a lot of yellow amongst the green on the LSN graph.


Someone compiled the data for people at both medians and something like 98% of people were accepted. They're a numbers whore plain and simple.


this is so comforting.

User avatar
Boston_NYG2245
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Under review since 11/9, maybe if I check my status enough times it will change. I need to find more stuff to do with my time...

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:22 pm

NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Tim0thy222 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


That's interesting that you mentioned multiple LSATs, and very relevant to my interests. Have you seen any instances of multiple LSATs causing somebody to get waitlisted/rejected when they would've been in with the same numbers but only one LSAT? I tried to find examples of this on LSN but didn't have much luck.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


That's interesting that you mentioned multiple LSATs, and very relevant to my interests. Have you seen any instances of multiple LSATs causing somebody to get waitlisted/rejected when they would've been in with the same numbers but only one LSAT? I tried to find examples of this on LSN but didn't have much luck.

What was your first? I have a feeling you will be judged mostly on your high one because you probably have a large discrepancy. I really can't speak to it much because my sample size is so small, but I am aware of a couple people with similar GPA to me and higher LSAT, but averaged out to be a little below me that didn't get in.

I think your situation is pretty difficult to predict based on multiple LSATs and big splitter. Best of luck though and I would love for you to potentially come to NYU. Awesome school in the best city in the world. Can't go wrong.

(Sorry this wasn't more helpful :oops: )

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby thelawyler » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the multiple LSAT thing, but hopefully it's just something they say in an attempt to maintain an image of being more selective.

PigBodine
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby PigBodine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


It's really weird to see you posting, because I've been combing data on LSN for ages, and you're one of the two or three people from last year that have the *exact* same numbers that I do (3.6/173). I've been going back and forth for the last month as to whether I should lock up UVA with ED, or let my cycle play out. The biggest factor to think about is that last year it looks like anyone with a 3.4 and a 173 got in at NYU (trying to boost their gaudy LSAT medians, I guess), whereas the two cycles before that people with our numbers were a pretty clear WL-->deny. If I were sure that NYU wanted to go after 173s again this year, I'd feel a lot better about going through a full cycle. As it is, I'm tempted to lock it up. There there some people with similar numbers in the last few years who got money at Columbia, and some people who got shut out of the T14.
Last edited by PigBodine on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Tim0thy222 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:46 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


That's interesting that you mentioned multiple LSATs, and very relevant to my interests. Have you seen any instances of multiple LSATs causing somebody to get waitlisted/rejected when they would've been in with the same numbers but only one LSAT? I tried to find examples of this on LSN but didn't have much luck.

What was your first? I have a feeling you will be judged mostly on your high one because you probably have a large discrepancy. I really can't speak to it much because my sample size is so small, but I am aware of a couple people with similar GPA to me and higher LSAT, but averaged out to be a little below me that didn't get in.

I think your situation is pretty difficult to predict based on multiple LSATs and big splitter. Best of luck though and I would love for you to potentially come to NYU. Awesome school in the best city in the world. Can't go wrong.

(Sorry this wasn't more helpful :oops: )


That is helpful, thanks!

My previous LSAT was a 167, so it was a 10 point jump, hopefully enough for them to put the most weight on the highest score. Yeah, I think my situation is pretty tough to predict, especially when you throw the ED into the mix, there's really no data to go off of. Anyway, thanks for wishing me luck (I need all I can get!), and I hope I get to go to NYU too!

Now... I wait.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 pm

PigBodine wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


It's really weird to see you posting, because I've been combing data on LSN for ages, and you're one of the two or three people from last year that have the *exact* same numbers that I do (3.6/173). I've been going back and forth for the last month as to whether I should lock up UVA with ED, or to let my cycle play out. The biggest factor to think about is that last year it looks like anyone with a 3.4 and a 173 got in at NYU (trying to boost their gaudy LSAT medians, I guess), whereas the two cycles before that people with our numbers were a pretty clear WL-->deny. If I were sure that NYU wanted to go after 173s again this year, I'd feel a lot better about going through a full cycle. As it is, I'm tempted to lock it up. There there some people with similar numbers in the last few years who got money at Columbia, and some people who got shut out of the T14.

Creep :wink:

It really depends on what your preference is. If you would like to be at NYU at sticker-ish more than UVA, I think you'll get in. It's not a guarantee, but I think it's pretty likely. That said, without an ED you're not a guarantee at UVA. I was WLed and I wrote a why UVA (half-heartedly though, tbf).

Columbia will probably be about 50/50 for you (yeah I know, I'm taking a real chance by giving you that advice...). Feel free to ask me any questions either here or via PM.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 pm

thelawyler wrote:Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the multiple LSAT thing, but hopefully it's just something they say in an attempt to maintain an image of being more selective.

It's real, but I would guess they will be less strict about it during this cycle, since they are likely to have a drop in applicants. Also, NYU is losing some ground on C and C in other metrics, so keeping the numbers up is even more important.

PigBodine
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby PigBodine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


It's really weird to see you posting, because I've been combing data on LSN for ages, and you're one of the two or three people from last year that have the *exact* same numbers that I do (3.6/173). I've been going back and forth for the last month as to whether I should lock up UVA with ED, or to let my cycle play out. The biggest factor to think about is that last year it looks like anyone with a 3.4 and a 173 got in at NYU (trying to boost their gaudy LSAT medians, I guess), whereas the two cycles before that people with our numbers were a pretty clear WL-->deny. If I were sure that NYU wanted to go after 173s again this year, I'd feel a lot better about going through a full cycle. As it is, I'm tempted to lock it up. There there some people with similar numbers in the last few years who got money at Columbia, and some people who got shut out of the T14.

Creep :wink:

It really depends on what your preference is. If you would like to be at NYU at sticker-ish more than UVA, I think you'll get in. It's not a guarantee, but I think it's pretty likely. That said, without an ED you're not a guarantee at UVA. I was WLed and I wrote a why UVA (half-heartedly though, tbf).

Columbia will probably be about 50/50 for you (yeah I know, I'm taking a real chance by giving you that advice...). Feel free to ask me any questions either here or via PM.


Haha, thanks. Like I said, I've really been going back and forth, but I guess that tips things a little away from EDing. Based on a bunch of factors, I don't really think that we'll see any medians moving in the T14 as a result of the decrease in LSATs, but mainly I'm hoping that NYU won't get fancy and change their admissions model. If it's anything other than the one they used last year, I'm probably out. Not a lot of room for error.

Additionally, I've got a lock of your hair in my scrapbook.

hobojarpen
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby hobojarpen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


That's interesting that you mentioned multiple LSATs, and very relevant to my interests. Have you seen any instances of multiple LSATs causing somebody to get waitlisted/rejected when they would've been in with the same numbers but only one LSAT? I tried to find examples of this on LSN but didn't have much luck.


Hmm, my GPA and highest LSAT score are both slightly above 25%. So, even if they don't consider my other/lower LSAT scores (over 10 point difference), NYU is still going to be a reach for me. Hoping for the best though.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:39 pm

My app just went under review, applied early Nov for those interested.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby indigomachine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:03 pm

indigomachine wrote:I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?


Uh, not sure what the point of this is... UG institution is going to very rarely matter.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 pm

hobojarpen wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:NYU is the most predictable of the schools you guys are likely applying to. Ranked high enough we don't YP and ranked low enough we can't be picky. Also, we have a large class size. If it looks like you'll get in according to #s, you have a very very high chance. The only thing that MIGHT impact it is multiple LSATs. That's sort of hit and miss.


That's interesting that you mentioned multiple LSATs, and very relevant to my interests. Have you seen any instances of multiple LSATs causing somebody to get waitlisted/rejected when they would've been in with the same numbers but only one LSAT? I tried to find examples of this on LSN but didn't have much luck.


Hmm, my GPA and highest LSAT score are both slightly above 25%. So, even if they don't consider my other/lower LSAT scores (over 10 point difference), NYU is still going to be a reach for me. Hoping for the best though.



The consensus around here is that it doesnt matter much. I have a 13 pt jump as well. I really hope the guy above saying that anyone with a 3.4 173+ gets in because that will make me happy :D Even if they average my scores that means I'm good. that sounds too optimistic though

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?


Uh, not sure what the point of this is... UG institution is going to very rarely matter.


I'm not so sure about that. I discussed this with my pre-law advisor extensively (there are about 5 other people within my numbers range), and she more or less told me that they won't take all five. So in some respects, I'm competing against those 5 applicants. Certain schools (wont name them) have only taken at most 2 people from my school, despite there being cycles where there have been many more qualified, especially numbers-wise.

I don't know though.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?


Uh, not sure what the point of this is... UG institution is going to very rarely matter.


I'm not so sure about that. I discussed this with my pre-law advisor extensively (there are about 5 other people within my numbers range), and she more or less told me that they won't take all five. So in some respects, I'm competing against those 5 applicants. Certain schools (wont name them) have only taken at most 2 people from my school, despite there being cycles where there have been many more qualified, especially numbers-wise.

I don't know though.


In my limited experience with pre-law advisors they don't know shit. :D She could be the exception though

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Strange wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?


Uh, not sure what the point of this is... UG institution is going to very rarely matter.


I'm not so sure about that. I discussed this with my pre-law advisor extensively (there are about 5 other people within my numbers range), and she more or less told me that they won't take all five. So in some respects, I'm competing against those 5 applicants. Certain schools (wont name them) have only taken at most 2 people from my school, despite there being cycles where there have been many more qualified, especially numbers-wise.

I don't know though.


In my limited experience with pre-law advisors they don't know shit. :D She could be the exception though


this. also it's depressing how much i check this thread when it's not even december.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Strange wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?


Uh, not sure what the point of this is... UG institution is going to very rarely matter.


I'm not so sure about that. I discussed this with my pre-law advisor extensively (there are about 5 other people within my numbers range), and she more or less told me that they won't take all five. So in some respects, I'm competing against those 5 applicants. Certain schools (wont name them) have only taken at most 2 people from my school, despite there being cycles where there have been many more qualified, especially numbers-wise.

I don't know though.


In my limited experience with pre-law advisors theydon't know shit. :D She could be the exception though

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Strange wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I wonder if law schools in general have profiles of the range of numbers they're willing to accept from specific schools... I just think it's strange that the last two people from my uni were 168, 3.9X, non-URM. Never really thought of NYU as being particularly reverse splitter friendly...?


Uh, not sure what the point of this is... UG institution is going to very rarely matter.


I'm not so sure about that. I discussed this with my pre-law advisor extensively (there are about 5 other people within my numbers range), and she more or less told me that they won't take all five. So in some respects, I'm competing against those 5 applicants. Certain schools (wont name them) have only taken at most 2 people from my school, despite there being cycles where there have been many more qualified, especially numbers-wise.

I don't know though.


In my limited experience with pre-law advisors they don't know shit. :D She could be the exception though


Well--the fact is that a certain school (T6) has taken no more than 2 applicants from my school during any given cycle, despite there being years where there have been plenty of qualified candidates.

But, I see your point :D .

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm

In my limited experience with pre-law advisors they don't know shit.


Credited*100




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests