NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Perdevise wrote:Can you get merit aid without the special submit an essay scholarships? I will try for RTK, but in the likely chance I don't get it, is there anything? I tried looking up NYU merit scholarships on LSN, but it seems kind of erratic. Many people put "$1", too. Anyone know what that means?

Quite a few of the people I know starting this fall have $30k. It seems to be a pretty common number for people who try to negotiate with them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone with an amount different than 30k that didn't get a named scholarship.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Perdevise » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:56 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Can you get merit aid without the special submit an essay scholarships? I will try for RTK, but in the likely chance I don't get it, is there anything? I tried looking up NYU merit scholarships on LSN, but it seems kind of erratic. Many people put "$1", too. Anyone know what that means?

Quite a few of the people I know starting this fall have $30k. It seems to be a pretty common number for people who try to negotiate with them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone with an amount different than 30k that didn't get a named scholarship.


Thanks, Birdlaw.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Adding some new info to the OP :D


JD Application FAQ: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm
Admissions Q&A (helpful tips on the application process): http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm


TLS/LSN Wisdom


1.) C/O 2014 and Current Student Threads:
Applicants: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129091
Accepted to NYU: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140959
Attending: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=140482
Waitlist: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=154214
NYU student taking questions: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141745

2. TLS articles on NYU
About NYU - http://www.top-law-schools.com/nyu-law-school.html
LRAP - http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... rsity.html
TLS Users who got into NYU (stats graph) - stats.php?school=nyu

3. LSN links for 2011-2012 and 2010-2011
LSN 2011-2012 Cycle Applicants: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1112/
LSN 2010-2011 Cycle Applicants: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/

LSN 2011-2012 Graph: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
LSN 2010-2011 Graph: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 am

If OP would like to update their post with the link to the status checker as well!

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/logon.aspx

Citygirl1018
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Citygirl1018 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 am

Hello, all!

I am considering applying to NYU Law as well. Probably next year.

Anywho, I just had a few questions about preparing for the LSATs. What are the benefits to taking an actual prep course vs. self studying? I feel with the way I work I would benefit more from rigorous self study but I could be wrong. I would also save money and perhaps save myself from some of these horror stories I hear of wasted money due to a poor instructor or just a crappy LSAT prep company. Is there anyone here who was able to obtain a high LSAT through self study even though they did not completely grasp the work initially? Also, when schools look at your GPA are they looking at your gpa for the year you apply or is it cumulative?

Feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot! =]

User avatar
katie96
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby katie96 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If OP would like to update their post with the link to the status checker as well!

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/logon.aspx


Added :) Thanks!

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:20 pm

katie96 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If OP would like to update their post with the link to the status checker as well!

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/logon.aspx


Added :) Thanks!


You didn't include my additional research :(

User avatar
katie96
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby katie96 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 pm

freestallion wrote:
katie96 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If OP would like to update their post with the link to the status checker as well!

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/logon.aspx


Added :) Thanks!


You didn't include my additional research :(


My bad, FS! Total oversight on my part. Just edited post - thanks so much! :D

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 pm

katie96 wrote:
freestallion wrote:
katie96 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:If OP would like to update their post with the link to the status checker as well!

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/logon.aspx


Added :) Thanks!


You didn't include my additional research :(


My bad, FS! Total oversight on my part. Just edited post - thanks so much! :D


No problem, thanks :mrgreen:

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:00 am

Another school with:

NOTE: Transmission of electronic applications to this law school will begin on 9/15/2011. Please return to this page at that time to transmit your application.

So far the only schools that I've checked that you can send in an application earlier than the 15th are UVA and Columbia.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Does NYU average LSAT scores? I have a 167 and a 173 and NYU is my top choice. I am afraid that they will average my scores though. I've heard that they do this, and I believe they have reported it themselves. Any thoughts?

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Moomoo2u » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Another school with:

NOTE: Transmission of electronic applications to this law school will begin on 9/15/2011. Please return to this page at that time to transmit your application.

So far the only schools that I've checked that you can send in an application earlier than the 15th are UVA and Columbia.


SO ANNOYING! I like quadruple checked my NYU app to get it in as early as possible.

I'm going to call them and see if they take paper apps earlier than the 15th.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Moomoo2u » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:45 pm

freestallion wrote:Does NYU average LSAT scores? I have a 167 and a 173 and NYU is my top choice. I am afraid that they will average my scores though. I've heard that they do this, and I believe they have reported it themselves. Any thoughts?


I think they claim they do but I doubt they actually look at them and take the average. I suspect it's more what was said in a diff interview with a dean who said that if they see 163 165 and 167 they'll take the 165 as the most representative. They have no real incentive to average as they only have to report one LSAT score to LSAC and USNWR.

bball1997
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby bball1997 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 pm

So do you have to disclose minor traffic violations for NYU? It seems like NYU and Duke have C&F disclosures that are much stricter than the other schools I've filled out apps for.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:30 pm

bball1997 wrote:So do you have to disclose minor traffic violations for NYU? It seems like NYU and Duke have C&F disclosures that are much stricter than the other schools I've filled out apps for.


As long as you don't have to report parking tickets.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:03 pm

freestallion wrote:Does NYU average LSAT scores? I have a 167 and a 173 and NYU is my top choice. I am afraid that they will average my scores though. I've heard that they do this, and I believe they have reported it themselves. Any thoughts?

They claim to, and I have seen some evidence of it, but it certainly doesn't eliminate you. I would say NYU is a little stricter on that (traditionally) than CC. In reality, it is what it is, and you can't really do anything about it (unfortunately). Are you including an addendum for the jump?

bball1997 wrote:So do you have to disclose minor traffic violations for NYU? It seems like NYU and Duke have C&F disclosures that are much stricter than the other schools I've filled out apps for.

I asked admissions this last year, and they basically just said "when in doubt, we want people to err on the side of disclosure." It's not a big deal. They don't care about speeding tickets. If anything, they'll simply think that you're being super honest by disclosing every possible thing. Plus, it's not like we drive around here in Manhattan...

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
freestallion wrote:Does NYU average LSAT scores? I have a 167 and a 173 and NYU is my top choice. I am afraid that they will average my scores though. I've heard that they do this, and I believe they have reported it themselves. Any thoughts?

They claim to, and I have seen some evidence of it, but it certainly doesn't eliminate you. I would say NYU is a little stricter on that (traditionally) than CC. In reality, it is what it is, and you can't really do anything about it (unfortunately). Are you including an addendum for the jump?

bball1997 wrote:So do you have to disclose minor traffic violations for NYU? It seems like NYU and Duke have C&F disclosures that are much stricter than the other schools I've filled out apps for.

I asked admissions this last year, and they basically just said "when in doubt, we want people to err on the side of disclosure." It's not a big deal. They don't care about speeding tickets. If anything, they'll simply think that you're being super honest by disclosing every possible thing. Plus, it's not like we drive around here in Manhattan...



I don't think I'm doing an addendum because I didn't really have any reason for my low score the 1st time- just got nervous, didn't prepare well enough, etc. The second time around I was just more prepared. So I don't know what I'd write in an addendum. Do you think I should?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm

freestallion wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
freestallion wrote:Does NYU average LSAT scores? I have a 167 and a 173 and NYU is my top choice. I am afraid that they will average my scores though. I've heard that they do this, and I believe they have reported it themselves. Any thoughts?

They claim to, and I have seen some evidence of it, but it certainly doesn't eliminate you. I would say NYU is a little stricter on that (traditionally) than CC. In reality, it is what it is, and you can't really do anything about it (unfortunately). Are you including an addendum for the jump?

bball1997 wrote:So do you have to disclose minor traffic violations for NYU? It seems like NYU and Duke have C&F disclosures that are much stricter than the other schools I've filled out apps for.

I asked admissions this last year, and they basically just said "when in doubt, we want people to err on the side of disclosure." It's not a big deal. They don't care about speeding tickets. If anything, they'll simply think that you're being super honest by disclosing every possible thing. Plus, it's not like we drive around here in Manhattan...



I don't think I'm doing an addendum because I didn't really have any reason for my low score the 1st time- just got nervous, didn't prepare well enough, etc. The second time around I was just more prepared. So I don't know what I'd write in an addendum. Do you think I should?

No, I think LSAT addendums are silly for pretty much the exact reasons you listed. The best example I can think of that didn't get into NYU last cycle, but his numbers (high LSAT) would have suggested he would be, was a 3-time taker. I definitely know of people who retook and gained admission. You'll probably be treated more like somebody with a 171 or 172, would be my guess. But, it might not have any negative impact at all. I would say being treated like a 171 would be the worst case scenario.

Just so you know, all of this is based on my observations, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm not the most knowledgeable people on these things (and they are pretty unpredictable anyways). NYU goes by the numbers quite a bit.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Moomoo2u » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:42 pm

yea I'm in almost the same boat as freestallion (165,170) and I'm not writing one for the same reasons.

Anyone know how hispanic-friendly they are? I'm 1pt below median LSAT and just below 25% gpa :(

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Perdevise » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:yea I'm in almost the same boat as freestallion (165,170) and I'm not writing one for the same reasons.

Anyone know how hispanic-friendly they are? I'm 1pt below median LSAT and just below 25% gpa :(


I thought NYU's median was 172. Why is their 75%ile so high?

Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:03 am

hoping to get this one finished soon - want to add a thanks for all the excellent info that's already in this thread

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Moomoo2u » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:40 am

Perdevise wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:yea I'm in almost the same boat as freestallion (165,170) and I'm not writing one for the same reasons.

Anyone know how hispanic-friendly they are? I'm 1pt below median LSAT and just below 25% gpa :(


I thought NYU's median was 172. Why is their 75%ile so high?


thought it was 171 :X

it's ok I got mah waitlist ridin boots on.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:23 am

Moomoo2u wrote:
Perdevise wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:yea I'm in almost the same boat as freestallion (165,170) and I'm not writing one for the same reasons.

Anyone know how hispanic-friendly they are? I'm 1pt below median LSAT and just below 25% gpa :(


I thought NYU's median was 172. Why is their 75%ile so high?


thought it was 171 :X

it's ok I got mah waitlist ridin boots on.

Idk what our median s this year, but last year (when 25/75 was 169/175) the median was 172. I don't know what this year's is, but I would guess 172. I doubt it's 171 and it is really unlikely to be 173.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23 am

was 171 on the TLS site.

Is this still a 9/15/2011 app or can you send it now?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 am

Moomoo2u wrote:was 171 on the TLS site.

Is this still a 9/15/2011 app or can you send it now?


Just tried it, still 9/15.

And tagged.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions and 8 guests