NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cactuarX3

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:55 pm

169/3.8 here. if the difference between admit and deny was 0.04 in GPA, i'm going to cry

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:169/3.8 here. if the difference between admit and deny was 0.04 in GPA, i'm going to cry

169/4.0 here.

Still nothing.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 pm

170/3.8 and I doubt ill get in :(

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Lawbro wrote:170/3.8 and I doubt ill get in :(

Wouldn't give up. Had roughly these stats (slightly higher GPA) and was in first ED admit round. GL to everyone still waiting; pulling for you :)

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:169/3.8 here. if the difference between admit and deny was 0.04 in GPA, i'm going to cry

Can we have some hope due to the fact that deferred ED'ers haven't heard a thing yet?

FavoriteColorGRUE

Postby FavoriteColorGRUE » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

forever 12/14.......

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 pm

is the general consensus that all of us who are still UR from months ago will be wait listed?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:25 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:is the general consensus that all of us who are still UR from months ago will be wait listed?

not all because some 11/xers are still getting in a little, but yeah, basically all of us are wait list bound

knittycity

Postby knittycity » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:35 pm

do you think that also applies to ED'ers who haven't yet heard back? it seems like none of the ED holdovers on TLS have heard back (not to say, of course, that some ED holdovers out there have heard, just seems like not in this forum). i wonder, if the TLS ED holdovers from NYU here are a representative sample, if they deal with the holdover cases toward the end of the cycle, such that those candidates shouldn't expect to hear a decision (deny, waitlist, or admit) one way or the other until the tail end of the process, whereas regular candidates have a greater likelihood of hearing any time.

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm

knittycity wrote:do you think that also applies to ED'ers who haven't yet heard back? it seems like none of the ED holdovers on TLS have heard back (not to say, of course, that some ED holdovers out there have heard, just seems like not in this forum). i wonder, if the TLS ED holdovers from NYU here are a representative sample, if they deal with the holdover cases toward the end of the cycle, such that those candidates shouldn't expect to hear a decision (deny, waitlist, or admit) one way or the other until the tail end of the process, whereas regular candidates have a greater likelihood of hearing any time.

Have been dying over this question for weeks now!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm

knittycity wrote:do you think that also applies to ED'ers who haven't yet heard back? it seems like none of the ED holdovers on TLS have heard back (not to say, of course, that some ED holdovers out there have heard, just seems like not in this forum). i wonder, if the TLS ED holdovers from NYU here are a representative sample, if they deal with the holdover cases toward the end of the cycle, such that those candidates shouldn't expect to hear a decision (deny, waitlist, or admit) one way or the other until the tail end of the process, whereas regular candidates have a greater likelihood of hearing any time.

Unfortunately, I think very few held EDers actually get admitted. The majority of us will find ourselves on the wait list.

ETA: Oh, hi quaker! Sorry to be pessimistic.

knittycity

Postby knittycity » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes--that's true, very few do get admitted. But from my understanding, ED holdover is a category they take seriously in their admissions. That is, it isn't just a polite way of saying no.

Even if it is though, and very few are admitted through ED-HO, I am willing to bet that one of the reasons why is because they have the fewest spots available by the time they actually get to us. (that's right, I am one too, if you couldn't tell, haha).

So it's both the process and the intent that leads to fewer admits, in that case. I feel like they don't continually review the ED-Holdovers throughout regular--i feel it is more likely that they'd just deal with them all in a batch at the end. Of course, in asking this question to NYU both in December and in February, I got the same response...they neither confirmed nor denied the hypothesis. Which is why it's nice to engage in such speculation here!

knittycity

Postby knittycity » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Also--I think that yes, few ED holdovers get admitted, but they explained to me that they feel quite badly about putting the bulk of us on the waitlist as well, because it prolongs the limbo phase. I imagine that the majority get rejected, and a small number get waitlisted, and a smaller number get admitted.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

knittycity wrote:Also--I think that yes, few ED holdovers get admitted, but they explained to me that they feel quite badly about putting the bulk of us on the waitlist as well, because it prolongs the limbo phase. I imagine that the majority get rejected, and a small number get waitlisted, and a smaller number get admitted.

Who said they felt bad? Admissions?

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:47 pm

knittycity wrote:Also--I think that yes, few ED holdovers get admitted, but they explained to me that they feel quite badly about putting the bulk of us on the waitlist as well, because it prolongs the limbo phase. I imagine that the majority get rejected, and a small number get waitlisted, and a smaller number get admitted.

Knitty, IMHO, your analysis sounds spot on - and articulated much more concisely than I could have. However, if they were actually as "serious" about the ED-HO pool as they claim to be, then I do not believe they would wait until the end of the cycle to re-review us.

And Killingly - don't apologize. We've known this from the beginning. And I'm sure you're right, but at least you have a lot to be thrilled about!

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:48 pm

quaker10 wrote:

Knitty, IMHO, your analysis sounds spot on - and articulated much more concisely than I could have. However, if they were actually as "serious" about the ED-HO pool as they claim to be, then I do not believe they would wait until the end of the cycle to re-review us.

And Killingly - don't apologize. We've known this from the beginning. And I'm sure you're right, but at least you have a lot to be thrilled about!

Tis true. We're all just looking for some NYU closure.

knittycity

Postby knittycity » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm

I tried to post twice but messed iy up both times. I'll try again!

Killingly: yes. Admissions told me that they feel going from ED to HO (forgive the acronym) to WL is a "worst case scenario" because it leaves the applicant in decision limbo for so long. They try to avoid this by making a firm decision when they can, and favoring firm decisions when it comes to HO candidates because we've already been in limbo. So, that means that I agree few are admitted in our category, but I think most are rejected, not waitlisted. The WL and happy phone calls are for a few of the HO candidates, but not a majority.

Quaker--you're right, but I think that while a HO means they're still serious about considering us, our chances still drop by going to the bottom of the pile. That is, HO isn't a meaningless category--they still review us seriously, but obviously not right away (after all, if they reviewed us right away in January they aren't holding us over that long--they just read us!). So I think we go to the bottom of the pile, meaning that they're serious about trying to admit some of the HO applicants when they get to us, but there are fewer spots to give us by that time. So it winds up looking like it's a less meaningful category to be held over because it results in so many denied cases, but I think it has more to do with when they get to us.  Thin distinction, I know.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

I have not heard anything from NYU since I applied in early January. Does anyone think sending in a LOCI at this point would improve my chances of an acceptance?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Knittycity: That's really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Lawbro: It probably wouldn't hurt. If you have something good to say, I'd go ahead and write one.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 am

Forever UR indeed. Under review 11/2. Put me out of my misery already!

avd90

Postby avd90 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Forever UR indeed. Under review 11/2. Put me out of my misery already!

I feel you. I'm hoping for something, anything, to at least move me in some direction.

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 am

So AVD90 did you take the job or are you rolling the dice?

avd90

Postby avd90 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 am

Sammy841 wrote:So AVD90 did you take the job or are you rolling the dice?

hey, sooooooo I verbally committed, but I have yet to sign anything. I wrote NYU an email telling them about my situation and they said:

Your application is still under review. For some applications, the Committee needs a sense of the entire applicant pool before it can make a decision -- this is why it may take awhile for some applicants to receive a decision. The Committee is giving your file careful consideration and review. We appreciate your patience and you should receive a decision by the end of April.

As for the deferral policy, the Committee reviews requests for deferrals on a case-by-case basis. The Committee has granted two year deferrals for positions such as the one that you have described that require a 2 year commitment, however deferrals for two years cannot be guaranteed.

soooo it looks like I'll be waiting a while (or they just can't tell me anything). But honestly, if I get into NYU I really don't want to work... so we'll see. Who knows at this point. Not expecting anything better than a WL

Sammy841

Postby Sammy841 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 am

End of April! Noooooooooooo

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:22 am

Sammy841 wrote:End of April! Noooooooooooo

Right?! When I saw that I did a double take as well! You've had my app since October. The deadline was February. Entire applicant pool or not end of April is just cruel :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”