NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gravityrides0

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby gravityrides0 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

avd90 wrote:I can't stop singing I WANT YOUUUU. I WANT YOU SO BAAAAAAD. The Beatles really get my relationship with NYU. COMOOON. Can't stop hearing the guitar and John Lennon singing into my ear

if we were in public together i would be blushing and pretending i don't know you <3

scram202

Postby scram202 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

While I have no real shot here, ive been under my first review since 1/26 and really just want an official answer from NYU. Even though I am an autoding, i just wish they would give me an answer so i can squash that little remaining hope.

Munchkin318

Postby Munchkin318 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm

scram202 wrote:While I have no real shot here, ive been under my first review since 1/26 and really just want an official answer from NYU. Even though I am an autoding, i just wish they would give me an answer so i can squash that little remaining hope.

DITTO. It's that niggling hope that won't go away despite being an autoding. Sigh.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Munchkin318 wrote:
scram202 wrote:While I have no real shot here, ive been under my first review since 1/26 and really just want an official answer from NYU. Even though I am an autoding, i just wish they would give me an answer so i can squash that little remaining hope.

DITTO. It's that niggling hope that won't go away despite being an autoding. Sigh.

for a URM you aren't auto ding.. you could snatch an admit if your softs are strong, or at worst a WL.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

avd90 wrote:
Munchkin318 wrote:

for a URM you aren't auto ding.. you could snatch an admit if your softs are strong, or at worst a WL.

IIRC, the URM boost is less beneficial for people that are not US born

mikeylikesit

Postby mikeylikesit » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 pm

So for us residents of the Valley of Sad - does anyone know if historically they are just waiting to review us until they are finished with the auto-accepts/auto-dings? What is going on? :oops:

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm

mikeylikesit wrote:So for us residents of the Valley of Sad - does anyone know if historically they are just waiting to review us until they are finished with the auto-accepts/auto-dings? What is going on? :oops:

Chasm of despair!

But they're probably just waiting until April when the send out of the WLs.

legalabogada

Postby legalabogada » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Last edited by legalabogada on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm

legalabogada wrote:URM boost is less beneficial for people that are not US born.

Interesting. A little more on this?

I don't know. I just hear that foreign-born people don't get a boost, or if they do, it's small, while we all know that URMs can get a "LSAT boost" of up to 10 points depending on race/gender/socioeconomic status

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
legalabogada wrote:URM boost is less beneficial for people that are not US born.

I don't know. I just hear that foreign-born people don't get a boost, or if they do, it's small, while we all know that URMs can get a "LSAT boost" of up to 10 points depending on race/gender/socioeconomic status

Foreign students are not necessarily subject to the same hardships that URM boosts are designed to compensate for. That's about all I can really rationalize. It's all ambiguous anyway though. I'm guessing there is a bit of a boost, but not the same.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Foreign students are not necessarily subject to the same hardships that URM boosts are designed to compensate for. That's about all I can really rationalize. It's all ambiguous anyway though. I'm guessing there is a bit of a boost, but not the same.

A person is a URM if based on US population statistics they are underrepresented in law school relative to their percentage within the total population. This normally means African Americans, Native Americans, and Mexican Americans.

If a person is not from the US then they are not part of the underrepresented American population, hence why the word "American" follows each of the other words. If you are not an American...you may not be properly represented, but you also aren't considered in the same way.

I have no idea if that made sense, I'm on cold meds. Apologies.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm

J was talking about 1st generation immigrants, like someone who came in from Ethiopia when they were 12. They're African-American, they're US citizens.

Munchkin318

Postby Munchkin318 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

A person is a URM if based on US population statistics they are underrepresented in law school relative to their percentage within the total population. This normally means African Americans, Native Americans, and Mexican Americans.

If a person is not from the US then they are not part of the underrepresented American population, hence why the word "American" follows each of the other words. If you are not an American...you may not be properly represented, but you also aren't considered in the same way.

Makes sense. I guess being foreign erases URM compensation in a way. Thanks for the info! Although I never consider Canada being very foreign but still technically an international applicant.

legalabogada

Postby legalabogada » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Last edited by legalabogada on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:J was talking about 1st generation immigrants, like someone who came in from Ethiopia when they were 12. They're African-American, they're US citizens.

I was attempting to differentiate between US born and foreign born and raised. I don't know how it works with those born outside the country but raised in the US. I'm not sure where they draw the line. It's probably either based on citizenship or more of a gray area.

legalabogada

Postby legalabogada » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Last edited by legalabogada on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:46 pm

That is so interesting, I never actually thought about that. From my understanding, being foreign born and moving to the US counts---for example, I have a friend who was born in Mexico, moved here as a child, and definitely got the URM boost. Perhaps citizenship does come into play.

legalabogada

Postby legalabogada » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Last edited by legalabogada on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 am

I've been under first review since 11/22. Before Thanksgiving. I just want to know! NYU is my last school to hear from (out of 14), and I just want to be able to make up my mind!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 am

legalabogada wrote:^ Yes, but I think that if your friend were a permanent resident and not a USC that he/she would still benefit from the boost if he/she was raised in the US. I think that citizenship might not always be absolute determinant assuming the applicant is a permanent resident.

I feel like these situations would be where the personal or diversity statement really comes into play

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:00 am

Munchkin318 wrote:

Makes sense. I guess being foreign erases URM compensation in a way. Thanks for the info! Although I never consider Canada being very foreign but still technically an international applicant.[/quote]

Yes, as people above said, you can be EITHER URM or international, for the reasons listed above. So, if you were born in Malawi, you're perhaps a cool applicant, but you're not a URM candidate.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 am

Also, URM is a legally defined category when it comes to law school admissions. Law schools *have* to admit some African Americans, for example. If there is only one such applicant to NYU this year, NYU has to admit them, irrespective of their scores (more or less). If there is one African-born and raised candidate, NYU has no obligation to admit them whatsoever. The whole point of the URM clause is to help out US populations that have historically been underrepresented, so that they are not underrepresented in the future.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Obligatory "I want NYU so badly, please please please accept me" post

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:45 pm

hypothalamus wrote:Also, URM is a legally defined category when it comes to law school admissions. Law schools *have* to admit some African Americans, for example. If there is only one such applicant to NYU this year, NYU has to admit them, irrespective of their scores (more or less). If there is one African-born and raised candidate, NYU has no obligation to admit them whatsoever. The whole point of the URM clause is to help out US populations that have historically been underrepresented, so that they are not underrepresented in the future.

First I've ever heard of this. Do you have a link or a source? I'd love to read more about it.

(Not doubting you--just genuinely curious)

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm

hypothalamus wrote:Also, URM is a legally defined category when it comes to law school admissions. Law schools *have* to admit some African Americans, for example. If there is only one such applicant to NYU this year, NYU has to admit them, irrespective of their scores (more or less). If there is one African-born and raised candidate, NYU has no obligation to admit them whatsoever. The whole point of the URM clause is to help out US populations that have historically been underrepresented, so that they are not underrepresented in the future.

Hm. Wouldn't this kind of policy towards African Americans (ie making one an auto-admit) violate the Supreme Court's decision in Grutter? The court said it can favor URMs, but only if race is not the only factor in admission. If at least one African American is automatically admitted, that seems to presume that race was the only factor in their admission. But, I could be wrong.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”