NYU Class of 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Post by RonnyDworkin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Just got a call from NYU and almost shat my pants...but it turns out that my ED contract somehow never got there, and I just need to fax it over so they can give my application to the committee. Jeez.

Still this is exciting news. They're actually going through apps. I still don't have confirmation that they've received my Ed contract.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:07 am

Finally submitted. I dread the next several weeks of waiting. :(

curiousgeorgia

Bronze

Post by curiousgeorgia » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:50 pm

thatkid wrote:Finally submitted. I dread the next several weeks of waiting. :(
samee, any idea of when we'll start hearing back? (RD)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:54 pm

curiousgeorgia wrote:
thatkid wrote:Finally submitted. I dread the next several weeks of waiting. :(
samee, any idea of when we'll start hearing back? (RD)
First week of December based on LSN for last cycle.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Checking In. Just sent in my ED app.

I feel like I'm kind of charting new territory here, since there is so little data on someone with my numbers EDing...

So end of December is when we hear back?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

psach44

Bronze

Post by psach44 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:09 am

what are your #'s?

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:42 am

psach44 wrote:what are your #'s?
Check his profile. I think he's good....

Im considering ED as well

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Strange wrote:
psach44 wrote:what are your #'s?
Check his profile. I think he's good....

Im considering ED as well
I appreciate your vote of confidence, but I'm not so sure, especially considering I don't have any compelling softs, and my multiple LSATs.

You however, are probably in a much better position.

Just curious, is there any sort of TLS consensus about what difference multiple LSATs makes at NYU? I mean, they say they average them, but do we really believe that?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Just curious, is there any sort of TLS consensus about what difference multiple LSATs makes at NYU? I mean, they say they average them, but do we really believe that?
No.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Just curious, is there any sort of TLS consensus about what difference multiple LSATs makes at NYU? I mean, they say they average them, but do we really believe that?
No.

I've looked at that graph a million times, but looking at it in that context, I see why it would show that they don't care about multiple LSATs.

Since I've got your ear (or anyone else's?), is there any evidence that ED gives a boost? They say no on their website, but I was hoping that was not true as well. However, I am going through all the ED applicants last year, and I can't seem to find anyone who was accepted that wouldn't have been accepted anyway.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
No.

I've looked at that graph a million times, but looking at it in that context, I see why it would show that they don't care about multiple LSATs.

Since I've got your ear (or anyone else's?), is there any evidence that ED gives a boost? They say no on their website, but I was hoping that was not true as well. However, I am going through all the ED applicants last year, and I can't seem to find anyone who was accepted that wouldn't have been accepted anyway.
I agree. I'm leaning towards not EDing....

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
No.

I think that graph might answer this question as well. NYU is as big on numbers as any school in the T-14. If you have the numbers, you are in, and if the numbers come up short, you're out. This has the effect of making them very predictable, but that's not a good thing if your numbers don't stack up.

Having said all that, I would argue that someone with your numbers is potentially in some trouble under regular decision, and ED could provide the tiny boost you need. I think Strange will be fine RD.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
No.

I think that graph might answer this question as well. NYU is as big on numbers as any school in the T-14. If you have the numbers, you are in, and if the numbers come up short, you're out. This has the effect of making them very predictable, but that's not a good thing if your numbers don't stack up.

Having said all that, I would argue that someone with your numbers is potentially in some trouble under regular decision, and ED could provide the tiny boost you need. I think Strange will be fine RD.
It's definitely interesting to think about. I think that, based on the data from LSN, both NYU and Columbia don't give any kind of bump for ED -- a lot of schools have a sort of boilerplate 'ED will not make up for a weak overall application' thing to stop people from applying ED with 2.4/163 UPWARD TREND, or whatever, but these two seem to actually mean it -- it seems to be more like a binding early action. The only benefit is that you're guaranteed a quicker response. People are accepted and waitlisted from ED applications based on the same standards as RD, and the only flat rejection at the 3.5/173+ level (the 3.42/174) is from an ED.

I, and some people I've been talking with, are in a really weird spot with regard to EDing at the ~3.6/173 level -- Chicago & Columbia are probably out, even with ED, and NYU looks like a pretty safe bet with RD, with no boost from EDing. Because it's a good fit, I'd ED to NYU if I thought it would have some kind of benefit, but I don't think that there's any evidence that it will, from what I can tell.
Last edited by PigBodine on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:37 pm

PigBodine wrote:
Yeah. I think that, based on the data from LSN, both NYU and Columbia don't give any kind of bump for ED -- a lot of schools have a sort of boilerplate 'ED will not make up for a weak overall application' thing to stop people from applying ED with 2.4/163 UPWARD TREND, or whatever, but these two seem to actually mean it -- it seems to be more like a binding early action. The only benefit is that you're guaranteed a quicker response. People are accepted and waitlisted from ED applications based on the same standards as RD, and the only flat rejection at the 3.5/173+ level (the 3.42/174) is from an ED.

I, and some people I've been talking with, are in a really weird spot with regard to EDing at the ~3.6/173 level -- Chicago & Columbia are probably out, even with ED, and NYU looks like a pretty safe bet with RD, with no boost from EDing. Because it's a good fit, I'd ED to NYU if I thought it would have some kind of benefit, but I don't think that there's any evidence that it will, from what I can tell.
Why do you think Chi and CLS are out? Based on your numbers there were people who got accepted on LSN

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Strange wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
Yeah. I think that, based on the data from LSN, both NYU and Columbia don't give any kind of bump for ED -- a lot of schools have a sort of boilerplate 'ED will not make up for a weak overall application' thing to stop people from applying ED with 2.4/163 UPWARD TREND, or whatever, but these two seem to actually mean it -- it seems to be more like a binding early action. The only benefit is that you're guaranteed a quicker response. People are accepted and waitlisted from ED applications based on the same standards as RD, and the only flat rejection at the 3.5/173+ level (the 3.42/174) is from an ED.

Why do you think Chi and CLS are out? Based on your numbers there were people who got accepted on LSN
Not out, I guess, just unlikely. Chicago's 25th percentile GPA went up a *lot* in 2012 as a result of new scholarship money luring a lot of kids in with YHS type numbers, which makes it less likely that they'll accept splitter-type candidates this cycle.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 pm

PigBodine wrote:
Strange wrote:
PigBodine wrote:

Not out, I guess, just unlikely. Chicago's 25th percentile GPA went up a *lot* in 2012 as a result of new scholarship money luring a lot of kids in with YHS type numbers, which makes it less likely that they'll accept splitter-type candidates this cycle.
Yeah, I'm thinking of not even applying there. Unless they give me a fee waiver :D You look like you got a good shot at CLS though

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Strange wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking of not even applying there. Unless they give me a fee waiver :D You look like you got a good shot at CLS though
Be sure to check for a hidden waiver- I didn't realize I had one until yesterday. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bhagerty315

New

Post by bhagerty315 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

thatkid wrote:
Strange wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking of not even applying there. Unless they give me a fee waiver :D You look like you got a good shot at CLS though
Be sure to check for a hidden waiver- I didn't realize I had one until yesterday. :wink:
I was the same way - went to apply and was pleasantly surprised when I didn't have to pay (save the processing fee)!

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm

It's definitely interesting to think about. I think that, based on the data from LSN, both NYU and Columbia don't give any kind of bump for ED -- a lot of schools have a sort of boilerplate 'ED will not make up for a weak overall application' thing to stop people from applying ED with 2.4/163 UPWARD TREND, or whatever, but these two seem to actually mean it -- it seems to be more like a binding early action. The only benefit is that you're guaranteed a quicker response. People are accepted and waitlisted from ED applications based on the same standards as RD, and the only flat rejection at the 3.5/173+ level (the 3.42/174) is from an ED.

You may be right. It is hard to tell.

Well anyway, I took the gamble, so hopefully in future cycles potential NYU ED applicants will see me on LSN and benefit from my experience.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:

You may be right. It is hard to tell.

Well anyway, I took the gamble, so hopefully in future cycles potential NYU ED applicants will see me on LSN and benefit from my experience.
Right on. It could help. It couldn't possibly hurt. If you're 100% sure that NYU is the right school for you, there's not really any downside.

80eight

Bronze

Post by 80eight » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
No.

Ughh can't stand looking at this graph. That 172 line gets my hopes up way too high.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yoiav

Bronze

Post by yoiav » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:17 pm

finally...UR and 10/27

mattbarnes123

New

Post by mattbarnes123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:53 pm

still processing and submitted 9/15 ED :/

Yeags

Bronze

Post by Yeags » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Submitted and faxed in ED contract today
3.73/171, here's to hoping o_o

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Checking in: just submitted. This is the second application I've placed - the process is daunting. It all makes me feel like I'm missing something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”