NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
admisionquestion

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby admisionquestion » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 am

I have not been following this thread at all. Can someone please give me a primer on the status of NYU decisions. I applied RD in mid September. LSP has me as "strong consider" once factoring in URM status. No response back and no movement on my status checker since UR in mid October.

Any insight would be appreciated.

caminante

Postby caminante » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:40 pm

thelong wrote:Just went under review today. Moving fast!

You're already under review? I submitted 12/22 and haven't gone under review yet. Should I be concerned? Maybe they just fast track the 177+ers ;)

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:00 pm

caminante wrote:

You're already under review? I submitted 12/22 and haven't gone under review yet. Should I be concerned? Maybe they just fast track the 177+ers ;)

Maybe they're just shuffling the December takers along now that the batch is in? I don't know. It's the only one of the four I just applied to to have moved past "received."

I'd love to snag NYU. So far my top option is William and Mary.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 pm

I have not been following this thread at all. Can someone please give me a primer on the status of NYU decisions. I applied RD in mid September. LSP has me as "strong consider" once factoring in URM status. No response back and no movement on my status checker since UR in mid October.

Any insight would be appreciated.

JonnyBart

Postby JonnyBart » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I applied in mid-November and am still under review. My marks were pretty short of par (164/3.4), but may have a shot due to a connection that works at the school, this was the only reason I applied. I never thought it was a serious option and it seems like my long shot is getting longer. :wink:

Congrats to all who got in, I visited the school over the summer and its really something unique.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 am

Killingly wrote:NYU updated my address today. I be optimistic and take this trivial event as a positive sign.

Don't rain on my parade.

Actually, this seems to be a very positive sign based on what happened way back in late December! I'd say this is a precursor to a DLS very soon.

By contrast, my address did not update. Guess I should brace myself for some bad news soon....

semantic

Postby semantic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Haven't been following, don't want to catch up on 100+ pages...

My application is still being processed. Is something wrong?

edit: applied early Dec.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I would love some insight into my question still... but this is the best response I have so far:

I took all LSN from last years cycle. Then took the data from Everyone who went complete by the end of October. Then looked at decision dates. The following picture is the data.

This might tell us something but it might not. I can't think of any big reason to think decision dates would be hugely different this year, but it is a fairly small sample size.

It looks like last year, if you went complete by the end of October and had not heard by January then you had a 2 in 12 chance of being accepted. Can someone please give me some input that will help me feel less terrible about this data.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:56 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
Killingly wrote:NYU updated my address today. I be optimistic and take this trivial event as a positive sign.

Don't rain on my parade.

Actually, this seems to be a very positive sign based on what happened way back in late December! I'd say this is a precursor to a DLS very soon.

By contrast, my address did not update. Guess I should brace myself for some bad news soon....

I mean, they will want to sent a rejection letter to the proper address as well.

But here's to hoping.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:06 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I would love some insight into my question still... but this is the best response I have so far:

I took all LSN from last years cycle. Then took the data from Everyone who went complete by the end of October. Then looked at decision dates. The following picture is the data.

This might tell us something but it might not. I can't think of any big reason to think decision dates would be hugely different this year, but it is a fairly small sample size.

It looks like last year, if you went complete by the end of October and had not heard by January then you had a 2 in 12 chance of being accepted. Can someone please give me some input that will help me feel less terrible about this data.

Thanks for this. I think the consensus is, unfortunately, those of us who went UR in early December and earlier are headed for the waitlist or worse. I don't think sending a LOCI will help at this point - a decision's already been made. Save it for later.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:I would love some insight into my question still... but this is the best response I have so far:

Thanks for this. I think the consensus is, unfortunately, those of us who went UR in early December and earlier are headed for the waitlist or worse. I don't think sending a LOCI will help at this point - a decision's already been made. Save it for later.

I don't like this. I don't like this one bit. But I feel that it is true.

poultry

Postby poultry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi all, I will appreciate it if someone could clarify for me why I haven't got any email acknowledgment since submitting my app Jan. 12th...I know I am probably too late to beat the cycle. But how long was the wait between submitting and receiving any email communication with them for your guys? Thanks!

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:58 pm

poultry wrote:Hi all, I will appreciate it if someone could clarify for me why I haven't got any email acknowledgment since submitting my app Jan. 12th...I know I am probably too late to beat the cycle. But how long was the wait between submitting and receiving any email communication with them for your guys? Thanks!

I submitted on the 5th and didn't hear anything until the 11th. So, you should be getting something in the next couple of days.

poultry

Postby poultry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:59 pm

When did you submit? Was there any completion email sent to you shortly after you submitted? Thank you!! I am anxiously waiting.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:01 pm

poultry wrote:When did you submit? Was there any completion email sent to you shortly after you submitted? Thank you!! I am anxiously waiting.

I didn't get anything till I got my status checker, which they generally send out on Tuesdays.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:03 pm

thelong wrote:
poultry wrote:Hi all, I will appreciate it if someone could clarify for me why I haven't got any email acknowledgment since submitting my app Jan. 12th...I know I am probably too late to beat the cycle. But how long was the wait between submitting and receiving any email communication with them for your guys? Thanks!

I submitted on the 5th and didn't hear anything until the 11th. So, you should be getting something in the next couple of days.

NYU only sends the emails once a week on a certain day, so if you missed last week's, you have to wait until this week's Email Day :)

poultry

Postby poultry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you guys! Although I am not holding my hope too high at this stage of the cycle...wish us all good luck!

caminante

Postby caminante » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 am

Sorry to bug everyone again... Is there anything between "application being processes" and "under review" for NYU?

I got the status check on 1/4 and my application is still being processed. I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up when submitting that is keeping my application from being incomplete.

Do you think this is relatively normal?

AS33

Postby AS33 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 am

Still UR from 11/14. I just want my ding already...

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 am

caminante wrote:Sorry to bug everyone again... Is there anything between "application being processes" and "under review" for NYU?

No.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

caminante wrote:Sorry to bug everyone again... Is there anything between "application being processes" and "under review" for NYU?

I got the status check on 1/4 and my application is still being processed. I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up when submitting that is keeping my application from being incomplete.

Do you think this is relatively normal?

Yes there is, I submitted 10/13 and was at "applicaiton being processed" for while, only went under review 11/2

quaker10

Postby quaker10 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Killingly wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

Don't rain on my parade.

I mean, they will want to sent a rejection letter to the proper address as well.

But here's to hoping.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my address updated in December (something like Apt. changed to #) and I had a deferral on my hands..

Pt324

Postby Pt324 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Are we expecting movement today for NYU applicants? Been UR since 1/9, crossing my fingers

semantic

Postby semantic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Does anyone know the average span of time between under review and a decision?

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:01 pm

semantic wrote:Does anyone know the average span of time between under review and a decision?

This will not be helpful to you at all, but it's generally pretty short if you're going to be accepted now that we're past the initial multiple month wait period. Maybe a few weeks? Often less. If you're getting waitlisted or deferred though you won't hear till April probably. So...hopefully you'll hear soon! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”