NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nametaken

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby nametaken » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:26 am

Congrats!!! I'm finally UR today. Crossing my fingers!!

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:04 pm

i'm still 11/11 UR.... anyone else?

mithriliel

Postby mithriliel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:51 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:i'm still 11/11 UR.... anyone else?

I'm still UR 11/14, you aren't alone!

Champion

Postby Champion » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 pm

mithriliel wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:i'm still 11/11 UR.... anyone else?

I'm still UR 11/14, you aren't alone!

Still 11/7 :roll:

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Maybe some movement tomorrow?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Maybe some movement tomorrow?

I've randomly started looking at apartments in NYC. Please let me in tomorrow NYU!!!!!!
I think I'm gonna send in a Why NYU at some point. When should I do this? wait until WL or go ahead in the next few weeks?

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I've randomly started looking at apartments in NYC. Please let me in tomorrow NYU!!!!!!
I think I'm gonna send in a Why NYU at some point. When should I do this? wait until WL or go ahead in the next few weeks?

I'd definitely try to get it added to your file before the initial decision. I know that some schools like to hand pick kids off the wait list based on demonstrated interest through LOCIs, updated resumes, etc., but I think some also rank students based on the strength of their initial application and more or less go down the list as spots open up. I also think the 'no why-x for T6' rule is a little overstated. Don't fill in a template with two random professors and four clinics, or whatever, but if you have a reason you want to be there, let them know. It might just be variance, but I've noticed a major difference in the responses I've gotten based on the why's I've written -- I got accepted RD in the first round at NYU with a really heartfelt why, and deferred at cornell with a 'I can see myself in ithaca for the following nine reasons' type of thing. It can't possibly hurt.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 pm

PigBodine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

I'd definitely try to get it added to your file before the initial decision. I know that some schools like to hand pick kids off the wait list based on demonstrated interest through LOCIs, updated resumes, etc., but I think some also rank students based on the strength of their initial application and more or less go down the list as spots open up. I also think the 'no why-x for T6' rule is a little overstated. Don't fill in a template with two random professors and four clinics, or whatever, but if you have a reason you want to be there, let them know. It might just be variance, but I've noticed a major difference in the responses I've gotten based on the why's I've written -- I got accepted RD in the first round at NYU with a really heartfelt why, and deferred at cornell with a 'I can see myself in ithaca for the following nine reasons' type of thing. It can't possibly hurt.

Would sending a Why NYU after a LOCI be overkill? I will probably wait until Feb if I still haven't heard anything. My PS and LOCI were both mini-Why NYUs

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Killingly wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Would sending a Why NYU after a LOCI be overkill? I will probably wait until Feb if I still haven't heard anything. My PS and LOCI were both mini-Why NYUs

Sounds like overkill to me -- I think a why and a LOCI should basically serve the same purpose. That seems doubly true if your PS was tailored to NYU in the first place. I'm not any kind of expert, though.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:21 pm

PigBodine wrote:Sounds like overkill to me -- I think a why and a LOCI should basically serve the same purpose. That seems doubly true if your PS was tailored to NYU in the first place. I'm not any kind of expert, though.

Mm, you're probably right. Just wanted to be sure I'm not missing any opportunities to tell NYU I love it.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Killingly wrote:
PigBodine wrote:Sounds like overkill to me -- I think a why and a LOCI should basically serve the same purpose. That seems doubly true if your PS was tailored to NYU in the first place. I'm not any kind of expert, though.

Mm, you're probably right. Just wanted to be sure I'm not missing any opportunities to tell NYU I love it.

If you really want to dial the neuroticism up to 11, I remember that one interesting thing that came from that massive report about the UIUC scandal that was floating around in PDF form was that the application summary that the admissions people had in the excel files looked like

GPA LSAT WHY
4.0 180 Y(or N)

In other words, when they wanted to get a quick glance at somebody's stats, they'd just record whether or not they'd written a why, and nothing else. I wouldn't send a why if I were you, but, hey, full disclosure.

klt345

Postby klt345 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:35 am

I am seriously considering sending a why NYU, but my roommate pointed out that a lot of people who have been WL'd or worse from their ED schools may be sending out a wave of Why X as well. I went UR the end of November and haven't gotten a decision yet. I am planning on sending a transcript update within the next few days with a bit of a gpa increase (.05). Would sending a sort of LOCI, with the gpa increase, other updates, and why NYU be helpful? Or should I just send along a Why NYU? Or nothing at all?

I'm new to this forum, I'm sorry if any of these questions have already been answered! Thank you all so much for your help and good luck!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 am

good luck this week. Gosh I hope I get in!!!

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:good luck this week. Gosh I hope I get in!!!

+1

Also, I live in NYC, so if someone has housing questions or anything I'm happy to help!

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:41 pm

klt345 wrote:I am seriously considering sending a why NYU, but my roommate pointed out that a lot of people who have been WL'd or worse from their ED schools may be sending out a wave of Why X as well. I went UR the end of November and haven't gotten a decision yet. I am planning on sending a transcript update within the next few days with a bit of a gpa increase (.05). Would sending a sort of LOCI, with the gpa increase, other updates, and why NYU be helpful? Or should I just send along a Why NYU? Or nothing at all?

I'm new to this forum, I'm sorry if any of these questions have already been answered! Thank you all so much for your help and good luck!

I feel bad you haven't gotten an answer. I wish I had a good one, but here goes. From my point of view, it's never going to hurt you to tell them you want to go there and that your gpa has improved. Some people say to wait to send a LOCI until after you've been waitlisted/held, so maybe send the transcript automatically and just a why NYU rather than a letter that also mentions your gpa thing.

Summary: if it was me, I would probably send a Why NYU to add to my file and send LSAC my transcript to update them. I would wait for an obvious LOCI till later in the year. However, some schools you have to tell them to request your new transcript from LSAC. If that's the case then I would go the LOCI route and mention, 'I have recently updated my transcript with LSAC for your consideration' or whatever.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:44 pm

snehpets wrote:
klt345 wrote:I am seriously considering sending a why NYU, but my roommate pointed out that a lot of people who have been WL'd or worse from their ED schools may be sending out a wave of Why X as well. I went UR the end of November and haven't gotten a decision yet. I am planning on sending a transcript update within the next few days with a bit of a gpa increase (.05). Would sending a sort of LOCI, with the gpa increase, other updates, and why NYU be helpful? Or should I just send along a Why NYU? Or nothing at all?

I feel bad you haven't gotten an answer. I wish I had a good one, but here goes. From my point of view, it's never going to hurt you to tell them you want to go there and that your gpa has improved. Some people say to wait to send a LOCI until after you've been waitlisted/held, so maybe send the transcript automatically and just a why NYU rather than a letter that also mentions your gpa thing.

Summary: if it was me, I would probably send a Why NYU to add to my file and send LSAC my transcript to update them. I would wait for an obvious LOCI till later in the year. However, some schools you have to tell them to request your new transcript from LSAC. If that's the case then I would go the LOCI route and mention, 'I have recently updated my transcript with LSAC for your consideration' or whatever.

I'll freely admit I know nothing but this seems like pretty sound advice to me. good luck!

klt345

Postby klt345 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

snehpets wrote:

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to go with a Why NYU + transcript

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Stuck at 11/7. This saddens me.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Champion wrote:Stuck at 11/7. This saddens me.

11/2. This saddens me as well!

cch24

Postby cch24 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't know if this means anything but I updated all the schools with my new address and I got an auto response from nyu saying they'd be closed until today 9pm. I kind of assumed the pm thing was an error though.

so_fetch

Postby so_fetch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 pm

I am UR as of today 1/4/2012.

Submitted 12/13

Just including in case this nugget of info helps anyone and also wondering - is that normal??! :)

Champion

Postby Champion » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Alright NYU, maybe your waiting for the December LSAT takers to make a decision on me. Their here now! I'll still be remaining hopeful until the end of the month, since you initially passed me up the first time around in early November. Let's bypass the initial waitlist and just flat out accept me. How bout it? Ok, I might be asking for a lot. I'll remain hopeful though...for now.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:16 pm

cch24 wrote:I don't know if this means anything but I updated all the schools with my new address and I got an auto response from nyu saying they'd be closed until today 9pm. I kind of assumed the pm thing was an error though.

Hmmm maybe office is closed till Thursday? Would explain the silence.

A little off-topic, but I just did an address change. Is NYU the only dinosaur in the T14 who does mail notification?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:08 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:
cch24 wrote:I don't know if this means anything but I updated all the schools with my new address and I got an auto response from nyu saying they'd be closed until today 9pm. I kind of assumed the pm thing was an error though.

Hmmm maybe office is closed till Thursday? Would explain the silence.

A little off-topic, but I just did an address change. Is NYU the only dinosaur in the T14 who does mail notification?

Nope. Harvard made me submit everything by mail.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 am

Champion wrote:Alright NYU, maybe your waiting for the December LSAT takers to make a decision on me. Their here now! I'll still be remaining hopeful until the end of the month, since you initially passed me up the first time around in early November. Let's bypass the initial waitlist and just flat out accept me. How bout it? Ok, I might be asking for a lot. I'll remain hopeful though...for now.

I'm still hoping they were waiting out some of the ED deadlines to see who withdraws before making some decisions. I really hope that's what they're doing at least

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”