NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Like it or not, NYU has better PI numbers and placement than its peer schools. So apparently the scholarships/programs/LRAP are enticing more people at NYU to go into PI.


And when did I ever dispute this? I think it's general knowledge.

Your second sentence confounds correlation with causation, however. Maybe people interested in PI are drawn towards NYU because of the programs.

Regardless, I don't see how that point is relevant. I don't care either way. If people want to do PI, then fine by me. If people don't want to do PI, then fine by me.

Umm... that is causation...

To be fair, it could be correlation and not causation. Your reasoning is just wrong.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:41 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Like it or not, NYU has better PI numbers and placement than its peer schools. So apparently the scholarships/programs/LRAP are enticing more people at NYU to go into PI.


And when did I ever dispute this? I think it's general knowledge.

Your second sentence confounds correlation with causation, however. Maybe people interested in PI are drawn towards NYU because of the programs.

Regardless, I don't see how that point is relevant. I don't care either way. If people want to do PI, then fine by me. If people don't want to do PI, then fine by me.

Umm... that is causation...

To be fair, it could be correlation and not causation. Your reasoning is just wrong.


Lol no. It doesn't necessarily have to be causation. Stop being such a troll.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Like it or not, NYU has better PI numbers and placement than its peer schools. So apparently the scholarships/programs/LRAP are enticing more people at NYU to go into PI.


And when did I ever dispute this? I think it's general knowledge.

Your second sentence confounds correlation with causation, however. Maybe people interested in PI are drawn towards NYU because of the programs.

Regardless, I don't see how that point is relevant. I don't care either way. If people want to do PI, then fine by me. If people don't want to do PI, then fine by me.

Umm... that is causation...

To be fair, it could be correlation and not causation. Your reasoning is just wrong.

You used the word BECAUSE. Look at that word, particularly the last 5 letters of it. There's your answer chief.

Lol no. It doesn't necessarily have to be causation. Stop being such a troll.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Let me make it patently simple for you:

You claim that the "scholarships/programs/LRAP are enticing more people at NYU to go PI." In other words, people already at NYU are motivated to go to PI because of the scholarships/programs/LRAP.

My claim was that this may be erroneous. Perhaps people choose NYU because NYU is well known for having a PI focus.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:53 pm

My first statement was directed a population of applicants, not NYU students. Scholarships is something that affects applicants, not current students.

But I do thank you for your off-base condescending attitude. Carry on.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:54 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:My first statement was directed a population of applicants, not NYU students. Scholarships is something that affects applicants, not current students.

But I do thank you for your off-base condescending attitude. Carry on.


You referenced programs and LRAP as well. You should have written it correctly in the first place -- or maybe you were just wrong and are trying to backtrack now.

You're welcome. Thanks for getting your panties in a bunch and for trolling NYU.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:My first statement was directed a population of applicants, not NYU students. Scholarships is something that affects applicants, not current students.

But I do thank you for your off-base condescending attitude. Carry on.


You referenced programs and LRAP as well. You should have written it correctly in the first place -- or maybe you were just wrong and are trying to backtrack now.

You're welcome. Thanks for getting your panties in a bunch and for trolling NYU.

Programs and LRAP affect whether or not applicants as well dumbass. Your "counterexample" was the exact situation I had in mind when I made the comment I did. In fact, it was the only thing I had in mind.

And I'm not trolling for NYU. I'm just trying to give an accurate portrayal, and when you say things that are wrong I correct them. Sorry I have to do that so damn often.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 pm

LOL, sure :roll:

If that was what you had in mind, you should have said it in the first place. Articulating your thoughts coherently is a great skill to have.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:LOL, sure :roll:

If that was what you had in mind, you should have said it in the first place. Articulating your thoughts coherently is a great skill to have.

How are you such an insufferable person? Just because you misread something you think I can't articulate my thoughts? I truly am glad you don't like NYU.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Curious1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 pm

So much hate and anger everywhere today...see the Bin Laden thread.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:04 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:LOL, sure :roll:

If that was what you had in mind, you should have said it in the first place. Articulating your thoughts coherently is a great skill to have.

How are you such an insufferable person? Just because you misread something you think I can't articulate my thoughts? I truly am glad you don't like NYU.


I never said I didn't like NYU. RC fail, again.

I didn't misread it. You didn't articulate it correctly.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:LOL, sure :roll:

If that was what you had in mind, you should have said it in the first place. Articulating your thoughts coherently is a great skill to have.

How are you such an insufferable person? Just because you misread something you think I can't articulate my thoughts? I truly am glad you don't like NYU.


I never said I didn't like NYU. RC fail, again.

I didn't misread it. You didn't articulate it correctly.

PM'd because this is super irrelevant to this thread.

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby spek » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:48 pm

This might be a silly question but does it look bad not to apply for any named scholarships?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Curious1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 pm

spek wrote:This might be a silly question but does it look bad not to apply for any named scholarships?


Would like to know this as well.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:LOL, sure :roll:

If that was what you had in mind, you should have said it in the first place. Articulating your thoughts coherently is a great skill to have.

How are you such an insufferable person? Just because you misread something you think I can't articulate my thoughts? I truly am glad you don't like NYU.


I never said I didn't like NYU. RC fail, again.

I didn't misread it. You didn't articulate it correctly.

PM'd because this is super irrelevant to this thread.


i think y'all should get married and make nice little anger babies

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 pm

in addition, im assuming no one has gotten a confirmation email from nyu yet? anybody back me up on this?

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby SA1928 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 am

spek wrote:This might be a silly question but does it look bad not to apply for any named scholarships?


I don't think it would look bad to not apply. Most of them promote a specific field of law or have requirements that you may not meet (like the AnBryce, you have to be 1st in your family to go to graduate school) so I don't think they would penalize you for not applying to one of them. If you do meet the requirements of a scholarship/have an interest in one of the fields the scholarship promotes, I imagine it would be in your best interest to apply though...more for personal reasons (chance at $$$!) than for the school thinking anything. I don't know though, just my best guess :)

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:02 pm

SA1928 wrote:
spek wrote:This might be a silly question but does it look bad not to apply for any named scholarships?


I don't think it would look bad to not apply. Most of them promote a specific field of law or have requirements that you may not meet (like the AnBryce, you have to be 1st in your family to go to graduate school) so I don't think they would penalize you for not applying to one of them. If you do meet the requirements of a scholarship/have an interest in one of the fields the scholarship promotes, I imagine it would be in your best interest to apply though...more for personal reasons (chance at $$$!) than for the school thinking anything. I don't know though, just my best guess :)

This seems pretty accurate. There are a lot of people that wouldn't fall into any of the categories of named scholarships (I would be one of them).

ohhailawschool
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby ohhailawschool » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Has anyone received a confirm from NYU-- received/complete? Still playing the waiting game with them, and just wondering if everyone else is in the same boat...?

sea15
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby sea15 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:52 pm

A few questions for those applying for named scholarships. It says to send an extra LOR, which I have. Do I need to somehow designate this? Also, I have chosen to use my PS as my RTK essay. Should I reattach it there or what to do? The website says to indicate it on the application, but there's nowhere to do so! Anyone run into these problems?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 pm

sea15 wrote:A few questions for those applying for named scholarships. It says to send an extra LOR, which I have. Do I need to somehow designate this? Also, I have chosen to use my PS as my RTK essay. Should I reattach it there or what to do? The website says to indicate it on the application, but there's nowhere to do so! Anyone run into these problems?


In my PS I just titled it as "Personal Statement and RTK Essay, Name, LSAC#" in the header. I didn't re-attach it because that would be weird. I just included an extra LOR but I didn't designate it in any way because there was no space to do so... I'm hoping they'll read it + realize!

ohailawschool wrote:Has anyone received a confirm from NYU-- received/complete? Still playing the waiting game with them, and just wondering if everyone else is in the same boat...?


I have not heard anything and looking at last year's LSN I don't think we'll hear for some time, sadly >.<

bleylaw
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby bleylaw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 pm

So how many people put 1 LOR because that was "required" or did you guys use 2?
Thanks

bleylaw
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby bleylaw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 pm

also i just called nyu and they said they'd send status checker email "soon" lol

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:59 pm

bleylaw wrote:So how many people put 1 LOR because that was "required" or did you guys use 2?
Thanks


I sent off two (to every school, in fact).

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
bleylaw wrote:So how many people put 1 LOR because that was "required" or did you guys use 2?
Thanks


I sent off two (to every school, in fact).


I sent in three to every school, but for NYU one of the three was to demonstrate my passion for public service (RTK scholarship).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”