NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:39 am

indigomachine wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:I originally didn’t write one, but took a trip to New York and visited NYU after I already submitted my application. Since it is one of my top choices (and by top I don’t mean sixth after YHSCC, by the way), I figured I would write one and explain my interest after actually seeing the school. I am also interested in a specific program so I talked about that, as well.


^This^
Like I said before, I didn't write an entirely separate essay, but the end of my PS was pretty "Why NYU". Another reason to throw in there about not doing it though (particularly with NYU and Columbia) (and a reason I considered not writing one) is that a lot of the good things to be said about NYU can be said about Columbia. Both schools have similar programs, placement, and are in the same city. That said, I'm still glad I wrote mine because I was in the same situation as Amanda where NYU was my top choice / not after HYSCC, and I wanted to convey that. Either way, I think that if it doesn't sound like you could've written it for any one of the school's peer institutions, I'd go for it. I'd personally also avoid Why NYU/why Columbia statements that are basically interchangeable. Both are awesome schools with a lot of similar strengths; if you don't have a good reason for one of them being your first choice over the other, then don't write a halfhearted Why X.

Just my 0.02.

edit: might be worth mentioning, I did not explicitly say NYU was my top choice in my PS because I felt like it was redundant with ED.

Why are you: NYU>>Columbia?

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby indigomachine » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:03 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:I originally didn’t write one, but took a trip to New York and visited NYU after I already submitted my application. Since it is one of my top choices (and by top I don’t mean sixth after YHSCC, by the way), I figured I would write one and explain my interest after actually seeing the school. I am also interested in a specific program so I talked about that, as well.


^This^
Like I said before, I didn't write an entirely separate essay, but the end of my PS was pretty "Why NYU". Another reason to throw in there about not doing it though (particularly with NYU and Columbia) (and a reason I considered not writing one) is that a lot of the good things to be said about NYU can be said about Columbia. Both schools have similar programs, placement, and are in the same city. That said, I'm still glad I wrote mine because I was in the same situation as Amanda where NYU was my top choice / not after HYSCC, and I wanted to convey that. Either way, I think that if it doesn't sound like you could've written it for any one of the school's peer institutions, I'd go for it. I'd personally also avoid Why NYU/why Columbia statements that are basically interchangeable. Both are awesome schools with a lot of similar strengths; if you don't have a good reason for one of them being your first choice over the other, then don't write a halfhearted Why X.

Just my 0.02.

edit: might be worth mentioning, I did not explicitly say NYU was my top choice in my PS because I felt like it was redundant with ED.

Why are you: NYU>>Columbia?


PM'd because it's absurdly long and because the end advice would still just be: If you have to choose between the two, go where you think you'd be happiest. I was convinced I'd be happier at NYU than CLS and that this would impact my academic performance, which would in turn have a bigger impact on my employment than going to one or the other. (not to mention that outside of employment impact, being unhappy just blows in general haha)

edit: only other thing worth noting is that both on here and in real life, nearly every law student who I've seen who has commented on the NYU v CLS debate, doesn't really get why there is a debate. Can't really go wrong, so if you think you'd enjoy both schools equally well, go where there's money, or if you absolutely must prestige-whore, go CLS.

User avatar
80eight
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby 80eight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:23 am

I've convinced myself that I'm definitely not getting accepted (any time soon, at least), not because I've come to terms with the fact that my GPA is not high enough, but because my address hasn't updated on my status checker, though it should have my permanent address by now. Oh well.

BKB
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby BKB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:32 am

80eight wrote:I've convinced myself that I'm definitely not getting accepted (any time soon, at least), not because I've come to terms with the fact that my GPA is not high enough, but because my address hasn't updated on my status checker, though it should have my permanent address by now. Oh well.

All people get their address updated before accepted?

User avatar
80eight
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby 80eight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am

A bunch of people (it seems with relatively good numbers) got their addresses updated last week, I believe, but nobody has heard back RD yet as far as we know.

BKB
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby BKB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 am

80eight wrote:A bunch of people (it seems with relatively good numbers) got their addresses updated last week, I believe, but nobody has heard back RD yet as far as we know.

Well that's reasonable..Hope the RDs well come out soon

Themaddh
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Themaddh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:06 am

80eight wrote:A bunch of people (it seems with relatively good numbers) got their addresses updated last week, I believe, but nobody has heard back RD yet as far as we know.


Do we know this to be a good sign or are we just speculating?

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:07 am

Themaddh wrote:
80eight wrote:A bunch of people (it seems with relatively good numbers) got their addresses updated last week, I believe, but nobody has heard back RD yet as far as we know.


Do we know this to be a good sign or are we just speculating?



Rampant speculation? On this forum?

User avatar
80eight
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby 80eight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 am

Themaddh wrote:
80eight wrote:A bunch of people (it seems with relatively good numbers) got their addresses updated last week, I believe, but nobody has heard back RD yet as far as we know.


Do we know this to be a good sign or are we just speculating?


Are you kidding? 100% speculation. It makes sense to me, though.

User avatar
cch24
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby cch24 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 am

More weird speculation: I got another letter of rec on Friday and it's been sent to EVERY school (even the schools that only accept new reports on Mondays) except NYU. So now I've convinced myself that they already made a (probably negative) decision and told LSAC they don't want updates about me anymore.

So sad.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby addy11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 am

Good luck to all of you neurotic bastards on here. I feel like this will be your (our) week.

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby seanPtheB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:21 am

cch24 wrote:More weird speculation: I got another letter of rec on Friday and it's been sent to EVERY school (even the schools that only accept new reports on Mondays) except NYU. So now I've convinced myself that they already made a (probably negative) decision and told LSAC they don't want updates about me anymore.

So sad.


Maybe they only accept new stuff on Tuesday?

User avatar
cch24
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby cch24 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:29 am

seanPtheB wrote:
cch24 wrote:More weird speculation: I got another letter of rec on Friday and it's been sent to EVERY school (even the schools that only accept new reports on Mondays) except NYU. So now I've convinced myself that they already made a (probably negative) decision and told LSAC they don't want updates about me anymore.

So sad.


Maybe they only accept new stuff on Tuesday?


I just looked into it further, which I should have done in the first place. My status checker app says they have the letter already, and LSAC says NYU updates on the 1/15 of every month. Hmm...

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby seanPtheB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:05 am

cch24 wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
cch24 wrote:More weird speculation: I got another letter of rec on Friday and it's been sent to EVERY school (even the schools that only accept new reports on Mondays) except NYU. So now I've convinced myself that they already made a (probably negative) decision and told LSAC they don't want updates about me anymore.

So sad.


Maybe they only accept new stuff on Tuesday?


I just looked into it further, which I should have done in the first place. My status checker app says they have the letter already, and LSAC says NYU updates on the 1/15 of every month. Hmm...


Hm, well, your conclusion from your original post is definitely too radical that's all I can conclude haha

User avatar
lawschool899
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby lawschool899 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 am

80eight wrote:I've convinced myself that I'm definitely not getting accepted (any time soon, at least), not because I've come to terms with the fact that my GPA is not high enough, but because my address hasn't updated on my status checker, though it should have my permanent address by now. Oh well.


i really hope you're wrong as mine hasn't updated either..

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:18 am

lawschool899 wrote:
80eight wrote:I've convinced myself that I'm definitely not getting accepted (any time soon, at least), not because I've come to terms with the fact that my GPA is not high enough, but because my address hasn't updated on my status checker, though it should have my permanent address by now. Oh well.


i really hope you're wrong as mine hasn't updated either..


Mine updated but it didn't add my permanent address. It probably just means they were looking at my app that day or something. Definitely don't think it means you're getting rejected!

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby curiousgeorgia » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 am

snehpets wrote:
lawschool899 wrote:
i really hope you're wrong as mine hasn't updated either..


Mine updated but it didn't add my permanent address. It probably just means they were looking at my app that day or something. Definitely don't think it means you're getting rejected!


Yeah, when mine updated it was only to add my evening phone number or something along those lines, not a major change, so probably nothing significant.

Also, they don't release all RD decisions at once..so even if you don't update to DLS with the first batch, it doesn't mean you're getting WL/rejected (or at least this is what I keep telling myself)

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby seanPtheB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 am

I submitted 10/30 and my last update was 12/1. My address is still my temp. one too. For those neurotically speculating about what updates mean.

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby law2015 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 am

Can someone please explain to me the whole address change thing. how do you know when it changes? I thought everyone had their address in the upper left corner of the status checker.

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby maxpower430 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:54 am

So I submitted over the weekend (got delayed with RTK stuff, probably shouldn't have waited and am kicking myself now, but that's life I guess), but good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those who got in.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:50 pm

law2015 wrote:Can someone please explain to me the whole address change thing. how do you know when it changes? I thought everyone had their address in the upper left corner of the status checker.


It's not really a thing, just lots of speculation. A few of us have had our status checkers update in unclear ways (the status checker app shows that you have an update but it's not always clear what it is). I don't think anyone has really had their address change, some people think their evening phone number was added. Thus far it hasn't meant anything and the only way anyone's been able to tell as far as I can see is by using the status checker app (lsstatuscheck.com).

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby law2015 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 pm

snehpets wrote:
law2015 wrote:Can someone please explain to me the whole address change thing. how do you know when it changes? I thought everyone had their address in the upper left corner of the status checker.


It's not really a thing, just lots of speculation. A few of us have had our status checkers update in unclear ways (the status checker app shows that you have an update but it's not always clear what it is). I don't think anyone has really had their address change, some people think their evening phone number was added. Thus far it hasn't meant anything and the only way anyone's been able to tell as far as I can see is by using the status checker app (lsstatuscheck.com).


Thank you, I was going crazy trying to figure out what people meant.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

so 2 hours to go 8)

calitodc
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby calitodc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Strange wrote:so 2 hours to go 8)


My address changed from "Apt. B" to "#B" sometime last week, which I think is technically the correct USPS way of doing it. Very strange.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015 Applicants

Postby Strange » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 pm

calitodc wrote:
Strange wrote:so 2 hours to go 8)


My address changed from "Apt. B" to "#B" sometime last week, which I think is technically the correct USPS way of doing it. Very strange.


Not strange at all, they need to make sure its accurate before they send you your acceptance letter :wink:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”